Quotes

I searched and there is no similar thread.Andrew

Here is where you can post a quote and explain its importance to you. The quote doesn’t even have to be spectacular as long as you can interpret it and expand on it. Other things to include might be background on the speaker. Posts containing only a quote with no elaboration will be considered SPAM. And,posting a quote saying "I like this quote" or "This quote is cool" is also considered SPAM.

EDIT: You can also quote things from books(but make sure to tell us which one) and song lyrics. Same rules apply though!
Here are a few quotes I found, one right on this site. They all have the same subject, on aging. Enjoy. Smile

"As men get older, the toys get more expensive." Marvin Davis said this, or wrote it , I don't know.

Anyway, this is just kind of funny to me because it is true. For example, I like beyblades right know, and they are not too expensive. But when I get older, my "mid-life crisis" car would be a Lambough, and I would consider that a toy.

"Age is a very high price to pay for maturity." Tom Stoppard.

To me this means that if you want to be mature, you will have to age. In my opinion, if you want to always be a kid, then you will not age on the inside. On the outside, yes, but you will die a kid if you do not mature.

Here's one I found on this site:

"You don't stop playing at the park because you get older, you get older because you stop playing at the park"
~ Hov from Barstarzz

Shabalabadoo actually found this, so credit to him.

Anywho, to me it means that you don't get older because you can't do kid things, it's that you choose to not do those things, and in doing so, you get older on the inside and the outside, not just the outside.

Overall, great quotes to remember, and who knows, they might effect you.

Also, GREAT thread.

Ishiro Honda Wrote:"monsters are tragic beings, they are born too tall too strong too heavy, they are not evil by choice that is their tradgedy"

I think that quote is talking about godzilla or people who are like that in general, Think about it Gojira was born big tall and strong and the only reason he attacked tokyo is because he was provoked, This sort of relates to me too, back in school people knew i was big and tall they knew i could beat the carp out of them, They knew I wanted peace but yet they agged on and on til i whooped them. Then they would go and cry to the teacher and Id get the blame. So in a way it relates to me Don't know if it does to you and if it doesn't please let me know so i can remove it
(Jun. 05, 2012  2:27 AM)Gingka Blader#1 Wrote: Here's one I found on this site:

"You don't stop playing at the park because you get older, you get older because you stop playing at the park"
~ Hov from Barstarzz

Shabalabadoo actually found this, so credit to him.

Anywho, to me it means that you don't get older because you can't do kid things, it's that you choose to not do those things, and in doing so, you get older on the inside and the outside, not just the outside.

oh hey cool, glad you liked it! Yeah you've got the meaning spot on too.

Barstarzz is a calisthenics group, along with many other calisthenics groups. What they basically do is show how you don't need equipment, payments, anything but gravity to get really fit and healthy. And these guys are ripped as hell, let me tell you. YouTube Frank Medrano, probably one of the most influential people for me as far as exercise and nutrition. So, they do really insane stuff, just youtube'ing calisthenics and you'll find examples right away. These guys pretty much use a park only to get in the shape they're in. And they're some of the fittest guys in the world. That quote I saw in a barstarzz YouTube video, and I thought it was kinda cool because it had a literal meaning as well as the meaning you explained.
Thanks Shab!
I would just like to say, I really like this thread. First of, it forces people to put meanings in their posts. Second, it may be able to teach a lesson or two. Great Idea Vortex-S!
I'm surprised no-one else came up with the idea before hand... Grin Anyways, I like it XD
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Here is a quote that I really like:

Kai-V Wrote: In an artist's world, everything is a puppet.

I think the speaker is trying to say that art is basically how you manipulate things to reflect emotions/feelings. This is what makes art so "original".These manipulations can mean different things to different people. It also can mean that your drawings are a whole different "world" that you created.So basically anything you want to happen can happen in that "world".

Another quote I like is from a book,called "Le Petit Prince".It is indeed a french book by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The quote:

C'est tellement mystérieux ,le pays des larmes.

Vague translation: Its really mysterious, the world of tears.

It is a very beautiful phrase.But I can't quite express the meaning in words.

On a side note,if you wanted to post the quote as a "quote" (in the quote box).Here is the simple formatting:

PHP Code:
[quote='INSERT NAME HERE' pid='968036']
QUOTE*
[/
Ah, I really enjoyed reading The Little Prince; deep book with great morals. Smile

Quote:Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I'd guess that it means that in order to accomplish your main goal, you'll have to give up a few valuables to reach it beforehand... Or this. xD
Unknown Wrote:Peace is the glorious time in history where everyone stands around reloading...

Really interesting quote to me, and to be honest, it sounds very true. It seems in today's society, when peace is in effect, nobody is doing anything, just standing around.

Hmmm...
(Jun. 06, 2012  12:40 AM)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Wrote: Ah, I really enjoyed readingThe Little Prince; deep book with great morals. Smile

Quote:Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I'd guess that it means that in order to accomplish your main goal, you'll have to give up a few valuables to reach it beforehand... Or this. xD

Oh, I hope the second part is what it means, because it's hilarious! XD
One that I hear a lot from Tony Horton is "Everything you want is just outside of your comfort zone". Pretty much means exactly what it says. Very much applies to health and fitness.
Quote:DefStamina88 Wrote:
After researching it, every single person has some sort of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

This post just made me feel better when I was feeling down about how obsessive I can be somtimes. Like my obsession over anime characters, and my writings, and my best friend, and... you get the point!
(Jun. 06, 2012  4:45 AM)Fakirs Duck Wrote:
Quote:DefStamina88 Wrote:
After researching it, every single person has some sort of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

This post just made me feel better when I was feeling down about how obsessive I can be somtimes. Like my obsession over anime characters, and my writings, and my best friend, and... you get the point!

Now, maybe read my posts in response to it where I point out that it's a horrendous lie and not even remotely close to the truth.

Fondness for things is not obsession. I doubt you genuinely understand the meaning of the word obsession, most especially in the context of OCD.
Aw, come on. You never had that moment where the volume on the TV was at a weird number and you had to change it?

According to an abundance of philosophies, many people believe that everyone has some sort of mild mental condition, mainly OCD and ADHD. Most people I have asked have said that they feel OCD or ADHD all the time. It's a personal feeling. If you think you have it, you have it, and most people think they have it...

And...I know what Obsession is... I have OCD.

dictionary.com Wrote:Obsession-NOUN-Domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea or desire.

Sure feels like everyone acts like that...

Anyways, back on topic, I really like this quote:

Delta Wrote:You'll either come home with a medal, bodybag, or both.

Dunno its full meaning, but I'm searching it up...
Somewhat of a quote, this...
Its actually an extract from one of the stories I have read, but it is similar to a quote-

"We cling with both arms to false hope, refusing to believe the weightiest proofs against it, embracing it with all our strength. In the end it escapes, ripping our veins and draining our heart's blood; until, regaining consciousness, we rush to fall into snares of delusion all over again."
-Rabindranath Tagore

I realized the true meaning of this 'quote' when Hasbro announced the "no-mode-change" 4D beys, haha!
I still hope that they'd release 4D beys with Mode Changes, and these are just Prototypes!
Well, the quote in my sig is something I thought of myself. Definitely an artsy one.

However, the one in my previous sig, though it was from a Pokemon game, has real meaning and definitely brings an air of hope. It was as follows:
Karen (Pokemon HGSS E4 #4) Wrote:Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokemon they love best.

Yes, I'm obviously a Pokemon fan, but I put that in my sig because it represents something more.

What it could mean is that whether something (including you) is strong or weak is only what other people think to make themselves better or worse. Being your own person, or doing what you love most will show that you are truly yourself, and that's really the major purpose of life. No matter what others think, just do what you love and keep an open mind. You'll go far.

I found this pretty inspirational when I really thought about it.
Awesome idea for a thread, well here's mine:

Quote:"I'm a realistic optimist" - Arsene Wenger (Arsenal Manager)

This is contradicting of itself, however I'm sure it can be applied to a lot of people: It means that he does not blind himself with ignorance (he faces the truth) however he isn't cynical (he'll never rule anything out before it's happened)

Quote:"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain

This means that letting anger build up inside of you, will do more damage to your mental/and possibly physical state, then it will to those who you are releasing your anger on to.

Quote:“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”

Can't remember where I saw/heard this, but I believe it means that the sad truth about life, is not that it is 'short-lived', but that people wait so long to begin enjoying their lives, that when they finally realize this, it is too late.

Another one I hear from Tony Horton a lot is "Do scary things that don't kill you". I like the humorous sense, but it's also very true. This one relates to health and fitness too, especially for me. Come to think of it, everything I started in terms of fitness have scared the carp out of me, but each one of those I absolutely love right now. Newest example being handstands.
Quote:When I'm with you, I know I'll never fall...

I know, it's kinda weird to have posted a quote from a Starbucks cup. I just love the way it's so self-explanatory and romantic.

Quote:A rose is a rose by any other name...

Einstein, right? I love this one, too! To me, it means that beauty is on the outside, not on the inside. A rose smells sweet no matter what it's called, and a person's heart can be sweet too, regardless of their appearance!
(Jun. 07, 2012  8:34 AM)Fakirs Duck Wrote:
Quote:A rose is a rose by any other name...

Einstein, right? I love this one, too! To me, it means that beauty is on the outside, not on the inside. A rose smells sweet no matter what it's called, and a person's heart can be sweet too, regardless of their appearance!

Shakespeare, actually.

Quote:Nothing is so strong as true gentleness, nor so gentle as real strength.

If you're not all bluster and toughness, and you actually take time to connect to people, then you'll be much "stronger" in your connections with people than otherwise; likewise, if you're actually mentally and emotionally strong, as well as physically, then you won't use your strengths to try and get above others; you'll use it for the betterment of others.
(Jun. 06, 2012  12:48 AM)DefStamina88 Wrote:
Unknown Wrote:Peace is the glorious time in history where everyone stands around reloading...

It kinda makes me think of COD...because that split second of peace you get when someone is reloading their gun. I must be the only one who immediately thought of COD when I read that...Pinching_eyes_2
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times,if one only remembers to turn on the light"~Albus "Flippin' Dumbledore. This quote is from Dumbeldore in one of the movies and probably the book too,this quote is great becase you truly can find happiness in the darkest of times,and to me that sorta has a comical twist to it with the "if only one remembers to turn on the light". Anyways,I just find it a great quote. I'm surprised no-one has thought of this before now.
Foress Gump Wrote:Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya'gonna get.

I like this movie so much.
Quote:"There are many types of monsters that scare me: Monsters who cause trouble without showing themselves, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood... and then, monsters who tell nothing but lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance: They are much more cunning than others. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart; they eat even though they've never experienced hunger; they study even though they have no interest in academics; they seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such monsters, I would likely be eaten by them... because in truth, I am that monster." -L Lawliet

Quote:If you can't win the game, if you can't solve the puzzle, then you're just a loser." -Near (Nate River)

They say "we are nothing more, and cannot escape, what we really are." (lol Death Note theme)

(Jun. 07, 2012  10:30 PM)TriSix Wrote:
Foress Gump Wrote:Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya'gonna get.

I like this movie so much.

Care to elaborate? If not,its SPAM.
Quote:"Those who do not appreciate life do not deserve life."

-John Kramer (Jigsaw), SAW II

Not to be a total creep, but this sounds very true. There are those people who do not appreciate life just because of its actions on them. If that's the case, you minus well be dead. You should always appreciate life!