Quotes

(Jun. 07, 2012  5:03 PM)Odin Wrote:
(Jun. 07, 2012  8:34 AM)Fakirs Duck Wrote:
Quote:A rose is a rose by any other name...

Einstein, right? I love this one, too! To me, it means that beauty is on the outside, not on the inside. A rose smells sweet no matter what it's called, and a person's heart can be sweet too, regardless of their appearance!

Shakespeare, actually.

Oh, thanks! The boy at church told me it was Einstein... Guess he was wrong...

Doug Larson Wrote:A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself.
I have liked this for quite a while. I suck at explaining stuff, so I am not sure what to put as the meaning of this quote, hahaha.

(Jun. 08, 2012  2:36 AM)TriSix Wrote:
(Jun. 07, 2012  10:57 PM)Vortex-S Wrote:
(Jun. 07, 2012  10:30 PM)TriSix Wrote: I like this quote so much.

Care to elaborate? If not,its SPAM.

I know we don't like each other AT ALL! But don't go acting like a moderator towards me.

I'm defintely not being a moderator.I am simply re-stating what the OP says.I also bolded it for people like you.

I thought you had me on your ignore list,so why would you even post here?

In anycase,we don't want to start this again, do we?

Not to be a mod either, but try to keep 1-on-1 conversations via PM.
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

- Bertrand Russell

Edit: I like this quote because it uses misdirection and clever wordplay to convey two points:

1. Wars are morally unacceptable

2. The winner writes history

also I didn't get the quote when I first heard it but when I did I lold
(Jun. 05, 2012  12:24 AM)Vortex-S Wrote: . Posts containing only a quote with no elaboration will be considered SPAM.And,posting a quote saying "I like this quote" or "This quote is cool" is also considered SPAM.
Dude, read the OP.
Dude, stop mini-modding. If any of the committee members want to warn me for not writing out a detailed essay of why I like the quote I posted then that's fine. I didn't add in an explanation because I felt it ruins the impact of the quote, much like explaining why a joke is funny would.

It's pretty ironic/annoying that you would say 'Not to be a mod' in your last post, and then start moderating in two instances.

2nd place is only the first last
-I am clueless where that came from
This quote sounds like what a ruthless pageant mother would say.
I dont know wether it counts as quote or not but this is what my sir told us..

Always have an attitude like - " I'm the best, you might be better than me "

This boosts much of your confidence while still not underestimating your enemy
(Jun. 08, 2012  3:56 AM)Zain Wrote: Dude, stop mini-modding. If any of the committee members want to warn me for not writing out a detailed essay of why I like the quote I posted then that's fine. I didn't add in an explanation because I felt it ruins the impact of the quote, much like explaining why a joke is funny would.

It's pretty ironic/annoying that you would say 'Not to be a mod' in your last post, and then start moderating in two instances.

I am indeed going to ask you to elaborate. The reason this topic was accepted this time is only if strict moderation is done. While your quote might be 'deep', others' might not be, and we do not want them to see an exception and believe that they can just post their stupid quotes without elaboration here.

You do not even have to explain what it means : just tell something about when, in certain moments of your life, this quote really held significance, which moments, etc.
I got a Reply from Tim tebow on a letter I sent to him and he wrote remember "hard works beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"
Its true because if talent doesn't work hard, hard work can win and I have been on the underdog side multiple times in sports and experienced this.
On the other hand, one of the greatest coaches of all time totally disregarded effort and talent.

"Winning isn't the most important thing. It's the ONLY thing." -Vince Lombardi

I sort of agree at the professional level. While having fun is nice, in the end you are paid to win. People pay to see you win. Eventually, that had to become the mindset. However, outside of the pros, that isn't necessarily true. The point in college is usually to give yourself a fighting chance at making the pros. On the other hand, one of Lombardi's biggest rivals, Tom Landry, believed that trust and contentment is just as important. In the end, though, he lost twice to Lombardi's Packers. So I guess Lombardi was right in that respect.
(Jun. 08, 2012  3:03 AM)Zain Wrote: "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

- Bertrand Russell

Edit: I like this quote because it uses misdirection and clever wordplay to convey two points:

The winner also gets a "get out of war trials free" card. Most wars end with the major participants on the losing side facing war crime allegations. However, at the time of WWII, Russia was committing some of the crimes that Germany and Italy were convicted for. However, the country was never tried.
Agreed. War crimes are committed by both sides but more often than not, the soldiers who did them go unpunished as long as they're from the winning side. The My Lai massacre comes to mind.
(Jun. 08, 2012  3:03 AM)Zain Wrote: "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

- Bertrand Russell

Also,literally when a war happens...people die. So war determines who is "left" (living).

George Bernard Shaw Wrote:Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

People seek the meaning of life.Rather,they should create their own meaning!

Man,I have so many old english essays and french essays that I did on quotes...I should upload them allXD
"We must imagine Sisyphus happy." - Albert Camus

Well, I mostly like this quote because Camus is my favorite philosopher. The quote really pisses me off and gets me thinking though which is great. As it goes, Sisyphus is the center character of his Greek myth in which he must push a boulder up a hill only to have it roll back down to the base infinitely. Camus equates this to our lives as people, but rather than pitying ourselves or dwelling on the absurdity of our universe, we must do our best to simply enjoy it and find aspects of "rolling the boulder" that make us happy. Easier said than done for a few of us.

"I think the first rule is don't answer questions you don't know the answer to." - Isaac Brock (musician)

Pretty simple - Isaac Brock, frontman of Modest Mouse (rock group; my favorite band) is saying that sometimes we must accept our lack of knowledge, etc.
(Jun. 18, 2012  2:54 AM)Fluke Wrote: "I think the first rule is don't answer questions you don't know the answer to." - Isaac Brock (musician)

Pretty simple - Isaac Brock, frontman of Modest Mouse (rock group; my favorite band) is saying that sometimes we must accept our lack of knowledge, etc.

This quote should govern the 'Ask a Question, get an answer!" thread and the "Questions about the WBO" thread, hah.
One of my favorite quotes:
'It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.' ~ Abraham Lincoln.

This quote for me is similar to the proverb 'Half-Knowledge is dangerous'. My interpretation for that is: One should speak only when necessary and only when you have something useful to say. Otherwise, you may make a fool out of yourself. This quote is something which I always remember during my exams(which have negative marking) so that I dont lose out marks by attempting questions and applying terrible ideas and coming out with wrong answers to get -ve marks.
Well, I thought I might as well bring up an older thread...so anyway, one of my favorite quotes would be "...yes, I'm afraid you have. Completely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...only the best people have." -Alice(from Alice in Wonderland) this was when the mad hatter asked alive if he had gone mad, so that would be wut she's yes to when says "yes, I'm afraid you have". I know it's from a movie, but I like this quote, bcus it's pretty true. A lot of the most brilliant people in history and even now were definitely atleast a lil crazy. Take van goh for example, he was a wonderfully amazing artist yet he cut off one of his ears and later on shot himself in the head(or was that Monet..?). And da Vinci had to've lost a few of his marbles thinking that humans could fly...and yet he was right. It's also my excuse for y I'm a little lost, too, bcus most artist especially, were crazy. Haha
Necro-bumping threads isn't allowed. :\
Well it's better than making a new thread for it.

'Float like a butterfly sting like a bee' Mohammed Ali

This quote makes me fired up, and Ali and bee rhyme so I can't resist saying it.
(Sep. 24, 2012  7:28 AM)Tech Wrote: Necro-bumping threads isn't allowed. :\

It depends. In this case, it was perfectly fine since the necro-post was worth it. She followed instructions and posted something worthwhile.

However, had this been a thread pertaining to a certain event. Lets say a Meteor Shower in 2008, and she bumped it with "OMG, I saw that". She would be scolded for necro-bumping without reason.

If you bump a thread with a useless post, then you will be scolded. Since double-threads are not allowed either, necroing this was the only option and it was done well.

Wink
"I'm full of good points, but I'm even more full of bad ones." -Me. In a nutshell, im not perfect, im far from it.
I made this quote up recently and I hope it helps you all out...

"In my lifetime I have seen the good and the bad, the great and powerful and the weak and small, I have endured pain amongst the flames of hell to the pain of losing something dear to you. I have laughed,I have cried, I have smiled up to the heavens. If I am to walk this road that is known as life I will say it here and now that I have been through the lions pit and I have no regrets on it."

this quote is somewhat about me and my life and how I have endured many things, I hope it helps and I hope no one gets confused by it.
Ok, I love this quote "Holy frakkin shiecseieballzen batman" By SG Roadbuster of TFW2005

I love this because it makes me laugh so many times and reminds me of the old Batman.
the quote i found is my Sig Smile i like it because its true it makes me think twice before i say something to some one because i don't know how that person could feel towards that subject and it can easily take away there confidence more then it can take to boost it Smile