Nov-07-2021: "FGC IV: Heavens Arena" reports

Question: if during the open rounds the scores of each match were added in challonge instead of the winner getting one point, wouldn’t that help determine the top eight easier?

So for example:
Me (3pts) vs Em (2pts)
Ha (3pts) vs Ah (1pt)

In theory, wouldn’t challonge give HA a better score over ME since HA got scored on less by the opponent? That way all the 3-2 bladers are truly ranked by their points and then whoever is #8 is the real #8.

Of course that’ll mean the organizer and judges would have to really keep track of the end results.
(Nov. 11, 2021  12:55 AM)Mike.Nightwing Wrote: Question: if during the open rounds the scores of each match were added in challonge instead of the winner getting one point, wouldn’t that help determine the top eight easier?

So for example:
Me (3pts) vs Em (2pts)
Ha (3pts) vs Ah (1pt)

In theory, wouldn’t challonge give HA a better score over ME since HA got scored on less by the opponent? That way all the 3-2 bladers are truly ranked by their points and then whoever is #8 is the real #8.

Of course that’ll mean the organizer and judges would have to really keep track of the end results.

That seems unnecessarily cruel to someone who gets burst or swept. Sometimes you get a bad matchup and you lose every point, you go 0-3. Does that mean you did worse than everyone who lost 2-3 that round? The result is the same, you still didn't win.

Or let's say you're 1 and 1 and one of you gets burst; it's over, and now you're 1-3 for that round and behind everyone who got 2. It makes an extra dimension to losing, it's a new pain to keep track of, and it salts the wound a lot more. Buchholz, in tournaments that support it, measures the quality of your opponents and can give you an extra push to the finals if it's determined that everyone you faced was really good during the tournament. Points diff, which you propose and Challonge supports, means we would probably have fewer ties, but a lot more salt. Every single point would matter even more, and we'd have people rules sharking for every point. My god, the arguments over ties would be even worse...
(Nov. 11, 2021  12:55 AM)Mike.Nightwing Wrote: Question: if during the open rounds the scores of each match were added in challonge instead of the winner getting one point, wouldn’t that help determine the top eight easier?

So for example:
Me (3pts) vs Em (2pts)
Ha (3pts) vs Ah (1pt)

Once I got home and settled I actually did some research on challonge. I meant to make a thread but honestly forgot. I’ve considered doing several things for tournaments like point wins but they all result in extra work for judges who are already volunteering. More so it will possibly add a significant amount of time to the tournaments also.

Here is what I found out regarding challonge though. You have your record, score, tie breakers, buchholz and points difference. It’s a lot of categories but the only ones that really matter are your record, tie breakers and buccholz.

Your record is straight forward wins and loses.

Tie breakers show the amount of other players you beat with your same record. So if there are 10 players with a 4-1 record and 2 of those players have 2 points in there TB column then they beat 2 other players with there same record somewhere within the tournament. Still this isn’t too helpful for seeing who should advance within Swiss.

The other column, that is of the most importance, is Buchholz. That column shows your overall skill level pretty much. At the beginning of the tournament everyone is on equal ground, no wins or losses. As we progress records start and we are paired with players of similar records/skill. Players with higher win records gain high points and the opposite is true for players on the other end with low win records and less points. Everytime you play someone and win you gain a certain amount of points from them. The “better” or stronger the opponent, as in they have a great record, the more points you gain essentially. So if players are tied then the one with the higher buchholz is considered to advance as they beat the stronger of opponents.  

Theres a little more to buccholz than this but I feel like I’m getting annoying by writing all this lol, so my bad if I’m doing too much. I just had to research this to ensure I do things right and fair in the future.