Metro Detroit, Michigan

Any of y’all wanna get together and play somewhere in metro Detroit?
Me and @[chaossilvr] are in the area. Doing a search, it looks like some other Michigan bladers posted a couple months back that I missed.

Hey, @[RobertWC2000], @[Left geeks], @[ShadonianBlader], and @[Flashc 300], would you be interested in tournaments in the Metro Detroit area? If we can get at least 4 people, one of us can become an organizer and start making it happen.
I could probably get a few friends from my school to join in as well Frostic Fox , I got a few friends interested already so I’ll tell them to join WBO and we can make this legit
I'm absolutely interested. I'm located out of Troy but spend a lot of time in Clinton Township/Macomb as well.

I've been thinking for a while about a good place to do it. There's a couple spots near me that we could look into but I've been wondering if we find something in like the Madison Heights area or somewhere closer to Detroit so in the case of an actual tournament getting set up and getting a following it isn't too far from people in Canada to come over because it seems like there's a much larger fanbase over there.
We’ve got 5 so far including my friends, sweet

When y’all wanna do this?
My work schedule is M-F 9am-6pm and Sat 10am-2pm.

With enough notice, I can make anything work though.
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:11 PM)chaossilvr Wrote: I'm absolutely interested.  I'm located out of Troy but spend a lot of time in Clinton Township/Macomb as well.  

I've been thinking for a while about a good place to do it.  There's a couple spots near me that we could look into but I've been wondering if we find something in like the Madison Heights area or somewhere closer to Detroit so in the case of an actual tournament getting set up and getting a following it isn't too far from people in Canada to come over because it seems like there's a much larger fanbase over there.

Yeah, sorting out the place to do it is important.

If we wanted to do anything before May, we may want to consider finding somewhere indoors. Find something that works for us for now, and we can worry about the Toronto folks later. In the warmer weather, we could probably do it outside in a park in the suburbs.
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:27 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:11 PM)chaossilvr Wrote: I'm absolutely interested.  I'm located out of Troy but spend a lot of time in Clinton Township/Macomb as well.  

I've been thinking for a while about a good place to do it.  There's a couple spots near me that we could look into but I've been wondering if we find something in like the Madison Heights area or somewhere closer to Detroit so in the case of an actual tournament getting set up and getting a following it isn't too far from people in Canada to come over because it seems like there's a much larger fanbase over there.

Yeah, sorting out the place to do it is important.

If we wanted to do anything before May, we may want to consider finding somewhere indoors. Find something that works for us for now, and we can worry about the Toronto folks later. In the warmer weather, we could probably do it outside in a park in the suburbs.

Good call.  I've never attended an actual tournament or anything yet so I'm not sure how they're typically run.  Would something like an indoor community center be ideal or is it more like what space with a roof can one of us provide?  Or even like a local college campus or something?
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:30 PM)chaossilvr Wrote:
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:27 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Yeah, sorting out the place to do it is important.

Good call.  I've never attended an actual tournament or anything yet so I'm not sure how they're typically run.  Would something like an indoor community center be ideal or is it more like what space with a roof can one of us provide?  Or even like a local college campus or something?

There are some good gaming places in metro Detroit where people play card games all the time, we could probably find somewhere like that
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:33 PM)CAP7A1N Wrote:
(Jan. 17, 2019  9:30 PM)chaossilvr Wrote: Good call.  I've never attended an actual tournament or anything yet so I'm not sure how they're typically run.  Would something like an indoor community center be ideal or is it more like what space with a roof can one of us provide?  Or even like a local college campus or something?

There are some good gaming places in metro Detroit where people play card games all the time, we could probably find somewhere like that

I'm clearly a lot less thoughtful into these ideas as you all are haha.

You're right, I can think a few comic/game shops in the local area that have a big area that is usually not fully utilized.  Places like Guild of Blades, Gamers Gauntlet, Endeaver, etc.  Maybe we should look into those then!
Yeah we could ask around and see if we could do something somewhere.

We want to do this in February or May?
Yeah, a shop, community center, place in a college campus, that's all good. If there's not a lot of us, we'll only be there maybe 2 hours. So long as it's cool for us to use it.

We'll want a roof and some heat, and preferably wi-fi (though not a total deal breaker without, so long as we can get cell service for data). If we've got at least 5 now, maybe estimate a dozen in case a few more people plus parents show up. Gotta keep any people count limits in mind, as we don't want to irritate the people who let us use the space. They have their fire codes and whatnot as well.

I'm closer to Dearborn, so SW of Detroit. I have stadiums we can use, just need to know where I'm going. See if I can sort out a ride or if bus/Uber/Lyft wouldn't be too bad.

(Jan. 17, 2019  9:36 PM)CAP7A1N Wrote: We want to do this in February or May?

We could do it in February if we want to, so long as we sort out the time and space/place. It takes time for an organizer's quiz to get graded and all, but no reason to let that stop us from sorting it out. It'd just end up unofficial if the status hasn't been granted yet, which is no big deal. The ones under 8 people are unranked anyway.
(Jan. 17, 2019  10:08 PM)Yeah Frostic Fox Wrote: Yeah, a shop, community center, place in a college campus, that's all good. If there's not a lot of us, we'll only be there maybe 2 hours. So long as it's cool for us to use it.

We'll want a roof and some heat, and preferably wi-fi (though not a total deal breaker without, so long as we can get cell service for data). If we've got at least 5 now, maybe estimate a dozen in case a few more people plus parents show up. Gotta keep any people count limits in mind, as we don't want to irritate the people who let us use the space. They have their fire codes and whatnot as well.

I'm closer to Dearborn, so SW of Detroit. I have stadiums we can use, just need to know where I'm going. See if I can sort out a ride or if bus/Uber/Lyft wouldn't be too bad.

(Jan. 17, 2019  9:36 PM)CAP7A1N Wrote: We want to do this in February or May?

We could do it in February if we want to, so long as we sort out the time and space/place. It takes time for an organizer's quiz to get graded and all, but no reason to let that stop us from sorting it out. It'd just end up unofficial if the status hasn't been granted yet, which is no big deal. The ones under 8 people are unranked anyway.

I’ve been doing some research and I found a place in Westland, I contacted them asking if we could do this and I’m waiting for a reply.

It’s called Next Gaming Lounge in case you wanted to look it up.

We wanna try to get more people?
(Jan. 17, 2019  10:10 PM)CAP7A1N Wrote: We wanna try to get more people?

Sure, if you know some folks, feel free to ask and build up the number. And then the people I tagged will be emailed, so if they'd be interested, they can still join.

Once we have a date, time, and place--and at least 4 WBO users saying they'll show up--one of us can become an organizer. As it says here for what you need for the organizer's quiz:

Quote:Step 2: Gathered at least four confirmed participants (Club Format), or eight confirmed participants for a full tournament with the confirmation of each member posted on the WBO. You must also provide the plans for your first event when you take the quiz.

So someone will have to be the person to apply to be the organizer. I'm up for doing it, but I also know chaossilvr was talking about wanting to set up tournaments at different anime conventions, so I'd like them to have the shot if that's something they want to do. Help spread the goodness around.

Once we have an official organizer, the tournaments can be listed on the site (like you see in the sidebar and all).
I’m up for trying to be the organizer, I’ll research all the steps so I do it properly.

I’ll be completely out of town at Katsucon the weekend of Feb 15-17 but other than that I should be good that month as long as I have notice.
(Jan. 18, 2019  5:46 AM)chaossilvr Wrote: I’m up for trying to be the organizer, I’ll research all the steps so I do it properly.

Cool! Others can become organizers later if wanted, but since we have 0 in our area, the first one will get some priority so it goes through faster.

I think you need to get up to 50 posts first, if I remember right? Then under the "WBO Beyblade Tournaments" forum will appear a "Become an Organizer" link. (You're at 20, so just 30 more. Could shoot for 5 posts a day and be done within a week, or 3 and be done in 10 days. Jumping in the upcoming bey threads with your thoughts may be a good place to start.)

For the quiz, you'll want to look in the rules for the organizer's guide. Probably go over the Burst rules, too, in case that helps give a fuller picture on some of the requirements.

(Jan. 18, 2019  5:46 AM)chaossilvr Wrote: I’ll be completely out of town at Katsucon the weekend of Feb 15-17 but other than that I should be good that month as long as I have notice.

Well, if you're going to be the organizer, it's gotta especially be when it works for you, haha. It's good to try to be as fair to others as possible, but if you're putting in the effort to handle the organizer details, don't do what's inconvenient for you.

I think it'd be good to shoot for the weekend after that. I know it can be a lot getting ready for a con, so doing it after it's done and out of the way would be good. And then that gives some time to get the location sorted out and the quiz done.
(Jan. 18, 2019  6:46 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jan. 18, 2019  5:46 AM)chaossilvr Wrote: I’m up for trying to be the organizer, I’ll research all the steps so I do it properly.

Cool! Others can become organizers later if wanted, but since we have 0 in our area, the first one will get some priority so it goes through faster.

I think you need to get up to 50 posts first, if I remember right? Then under the "WBO Beyblade Tournaments" forum will appear a "Become an Organizer" link. (You're at 20, so just 30 more. Could shoot for 5 posts a day and be done within a week, or 3 and be done in 10 days. Jumping in the upcoming bey threads with your thoughts may be a good place to start.)

For the quiz, you'll want to look in the rules for the organizer's guide. Probably go over the Burst rules, too, in case that helps give a fuller picture on some of the requirements.

(Jan. 18, 2019  5:46 AM)chaossilvr Wrote: I’ll be completely out of town at Katsucon the weekend of Feb 15-17 but other than that I should be good that month as long as I have notice.

Well, if you're going to be the organizer, it's gotta especially be when it works for you, haha. It's good to try to be as fair to others as possible, but if you're putting in the effort to handle the organizer details, don't do what's inconvenient for you.

I think it'd be good to shoot for the weekend after that. I know it can be a lot getting ready for a con, so doing it after it's done and out of the way would be good. And then that gives some time to get the location sorted out and the quiz done.

Sweet, I’ll talk to my friends and yeah chaossilvr, go for it

How about the first weekend of February mid day

Like at 3:00 ish

We want to do the "Back to the Classics" rule set?

(Jan. 13, 2019  4:13 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: Hey guys!

Over the past few months, a number of us within the Organized Play team have been working on two new formats behind-the-scenes. Today, we're happy to share one of these Formats; a format dedicated to old Single & Dual Layer System parts which can no longer fit in the metagame, Burst Classic.

This format is now available for Organizers to host unranked experimental events for, in order to provide development feedback to help perfect the ruleset.

(Forgive me, I've already written this thread once today and lost the whole thing, so I'm trying to keep the text relatively brief...  Crying )

Explanation

Due to the large power-creep caused by God and Cho-Z releases, Single and Dual Layer releases have lost their place within any format the WBO offers. The large weight difference and aggressive design differences mean that these releases simply cannot compete at all, and usually get ragdolled. So we're trying to give them a place that they can be used without fear and thrive freely.

Many players have these Layers laying around somewhere completely unusable. These are sometimes available in recent TT products, and are definitely still being made available in Hasbro's Twin Pack range, but are immediately set to one side because it's not useful to them. This is set to make full use of these.

Same applies to Disks, which we're also scaling back to let some pre-Core Disk stuff take rise again; Knuckle, Heavy, Gravity, Spread, Polish etc will see full use with Core Disks being banned, and Frames being unusable as a result.

But this won't just simply be a predictable repeat of the pre-God meta; all Single and Dual Layers now have equivalent Hasbro releases, most of which perform completely differently to their originals, which spices up the metagame and makes the players think very heavily about matchups, as dozens of Layers become very viable in this format and Hasbro parts can be a huge unknown area to many players. Combined with being able to use newer Drivers like Eternal, Hunter and even The Plunger™ Quest, we're expecting that players will almost always be kept on their feet and that these could potentially even make many of the less-popular Single Layers more viable as well.

But this ruleset isn't perfect yet, and we need the help of you guys to help perfect it. We're looking for experimental tournaments to be hosted using this ruleset to provide us with some competitive event data to base decisions on, as well as feedback and discussion on what the community thinks about the rules in place.

So what are you waiting for? Come help us make the best ruleset we can for Burst Classic!

Rule Overview

Rules
  • 1 point OS / 1 point Burst / 2 point KO
  • All official Burst launchers, grips and accessories may be used, including those released post-Dual Layer System.
  • All battles must take place in the TT Burst Standard BeyStadium.
  • During the Experimental testing period, all events using this format will be unranked.
Layer Bans
  • Dark Deathscyther (TT Only)
  • Jormuntor J2 (Hasbro only)
  • Lost Longinus/Luinor L2
  • All God/Evolution releases with the exception of:
    • Cognite C3 (Hasbro only)
    • God Valkyrie/Genesis Valtryek V3/Strike Valtryek V3
    • Guardian Kerbeus (TT only)
    • Killer Deathscyther/Doomscizor D3
    • Kreis Satan/ Satomb S3
    • Shelter Regulus/Regulus R3
  • All Cho-Z Layers
  • All Turbo Layers
Disk Bans
  • All Core Disks (e.g: 1, 4, 7, 10, Aero' etc)
  • Outer
  • Zenith
Driver Bans
  • All Dash & Plus Drivers, except Xtreme' and Hunter'
  • Bearing (Hasbro only)
  • Atomic

Change Log
  • 13/01/19 - Initial Revision.
  • 13/01/19 - Luinor L2 added to the banlist.
  • 13/01/19 - Clarification on Valtryek V3 added.

Event Archive
The first weekend could also work for me, but no pressure to chaossilvr to rush themselves if that's too soon. We can just do an unofficial one then and plot for a later one for the quiz. Have to decide Saturday or Sunday though, and we still need to hear back from a location that will work.

I only have a few Dual Layers, so I'm not sure I could really participate in a Burst Classic event. (I started just before Cho-Z came out.) I have no problem with sitting out for something like that though so others can enjoy it, just need to have enough people for it.
Yeah I don't have any double layers either but ban the god beys
(Jan. 17, 2019  8:50 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Me and @[chaossilvr] are in the area. Doing a search, it looks like some other Michigan bladers posted a couple months back that I missed.

Hey, @[RobertWC2000], @[Left geeks], @[ShadonianBlader], and @[Flashc 300], would you be interested in tournaments in the Metro Detroit area? If we can get at least 4 people, one of us can become an organizer and start making it happen.

Hi. Thanks for the tag. I am up for it. I would need to know when and where. Do I have to be a certain age? I am 13 but my mom can take me to the tournament. Will I need to show up days in a row or random days? Just let me know. I am in.
(Jan. 18, 2019  10:03 PM)Left geeks Wrote:
(Jan. 17, 2019  8:50 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Me and @[chaossilvr] are in the area. Doing a search, it looks like some other Michigan bladers posted a couple months back that I missed.

Hi. Thanks for the tag. I am up for it. I would need to know when and where. Do I have to be a certain age? I am 13 but my mom can take me to the tournament. Will I need to show up days in a row or random days? Just let me know. I am in.

It’ll be one day and there isn’t an age restriction as far as I’m aware of cuz I’m 16 and you need to be 13 for organizer so there probably isn’t even a minimum age

So does Next Gaming Lounge sound good to y’all? On the 3rd at 3:00?
If the Next Game Lounge is available and good with everyone then it's fine with me.

The first weekend of February should be fine with me. I'd prefer to do it on a Sunday but I could easily make Saturday work.

I'm still available to be an Organizer but it'll be difficult with the cosplay work and stuff with my job I have going on. With the timing of this event, it would be ok if it's unofficial or someone else would want to be the organizer if possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience Unhappy

I also don't have many dual layers, I got started right after the release of Nightmare Longinus. I do, however, have some plastic gen and HMS in case people want to mess around with those.

I also have a TT Burst Stadium I can supply and I have lots of foam squares laying around to put under the stadium I can offer.
(Jan. 19, 2019  2:52 AM)Ahhh chaossilvr Wrote: If the Next Game Lounge is available and good with everyone then it's fine with me.

The first weekend of February should be fine with me.  I'd prefer to do it on a Sunday but I could easily make Saturday work.

I'm still available to be an Organizer but it'll be difficult with the cosplay work and stuff with my job I have going on.  With the timing of this event, it would be ok if it's unofficial or someone else would want to be the organizer if possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience Unhappy

I also don't have many dual layers, I got started right after the release of Nightmare Longinus.  I do, however, have some plastic gen and HMS in case people want to mess around with those.

I also have a TT Burst Stadium I can supply and I have lots of foam squares laying around to put under the stadium I can offer.
Alr, how about you fox? Can you apply to be organizer?

And we can just do normal burst rule set
I'm fine with being an organizer, but do we have our location sorted yet? Have we heard back from Next Gaming Lounge? Let's make sure we have a location first, and if that weekend is clear for their own schedule. (Or if not, what weekends they have open days on.)

Let's worry about finding our roof and heat first. All the other details are secondary.

It takes time to pass the organizer's quiz, so it might end up being too short of notice all the same. The organizer and date/time stuff will fall into place after we sort out the location.

(Jan. 18, 2019  10:03 PM)Left geeks Wrote: Hi. Thanks for the tag. I am up for it. I would need to know when and where. Do I have to be a certain age? I am 13 but my mom can take me to the tournament. Will I need to show up days in a row or random days? Just let me know. I am in.

Hi, Left geeks! When and where is what we're talking about now. We're thinking of a game shop in Westland (Next Gaming Lounge) on the first weekend of February? We're still sorting it out though, so it's not a 100% sure thing just yet.

13 is fine, there are no age limits for the WBO. Some of us are adults even.
(Jan. 19, 2019  4:44 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I'm fine with being an organizer, but do we have our location sorted yet? Have we heard back from Next Gaming Lounge? Let's make sure we have a location first, and if that weekend is clear for their own schedule. (Or if not, what weekends they have open days on.)

Let's worry about finding our roof and heat first. All the other details are secondary.

It takes time to pass the organizer's quiz, so it might end up being too short of notice all the same. The organizer and date/time stuff will fall into place after we sort out the location.

(Jan. 18, 2019  10:03 PM)Left geeks Wrote: Hi. Thanks for the tag. I am up for it. I would need to know when and where. Do I have to be a certain age? I am 13 but my mom can take me to the tournament. Will I need to show up days in a row or random days? Just let me know. I am in.

Hi, Left geeks! When and where is what we're talking about now. We're thinking of a game shop in Westland (Next Gaming Lounge) on the first weekend of February? We're still sorting it out though, so it's not a 100% sure thing just yet.

13 is fine, there are no age limits for the WBO. Some of us are adults even.

Yeah I emailed the place again telling them the time and date so I’m waiting for an ok

Would the 2nd be ok instead? They’re closed on 3rd (Sunday)

Can y’all confirm that’s a good date?