Music recommendations

Tamer Brad Wrote:
Guitar_Legend Wrote:then i guess theres no room for arguing?
i honestly dont see a huge difference between them

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/30se...utiful_lie
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/mych...ack_parade

I'm not talking about how well the rolling stones rated them,
I'm talking about their SOUND.
Not the amount of talent or what critics think about the band.
But If I heard a MCR song on the radio, followed by a 30STM song, I think they would sound similar.

atleast 30STM actually sounds decent live, and doesn't need to put on a play to entertain the crowd.
evidently "talent" is not an important factor to you, as you admit yourself

anyway, the bands sound nothing alike, get over it
do you expect me not to get mad at these jabs? if you want to stop arguing why provoke it further?
'evidently "talent" is not an important factor to you, as you admit yourself'
i didn't even state i liked the band, why assume that?

im pretty sure alice doesn't care about reviews on a band
I dont understand why you think 30STM is such a bad choice to go along with bands like MCR, 3 Days Grace, ect.
Yeah, Three Days Grace is pretty bad too.

lol Just sayin'.
ЯOAN Wrote:Yeah, Three Days Grace is pretty bad too.

lol Just sayin'.

they are Unhappy get out of my country three days grace

guitar legend, you did say it:

Quote:I'm not talking about how well the rolling stones rated them,
I'm talking about their SOUND.
Not the amount of talent or what critics think about the band.

by your own admission there's no discrepancy between a band, even if there's a large gap in talent, as long as they have the same sound (which they don't)

I'm willing to bet you haven't listened to The Black Parade album anyway, so I don't know why I'm bothering.
mhmm, i suppose it does sound as though i meant that.
my intentions were to get across that when Alice asked for some new bands, I don't think she was too concerned about how much talent was behind the actual band itself, which is why I thought 30STM wasn't a bad choice with other bands such as three days grace. my opinion on talent behind a band should have remained null during the argument but I guess my argument was a bit mis-leading.

If she was asking for bands with great lyrics or unique concepts to the album, I'd think those choices would have been really stupid.

i hope my point is clear Smile for the record, I dont listen to any of these bands
( i have listened to the black parade twice, but im gonna let that go)
Artie Wrote:beethoven cello sonata #3
mozart clarinet concerto
tchaiskovsky march slav

My boyfriend used to be a music reviewer for Gramophone, so he has over 2,000 classical CD's which I hear bits of reguarly. 8)

I'm not a huge Mozart or Beethoven freak, but I like Tchaikovsky. Have you heard any Alkan or Ligeti?

And STOP RECOMMENDING BRITISH BANDS FFS I'M FROM BRITAIN
I recommend:

Muse - words just can't describe how amazing this band is. They're INCREDIBLE live; absolutely breathtaking. They've won countless awards for 'Best Live Act' because... carp, they blow you away.
If you're going to download or buy an album, get 'Black Holes & Revelations', 'Origin of Symmetry' and 'Absolution'.
I haven't made a topic about them yet because I have too much to say!

Porcupine Tree - A great rock band, their songs create a wonderful atmosphere and all of their albums offer something slightly different. They've got a slight Pink Floyd-ness about them, but the music is a lot heavier. Get the album 'Deadwing', I love it.

And for classical music lovers...

Alkan - anything performed by Jack Gibbons, preferrably. Alkan's music is sometimes beautiful, sometimes crazy, such as his 'Allegro Barbaro' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSqkzsWXlU (HARDCORE PIANO PLAYING BTW)

I think he almost faints after playing it, haha. Alkan is a wonderful virtuoso composer and Jack Gibbons a wonderful virtuoso pianist.

Chopin - typical, but one of my favourite composers. Listen to everything he has done. <3

J.S. Bach - He wrote tons and tons of music and I've only heard a bit, but his style is very recognizable and I think his music is wonderful. I love the English and French Suites and the Goldberg Variations. (surprise surprise)

Sergei Rachmaninov - Probably my overall favourite composer. Please listen to 'Piano Concerto No.3' if you haven't already - it's very well known and just amazing.
WTF is up with so much negativity toward 30 Seconds to Mars? I happen to hate My Chemical Romance and I don't see any comparison between them and 30 Seconds to Mars. Sure they might not be the greatest musicians in the world, but I still enjoy their music. I don't like all of their songs, but a lot of them are good. Franz Ferdinand and My Chemical Romance are two of my least favorite bands ever. That's just my opinion, but a lot of other people like them. I don't like a band just because they are good musicians. Going by your music reviews My Chemical Romance is "1 star" better than the Muse albums reviewed. You can't compare sound of each band, but Muse are way better musicians. It's all just based on taste not reviews and "skillz". I could go through and give reasons why I don't like every band that people have recommended, but I'm not going to because everyone has different tastes. Proceed to argue with me about how wrong I am.
Its not so much the fact that you named 30 Seconds to Mars, its more along the lines of the context in which you named them.

Some of the other bands you recommended totally don't fit in with them.

That's why I was wtf'ing you. I don't know for sure if Brad had the same reasoning. lol

Edit: 700 posts. w00t.
ЯOAN Wrote:Its not so much the fact that you named 30 Seconds to Mars, its more along the lines of the context in which you named them.

Some of the other bands you recommended totally don't fit in with them.

That's why I was wtf'ing you. I don't know for sure if Brad had the same reasoning. lol

Edit: 700 posts. w00t.

I understand that. They are probably my least favorite of the ones I listed, but I like a few of their songs so I thought I would suggest it.
Oh, I only just read the whole '30 Seconds to Mars' argument, haha! Totally missed that.

I will check them out regardless, thanks for the suggestion!
Uh, all I'm saying is that the comment that 30 Seconds to Mars and My Chemical Romance sound the same is completely baseless. I don't like 30 Seconds to Mars, but I never once bashed them. :\
Check out Failure,Ken Andrews(Secrets of the Lost Satellite), and Year of the Rabbit. Ken Andrews is the singer for all of them. Hum is also really good and have a similar sound to Failure. Failure and Hum are two of the best bands from the '90's IMO.
For the record, the lead guitarist in mcr is the only person in the band with any talent.

And Alice;

the Vines
Broken Social Scene(may be way too artsy for you)
Death from Above 1979(bassist/drummer duo. Punk/Disco/noise crazy music)
Metric(think modern new-wave lol)
Pink Floyd(hit and mis band as far as my tastes go. Wish you were here is easily one of the best songs ever written)
TMRaven Wrote:ThreeDaysGrace all the way. It might be a little cliche, but of course if you havn't listened to them yet it's 100% win.

Yeah just about anything by them.

I think I've only heard about 1 or 2 songs from TDG I didn't like out of all their albums.
I suggest illScarlett. It's kind of reggae rock, ska, and punk. I don't really know, but there are songs on that disc the polar opposite of the generic "Nothing Special" radio-friendly rock. It's pretty good stuff.
the Beatles are pretty cool. Have you heard of them Alice?
SexyMichael Wrote:the Beatles are pretty cool. Have you heard of them Alice?

The Beatles you say? Who are these Beatles you speak of?

LOL

Man ... Three Days Grace ... Unhappy "Pain" is actually one of the worst songs I've ever heard.
Tamer Brad Wrote:

LOL

Man ... Three Days Grace ... Unhappy "Pain" is actually one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

Oh my god, thank youuuuu.

There's this kid at work that sings it like 24/7 and it makes me want to swallow a hose full of BBs.
PAIN - WITHOUT LOVE
PAIN - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH
PAIN - 'CAUSE I LIKE IT ROUGH
BECAUSE I'D RATHER FEEL PAIN THAN NOTHING AT ALLLL
RATHER FEEL PAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!
Tamer Brad Wrote:Man ... Three Days Grace ... Unhappy "Pain" is actually one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

... D: I love it.

Tamer Brad Wrote:PAIN - WITHOUT LOVE
PAIN - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH
PAIN - 'CAUSE I LIKE IT ROUGH
BECAUSE I'D RATHER FEEL PAIN THAN NOTHING AT ALLLL
RATHER FEEL PAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU FEEL
SO FILTHY
SO DIRTY
SO carp UP
IF YOU FEEL
SO WALKED ON
SO PAINFUL
SO PISSED OFF
YOU'RE NOT THE
ONLY ONE
REFUSING
TO GO DOWN
YOU'RE NOT THE
ONLY ONE
SO GET UUUUUUUUP
Three Days Grace honestly has some of THE worst lyrics in music I have ever seen.