Proposal: Rethinking the Participant Limit

Poll: Should the limit be changed to 7?

Yes, it'd help the WBO.
86.49%
No.
13.51%
Total: 100% 37 vote(s)
(Jun. 30, 2014  5:49 PM)Leone19 Wrote:
(Jun. 30, 2014  2:30 PM)Naijalak Wrote: I'd also suggest that 6 or 7 player tournaments are not approved on the initial outset. I think a tournament should be allowed to run at those numbers, but no tournament should be planned to only have that amount except in regions with notoriously poor/no attendance.

I agree. Hosts should look for 8 or more and get as many faces and credits rewarded as possible, yet if they are one or even 2 players short, they'd be able to have a smaller, but official event.
That is a very reasonable way to deal with it. The committee should require 8, but if 2 people unconfirmed then we should still be able to host the tourney.
Sounds like the easiest thing to do with risk if having to redo the beypoints system (again), would be just to maybe give out faces, and that is it. Credits for such a small event could add up quickly especially if they're done frequently unlike larger events, so faces seem like the least that could be done. I don't want to risk anything haha. Nothing is actually stopping you from hosting an event with a small turnout so if you continue without the required 8, I'd say faces would be okay.
(Jun. 30, 2014  6:23 PM)Tr! Wrote: Sounds like the easiest thing to do with risk if having to redo the beypoints system (again), would be just to maybe give out faces, and that is it. Credits for such a small event could add up quickly especially if they're done frequently unlike larger events, so faces seem like the least that could be done. I don't want to risk anything haha. Nothing is actually stopping you from hosting an event with a small turnout so if you continue without the required 8, I'd say faces would be okay.
I don't understand why we would have to change the BeyPoint System for the credits.
I didn't say that. I'm just saying credits shouldn't be given out either ... except possibly to host for continuing the tournament with a small turnout.

The beypoint system would need to be formulated differently, I said nothing of credits changing it.
(Jun. 30, 2014  6:23 PM)Tr! Wrote: Sounds like the easiest thing to do with risk if having to redo the beypoints system (again), would be just to maybe give out faces, and that is it. Credits for such a small event could add up quickly especially if they're done frequently unlike larger events, so faces seem like the least that could be done. I don't want to risk anything haha. Nothing is actually stopping you from hosting an event with a small turnout so if you continue without the required 8, I'd say faces would be okay.
Instead of eliminating credits, I think we should just reduce them. Perhaps 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd, and 1 for hosting?
(Jun. 30, 2014  6:30 PM)Du@l Wrote:
Instead of eliminating credits, I think we should just reduce them. Perhaps 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd, and 1 for hosting?
Yes, because people like to get prizes for coming and if you don't have any, then hosts usually say the Blader Rewards. If you don't earn credits then even less people will show up.
I think players getting BeyPoints is the most important aspect. There's plenty I people who show up at my tournaments that don't even use the site, and will never use the credits they earn. They ALWAYS want me to look up how many BeyPoints they have when they return to another tournament.
(Jun. 30, 2014  6:53 PM)Naijalak Wrote: I think players getting BeyPoints is the most important aspect. There's plenty I people who show up at my tournaments that don't even use the site, and will never use the credits they earn. They ALWAYS want me to look up how many BeyPoints they have when they return to another tournament.
Still I think serious Bladers won't come. For example someone like geetster99 wouldn't show up to a Sterling tourney without credits being earned, because he cares about them. Most of my participants are MD Bladers. Without credits they wouldn't be willing to make the drive.
Then it comes down to catering to the hard-core minority, or the majority target audience of Beyblade and tournament participants.
Plus, yes someone like geetster99 could be interested in Credits, but being so close to the first place in the World Beyblade Organization ranks, I think anything that could give him more Beypoints will do the job anyway.
Well I know for sure that I wouldn't drive to MD if no credits are being earned.
Well that's a good incentive to try and get at least 8 players Smile
(Jun. 30, 2014  7:49 PM)Naijalak Wrote: Well that's a good incentive to try and get at least 8 players Smile
Yes we should try to get 8, but in case not all 8 turn up then still do the tourney with 6/7.
Why not having some kind of mandatory unconfirmed list? Because it tells if they had at least tried to get the eight confirmed, but some people may have had other things to do.
Of course. I'm all for that, with the restrictions I outlined.
(Jun. 30, 2014  8:12 PM)Echizen Wrote: Why not having some kind of mandatory unconfirmed list? Because it tells if they had at least tried to get the eight confirmed, but some people may have had other things to do.
That's a good idea. Even if confirmed don't show then you can count on the unconfirmed. With 7 confirmed and like 4 maybes tourneys should be confirmed by the committee.
That is not really what was suggested initially. It was eight confirmed (which is what I always look for - unconfirmed means nothing), and then, if on the day of the tournament, one or two people from the eight do not end up coming, the tournament would still work.
Exactly- it's still encouraged and promoted for 8 or more, just to lower the amount itself to 7 or even 6, so the event can still take place.
(Jun. 30, 2014  7:08 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Plus, yes someone like geetster99 could be interested in Credits, but being so close to the first place in the World Beyblade Organization ranks, I think anything that could give him more Beypoints will do the job anyway.

Unless the seven players are mostly 1,400-1,500+ BeyPoint Bladers, probably not. The point multiplier would be way too low to make it worth it for highly ranked Bladers to play. They would have to sweep the tournament to come out ahead. Case in point: the most recent Toronto tournament, LMAO's Birthday Beynanza: I went 6-1 and ended up only +1 BeyPoint ahead of where I was before in the end because most of the eight players were lower than 1,400 BeyPoints.
(Jun. 30, 2014  9:22 PM)Kai-V Wrote: That is not really what was suggested initially. It was eight confirmed (which is what I always look for - unconfirmed means nothing), and then, if on the day of the tournament, one or two people from the eight do not end up coming, the tournament would still work.
Well I think both ideas are great, but if the only way to work is doing a test processing.
Yeah, we will never know until we try.

I say try processing a 7 and a 6 event, maybe- just to see how it'd go.
I'm likely reiterating what has been said but I'd love to see it be a 4/5/6 blader minimum for an EVENT to be allowed to be listed on the site, but no credits/Beypoints would be awarded if the event has fewer than 8 participants and includes a mini-tournament. For really inactive regions like my own, it's hard to even begin to grow when we cannot advertise our events via them being listed on the site since we don't have enough bladers (which is very much a catch-22). An event being in the sidebar is incredible visibility that new regions could utilize, even if their event was a gray color or something if it doesn't yet have 8 people (EDIT: or see the following paragraph). It would also be great for new regions to point to their official event history if parents are concerned or something, which right now is a barrier to attracting bladers in an inactive area.

Heck, one idea would be to have two sidebars, one for "events" (Beyblade gatherings with a 4/5/6 blader minimum where no Beypoints or Credits are awarded if they include mini-tournaments) and one for legit "tournaments" (min 8 people, like normal). Even if "events" would likely end up being the same 4-6 people many times, the fact that they would be advertised on the home page would let new bladers know there is Beyblade activity going on in their area that they can go to, and hopefully that will result in an area getting enough new people to start having their own tournaments!
If nothing was awarded, would that not make it an unofficial tournament, thus not allowed to be advertised on the WBO?

Either way, many bladers on this site have said that they would not want to participate in a tournament if absolutely nothing was awarded. That's why many people have been suggesting lowering the size of tournaments by 1 or 2 (well, not exactly, more along the lines of allowing these people to participate in a tournament if 1-2 people don't show up), and lowering the maximum amount of credits that could be received.
Yeah, basically what Du@l said.

If no BeyPoints, Faces, or Credits were given out whatsoever, it'd just be an unofficial event, which wouldn't solve anything, really.

We're basically suggesting to take it from 8 to ideally 7 or even 6, while players would still gain BeyPoints, a lower amount of credits, and possibly only the Gold or Silver face for placing.
(Jul. 01, 2014  7:50 PM)Du@l Wrote: If nothing was awarded, would that not make it an unofficial tournament,

No.

If you read my second paragraph at all, I stated very clearly it would be a Beyblade gathering (separate from tournaments), where bladers can actually meet up IRL and hang out/practice together/hold mini unofficial tournaments if they want.

(Jul. 01, 2014  7:50 PM)Du@l Wrote: thus not allowed to be advertised on the WBO?

Literally the entire point of my post was that this is what I said needed to be changed

(Jul. 01, 2014  7:50 PM)Du@l Wrote: Either way, many bladers on this site have said that they would not want to participate in a tournament if absolutely nothing was awarded.

While "many" bladers might have said that (from what I'm gathering it's been very few), I'd wager that 100% of bladers would not want to participate in an event in a given region if that event doesn't even exist. If you look at the home page, it looks like there are very, very few regions that even have interest in Beyblade, and what I'm trying to argue is that this change would fix that.

This is an alternative solution to the problem presented in the OP, one that I think would help more in the long run speaking from my own experience both in an inactive region and in my experiences going to smashfests/MTG gatherings/other non-tournament events that greatly foster a feeling of community beyond tournament play.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:14 PM)Leone19 Wrote: If no BeyPoints, Faces, or Credits were given out whatsoever, it'd just be an unofficial event, which wouldn't solve anything, really.

I disagree, and I'm trying to say that the event should not be considered "unofficial" even if no credits were awarded. It would help regions to grow if parents could see that a Beyblade gathering that their kid would want to go to was considered official by the WBO, and that would go a long way toward getting new players to come out to events and grow a region.