Passing on the passion?

Hiya, I hope this an ok post!

I kinda wanted to discuss the topic of passing on the hobby to younger generations? I've been blading for a very long time and my nieces have always been interested. Be it because of my interest or because they are simply interested on their own, they are now pushing for me to pass on what I know (not that I'm not hyped because I seriously am!) and I feel that both are old enough.

I have been carefully sharing both new and old beyblade's as as well as techniques I have learned.

Long post short; do you guys pass on the passion for beyblade and if so what?
Hmm.. I think this would be for Beyblade Random Thoughts, but we'll see. Smile

I tried to pass it on to my neighbour, who loved Beyblade! Well, after a while, he didn't like that I used good beys and told me to stop using some, but even then I beat him (one time it was his Ldrago Destroy vs my Ifraid.. I won..). But I do hope to pass it to somebody else.. :')
(Sep. 09, 2015  10:51 PM)Hato Wrote: Hmm.. I think this would be for Beyblade Random Thoughts, but we'll see. Smile

No, this is fine. If you think a post doesn't belong, just report it instead of telling the poster it doesn't belong, since it could send the wrong message. Smile
Thank goodness it's ok!

But yeah, my nieces tried for years to get me to show them but I was worried they'd break something...they finally are ready and want to know everything. I'm surprised they are as gracious with losing as they are, they are naturals too...I have to watch out or soon they will be kicking my butt! *laughs*

The younger girl needs more power behind her launch, any tips? Oh and I could use advice on beyblade's to get them? The eldest enjoys old Dranzer and both Wolf and the Pegasus. The youngest like draciel anything and the Dranzer that had the engine gear of whatever?
Power on your launches is all about follow through. You want to make sure you end your launch with your hand behind your back for maximum power. That is all that needs to be said when using a ripcord really. If you are using a string launcher then let go of the string when it is at full extension and continue to follow through until your hand is behind your back.
The best way to get the old plastic beys especially is on a site that gets them directly from japan. Such as zenmarket.jp
Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for any more tips or anything at all
My cousin, step siblings, and my nieces are all too young to really grasp the game. I've tried and tried with my cousin and he really has come a long way only being 7 years old! Its hard to mentor young players but I enjoy doing it Smile. I actually have always wanted to be an instructor of sorts so this is kind of like cadet teaching for me.
I brought my beyblades on my family's anual reunion/beach trip. My 5year-old cousin immediately became interested, so I showed him the basics. Basically every time that I saw him for the next week, he asked me to battle with him. I was really impressed with how strong his launch was after a week of practice. His little brother is 2 and desperately wanted to participate, he actually figured out how to hold the launcher, load the bey, and launch (with plenty of coaching) but his 2yo arms were just too weak. I just gave him meteo l drago and let him confuse the carp out of my 5yo cousin when he won. I ended up giving them 5 of my beys and their dad ordered a super control stadium for them. If I ever have kids they WILL love beyblade lol
(Sep. 09, 2015  11:50 PM)Zoroaste Wrote: Power on your launches is all about follow through. You want to make sure you end your launch with your hand behind your back for maximum power. That is all that needs to be said when using a ripcord really. If you are using a string launcher then let go of the string when it is at full extension and continue to follow through until your hand is behind your back.

There is way more nuance to this, and I think oversimplifications like this is one of the major problems with growing the Beyblade community.

To novices, Beyblade either seems to be entirely a game of luck or an impenetrable system with terms and concepts that seem to be rarely explained upon their initial introduction. (I find reading conversations about MFB nigh-impossible and while @[Wombat]'s excellent glossary has helped, it shouldn't be this difficult.)

The fact is that there is a ton of skill involved in launching a Beyblade well, but most of it is relegated to muscle memory once you master it. But there is certainly more to launching well — or even competently — than just ending with your hand behind your back. Smile

The WBO was created as my way of passing on that passion, and glad to see it's still doing just that. But my hope is that we can create more content that really helps new playes both jump into not just the core game of Beyblade, but its surrounding concepts and metagame strategies, which actually form the bulk of the "game."
Could I suggest two guides? If one is made for this. One for kids and one for adults. It seems like it would make it easier to write if you didn't have to simplify everything down for kids to grasp. But still include all basic techniques, maybe just not as in-depth.
Everything helps! The youngest just has trouble with some terms but the oldest is grasping everything well enough. uwu I sadly do not have enough of the metal fight ones to satisfy them though, and they want to keep everything!

The neighbors kids are now interested, I feel like a teacher for this, ha!

I wish this site was around while I was their age, the old BBA site wasn't as helpful...
Yeah, my little cousin wanted ALL of my beys and was hardly satisfied with the five that I gave him lol. He also would always steal my bey when I won. Then I would just launch at max and rek him with the one that just lost. But I would recommend meteo or some other left spin beys for the younger one, to even the score.
(Sep. 10, 2015  1:35 AM)ZachBob Wrote: Yeah, my little cousin wanted ALL of my beys and was hardly satisfied with the five that I gave him lol. He also would always steal my bey when I won. Then I would just launch at max and rek him with the one that just lost. But I would recommend meteo or some other left spin beys for the younger one, to even the score.

Oh, I never thought of left spin to be honest...thank you!

I plan on buying them each an old school plastic one and surprise them since I refuse to give up my own.
Probably best to find a cheap lot (sent a PM on launching, hope you saw it Smile ), can get them started at a good price with a decent amount of beys. Also, you can get some random booster complete sets for good prices.
Since your interest appears to be with Plastics, a word of caution: SonoKong Beyblades are not compatible with Takara and Hasbro Beyblades up to the Engine Gear series, because they're molded smaller. At that time, the brand name was styled as SOK on the box.

As SonoKong Beyblades are usually cheaper than their Takara and Hasbro counterparts, I think it's important to keep it in mind.

Edit: You can see the difference here and here.
(Sep. 10, 2015  2:08 AM)Nocto Wrote: Since your interest appears to be with Plastics, a word of caution: SonoKong Beyblades are not compatible with Takara and Hasbro Beyblades up to the Engine Gear series, because they're molded smaller. At that time, the brand name was styled as SOK on the box.

As SonoKong Beyblades are usually cheaper than their Takara and Hasbro counterparts, I think it's important to keep it in mind.

Oh? I recent grabbed some sonokong blades, the gold ones actually and I have to admit that despite being pretty, they aren't as well made as most of my others. Uncertain I'll keep this in mind!
(Sep. 10, 2015  4:23 AM)Octoling Wrote:
(Sep. 10, 2015  2:08 AM)Nocto Wrote: Since your interest appears to be with Plastics, a word of caution: SonoKong Beyblades are not compatible with Takara and Hasbro Beyblades up to the Engine Gear series, because they're molded smaller. At that time, the brand name was styled as SOK on the box.

Oh? I recent grabbed some sonokong blades, the gold ones actually and I have to admit that despite being pretty, they aren't as well made as most of my others. Uncertain I'll keep this in mind!

Yeah, not compatible with anything but themselves.

But on topic, I haven't seen anyone as passionate as I am (was), but I would definitely pass the torch to my child. Ey.
(Sep. 10, 2015  4:29 AM)Neo Wrote:
(Sep. 10, 2015  4:23 AM)Octoling Wrote:

Yeah, not compatible with anything but themselves.

But on topic, I haven't seen anyone as passionate as I am (was), but I would definitely pass the torch to my child. Ey.

If I were to ever have my own kids, I would like to do the same. My sister and I never liked the same things, so even now she isn't all that excited...

I can easily get them to do their home work this way! As another note: any ideas were to get decent dishes? I would love an old school one with the walls and pockets, it would give the kids an easier time practicing with flying out.
I can agree that working your way through it all is good but I think there really should be a more kid friendly guide out there? As the information isn't always on their level, they can get disheartened and back away rather than pushing forward like most of us. Add all the new mechanics to the already large pile of things and they cannt get a foothold. Or am I straying from what we were thinking about?

Personally, I am so happy that many of us are willing to pass this on but I don't always know how to describe things I've learned on my way to where I am now...I feel like I'm failing without a proper guide.
(Sep. 10, 2015  1:19 AM)ZachBob Wrote: Could I suggest two guides? If one is made for this. One for kids and one for adults. It seems like it would make it easier to write if you didn't have to simplify everything down for kids to grasp. But still include all basic techniques, maybe just not as in-depth.

I actually don't think it's about kids vs. beginners. I think it's that there's no clear flow from beginner to advanced. You just have to brute force your way through a ton of knowledge, which, to be fair, has its merits. But good beginner's content and good intermediate and advanced content should be clear to anyone of any age.

But, to be fair, producing that content is really hard and it's not like anyone should feel like they're obligated to do it.

Anyway, this is getting far removed from the OP so I'll just end it with: I hope I'll have some stuff you can show your nieces soon :')

edit: sorry for reposting, accidentally deleted original
(Sep. 10, 2015  4:54 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I actually don't think it's about kids vs. beginners. I think it's that there's no clear flow from beginner to advanced. You just have to brute force your way through a ton of knowledge, which, to be fair, has its merits.
Sorry, I meant young beginners vs adult beginners. I definitely agree with you tho, it's extremely hard for someone new to figure out what to expect at a tournament. Or to figure out how to prepare for one. I just jumped in a few months ago, new to beyblade, new to competitive gaming, and new to messageboards so I put in many many hours reading and reading and reading........ before I felt prepared enough to go to a competition. I didn't find the competitive combos threads for probably two months hahaha. But all that effort did make winning all the more rewarding.

Also I apologize for getting super off topic. And I will see if any of the guys here in NC would like to help me with a tournament strategy guide of sorts.
I have a feeling that beyblade will have died out by the time I have children. But I'll see. I think the best way would be to mess around with beys around your kids. From the point of view of a young teen if I saw my dad playing with a toy i would at least go see what it was. If you've got small children I would think that you could just give them some and they would go wild. Then interest would die out when they reach middle school maybe.
I pass on my knowledge of beyblade the same way Tyson does...

By beating them and showing them that they need a better combo, ain't no gentle touches here! Gotta show off that passion to win and win, it'll rub off on them, and they'll win and win!