Natural Weather Phenomenae

Talk about natural disasters and such here. No need to create new things for specific incidents.

So the general consensus is I'm not crazy and there was an actual earthquake just now in the northeast US. Who felt that?
The repercussions were felt even in Québec ... Are there any damages in the United States ?
I DID!!!!! I THOUGHT THE DEVIL WAS IN MY HOUSE!!!!! That was creepy....
@ Kai-V not that I know of...
I was just reading about that on FB. Unfortunately, I didn't feel anything, but it happened. How big was it? Where did it strike?
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:16 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The repercussions were felt even in Québec ... Are there any damages in the United States ?
Not that I know of. The first thing I did was check the tide to make sure I wasn't going to get hit with a giant wave. It's origin is in Virginia.
Just now, there was an 5.9 earthquake in maryland. I was scared as shat. Took my shoes and skateborad Tired.
I am literally the only person who did not feel the earthquake. My mom called me from work telling me that everyone there felt it. Everyone except me.
Bey-Heart said everything is OK. He was over by the main part, I beleive.
He said the only thing that fell was a drawing XD

A bunch of us were talking about it after it happened XD

Glad nobody was hurt. Wasn't it a 5.8?
It was a 5.9 in mid-Virginia so it could not have been a 5.9 in Maryland, although, if I felt in on Long Island, then it must have been huge in Maryland.

It was updated to a 5.9 a few minutes after I originally checked.
The news said 5.9 and if it got to 6.0 it would've been history for MD I think lol. I think he said that. My golf club fell down also. Never been that scared before....
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:23 PM)Deikailo Wrote: It was a 5.9 in mid-Virginia so it could not have been a 5.9 in Maryland, although, if I felt in on Long Island, then it must have been huge in Maryland.

It was updated to a 5.9 a few minutes after I originally checked.

Phones are down in Maryland and a few other states. So it must of been?
The earthquake itself was 5.9, but as its radius expands, the magnitude goes down.

Funny, I though I was just so tired and dizzy that my eyes were just shaking. It wasn't until I saw the lamp shade move that I knew it wasn't me.
Speaking of natural disasters here, and not just the earthquake, apparently a hurricane's coming to the East Coast of the U.S. Florida to the Carolina's are the ones at most risk, although states farther north could experience blackouts from powerlines that were knocked over, and some storms. The article is here if you guys want more info, I guess.
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:28 PM)Deikailo Wrote: The earthquake itself was 5.9, but as its radius expands, the magnitude goes down.

Funny, I though I was just so tired and dizzy that my eyes were just shaking. It wasn't until I saw the lamp shade move that I knew it wasn't me.

Kinda like a ripple in a pond.

Hah, I know that feeling. I also start to loose balance XD
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:22 PM)Nano Wrote: Bey-Heart said everything is OK. He was over by the main part, I beleive.
He said the only thing that fell was a drawing XD
No. I said that the only thing that fell in my girlfriends house was a drawing. Nothing fell at my house.

I thought it was strong winds, so I was thinking tornado... Don't ask...

Man, what's going on with the East Coast? It had storms all last week and now this...
This was my first eartquake,wierd feeling though.
Okay so i felt an earthquake but, what funny is that i thought i was shaking the chair then i felt the floor shaking so that my story
I didn't feel it either. My dads good friends live right where it happened. We got so scared that we texted them, but they responded saying:

"We definitely felt it but WE'RE FINE"

The caps made me feel better. They were just worried about us worrying, so that's a relief.
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:30 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: Speaking of natural disasters here, and not just the earthquake, apparently a hurricane's coming to the East Coast of the U.S. Florida to the Carolina's are the ones at most risk, although states farther north could experience blackouts from powerlines that were knocked over, and some storms. The article is here if you guys want more info, I guess.
I don't normally worry until the day before it hits. It can go back down to a tropical storm all of a sudden, too.

When we ARE hit, we have to get the pails to bail the waters from our quarters.
I felt nothing. :V
Though I know it is easier to feel from top of my condominium rather than first floor off the ground.. (From experience last summer.) Yep hope no one is/was injured!

Stop these phenomenae with your knives, everyone!!!
Are local power grids supposed to switch off when the external temperature gets too high? We had a rolling blackout here in Arlington Texas recently.
It was that big?!

Jeez, the worst it did to me was move my TV lol

Edit: I forgot to quote Rotation xP
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:53 PM)Dan Wrote: I felt nothing. :V
Though I know it is easier to feel from top of my condominium rather than first floor off the ground.. (From experience last summer.) Yep hope no one is/was injured!

I was litterally under ground, hah.
(Aug. 23, 2011  8:15 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2011  7:53 PM)Dan Wrote: I felt nothing. :V

I was litterally under ground, hah.

You were in a basement? Wouldn't that make it easier to feel?

Actually, you're in Quebec, right? I was told it was felt all the way up to R.I, and all the way down to GA.