Ouya: A New Kind of Video Game Console

(Aug. 03, 2012  12:46 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: My take on this is that this isn't just some random 3rd party nonsense that wants to make a bootlegged Wii console; these guys seem to know exactly what they want and what they will do. Plus, they already have added games such as Minecraft and a whole slew of other titles. Plus, I don't think they are going into this with empty wallets. If they would make such little pay off as you say, this would not have even been made in the 1st place. I am sure the creators of this console have worked out a ton of deals and contracts to ensure that they still have money.

As for the big 3, I don't ever foresee that number jumping up to 4. Not ever; the franchise has just become way to monopolized. What I do see, however, are many gamers who will own one or more of these big 3 consoles, in addition to Ouya. And if this company plays their marketing skills right, I can easily foresee this console in the homes of newer and causal gamers. Honestly, with the right people to represent it and market it, this could potentially become a significant part of the gaming industry
Your kind of right

Minecraft also isn't a big scoop given it's been available for Android for about a year now...
I am sure the makers of Ouya didnt have the automatic right to add Minecraft to this console. Not like getting the Mojang stamp of approval is hard, (which makes PS3 not having oh so sweet, no offense ps3 gamers) especialy when Android does have the game already, as you said, but this version of minecraft, like any, will likely be unique to the gaming system that it is on.

The only other thing I am concerned about is how Android software will adapt to gaming. Will this suck after 1 year of use like my android phone? Haha hopefuly not

On a more serious note, my real major concern is that this will fly under the radar eventualy. This has been making some big news in the gaming world, but there hasnt been enough impact yet. Many casual, family and non gamers dont know of this yet, and more pure hardcore gamers have not been given much incentive. Without the proper marketing and consumer targeting, it wont matter how terribad or super good it is, it wont sell enough.
So it has FFIII and Minecraft? Eh, not too bad to start off with a couple of big name titles, but it sucks for me because I own both lol. Got FFIII last week for DS, so that kinda sucks.
What they need are exclusives, I think. What separates this from other consoles, game wise? (Ignoring the whole on phone/spec stuff)
Needless to say, I'm somewhat impressed with the two big name games on it. Wonder what else will be on it?
(Aug. 03, 2012  4:44 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: I am sure the makers of Ouya didnt have the automatic right to add Minecraft to this console. Not like getting the Mojang stamp of approval is hard, (which makes PS3 not having oh so sweet, no offense ps3 gamers) especialy when Android does have the game already, as you said, but this version of minecraft, like any, will likely be unique to the gaming system that it is on.

Minecraft isn't on PS3 because Microsoft paid for timed exclusivity. That exclusivity agreement likely covers all consoles. Given Minecraft: Pocket Edition is already on Android, and is compatible with button commands (it originally launched as an Xperia Play timed exclusive) guess which version Ouya will be likely be getting.

(Aug. 03, 2012  4:56 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: So it has FFIII and Minecraft? Eh, not too bad to start off with a couple of big name titles, but it sucks for me because I own both lol. Got FFIII last week for DS, so that kinda sucks.
What they need are exclusives, I think. What separates this from other consoles, game wise? (Ignoring the whole on phone/spec stuff)
Needless to say, I'm somewhat impressed with the two big name games on it. Wonder what else will be on it?

Serious question. Why would someone make an exclusive Ouya game? If you're making an Android title why restrict it to a platform with a userbase of 0 from an unproven company instead of releasing it on the Google Play Store for everyone?
The Ouya needs to wait a while before they make any exclusive games. When they establish an audience, they will need one more than anything (but not a half a$$ one) but now is not the time
But that's the problem - with it being focussed on the Android Market, it's all about the games for Ouya; so establishing a fan base without exclusive games sounds like suicide. However, if the current Kickstarter funds (I think it's at 6.6 million or something. Watch me be way off) are any indication, there are people interested.

Only time will tell the outcome of this console!
I feel like the only thing this thing will be good for is emulation, being that it's open for hackers and all. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to run NES, SNES, Gand maybe even N64 games on here. After all, iPhone's and Android phones have emulators exactly for that. I'm sure somebody will develop an emulator for Ouya within the first few months of release.

When it comes to the actual library of the Ouya, I feel like it's going to completely suck.