Silver Tops: Development - Re-Engineering Spinning Tops

That stadium is hardcore Bruce-Willis awesome! Yes, I just said that...
Sorry for the delayed update. I'm getting back to my launcher soon, just needs a few mm of metal added back onto the ends of the prongs so that they can knock the blade off whereas at the moment now I've got all the bearing fitted it just slides back into the other side of the Bey without dropping it off.

Yes the recoil is quite bad haha, only having smash attack seemed less fun when I came up with this construction method to try and replicate Carlos's blade characteristics from the very first episode by just deflecting Beys away. The wings will be cut as all the other parts are then put into a tool I've got to design that can press the wings into the circular shape to fit onto the relevant part of the attack ring. Then they will be TIG welded on as it provides a very strong joint pretty much as good as the actual metal being used unlike MIG welding. I'd like to try out a Dranzer V and V2 design with smaller shaped wings but will need to make sure that they can't be pulled off or bent easily from being attacked.

The list was just a quick thing I typed up, eventually when I've actually got a small stock of parts I'd like to make a proper catalogue up in a pdf or something so that everything is clear and easy to read.

So far HMS seems the best choice for converting the attack rings to a full metal design as it has a simple way of fitting together plus is smaller in size so less likely to cause damage should it escape a stadium. Plus it is already designed with a left and right spin launcher.
Woah! This is pretty cool! Nice job.
My local company don't seem to be interested in the type of cutting I'm after as it's very low quantities compared to what they usually deal with so I've gone back to the previous company and ordered some plastic generation based attack rings that are designed for HMS fitment, ranging between 42mm and 45mm in diameter and 33grams to 47grams depending on if it's upper attack based or not. For what I'm trying to achieve I reckon HMS is already a good basis because it's very simple in design with convinient measurements and locking method plus is already designed for some metal useage so it would be possible to use these designs against existing Beys such as HMS Driger without causing damage to it. The silly recoil I experienced wouldn't be helped much by the higher weight and size so I'm trying a smaller and slightly lighter variant next whilst I try to get my own system's launcher prong design perfected as it currently is a hit and miss whether it launches or not.

Pictured below are the 5 designs I've got on order, from left to right: Master Dragoon AMS, Dranzer S AMS, Galeon S / Galux S AMS, Dragoon H AMS, Driger G AMS and in the centre is my press tool for making the attack wings of Master Dragoon and Driger G round. Simply put the flat part in and press it to shape, hopefully using a vice with a pole on the end of the handle otherwise I'll have to resort to a proper press.

I think I've cleared up the messy naming of these parts so it's clear and understandable where AMS stands for All-hard Metal System, when I start getting some parts I'll sort out a proper "catalogue" for them

Nice press; very simple. Those upper-attack designs are wild. I basically want them. Curious to see the TIG stuff in action - whether it really works or explodes!

Pity about the local manufacturer. That would have been awesome. Large-runs are the main issue with pricing for CNC as well - because the setup fee is incurred for every order. The materials are dirt-cheap but the time is understandably pricey.

By the way, any updates on the stadium?
Haha, i trust my welding so hopefully it won't explode lol, its been designed so that the metal would bend if anything but I've made sure any easy to bend parts are well supported from doing so. I want them to turn up sit i can test them out! Im hoping that sloped wings are less destructive plus i think they look very cool indeed.

I haven't quite finished off the stadium yet, i need to put the mesh on the sides to help contain battles and then smooth out the centre, Im on a bit of a design phase at the moment trying out some new ideas which pictures will follow in the next few days, when i need to test them ill have to finish the stadium then.
I'd feel like a super soldier using one of these. The Dragoons are pretty rad.
Check out these ones then!

I've finally come up with how to make the plastic generation in metal with relative ease and accuracy but still keeping the main components and dimensions. Pictured are Dranzer F, Dragoon F and Wolborg 2 attack ring on a Driger F base which has a bearing core.

I love the designation colors chosen, feels like a contractor in the US Army planned these!
Maybe I am a US army contractor... Tongue_out . The colours just happened to be what came up first in Solidworks, I'd get too picky if I actually spent time choosing each colour when it's just a quick thing to show each main component.

I've been busy on the lathe lately and got started getting some parts made up. I'm using 304 grade stainless steel bar to match the laser cut part material so it stays looking nice without rusting. Machining parts down from either a 25mm or 12mm bar and drilling the relevant holes etc in them.

MPS (Metallised Plastic System) parts I've designed and made.

The tips are made from the 12mm bar, a point added at the end and few extra cuts to decorate it like the originals then held onto a 3mm shaft using 2 M3 x 4mm grub scews. The 3mm shaft is part of the very top piece of the spin gear which work together to hold the whole Bey together but can be taken apart to reverse the direction of the spin gear as shown below.
First the Dragoon F MPS tip and base decorative part, the tip is a 4mm wide flat shaped tip like the original tip. From right to left: Dragoon F Plastic blade base, metallised plastic version test fitted together, base decorative part, tip and 2 M3 x 4mm grub screws and Allen key.
Second the Dranzer F MPS tip and base decorative part, the tip is a 2mm wide flat shaped tip chamfered from 4mm wide like the intermediate original tip. From right to left: Dranzer F Plastic blade base, metallised plastic version test fitted together, base decorative part, tip and 2 M3 x 4mm grub screws and Allen key.
Third the Driger F MPS tip and base decorative part, the tip is a 3mm wide dome shaped tip like the original tip which has been split into two halves where the top half holds the spin gear together like the other tips but it has a small shaft at the other end which allows a 2mm bearing to fit onto then the lower tip, this should give this base very very good endurance. Also the original Driger F base had a clutch system in it which is too fiddly for me to replicate yet, instead I've relied on the looser fit of the bearing and close gap between all the parts so that if the blade is knocked off balance slightly it will lock itself slightly and attack but when sat normal it will freespin for endurance. From right to left: Driger F Plastic blade base, metallised plastic version test fitted together, bearing tip sleeve, bearing tip parts and 2mm bearing and fixings.
All of these three are now finished and ready to be fitted, they just need to be attached and bolted onto the laser cut parts. I've managed to closely mimick the original shapes but have also worked aroung the different way I have to construct the spin gear for what I want and have managed to come up with my own bearing gear set up. Also for any part requests, almost any shape tip that can be imagined can be made.

AMS (All-Hard Metal System) parts I've designed and made

First the Dragoon MS running core. Made to mimick the original by having low height and a 4mm flat tip to sustain attack but due to the lower friction attack will deplete slightly but endurance will rapidly increase. Also I thought that as I haven't come across anywhere that actually makes spare parts or custom parts such as running cores with whatever height and shape, that it might help out people that can't find certain parts easily for casual battle use. These cores are machined from a round bar to the correct shape then the three sections that allow the weight disk and attack ring to fit to it will be laser cut then pressed on to the machined core. Below is a comparison of an original Dragoon MS running core and my AMS core without the pressed on parts fitted.
Now for the very important part, a bearing core like that of Wolborg MS. it uses two bearings on a 2mm shaft like all previous bearing cores, a tip fitted to the end of the shaft then the main body in the normal shape of a core. This is assembled by fitting one bearing to the shaft, fitting it into the main body then fitting the top bearing. The shaft will then have a small bit of loctite or sealant at the top to stop it falling out but can be easily removed and re fitted to change the tip instead of needing the whole assembly. Below are some comparisons of the cores, a part breakdown of the bearing core and Dragoon MS parts loosely fitted onto the bearing core to check the size.
So hopefully in the next week or two I'll have all of these parts fully made up ready to use
Must not lick computer screen. Tongue_out Also if I derped with my last post sorry, I'm vulnerable to overload sometimes.

I like the dynamic you used to somewhat mimic Clutch Base, nice job. :-)
I don;t usually post in this forum. But WOW, these designs are awesome. Would you be able to custom paint them?
Clutch base was one of those miracle accidents, getting the bearing to slide onto a 2mm shaft was quite fiddly on a big lathe but it worked out for the better.

Thank you, I've got to paint one up as a Galux for my girlfriend, it's going to be her christmas present as she likes Mariah from the anime. I was going to use it to see how well painting would come out. If just a display model it could be painted up quite nicely according to however much time gets put in, whereas to use one for battling paint would be scratched off quite easily although I reckon it'd give quite a good battle effect with the scratches. Pics of the Galux will be up when I do eventually paint it but a fair amount of time would go into painting one nicely.
Got a new batch of parts this week, HMS and Plastic attack rings, weight disks, blade bases, spin gear and running cores.

Dragoon MS parts comparison of my parts and original Hasbro parts

Plastic weight disks and HMS weight disk comparison of my parts and Hasbro parts

HMS attack rings I've designed compared to Hasbro parts

Master Dragoon and Driger G HMS attack wings, press tool and welded attack ring

Built up HMS attack rings and bearing running core with 2 MR52ZZ ball bearings

Here's some plastic generation attack rings showing their construction

Some more parts such as the White Tiger blades in HMS format will be arriving soon. Going by the success of free spinning sub attack rings, TIG welded wings and a personal interest in making rarer famous blades I'll never be able to get hold of for real, soon I will be making Dranzer GT and Zeus attack rings in HMS format.

Soon I'll get some videos made of them battling to show how well balanced they are and how much better metal works in a smaller size, mainly because it is easier to launch.
These things are a raw beauty mate! Keep up the good work. Smile
Okaaaay. So this escalated suddenly. I'm basically blown away by your progress - but I do have two requests:

More Videos: because this is basically the only way we know for sure how these things perform.

Exploded View: just to see exactly which parts are needed to construct a full bey (and perhaps include the appropriate launcher) because noobs like me find all these crazy new parts extremely intimidating. There appear to be three different construction methods in total (2 for plastics and 1 for HMS). I don't own and have never seen a plastic or HMS bey up-close. If I buy one of these, I want to be absolutely sure I'm getting the right parts for it to work out-of-the-box. Googling this doesn't really help communicate the feel and fit of each component.

And a question, related to my last request; what are the chances of you making a MFB adaptor/clear-wheel to fit your designs? I can clearly imagine how this would work and I'm sure you must have considered it yourself by now.
Thank you Just That Guy Smile

Thank you for the feedback Beylon, my mind gets carried away when working on these sorts of things and forgets to explain or take pictures as I go lol.

Currently I'm part way through building up some HMS and Plastic type Beys, my intention was to record some battles between them to give an idea to everyone of their performance. I need to make a little instruction booklet to go with parts when they get sold to explain assembly etc, I'm kinda overrun by parts currently as I made a second order after the previous one to try a range of attack rings but I'm working through them slowly.

I had thought about when making some videos that showing a step by step assembly and disassembly of each type would be a good help as everyone has different abilities. That was a very helpful post thank you, I'll keep those thoughts in mind.

I made my own system as a test really of the concept and to get a better understanding of what parts I can get made, it worked and was able to spit MFB Blades out of my wok. To refine down on the rather extreme recoil issue I've gone to the smaller HMS system where the biggest attack rings are no wider than 45mm, but for the challenge and that the plastic generation is a well loved system, I've now tried this one too. So basically I'm doing HMS and Plastic generation parts because of the readiness of launchers and how familiar I am with them, plus that parts such as weight disks I've copied original dimensions as a slightly heavier replacement to the original parts that break easily. Because Plastic and HMS appear to have worked well once, I've finished assembling what I currently have I'm then going to go into doing MFB parts as it's the current system most are familiar with now.

Really it's just down to fitting in the time for designing and building new parts and then testing them, but my future intentions are to make it all as clear as possible to newcomers and to cover making custom parts for all three systems Beyblade has been available in
As before, looking forward to the future! An all-metal Metal Fight Beyblade would be spectacular.
i've been thinking a lot about these things and i'm curious as to whether bits of flint could be put in the bey's on the attack ring and have skateboard grip tape on the sides as well?
would make for an awesome spark show Wink
just a thought out of curiosity.
Taken some quick test videos showing some battles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgRCYtkoSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44t0cC8ssPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3XRAhzLfBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRXU_NfU-sc

(Oct. 26, 2013  5:15 PM)Draodan Wrote: i've been thinking a lot about these things and i'm curious as to whether bits of flint could be put in the bey's on the attack ring and have skateboard grip tape on the sides as well?
would make for an awesome spark show Wink
just a thought out of curiosity.

That would make a good sight, I had thought about whether hardening the steel like a hand file and having raised patches would provide this too, going by the principal of rubbing two hand files against each other making sparks. I'm sure there'll be a really easy method of making them spark
looks like recoil was cut down pretty well! i think it may be the wok that may be the only thing shortening the battles now.
and that sounds like an even better idea than what i had xD i know years ago they used to sell "sundisks" which were basically 4 inch wide weight disks with flint in the ends that sparked on any weight disk. it's some cool stuff Tongue_out
Impressive demos. Smile

I'd definitely love to see Jumping Base reinvented through your methods, lol...

On second thought, that might be suggesting murder.... ffffff....
Man, the videos do your upper attack designs a good service. Awesome.

I also like that you're offering the plastic designs as a complete package now. That's a real good move. Makes my world heaps easier. Can we expect a package offer for the HMS designs as well? I'm torn between the two ideas and am basically in the "get both" frame of mind. But you know, a package would be great. Thoughts?
this is awesome, if I had the money and paypal I would buy some parts from you
I do mean to finish off my metal stadium as the wok does shorten the battles. It also fires them up in the air haha.

That would be one hefty spring lol, the wok i think works better than a jumping base.

Im currently able to do full Plastic beyblades, full metal HMS beyblades and now Im able to make metal Metal saga Wheels and Chromewheels which the first few arriving fairly soon.

Im currently having a 20% sale on til the end of 2013 and have managed to lower the cost of making them which is reflected in the updated buying prices to make them comparable to plastic prices.

Stay aware for the arrival of the metal saga parts Smile