Should the WBO have an app?

As I've been viewing threads and upcoming tournaments, I thought that it would be convenient to Have the WBO but in an app!
Like if a tournament near you was recently posted, you could receive a notification on the details. Also, you could post threads and reply quicker so you don't have to end up not going to a tournament or meet up because of lack of information. Additionally, we could add a faster and more efficient way of talking to members and organizers you are not in direct contact with, like a text message or DM. Finally, it could POSSIBLY be a way for the WBO to make a profit, like with exclusive icons, titles, and merch.

This is a high hope for me, so give it a long thought and Keep blading!
I would love for this to happen. Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't have one already. I kind of expect most things to have apps now a days as it makes it so much easier and enjoyable to access the content. I really hope the WBO gets an app soon I'd definitely use it every day.
I wholeheartedly agree! thanks for you opinion and support!
(May. 06, 2018  5:35 AM)Longunus Wrote: As I've been viewing threads and upcoming tournaments, I thought that it would be convenient to Have the WBO but in an app!
Like if a tournament near you was recently posted, you could receive a notification on the details. Also, you could post threads and reply quicker so you don't have to end up not going to a tournament or meet up because of lack of information. Additionally, we could add a faster and more efficient way of talking to members and organizers you are not in direct contact with, like a text message or DM. Finally, it could POSSIBLY be a way for the WBO to make a profit, like with exclusive icons, titles, and merch.

This is a high hope for me, so give it a long thought and Keep blading!

They already have some merch

Link to the Shop
I'm not sure what to think about this, seeing as much of what you're asking for is already accomplished (or can be accomplished) by the current site? Please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious.

It's usable on mobile, has a tournament notification system (that is being fixed), can post and reply, have a PM system, and you get a special title+badge for getting the passport, and merch is sold. (I don't like paid titles going too far anyway myself, as that's just flaunting who has money and who doesn't.)

It almost sounds like you want a separate/untied app altogether, and I think building a separate community just for mobile is not a good idea. Just divides the discussion and information. Any mobile app of the site would be of a browser with the site loaded, like a good number of sites do. But even then, I'm not sure what's accomplishable with the WBO already having a full plate as it is.

I think it's good that you're trying to think of ways to improve the site, but I'm not sure I see how this fits or is doable at the moment.

I wonder if something like Tapatalk is worth looking into, if that'd make things more friendly for mobile. But I think you have to provide your mobile number into that, and I'm not sure how that'd fair well with parents and whatnot. But perhaps just improving upon the mobile theme would be a good idea, without anything too much extra.
Yea an app would be cool, just so it would be easier to navigate on a smartphone and just be way more practical, please make this happen
If friendliness and navigation is the concern, I really think that's on theme design. Though MyBB might present some level of limitation, web code is very flexible. There's a whole range of frameworks that allow web developers to code like they would for a website and then deploy that as an app on mobile--because many people find writing it through web code to be easier and more comfortable. And then you have just plain web apps (websites that perform more like desktop/mobile applications), and that's just the same code you'd use for any site to begin with. It's just the setup.

So with that said, I think providing feedback on what particular issues there are with the existing mobile setup would be the way to go, allowing for tweaks to be made. For that, you have to be specific (though you probably should be anyway).

Just saying to put the site on a natively-running mobile app doesn't solve any problems and is a vague suggestion at best. Pointing out where actual issues lie and seeing if they can be addressed without making an entire separate project would probably be more doable and even effective. Improvements for mobile would likely lead to improvements for desktop design as well.

MyBB may offer some plugins and tweaks that may help in that area, too.
If you're looking for notifications then that's already there... All you need to do is turn on Notifications for G-Mail and you're good to go...
I would enjoy the accessibility of the app, and getting pictures on there would be 10 times easier.
(May. 07, 2018  5:03 AM)Steeper Turnip Wrote: I would enjoy the accessibility of the app, and getting pictures on there would be 10 times easier.

Why would it be easier? I'm not understanding? For an app of the whole site, you'd still have to upload it to Imgur, Tinypic, etc. and slap it in a post. Exact same method as now. Throwing the site in a native app wouldn't change that.

The forum theme controls the accessibility. All other features would have to be integrated into the site itself.

So an app of the site would basically just be the browser auto-loading the site so you don't have to manually type the address or access your bookmarks. Visual/accessibility changes would be entirely web theme work. Other features would be MyBB plugins, most likely.

I really think this just comes down to wanting better responsive theme design on the mobile end, and then looking into MyBB plugins that would improve other aspects to be more mobile friendly. Unless I'm missing or not understanding something.