Safety on the WBO

(Oct. 19, 2011  2:10 AM)Sparta Wrote: The best thing is just to maybe add to the beginning PM that you need to be careful about who you trust. Obviously a little more specific than that, but it's the basic idea that counts.

Most kids do not read anything about that introductory private message anyway.
At the most recent Toronto tournament, "First Full Year Bash!" some guy came in the gazebo and was just like "Shhhhhhh" and was looking at us weirdly, and tripped and fell on the ground and was like "ooh hhe ooh hee". I also dropped my pencil into the holes there, and he was just like "Nooooooooo" Since I was the co-host, he snatched the book from my hand, looked at the cover, which was a pair of jeans, fell down, laughed, and started reading the names, laughed, and told me to give him the money that people paid; Obviously, I replied saying no, and he just simply left. But he did try to touch me, but I just expected it, and moved his hand away gently.
(Oct. 19, 2011  3:04 AM)Cookies^^ Wrote: At the most recent Toronto tournament, "First Full Year Bash!" some guy came in the gazebo and was just like "Shhhhhhh" and was looking at us weirdly, and tripped and fell on the ground and was like "ooh hhe ooh hee". I also dropped my pencil into the holes there, and he was just like "Nooooooooo" Since I was the co-host, he snatched the book from my hand, looked at the cover, which was a pair of jeans, fell down, laughed, and started reading the names, laughed, and told me to give him the money that people paid; Obviously, I replied saying no, and he just simply left. But he did try to touch me, but I just expected it, and moved his hand away gently.

I think this is a situation that cannot be avoided in some big cities as soon as you leave your house. There are drugged and schizophrenic poor men all over the streets sometimes. I congratulate you for acting calmly with him though, that most likely helped.
(Oct. 19, 2011  3:04 AM)Cookies^^ Wrote: At the most recent Toronto tournament, "First Full Year Bash!" some guy came in the gazebo and was just like "Shhhhhhh" and was looking at us weirdly, and tripped and fell on the ground and was like "ooh hhe ooh hee". I also dropped my pencil into the holes there, and he was just like "Nooooooooo" Since I was the co-host, he snatched the book from my hand, looked at the cover, which was a pair of jeans, fell down, laughed, and started reading the names, laughed, and told me to give him the money that people paid; Obviously, I replied saying no, and he just simply left. But he did try to touch me, but I just expected it, and moved his hand away gently.

Wut!?
(Oct. 19, 2011  3:16 AM)Kai-V Wrote:

I think this is a situation that cannot be avoided in some big cities as soon as you leave your house. There are drugged and schizophrenic poor men all over the streets sometimes. I congratulate you for acting calmly with him though, that most likely helped.

There are technically ways this can be avoided as long as you know the city well enough - holding the tournament at an indoor location, such as an arcade, hobby store, etc. would stop this. Or, in the US, anyway. I am not sure on Canada's tolerance of loopers in public establishments.

I know specifics don't need to be mentioned, but the Autumn Battle Bash brought to mind another issue - what if police do not take such a situation seriously? Should adult tournament hosts result to bringing some manner of insurance policy against violence, or a defense mechanism of their own, in the event that police will not respond properly?

I can promise you that if such a thing happened where I live, and I called the Police, I'd get little more than a snicker from the authorities unless parents themselves were throwing down.

Just a general question...
(Oct. 19, 2011  3:22 AM)Hazel Wrote: I know specifics don't need to be mentioned, but the Autumn Battle Bash brought to mind another issue - what if police do not take such a situation seriously? Should adult tournament hosts result to bringing some manner of insurance policy against violence, or a defense mechanism of their own, in the event that police will not respond properly?

I can promise you that if such a thing happened where I live, and I called the Police, I'd get little more than a snicker from the authorities unless parents themselves were throwing down.

Just a general question...

If it reached the extent, while not extreme, that it did at the recent London tournament, police might not necessarily hurry to the location, but they should really not ignore it. We hold private gatherings and if someone, or someone with other intimidating figures, causes trouble at such gatherings and scares everyone by their actions, they should do something.
Oh, I understand that they should, in theory, but the attitude around here by our Police force, even toward actual noticable crimes, is... lax, to say the least. The response to a scuffle or unwanted presence at a children's top tournament being hosted by an adult would be met with very little interest unless I really pressed and sank time into resolving the issue, which could prove just as detrimental to its success.

I am simply speaking in a hypothetical "What if?" situation - were someone in a situation as such that the police would ignore the disturbance, but the disturbance was greatly interfering with the tournament/potentially invalidating it, what would be the best course of action?

The only somewhat reasonable thing I can come up with is actual martial law on a personal level - having the disruption ceased by tournament going parents, or adults present at the location, but would that be considered an interference worthy of invalidating the tournament in and of itself?

Example: I host a tournament, or attend a tournament hosted by someone younger. Altercation kicks up, involving soured kids/parents/whomever. Not large enough for police to notice, and obviously requiring more immediate attention. Do I intervene on a physical level? Obviously not going Punisher on everyone and knocking teeth out with the butt of a rifle, but restraining/separating? Would that affect the perceptions of the tournament's validity? And, beyond that point, what should be done?

(Keep in mind I am not in the physical condition to actually be a very good intervening force, but it was just an example.)
You just do what a reasonable human being would do : first, ask people to stop, and if it does not work, do try to separate them. Obviously we can excuse battles being interrupted for such rare incidences.

What would invalidate the whole tournament in all of this though ?
(Oct. 19, 2011  4:25 AM)Kai-V Wrote: You just do what a reasonable human being would do : first, ask people to stop, and if it does not work, do try to separate them. Obviously we can excuse battles being interrupted for such rare incidences.

What would invalidate the whole tournament in all of this though ?

I suppose "invalidate" was the wrong term, but in general I imagine there'd be repercussions if a serious incident occurred. Or, rather, I guess I was technically taking the long way around asking if there would be.

Obviously I'd get a warning if I picked up my wife and hit someone in the face with her, but that's a more obvious way of putting it with a more clear response.

I'm also honestly wondering, now, if we have any tournament hosts bringing more serious methods of handling rough situations with them, such as pepper spray. I think it'd be overkill and really more of a liability than anything, but it was a thought that crossed my mind - especially given that some Bladers DO hold tournaments in areas that drunks and loopers are almost unavoidable.
(Oct. 19, 2011  4:41 AM)Hazel Wrote: especially given that some Bladers DO hold tournaments in areas that drunks and loopers are almost unavoidable.
What tournament had this?
(Oct. 19, 2011  4:47 AM)Deikailo Wrote:
(Oct. 19, 2011  4:41 AM)Hazel Wrote: especially given that some Bladers DO hold tournaments in areas that drunks and loopers are almost unavoidable.

|
v

I'm not saying they'll always be at the tournament, but they are in the areas in some places, and being prepared over unprepared might lead some people to do unnecessary things, is my point.

It was just a question that crossed my mind and seemed relevant. Not a major debate point.
(Oct. 19, 2011  4:47 AM)Deikailo Wrote:

First Full Year Bash. Usually drunks that managed to obey traffic laws end up in places that they won't expect; Parks such as High Park at the Gazebo, watching people play beyblade was one of them.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Hazel.
Sorry for bringing life back, but I'm just worried right now because of an event that's going on.

I did go back, and read the safety warnings. But yesterday there was a on new member, trying to create a new tournament..

Any suggestions on what we could do?
(Nov. 26, 2011  5:26 PM)BeybladeStation Wrote: Sorry for bringing life back, but I'm just worried right now because of an event that's going on.

I did go back, and read the safety warnings. But yesterday there was a on new member, trying to create a new tournament..

Can you please be much more specific about the details of the situation that concerns you? I have no idea what you are talking about from this post.
He is saying a new member is trying to start up a tournament.

If their profile says their 53, then be worried BBS.
(Nov. 26, 2011  5:26 PM)BeybladeStation Wrote: Sorry for bringing life back, but I'm just worried right now because of an event that's going on.

Praise him for taking proactive steps in stimulating a community? Or if he is already in an established community, suggest that maybe he take a judging position first before a hosting position.

How does this have anything to do with safety?
(Nov. 27, 2011  12:01 AM)Dan Wrote: If their profile says their 53, then be worried BBS.
You might offend Grandpa Uwik and Grandpa Arupaeo.
Lol. I'm veeeeery far from being a grandpa, but appreciate the thought nonetheless.

The committee approves all tournaments, so I'm sure that they will take care to try and understand who the prospective host is.

Try to remember that it is a lot of work to run a successful tournament, and that surely there are parents and grandparents (53 years old or whatever) who are being asked by their kids to host if an area that doesn't have a lot of experienced bladers. Begged is probably more like it! Like Deikailo says above, we should probably be thankful that some parents care enough about what their kid loves to try and host a tournament for everyone in that community.