Persona 4: The Animation

(Nov. 07, 2011  9:36 PM)Dude Wrote: A nice lilttle touch was that the protag's ringtone was the Love is Over music from Catherine. I cracked up when I heard it XD

So that explains his deadfaced expression and all the Catherine x Persona 4 fanart I've been noticing with the phone. When I saw his face "whiten", it totally reminded me of something. I haven't played Catherine yet, mostly because I suck at puzzles, but I learned enough about it.

Edit:
Also, Yosuke and Yuu. Partners for life. All I can say about episode 7.
"Do you want a copy?"
Kaji Motomiya

Yosuke:
"Hell No!" xD
Yeah, episode 7 was a blast. One thing that was weird, though, is that Teddie doesn't use the information we get from Naoto that he/she believes Kanji is dealing with a complex to track him to the bathhouse, but rather some little doll thing Kanji made, which Yuu picked up and handed back to Kanji in the previous episode. We do get the Naoto scene, though.

While I don't think it was as intense as the Yukiko episode, this was also pretty damn good. When his Shadow goes wild, Kanji just slowly walks toward it, gripping the doll-thing in his hand, in a way embracing that part of him that loves cute things, and then punching the carp out of his shadow, basically defeating it himself. Pretty sweet.

I like how they depicted the Protag, here. In the Persona 4 manga, he kinda doesn't have a personality, really. True, the protag basically almost never talks, in the game, expect in what seems to be narration boxes in the third person, but that's not any reason to make him erased and uninteresting. Here, he's got a personality of his own: He's a kind, compassionate guy that, though a bit silent, wants to help his friends and has a great sense of humor.

This is turning out pretty cool Joyful_3
Yeah! Episode 8, please come before Christmas!

Haha, the scene where the two men touch Yu's and Yosuke's butts and then them going all, "I'm dead" was the epitome of new things. xD
(Nov. 19, 2011  2:03 PM)Dude Wrote: Yeah, episode 7 was a blast. One thing that was weird, though, is that Teddie doesn't use the information we get from Naoto that he/she believes Kanji is dealing with a complex to track him to the bathhouse, but rather some little doll thing Kanji made, which Yuu picked up and handed back to Kanji in the previous episode. We do get the Naoto scene, though.

Manga does the same thing, actually. Instead of using Naoto's info, they use the most random thing they could; a handkerchief of Kanji's that Yukiko borrowed. I think it's because the anime directors and manga writer found it weird that Naoto's info is "sniffable" compared to actually having an item with Kanji's "scent". It's more realistic (as this anime gets, anyway) than sniffing out information...literally.
Yeah, I guess so. It's very minor, anyway, so I don't mind.

By the way, next episode seems to be filler again, as it takes place during the whole camp thing where you go pick-up garbages in the mountains. One of the events I would have not bothered to put in the anime, personally, but whatever.
Ep. 8 was Hilarious...

And I felt that Yu and Yukiko were doing the "thing" King Moron was talking about.

Aaaand Ep. 9 is out! It's with Rise! (The opening song ws changed by her.)

xD
Episode 9 was pretty cool, too. Rise has a really cute Japanese voice and this episode really sets up the whole 'I wanna quit show-biz' for her, much more than in the game. Like it was done for Kanji, the protag also meets Rise before the entire kidnapping thing, very kindly returning her cellphone to her, though she mistakes him for a creepy stalker.

Not much to say, really. Seems that next episode already goes into the Strip Club (That's what it is, really...) and the episode after that will probably be Shadow Teddy Joyful_3
I like how they did part of the Social Link, but instead of doing a good end, it went with a "bad end"/flip effect to lead to the dungeon.
Episode 10
MIND BLOWN!

It was pretty epic, but it was way too short. I wanted evil teddeh to actually try to kill them all with ultra charge and Nihil Hand but, *sigh*

But it was awesome. Especially that cannon Rise's shadow uses xD
So, just watched episode 11 which introduces Mitsuo as well as Teddy's new human body and some bits of Naoto being cryptic.

Holy carp, they make Mitsuo look ridiculously creepy, in here Chocked_2 In the game, he's meant to be more of a Chekov's Gun moment as well as establishing that Yukiko doesn't really date guys, but here, we see him plenty. We see him when he's at home, psychologically tormented by people online, we see him come back to school to ask Yukiko out one last time (Don't remember if this happened, in the game...) we even get a scene where he meets Nanako at the store and acts like a total jerk to her. While this is an excellent way to develop his character, it pretty much takes away the whole surprise of seeing Mitsuo again and in the TV this time, but I guess most people watching the show have probably played the game several times, anyway, and therefore know about all of this. Mitsuo looks like a kind of... really sick pervert gamer-ish otaku-ish guy, it's really weird and fits the character perfectly.

Next episode seems to already take place in the Video Game world he created in the other world and will mark the half-way point in the show, 12/24. Still looking great. If they don't do something completely stupid in these 12 episodes, this is gonna be a total success!
So, episode 12 was... kinda weird.

Okay, so they quickly meet up with Shadow Mitsuo and he begins turning into the more chaotic form that the Shadows take. But then we cut to Teddy saying that he really wants to go to Yukiko's inn to see the baths and the girls in yukata and so on. At first, I thought something was wrong with the version I got, since it seemed like... well, a cut made by someone that's not really good with editing. Basically, everyone is kinda losing interest in the Protag and the case: Rise moved out of town, the girls started not showing up to meetings, Kanji doesn't show up either and Yosuke is working at Junes a lot. He even brings up a very valid point, that is that the protag should start thinking of what school he'll want to go to when he goes back to his town. Let's remember that Narukami isn't from this town and that his parents live elsewhere. Making such great and close friends in this remote town could be very heart-breaking, when the time will come to leave. Then, at night, the Protag tries to go into the TV and it doesn't work and Shadow Mitsuo appears and we learn that it was just kind of a dream-illusion made by Shadow Mitsuo (The giant-headed baby) To be perfectly honest, I didn't really like that. It just seemed distracting and made the protag look psychologically weak, like he depends on his friends. It's kinda boring, comes out of nowhere and it's pretty depressing. I guess they were trying to give Shadow Mitsuo his own flavor, y'know by not having him be just 'Another shadow, kill it, move one' but it doesn't work for me. Anyway, when he comes back from the dream is when things pick up: We get an awesome scene where he summons a ton of different Personas and basically takes down Shadow Mitsuo himself, though the others do help. The music is awesome and we get to see a lot of other Personas that will probably never come back again. Decent episode, kind of a mixed bag, really.

Next episode seems to be more filler for Social Links, since I think I saw the old lady that claims to be death when you first meet her.
Episode 26, the DVD/BD-exclusive True Ending, is out. The series really know how to shape the Protagonist well. It's so powerful to see the not-so-silent Protagonist with a full range of emotions that just...it's heavy.

I think this episode was much more heavier than the Mitsuo Kubo episode.