New to community

Hello. So once upon a time back when beyblades was first out in America a friend and I had bought a couple of beyblades. (The ones that used two clips to hold the thing together.) We bought an arena and we were good to go. That was many years ago, and although we are still great friends, I just asked him what we did with them. We argued about it like mature adults and decided that they were long gone. I took a look at what they were selling in stores and they looked different and almost not even metal anymore. I figured beyblades went the way of all of all of the rest of today's toys. Into a sheltered land of angry mom's writhing with safety concerns ultimately making them undesirable. Fast forward to today. I stumble across this child on YouTube that is crazy passionate about them and got me curious only to find out that they ultimately discontinued them in all of the stores I cold go to in 2 hours. I was a very sad adult kid.

Upon doing some research. Apparently there is a Japanese company that makes them as well a hasbro. I'm very curious as the quality and assembly of these ones. They don't look like the colorful plastic looking ones at all but more resemble the original ones.

Long story short... I miss them man. I really do. I was directed to this site by a random video on YouTube as a community that I a great for buying, selling, trading, and just plain old nerd in out.

Does anybody have any tips or direction. Keep in mind this is basically my first affiliation with a forum community.
There's a lot to answer in this post!

So, here's the very basic version: Beyblade is actually a Japanese toy, and has always been designed by Takara-Tomy (formerly just Takara). Every Hasbro Beyblade was originally designed by Takara, although Hasbro has at some times made alterations to the designs, and infamously, designed their own (terrible) stadiums.

There are three series of Beyblade:

The original series, known as "Bakuten Shoot Beyblade" in Japan: http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:..._Beyblades

Metal Fight/Metal Fusion Beyblade, the last series to have been released worldwide: http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Category:..._Beyblades

And the currently running series in Japan, Beyblade Burst. We predict it will launch worldwide around 2017:
http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Beyblade_Burst

Most of us are currently importing and playing Beyblade Burst as it comes out in monthly releases. Hope all of this helps, feel free to ask more questions!
Thank you for the response. I will look into these. I just started rewatching the first Anima and it has me feeling very nostalgic. I found one from the original maker, Takara Tomy an it looks beautiful but I don't know what line it is from the packaging looks to be in all japanese. The only thing I could get from it was the 4D bit on it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TOMY-Metal-...7984368017
It's Diablo Nemesis X:D. More info: http://wiki.worldbeyblade.org/index.php?...emesis_X:D

I totally get how nostalgic the first anime is. I actually wrote a ton about it here: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Random-B...pid1266272
(Dec. 13, 2015  8:27 PM)Dvlmchn Wrote: Thank you for the response. I will look into these. I just started rewatching the first Anima and it has me feeling very nostalgic. I found one from the original maker, Takara Tomy an it looks beautiful but I don't know what line it is from the packaging looks to be in all japanese. The only thing I could get from it was the 4D bit on it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TOMY-Metal-...7984368017

To elaborate further on Metal Fight Beyblade, there are several sub-series within MFB, each with their own sets of gimmicks and design features.

In order of release:
- Metal System (sometimes called Pre-HWS)
- Hybrid Wheel System
- 4D System
- Zero-G System (or Synchrome System)

What you found is Diablo Nemesis, a 4D-era Beyblade. 4D Beyblades usually feature mode-changing gimmicks, with components that can be rotated or flipped to alter the Beyblade's performance.

MFB started with the Metal System, with four parts:
- Face (Face Bolt in the Hasbro release): A hexagonal screw that holds the Beyblade together.
- Wheel: The main disk part of the Beyblade, made from a zinc alloy.
- Track: Connects the Face, Wheel, and Tip together; available in different heights and with gimmicks.
- Tip: What the Beyblade spins on; may be made from plastic, metal, or rubber.

The Hybrid Wheel System splits the Wheel into two parts - a metal "Metal Wheel" (Fusion Wheel in the Hasbro release) and a plastic "Clear Wheel" (Energy Ring). Most Metal Wheels and Clear Wheels are compatible with one another, though some Beyblades (like Lightning L-Drago) can only use certain Clear Wheels.

Changes in the 4D system include yet another splitting of the Wheel, usually breaking the Metal Wheel into two or three parts. These parts are not interchangeable like Clear Wheels, but they may be assembled in different ways to act as different "modes". 4D also adds 4D bottoms, which are gimmicked parts combining the Track and Tip, typically featuring changing tips.

Zero-G literally reinvents the Wheel - instead of a Clear Wheel on top and a Metal Wheel below, there are now plastic Crystal Wheels and metal Chrome Wheels, which can be oriented with either part on top. Two Chrome Wheels may also be assembled together, creating an all-metal Synchrome. Zero-G parts are cross compatible with older Tracks, Tips, and 4D bottoms, but the Face has been replaced with the Stone Face.

I know Bakuten Shoot has a similarly detailed history, but it's something I personally don't know much about. Another member might be able to help you with the original series if you're interested in learning about it.
(Dec. 13, 2015  9:15 PM)Festive Cake Wrote: I know Bakuten Shoot has a similarly detailed history, but it's something I personally don't know much about. Another member might be able to help you with the original series if you're interested in learning about it.

I herd u liek plestix and hummus?

Ah, the original Beyblade.
There were a few distinct Series released:
4-Layer
5-Layer
Magnecore/V2
G/Engine Gear
HMS

4 Layer was the first system of Beyblade. You had the Bit, which shows the "spirit of the Beyblade", the Weight disk which gives the proper balance and weight to spin, and the Base which determines how tall the Beyblade is and how it moves in battle.
5 Layer added the Spin Gear, which separated the Base into two pieces. The Spin Gear can either be in Right spin or Left spin; Left spinning being a new feature introduced on Dragoon S.
The Magnecore system changed the spin gear again, making it have different cores that were swappable. Such as one with a little metal, all plastic, a north or south magnet, and an all metal one. The second half, the V2 Series, added Support Parts which furthered customization of the Base.
The G series changed the bases and spin gears, for a new gimmick; Engine Gears. Now the Beyblade has a windable gear that will go off at the beginning or middle of the battle. The gears spin really fast, and increase how long the bey spins.

HMS was the first different system; which added metal attacking parts, and is separate from the previous systems. It's praised as being one of the most competitive and fun formats of Beyblade.

As for buying them, Plastics are easy to get in a good EBay lot; but HMS is iffy. The first 3 HMS are insanely cheap, but they aren't very good, and Death Gargoyle and Dragoon MS are getting into the $50 and $100 range.
Welcome to the wbo, please do join the major league bladers, we all like beyblade, we all play beyblade, and we all talk beyblade.
Oh wow those are some great responses. Very informative. Also Bey Brad... Your view on the first Anima was a a very good read. Thank you for sharing.

Cake I really appreciate the time taken to narrow that whole MFB series down. I like things that have weight and don't feel fake. When you refer to the 4D variety using gimmicks. Are these gimmicks practical? Or and am I going to be underwhelmed and feel like I'm being sold a bag of goods? So I guess I like things that feel professional. Am I going to get that feeling with the 4D line? Is Zero G a beeter buy? Is there anybody else who prefers the quality over quantity idea?
I like the sound of zero g but as with any mechanism the more moving parts the bigger chance of error.

Also is there a prefered seller you guys would recommend?

This is great info. I need to know what line to buy. I bought the beywarrior set at a clothing store for 10 bucks just for the arena. I have one diablo nemesis coming in. I need another one lol.

I guess based on my preferences I need to know what series to invest my time in.

PS Neo you got me so nostalgic bringing up magnacore. We had one of those magnet circle bases haha
(Dec. 15, 2015  1:37 AM)Dvlmchn Wrote: Cake I really appreciate the time taken to narrow that whole MFB series down. I like things that have weight and don't feel fake. When you refer to the 4D variety using gimmicks. Are these gimmicks practical? Or and am I going to be underwhelmed and feel like I'm being sold a bag of goods? So I guess I like things that feel professional. Am I going to get that feeling with the 4D line? Is Zero G a beeter buy? Is there anybody else who prefers the quality over quantity idea?
I like the sound of zero g but as with any mechanism the more moving parts the bigger chance of error.

This is great info. I need to know what line to buy. I bought the beywarrior set at a clothing store for 10 bucks just for the arena. I have one diablo nemesis coming in. I need another one lol.

I guess based on my preferences I need to know what series to invest my time in.
The WBO has three official tournament formats for MFB - Standard, Limited, and Zero-G.

Standard is more or less unlimited; you may use almost any official, unmodified parts from all of MFB - Metal System through Zero-G. However, over time, Metal Wheels (or whatever parts form the main disk) have become progressively heavier and more powerful - Zero-G Synchromes are over half again as heavy as earlier HWS and Metal System Wheels. As a result, only some 4D releases and Zero-G Wheels are competitively viable (though Tracks and Tips from earlier systems have not faced nearly as much power creep).

Limited seeks to counteract that weight creep by having an extensive ban list featuring most of the heavier parts available. Almost all 4D Metal Wheels are banned, Synchromes are banned, and the super-heavy disk tracks like BD145 are banned. Limited allows a lot of parts that were outclassed upon release by heavier, more powerful parts to be used competitively, and provides a fun alternate game mode to Standard's ultra-heavy combos. However, the ban list is subject to changes from time to time, so the metagame does shift around a bit.

Zero-G has minimal parts restrictions like Standard does, but it is played in the swaying Stadiums unique to the Zero-G line. The shifting playing field makes Zero-G very different from Standard or Limited, and can feel a bit more chaotic and random than the other formats with their non-wobbling Stadiums Smile

Which format(s) you want to play will naturally affect your buying decisions if you want to be competitive; for Standard you should focus on Zero-G and some specific 4D Beyblades, for Limited, early top-tier parts like Pegasis, Earth, and Lightning are used alongside later oddballs like Bakushin and Jade, and even a few Zero-G parts. Zero-G format uses mostly parts from the Zero-G line, because those parts are intended with the Zero-G stadiums in mind.

When buying specific Beyblades to build a competitive collection, prioritize in order of which parts affect the Beyblade most - you can make do with a subpar Track or Clear Wheel, usually, but using a substitute Metal Wheel or Tip can ruin the combo. Focus your buying towards metal parts first (which make up most of the Beyblade's mass), then the tip (which affects its Attack, Defense, and Stamina strongly), then the Track (certain Tracks are fairly heavy, and can have a strong effect of performance), then any other plastic parts.

Regarding 4D's gimmicked parts, almost all the 4D Bottoms fall into the "fun, but non-competitive" category. The mode changes are entertaining, but it usually involves the tip changing from a bad tip to a slightly worse one. Only Bearing Drive is competitive, and it is arguably the least gimmicky 4D bottom - it doesn't have a mode change at all. The story with 4D Metal Wheels is marginally better - usually, at least one of the modes is good. Most 4D Metal Wheels have two modes: one that's good and everyone uses, and one that's either slightly worse or a LOT worse that nobody uses. Only Phantom, Death, and Wing actually have meaningful mode switches where more than one mode is was viable, and at this point only Phantom's Attack mode and Death's Defense mode are still usable in Standard, while Wing is more or less forgotten completely. 4D's gimmicks have always been more entertaining than competitive, and Zero-G was really the last nail in the coffin for most 4D parts.

I would love to recommend the 4D series to you, as 4D beyblades have a lot of the qualities you are looking for (satisfying weight; artistic, unique designs; entertaining gimmicks; symmetry (something Zero-G doesn't have)), but 4D is kind of stuck in competitive limbo at the moment. It's too strong for Limited, and is banned in that format, but 4D parts are still generally too weak to compete in Standard or Zero-G, where the heavier Synchromes win out. A handful of 4D wheels are still viable (Duo, Flash, Diablo, Phantom, and Scythe), though they are generally resigned to niche combos that see little use. Unless a properly balanced 4D format springs up overnight, you have two main options for MFB: buy Zero-G parts for Standard and Zero-G, or buy early MFB parts for Limited. Standard and Zero-G feature heavy, powerful combos, while Limited offers more diverse options with lighter-weight combos. I would suggest getting involved in either Standard or Limited to start, as Zero-G is very different from anything before or since.
Hey! Welcome to the WBO.

I think I can help you with the companies.

1. Takara Tomy (Was once just "Takara", but the 2 companies merged somewhere in there.) are the original creators of beyblade, they still create new series today like the most recent "Beyblade Burst". They are based in and distribute beyblades in Japan.

2. Sonokong is the Korean distributor of Beyblade. During the early and mid Plastic generation, their beyblades were made of weaker plastic than that of Takara Tomy and Hasbro. This was fixed during at the beginning of the Engine Gear sub-generation series.

3. Hasbro is the North American distributor of beyblade and the brand that your beyblades were probably. They have the rights to distribute in North America. They enjoy casually dropping beyblade side shows like Beywheelz (Its exactly what it sounds like), Beyraiderz, Beywarriorz, etc.
Wow awesome response. So much informatioN and completely unbiased. I found a lot of beyblades for 10 dollars I will be picking up tomorrow. I am going to do my research on them and find out what they are. And as I'm not going to do any competition other than with friends I think I am going to look at the earlier MFB series. Thanks again for your time. If I have any questions on my spoils tomorrow. What is an appropriate thread to post in?
Oh - one more (very important) thing:

Be careful to avoid fakes. There is a brand of fake Beyblades called Rapidity (there are others, but Rapidity is the most common) that you should avoid. Fakes are usually lower-quality, shinier, and cheaper (almost always <$10USD, while real Beyblades are often in the $10-$20 range) than official TT, SK, or Hasbro Beyblades, and, most importantly, they are illegal in WBO tournaments. Always check the description and manufacturer when buying online, so you don't accidentally buy fakes.

A quick guide to spotting fakes

The Bey Marketplace subforum, for selling, trading, and discussion thereof

Recent Beyblade Purchases, to show off your loot

The general Q&A thread for all things Beyblade

Beyblade Random Thoughts, for general Beyblade discussion.
A+ read Cake, thanks for posting.
If any of you guys see this... I posted a picture of my finds today on the thread that Festive Cake linked me. Thanks again