Pokémon TCG Discussion

Slowly trying to get back into the card game, although Im not really looking to play competitively. Im comfortable with my water/fairy deck and wont be getting booster packs for Sword/Shield anytime soon

Just a few random thoughts:

Firstly, Im pretty miffed that the card game removed fairy types. I get that fairy types were pretty sucky and theres not a whole lot they could do, but I enjoyed how they had an advantage against dragons. Not only that, steel type had a really good use because of them and now thats not something to enjoy anymore. I also heard news about poison type merging into dark type (as in how the TCG would merge ice type into water type), which is hard to get used to

Sorry to sound like a hater here — what the heck is going on nowadays?? I miss the simple days where we had EXes and all that. With Sun/Moon, GXes were tolerable but every “OP” card type after that went downhill. Its really not the same with V-Maxes (?), not when everyone thought EXes would be timeless

I also dont remember whether I said this already or not: Am I the only one who thought Black/White and X/Y’s card designs were super cool and pleasing? The card designs before those series were nostalgic, but Im especially digging how organized and “soft” the card layout seems. Of course, Sun/Moon’s arrival means the card design had to change. Even then, the current design kinda feels too modern for me. Same vibes as logos modernizing to fit in with the time
(Jul. 20, 2021  1:38 AM)BurningSands Wrote: Slowly trying to get back into the card game, although Im not really looking to play competitively. Im comfortable with my water/fairy deck and wont be getting booster packs for Sword/Shield anytime soon

Firstly, Im pretty miffed that the card game removed fairy types. I get that fairy types were pretty sucky and theres not a whole lot they could do, but I enjoyed how they had an advantage against dragons. Not only that, steel type had a really good use because of them and now thats not something to enjoy anymore. I also heard news about poison type merging into dark type (as in how the TCG would merge ice type into water type), which is hard to get used to

Sorry to sound like a hater here — what the heck is going on nowadays?? I miss the simple days where we had EXes and all that. With Sun/Moon, GXes were tolerable but every “OP” card type after that went downhill. Its really not the same with V-Maxes (?), not when everyone thought EXes would be timeless

I also dont remember whether I said this already or not: Am I the only one who thought Black/White and X/Y’s card designs were super cool and pleasing? The card designs before those series were nostalgic, but Im especially digging how organized and “soft” the card layout seems. Of course, Sun/Moon’s arrival means the card design had to change. Even then, the current design kinda feels too modern for me. Same vibes as logos modernizing to fit in with the time

I'm glad that you're getting back into it. As for me, I feel like the passion is slowing down, but I still really enjoy the TCG. I think they removed fairy types simply because they removed dragon types. Dragon needed to be removed. There was NO use for most of the cards due to having random energy requirements. This nerfs fairy types because now they can't beat anything specific. This actually made me search up a sword and shield dragon type because I didn't know they were removed. I found something quite scary. With the new Rayquaza, they made it a dragon type and just gave it no weakness. If we have unchecked dragon types, then that could be a problem. As for all the GX and V mumbo jumbo, I agree. We need EXs back. Finally, for the card design, I think this is really more of a preference thing. Personally, I'm with you, but do think that the new cards look cool too.
(Jul. 20, 2021  1:48 AM)USN Wrote:
(Jul. 20, 2021  1:38 AM)BurningSands Wrote: Slowly trying to get back into the card game, although Im not really looking to play competitively. Im comfortable with my water/fairy deck and wont be getting booster packs for Sword/Shield anytime soon

I'm glad that you're getting back into it. As for me, I feel like the passion is slowing down, but I still really enjoy the TCG. I think they removed fairy types simply because they removed dragon types. Dragon needed to be removed. There was NO use for most of the cards due to having random energy requirements. This nerfs fairy types because now they can't beat anything specific. This actually made me search up a sword and shield dragon type because I didn't know they were removed. I found something quite scary. With the new Rayquaza, they made it a dragon type and just gave it no weakness. If we have unchecked dragon types, then that could be a problem. As for all the GX and V mumbo jumbo, I agree. We need EXs back. Finally, for the card design, I think this is really more of a preference thing. Personally, I'm with you, but do think that the new cards look cool too.

Wait a moment, they removed dragon types too? Dang, I definitely did not notice that, my bad — I agree, one thing that turned me off from having dragon types is the really wack energy requirement. While the energy requirement isnt as random (ex. The Goodra evolution line is just water/fairy throughout the whole thing), its definitely a hassle. I used to think the random energy needs kinda made up for how overpowered they are, but was still miffed I couldnt use certain dragon cards. It was indeed annoying

I admit, the whole thing is just going downhill in general. I dont blame more people collecting, playing incorrectly, etc. instead of actually playing the game. The HP just keeps going up and really huge changes knock out veterans’ interest. Rotations and changes are simply too fast compared to Yu-gi-oh!, which really can discourage play
(Jul. 20, 2021  3:32 AM)BurningSands Wrote:
(Jul. 20, 2021  1:48 AM)USN Wrote: I'm glad that you're getting back into it. As for me, I feel like the passion is slowing down, but I still really enjoy the TCG. I think they removed fairy types simply because they removed dragon types. Dragon needed to be removed. There was NO use for most of the cards due to having random energy requirements. This nerfs fairy types because now they can't beat anything specific. This actually made me search up a sword and shield dragon type because I didn't know they were removed. I found something quite scary. With the new Rayquaza, they made it a dragon type and just gave it no weakness. If we have unchecked dragon types, then that could be a problem. As for all the GX and V mumbo jumbo, I agree. We need EXs back. Finally, for the card design, I think this is really more of a preference thing. Personally, I'm with you, but do think that the new cards look cool too.

Wait a moment, they removed dragon types too? Dang, I definitely did not notice that, my bad — I agree, one thing that turned me off from having dragon types is the really wack energy requirement. While the energy requirement isnt as random (ex. The Goodra evolution line is just water/fairy throughout the whole thing), its definitely a hassle. I used to think the random energy needs kinda made up for how overpowered they are, but was still miffed I couldnt use certain dragon cards. It was indeed annoying

I admit, the whole thing is just going downhill in general. I dont blame more people collecting, playing incorrectly, etc. instead of actually playing the game. The HP just keeps going up and really huge changes knock out veterans’ interest. Rotations and changes are simply too fast compared to Yu-gi-oh!, which really can discourage play

I don't think that "the whole thing is just going downhill in general" is the best way to describe it. From what I can tell, you started playing awhile ago, and all the changes are seaming overwhelming and unnecessary, but you also need to think about how these things were introduced. I think the changes have actually had a pretty good pace, but the changes themselves have been mediocre at best. Pokémon just keeps adding shinier Pokémon cards! That's exciting if your a collecting, but for anyone else, it is just plain annoying. Personally, I would like to see some gameplay mechanics changed. (NOT RELATED TO SHINY CARDS!) The last real game mechanic change was when stadiums were added. As someone who has been playing the game for awhile now, it gets pretty boring. There is nothing to look forward to. When a new series comes out, I simply do not care. The game has been out long enough so that I simply don't see what new, necessary cards they can make.

BTW for this entire post "Real game mechanics" excluded EXs, Megas, GXs, Vs, and Vmaxs.
I got my evolving skies booster box and pulled an alt art slyveon v! Boy am I a happy camper. I also pulled Lycanrock V, Full art Jolteon V, Garbador V/vmax, full art copy cat, gold boost shake, and flareon vmax
I don't play that much anymore since my friend lost interest and I basically had no one else to battle but I might buy some booster backs later on.