Silver Tops: Development - Re-Engineering Spinning Tops

Finally got round to doing some more designing of my Silver Tops lately (rc car designing, grr Argh! ) , so here's some pictures of what's been ordered so coming soon! Hopefully most are quite obvious what they are so no prizes for guessing

Plus a range of additional weight disks too such as the old Samurai WD and others like the Revolver Attack WD. Hopefully in under two weeks time I'll be I'll be able to show pics and maybe battles / assemblies of them all completed
Fantastic work and loving the intense look of all the details. Grin

Good start on the Chrome Wheel as well. Smile
Cyber Dragoon, and Driger v2. I love the Dragoon GT. The design is AWESOME. I'll be ordering the Cyber Dragoon and Dragoon GT next, for sure.
Thank you for your hard work in this. You have made this kid at heart very happy today.

If I may, the only thing that I think keeps this from being the perfect solution is the bolts being visible on the AR and that at the moment there seems to be no way to make all the parts in each distinctive section of the blade look seamless...
Minor aesthetic gripes from a huge fan.
Its just subtle nuances in the parts that would be difficult to capture in my opinion.

Keep up the amazing work...I feel like your on to the truest solution to make blading the fun it was both in life and in the show. The true feeling of having "your" own blade in design and in spirit.
I've PMed you about a possible order, make sure to check it out Grin
So, been a while since my last update but I've been quite busy, whether making parts, designing or brainstorming so I apologise for those that have been waiting on an update.

If I wanted I could remove the bolts, I just like the bolts as many of the plastic mouldings have them and they add to the idea of them being functional in my opinion.

Anyway, here's some pictures of some of the things I've been working on lately:

Driger V2
MKII Spin gear design, now outdated my MKIII. MKI had 2 grub screws but came loose after some use, MKII had an M3 thread and a tool so cost was higher, MKIII now is compatible with plastic blade bases, can be left / right spin and can be fitted with a bearing shaft.
Whiger Chromewheel. 48mm diameter, stainless steel upper half and aluminium lower half. Compatible with other chromewheels.
Random selection of plastic gen weight disks
Dragoon GT attack ring. The first use of aluminium in my attack rings
Galzzly attack ring. Compatible with all other free spinning attack rings
Lay over of mfb launcher pattern to hms format
Beylon will recognise this order. Driger G with a bearing core, another Dranzer F and BC01 or "Jaws" metalwheel. Also other little things such as plastic to mfb launcher adaptors and a few spacers.
Had a go at blackening a Dragoon MS running core and a Bearing Core. Also got some Bearing Cores 3D printed although they have a strange texture to them.
Any questions ask Smile

Also working on an "ultra" launcher but that's still in early design stages
God I love that spin gear detail, it actually looks like an engine XD <3

Nice work. Smile
Spoiler [Image: 20131222_140806.jpg.html] Why are you making illegal parts you can't use them in tournaments however I like this one what do you call the fusion wheel?
Just PMd regarding an order, plase let me know if you can supply it. Great work!
Thank you all for the feedback Smile

Annoying-Fork, I'm just scratching the surface, you'll like what's coming in the future

Saber Leopard, that one is called BC01 / Jaws. Made it for Beylon so his initial design idea and then I converted it into something that can can be produced and used. I can't remember the weight of it although Beylon probably has the measurements of it, from memory it was comparable in weight to MFB wheels.
I live in the UK and know few others here that are into Beyblades / Spinning Tops, so a tournament isn't something I'd ever go to, these are just a hobby and experiment, they'd also be really obvious if I did try using them at a tournament haha.

Mostrok, just read your message and will get back to you to sort details etc, I'm not able to make much parts for the next month or so which is explained in my update below.

Update Time!

I have been away from Beyblade parts etc for a few weeks now due to starting a new job with different work hours and also some exciting news! But in May I'm hoping to return back with even better parts than before and here's the explanation:

Getting parts laser cut was a good starting point, low set up cost and could try some ideas out very easily. However waiting a week for parts to arrive once they had been ordered, having to drill holes as laser cutting can't make round holes easily and a high minimum charge for getting parts made. However the main issue was that I had to either weld or bolt parts together and everything was just 2D detail so not very nice looking compared to injection moulded parts.

Therefore I have ordered in the last week one of these (one on the right): http://stoneycnc.co.uk/html/Images/image...hinesA.JPG

And here's one in action on aluminium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOKtzDEADU

It's not arriving til May and then I've got to assemble it which should be good fun, but I'll then be able to make one piece CNC parts more accurately and detailed than laser cutting.

I'm going to be using 6082 grade Aluminium, a common all purpose strong aluminium with good corrosion resistance, machinability etc so will stand up to alot of use but not be so damaging to other parts. I would use 7075 grade aluminium however it is not easy to get hold of in small quantities but we shall see.

Here's a sneak peak of what a Dragoon MS Attack Ring will look like, got some more detailing on the top to do and the underneath needs machining when flipped over but will take under an hour to machine the whole attack ring in solid aluminium as opposed to waiting a week and then tapping threads: This is a 46mm Blank for a HMS attack ring that will take just over 4 minutes to machine plus tool changes. I'll make a small batch of these then cut out attack rings shapes to reduce time spent loading and unloading the machine: Here's a sped up simulation video for machining this blank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBPddeKOQg

When my CNC arrives there'll be pics etc and I'll be able to continue making parts. For now I'm going to be having a clearout of old laser cut parts such as weight disks and attack rings so look out for low cost parts Grin
Very interesting update! So you can flip the first milling run to do the underside... Can you do the same with the four actual sides? That is, assuming you design a separate "support" to hold the bey in place while you mill.

And you're set on aluminium? No more stainless? Or is that just a matter of principle?

I didn't realise Saber Leopard was talking about the BC01. I've included a picture of the finished version. It's had a few epic fights now - so you can see the metal (from its victims) building up along the ridges of the wings. Truly hardcore. I'll be doing a more detailed review of the BC01 and a selection of other Silver Tops over on Formula Bei next week.

It comes with a cleverly designed clear-wheel adaptor too - so you can use any old MFB clear wheel with it. It is also perfectly compatible with all standard facebolts, tracks and tips - I'm just using my own facebolt for the picture. I think it goes without saying this thing is a work of art... A work of art, that rips its enemies in twain!
The plan is make up a couple of fixtures so that I can hold all three formats in the centre and just make some "pucks" which have the centres machined from a flat plate then cut to a rough diameter. Then when the pucks are needed, bolt it to a fixture, machine the top, machine the underneath amd engrave it with my name / markings, a part number / name, date it was made or something similar then good to go.

For the sides if I was to add detail to the sides, I've also got a matching 4 axis upgrade ordered which is like a bolt on lathe which can rotate. This is what I'm hoping to make all spin gears and running cores from as it takes around 2 hours to make a core or spin gear which isn't viable. Whereas the new equipment will allow me to turn it on a do something else at the same time, a bit like an employee you pay with electricity.

Aluminium is much closer in weight to plastic so makes it fairer against older parts and less dangerous in homes. Therefore it's a but easier to make things you can fut ball bearings in to adjust performance characteristics like in older Draciel's. I'll also be able to cut out 2mm Stainless the same as a laser cutter can but with a nicer finish to it so parts that require weight or resilience like your BC01 can still attain their performance and endurance. I would use 7075 aircraft aluminium however it is very expensive although is tougher than stainless steel but at the weight of aluminium!

I'm also going to try to incorporate Carbon Fibre into some parts too, it's a strange but great material to work with, and carbon is hard to drill by hand so a router will make that very easy!

Really it's the next evolution of my parts, I could make billet plastic mould tools but metal products are my focus for now - much more fun to battle!

Good to see the BC01 holding up well Grin and looking forward to the review in your blog. As I have my CNC software I am getting some programs ready whilst waiting for the machine kit to arrive. Dragoon MS, Bearing Core, BC02 and a couple of other requests I need to catch up on. So some previews of designs can be expected in the near future.
Alluminium is a beautiful alloy indeed, I look forward to the up and coming inventions~

Robotic Beys forever
Juste read your post! very interested on what you are planning and on getting news from you about my request.

Cheers!
Whilst sorting out the templates and measurements of MFB parts so that I have a record of all 3 formats and how they fit together and their tolerances I had an idea for adding an extra playing level of gameplay to MFB pop into my head. I've seen quite a few "design a new Beyblade series" entries that involve magnets and have always wanted an excuse to buy some Neodymium magnets to fiddle with so decided to replace the face bolt with a "pin" that holds the wheels to the track so during play it can be possible to dislodge the opponents wheels from the track creating a win... or atleast allowing quick wheel changes.

The concept of using magnets seems worth an investigation from all the ideas others have come up with that revolve around magnets. As I'm going to be using Neodymium magents I've added "Neo" to the parts that will use this holding system.

The pictures are of Whyger 120WSF (work in progress still), based around Berserker Byakko as with my machine I will be able to create much better detail. Also have tracks from 70 (7mm height) upto 250 (25mm height) in 10 (1mm) increments drawn up.

Basic 70 to 250 tracks lined up Side view: Cross sectional view of Whyger Lower view of Whyger Internal shape of a tip Lower view of Whyger Neo Cutaway view showing the magnet and holding system It works with a 8mm diameter, 1mm thick magnet that should give around 400grams of pulling force, as the pin is only 2mm diameter at the magnet this should give 25grams of pulling force (a guess that the surface area affects the pull this way) . Experimentation will let me find out what sort of force is needed so I'll adjust the diameter of the pin to adjust the holding force.

As the track is much lighter than a wheel not much force would be needed to separate the two parts in a battle hence I've gone for this low starting force. Also as the internal height with a magnet instead of a bolt will be much smaller it would be possible to make bearing tips for low profile tracks such a 70, but look the same from the outside as a normal facebolt set up.

I'm hoping to get the wheel designed before my machine arrives so I have a complicated and detailed shape ready to test out it's limits.
Eeeeeee I love news.

I also love the gameplay mechanic you detailed, magnets involved especially, since they always gave that extra spark of life. Smile
Depending on how long machining will take the price of an aluminium track will be between £5 and £10, a bit more than plastic parts but you can't specify your own plastic parts in toy shops. An aluminium tip should be around £5 to try and make these parts show custom made parts can be affordable.

I could make up mold tools to use plastic resin but plastic isn't my main idea generation currently.

Hopefully soon be able to get the Whyger wheel fully designed for opinions!
My CNC Router has landed!

Got some building to do before I can use it however it is quite satisfying building it up.

So far I can conclude that for an entry level CNC machine it is very high quality, came packaged very well and everhthing safely wrapped up, nice finish on the parts, good use of space and just general well designed - what I expected from buying a German machine. The only niggles I have come across so far is the orange powder coating can hinder adjustment of bolts in the holes / slots however the instructions are written to include this so has been thought of, the other niggle is the threaded shafts run in a threaded boss instead of rollers so I would expect if it was to wear out (which I highly doubt) then I would suspect the bosses to wear out first. But I am very happy now I've got it! Grin

As it arrived All parts laid out Instruction manual and what it should look like Spindle holder / router holder X axis (left and right) aluminium extrusion fitted Right hand side upright, needs a longer one making to allow more z axis travel (up and down) Right upright fitted and partway through the left upright and stepper motor assembly before packing up for tonight This is how far I have gotten before having to pack up for the evening, more assembling tomorrow and hopefully Saturday have some practice useage!

When it's up and running it will be time to start making parts again as I haven't made anything since February! Gasp
(May. 15, 2014  11:00 PM)lowen93 Wrote: My CNC Router has landed!

Got some building to do before I can use it however it is quite satisfying building it up.

So far I can conclude that for an entry level CNC machine it is very high quality, came packaged very well and everhthing safely wrapped up, nice finish on the parts, good use of space and just general well designed - what I expected from buying a German machine. The only niggles I have come across so far is the orange powder coating can hinder adjustment of bolts in the holes / slots however the instructions are written to include this so has been thought of, the other niggle is the threaded shafts run in a threaded boss instead of rollers so I would expect if it was to wear out (which I highly doubt) then I would suspect the bosses to wear out first. But I am very happy now I've got it! Grin

When it's up and running it will be time to start making parts again as I haven't made anything since February! Gasp

REALLY looking forward to this Grin
The box arrives, things get incredibly more serious up in here!

As always I'll habitually visit this thread for any future updates. Smile
This looks awsome! there are sooo many options to use it? one question, this machine can work on stainless steel?

Cheers!
Ah! The new beast machine!

The CNC looks about how I expected with a few bits of flashy better-than-usual to make it interesting. I'm super keen to see some test runs (just any old thing) for gauging its tolerance. The old laser cutting seemed so precise, it'll be interesting to see the comparison.

In regards to your magnetic play mechanic... I remember seeing the Hasbro Stealth Battlers for the first time and thinking: so these are Beyblades with self-destruct buttons built in? For the longest time I wondered why the next official Takara generation didn't take advantage of that - Beyblades that are designed to literally destroy each other (even if the destruction was a gimmick). Being able to burst apart a blade is a GREAT way to encourage new attack types and especially when the "neo" parts are compatible with the existing range.

Imagine using "neo" parts within the Limited rules. That would be seriously epic - the most hardcore blading format to date.

My own research has been dedicated to building designs that can literally destroy the opposing blade - regardless of any inbuilt mechanisms. But I respect the notion that this might be deliberately built-in to avoid having to rebuild/rebuy your blade from scratch each time it is destroyed in battle. Not sure if 400gm is going to be enough against your custom designs but overall the idea is a noble one - as if each blade is fighting to protect it's weakest point: the "neo pin" at its centre.

A whole new way to die in Beyblade. You could make an anime out of that, right?
Sorry if my question makes zero sense, but would 'jumping base' type components work with the Neo gameplay?

Nonetheless, pure awesomeness. Tongue_out Mortal Beyblade Combat FTW.
That Driger V2 0.o
(Jun. 11, 2014  5:18 PM)Annoying-Fork Wrote: Sorry if my question makes zero sense, but would 'jumping base' type components work with the Neo gameplay?

Ha! The worst Beyblade part in history suddenly has a legitimate use. Awesome.