Million Megalados, 3D Printable Layer

Hello. I have seen a recent trend on Youtube with youtubers showing off their custom designed 3D printed layers. Kevo's Collision layer, and Ilinnuc's custom bey both seem really awesome and perform well. Because of this, I felt it would be appreciated if I were to show off my own design, which I made a few weeks ago. It is built off of a free template model I found on Yeggi. The template was simply a smooth circle, so everything else on it is of my own design. I used FreeCAD to modify the model and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Here are some pics of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NUu5Xo12yQiXiKGd9

Hopefully you all think the design is cool. I got a quote from a 3D printing place and it would cost $40 to make it out of the cheapest material, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea, as it could just break instantly. It also wouldn't come in color, so I am contemplating redesigning the layer to be multiple parts that connect together, so that each can be printed in a different color, or at least just spray painted separately. Hopefully you all like it, and maybe one day I can print this and test it out. Thanks!
That is beautiful layer
Collision (and it's similar, incredibly rounded and OP prototype Proto) are usable, but very basic looking. This though? This looks downright amazing, more like Illinuc's bey, and I really like that. Design-wise, it's about an 8.5/10, solid but maybe a little too flat and samey around the edges.

I do have a concern with some of these fin pieces though, as they're so thin that they're probably going to take damage or break pretty quickly. This might be something worth redesigning to some degree before trying to make it IRL, although I will admit they look really cool.
(Jun. 10, 2018  5:16 AM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote: Would the layer work with Burst pieces?

Seems so. I'm really digging the design
It would be great to separate the pieces into like 2 or 3. IT seems super intricate and would be hard to paint.
(Jun. 10, 2018  5:19 AM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote: It would be great to separate the pieces into like 2 or 3.  IT seems super intricate and would be hard to paint.

Definitely. I noticed by the looks of yours I thought it had a mode change
Oh, wow! I'm so happy that you saw this, Ilinnuc! I really adored your custom bey and it's regal design. Seeing how you showed off your own unique, one of a kind bey inspired me to show mine off. I definitely need to modify Megalados a bit to make it sturdier and easier to paint, but I should have more time for that this summer. I'll get working on an upgraded version ASAP. For now, think of this as Megalados M1, with M2 on the way. =D

Again, thank you all for the feedback.

(Jun. 10, 2018  5:16 AM)Real_ilinnuc Wrote: Would the layer work with Burst pieces?

Oh, and yes! This is designed to work with Burst.
(Jun. 10, 2018  7:58 PM)XanderM Wrote: Oh, wow! I'm so happy that you saw this, Ilinnuc! I really adored your custom bey and it's regal design. Seeing how you showed off your own unique, one of a kind bey inspired me to show mine off. I definitely need to modify Megalados a bit to make it sturdier and easier to paint, but I should have more time for that this summer. I'll get working on an upgraded version ASAP. For now, think of this as Megalados M1, with M2 on the way. =D

Again, thank you all for the feedback.

Oh, and yes! This is designed to work with Burst.

Send me a PM when you have the second version up! I would for sure show this off on my channel!

PS (Maybe have part of it be metal?)
Wow! This design is super awesome. I love it. It looks a little fragile and it might need a few changes to make it more sturdy but besides that it's a good prototype for an awesome Bey. Great job. Grin
(Jun. 10, 2018  4:38 AM)MagikHorse Wrote: Collision (and it's similar, incredibly rounded and OP prototype Proto) are usable, but very basic looking. This though? This looks downright amazing, more like Illinuc's bey, and I really like that. Design-wise, it's about an 8.5/10, solid but maybe a little too flat and samey around the edges.

I do have a concern with some of these fin pieces though, as they're so thin that they're probably going to take damage or break pretty quickly. This might be something worth redesigning to some degree before trying to make it IRL, although I will admit they look really cool.

I would love to have the most intricate designs but I'm not that experienced with the software. Nonetheless, I'm treating this like a learning process for myself. With the help of others I have made some significant progress though.
(Jun. 10, 2018  11:12 PM)Kevo Wrote:
(Jun. 10, 2018  4:38 AM)MagikHorse Wrote: Collision (and it's similar, incredibly rounded and OP prototype Proto) are usable, but very basic looking. This though? This looks downright amazing, more like Illinuc's bey, and I really like that. Design-wise, it's about an 8.5/10, solid but maybe a little too flat and samey around the edges.

I would love to have the most intricate designs but I'm not that experienced with the software. Nonetheless, I'm treating this like a learning process for myself. With the help of others I have made some significant progress though.

WOAH!!! My day was just made even better. To see that Kevo AND Ilinnuc BOTH saw this!!! This is so great! I hope you liked the design Kevo. Also, I actually really liked the Collision layer's design. It's not too detailed, but it looks unique and effective, and with a theme and some colors, it will look even cooler! Good luck on learning the software. I actually only picked it up because I had the design in mind and wanted to print it, so it doesn't take too long. I look forward to seeing your designs evolve over time.
So, I've been working on the redesign with the color in mind. This is what I have so far. The first pic shows how many practice pieces I've made, as I dragged them below the layer for safekeeping. The second pic shows the overview. It's not as pretty just yet, but I plan on making it look really nice over time. The light blue part slides onto the dark blue part and clips on. Also, the sketch on the right shows my intent to make the pair of sharks be on the edge as contact points. Again, this is a WIP and I'm sure the finished product will look very different. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GcNSqEYAE8MbUL9f7
This is looking good!
(Jun. 12, 2018  11:19 PM)XanderM Wrote: So, I've been working on the redesign with the color in mind. This is what I have so far. The first pic shows how many practice pieces I've made, as I dragged them below the layer for safekeeping. The second pic shows the overview. It's not as pretty just yet, but I plan on making it look really nice over time. The light blue part slides onto the dark blue part and clips on. Also, the sketch on the right shows my intent to make the pair of sharks be on the edge as contact points. Again, this is a WIP and I'm sure the finished product will look very different. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

What do you use to makes these prototype?
(Jun. 13, 2018  10:29 AM)ClearWing R34 Wrote:
(Jun. 12, 2018  11:19 PM)XanderM Wrote: So, I've been working on the redesign with the color in mind. This is what I have so far. The first pic shows how many practice pieces I've made, as I dragged them below the layer for safekeeping. The second pic shows the overview. It's not as pretty just yet, but I plan on making it look really nice over time. The light blue part slides onto the dark blue part and clips on. Also, the sketch on the right shows my intent to make the pair of sharks be on the edge as contact points. Again, this is a WIP and I'm sure the finished product will look very different. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

What do you use to makes these prototype?

I use FreeCad. It's pretty simple to use but is very powerful. If you are asking about what base I use, I was using a free burst layer template that I found by searching for it on Yeggi.
(Jun. 13, 2018  5:48 PM)XanderM Wrote:
(Jun. 13, 2018  10:29 AM)ClearWing R34 Wrote: What do you use to makes these prototype?

I use FreeCad. It's pretty simple to use but is very powerful. If you are asking about what base I use, I was using a free burst layer template that I found by searching for it on Yeggi.

@[XanderM] do you know how to make metal fill pieces that can be joined with plastic parts later on? I'm looking at shapeways as an option for a Cho-Z bey idea I've got in mind.

A few questions though:

Have you had any molds printed yet? If so, what's the usual cost of using services?

Could you post a link to the base layer model?

Would I have to make separate components of the layer, one each for the metal underside parts as well as the plastic "upper casing"?

If I were to have a metal part or a separate plastic piece printed, can you get metal printed in a specific color?

What are the sturdiest options for plastic and metal?

I'm hoping I didn't ask you too many questions...I'm just very curious as to what it may take to make a durable, quality layer to life...

Also, I wanted to get an idea of the different filaments available. What do you think would be the best plastic filament to emulate the plastic of Burst layers?
(Jun. 16, 2018  8:55 AM)Dragunix Wrote:
(Jun. 13, 2018  5:48 PM)XanderM Wrote: I use FreeCad. It's pretty simple to use but is very powerful. If you are asking about what base I use, I was using a free burst layer template that I found by searching for it on Yeggi.

@[XanderM] do you know how to make metal fill pieces that can be joined with plastic parts later on? I'm looking at shapeways as an option for a Cho-Z bey idea I've got in mind.

A few questions though:

Have you had any molds printed yet? If so, what's the usual cost of using services?

Would I have to make separate components of the layer, one each for the metal underside parts as well as the plastic "upper casing"?

If I were to have a metal part or a separate plastic piece printed, can you get metal printed in a specific color?

I'm hoping I didn't ask you too many questions...I'm just very curious as to what it may take to make a durable, quality layer to life...

Also, I wanted to get an idea of the different filaments available. What do you think would be the best plastic filament to emulate the plastic of Burst layers?

So, I recently made an upgraded Megalados M2 which has a large metal component, which stays together with the rest of the bey by clipping into the other two layers. I haven't printed any of my designs yet, but I plan to very soon. I've gotten quotes and they can cost anywhere from 50 to a couple hundred dollars, depending on the material used. I'm not sure what material would be best yet, but I plan on consulting with other beytrainers who have printed their own designs to see what works best. It has to be a good mix between hardness and softness, as to not bend, but also not shatter. Also, yes, each layer has to be a separate component. They must be printed separately.

I'm sorry that I'm not an expert on this, but it is a fairly new trend popping up (or at least that's how it seems to me) so some experimentation and failures are bound to occur. Maybe we could chat more in private messages to talk about it?
(Jun. 16, 2018  9:10 AM)XanderM Wrote:
(Jun. 16, 2018  8:55 AM)Dragunix Wrote: @[XanderM] do you know how to make metal fill pieces that can be joined with plastic parts later on? I'm looking at shapeways as an option for a Cho-Z bey idea I've got in mind.

A few questions though:

So, I recently made an upgraded Megalados M2 which has a large metal component, which stays together with the rest of the bey by clipping into the other two layers. I haven't printed any of my designs yet, but I plan to very soon. I've gotten quotes and they can cost anywhere from 50 to a couple hundred dollars, depending on the material used. I'm not sure what material would be best yet, but I plan on consulting with other beytrainers who have printed their own designs to see what works best. It has to be a good mix between hardness and softness, as to not bend, but also not shatter. Also, yes, each layer has to be a separate component. They must be printed separately.

I'm sorry that I'm not an expert on this, but it is a fairly new trend popping up (or at least that's how it seems to me) so some experimentation and failures are bound to occur. Maybe we could chat more in private messages to talk about it?

Sounds good. It's great that you've got some experience with this..as for PMs, sure :Smile

I don't have any major questions atm, but I'll certainly PM if I have any on mind.

i'm going to be on a flight at around 5:40 in my current Time Zone, so I may not respond to anything for a while after that time.