Melbourne card store hosting Beyblade events

So I've been in touch with Neko Cards, a trading card game store in Melbourne, over hosting some Beyblade events after some of their regulars (including myself) played a few games several times in the store and then them asking for some interest over Facebook. Since I'm the only regular there with any tournament experience at all I am assisting with hosting and rulings. Figured I should post about it here as the first event is planned for the 28th of this month (May for those who won't check the post date in the future cause I know there will be). Now currently there is no plans for WBO affiliation since they simply want to test events for now and of cause it's a store not a group of fans but it's a good starting point. 

Oh and it will be Burst focused due to new players being the focus not old, and there may be use of a Hasbro stadium in this first event.
Are they open to being affiliated with the World Beyblade Organization at all though? Did you discuss that with them?
(May. 15, 2017  2:29 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Are they open to being affiliated with the World Beyblade Organization at all though? Did you discuss that with them?

I have, they want to make sure it's popular enough before they really think about it since that's apparently the sort of thing they would have to discuss as a business, but they seem to be open to the idea if it's big enough to warrant it. I'll make sure to keep updates rolling in from here on.
OK cool. Do all of their other events have a business-like affiliation with an organized group like the World Beyblade Organization?

Usually, in store events happening elsewhere in the world, there has never been any contract or anything: one of our Members just notifies them that they would like to host a tournament on a given date, and participants have to pay a store fee plus our entry fee. No further complications.
(May. 15, 2017  2:48 AM)Kai-V Wrote: OK cool. Do all of their other events have a business-like affiliation with an organized group like the World Beyblade Organization?

Usually, in store events happening elsewhere in the world, there has never been any contract or anything: one of our Members just notifies them that they would like to host a tournament on a given date, and participants have to pay a store fee plus our entry fee. No further complications.

They have affiliations with Bushiroad and Force of Will for their card games as they are the official distributors of their games in our country as well as the official tournament organisers for larger events such as world qualifiers, so I guess they are cautious due to having experience with larger organisations. Also I assume those other events in the world aren't often hosted by the stores themselves but rather just allow players to set up the event in their store with their supervision, though I can't be sure I've never seen one. Myself and a few other have tried to simply host things there before, but if you have been following past posts most that got was small meet ups due to lack of players and organisation, but means the store was open to it, so if they feel they don't want to be associated directly with the WBO, I think they are fine with patrons hosting themselves with the store as a location.

On another note the facebook event just went up. For the sake of internet safety please look up the event by looking for Neko Cards on facebook.
Alright. I am asking all those questions because, even if I am really glad for any Beyblade event that Australia could be holding, as an organisation, we cannot necessarily allow for continued promotion of events that are not hosted under our name at all. Which is why it would be 'doubly' awesome if someone could organise tournaments there for the World Beyblade Organization.
(May. 15, 2017  4:08 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Alright. I am asking all those questions because, even if I am really glad for any Beyblade event that Australia could be holding, as an organisation, we cannot necessarily allow for continued promotion of events that are not hosted under our name at all. Which is why it would be 'doubly' awesome if someone could organise tournaments there for the World Beyblade Organization.

Yep, fair, I thought that would be the case, which is why I didn't want to make a massive deal about it and only use this one thread to be any form of link to events pre-affiliation. Good for setting up affiliation too. If needed to eventually be taken down then thats fair.
(May. 15, 2017  4:08 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Alright. I am asking all those questions because, even if I am really glad for any Beyblade event that Australia could be holding, as an organisation, we cannot necessarily allow for continued promotion of events that are not hosted under our name at all. Which is why it would be 'doubly' awesome if someone could organise tournaments there for the World Beyblade Organization.

Knowing the store owners, if all goes well with the first tournament, they would most likely by interested in expanding themselves in this field and thus affiliating with the WBO to help organise more structured and official tournaments in Melbourne.

edit: Ill also be glad to help with judging and hosting if needed
(May. 21, 2017  6:11 AM)JINX Wrote: edit: Ill also be glad to help with judging and hosting if needed

We may need this lol, seems the turnout is gonna be bigger than expected. I'd have to discuss it on the day, unfortunately. 

OH and if anyone has takara stadiums we may need them, I've got mine and we have another at the store, but if the turnout really is big, would be a large help.
(May. 21, 2017  8:01 AM)Giraton Wrote:
(May. 21, 2017  6:11 AM)JINX Wrote: edit: Ill also be glad to help with judging and hosting if needed

We may need this lol, seems the turnout is gonna be bigger than expected. I'd have to discuss it on the day, unfortunately. 

OH and if anyone has takara stadiums we may need them, I've got mine and we have another at the store, but if the turnout really is big, would be a large help.

Consider talking with the local smash community, I know there's been a tradition of beyblade tournaments as side brackets at events. Dreadtech is your guy if you need a representative of the community as a whole.
Really bummed I won't be there. Good luck kids! Sure nobody will mind if there's a little WBO recruitment on the side. Let us know how it goes.
(May. 26, 2017  12:50 PM)Chait-hei Wrote: Consider talking with the local smash community, I know there's been a tradition of beyblade tournaments as side brackets at events. Dreadtech is your guy if you need a representative of the community as a whole.

This is news to me, I know a few people in the local smash communities and they have never mentioned this (and not like I hide my beyblade love, my facebook is full of it). I'll have to look into it.
(May. 27, 2017  12:19 PM)Giraton Wrote:
(May. 26, 2017  12:50 PM)Chait-hei Wrote: Consider talking with the local smash community, I know there's been a tradition of beyblade tournaments as side brackets at events. Dreadtech is your guy if you need a representative of the community as a whole.

This is news to me, I know a few people in the local smash communities and they have never mentioned this (and not like I hide my beyblade love, my facebook is full of it). I'll have to look into it.

I think it's mainly a sydney thing, but i'm sure there's people who are keen, the community gets around after all.
So the event went EXTREMELY well. Had a full store with 18 contestants not including myself or those who simply watched but could have still played. Ill need more judges next time, I was running around between 3 round robin groups but it was a great tournament. I've yet to properly discuss future events cause I was dead tired at the end of the event but we are almost certainly gonna do more. Now for the task of getting WBO affiliation going.
wow I'm surprised so many people came (and glad), I'm at neko cards often so if you guys need anything in the future I'll be more than happy to help with anything, although I don't currently have any tournament legal stadiums Uncertain, I'm working on that thought haha
Awesome to hear guys Smile Hopefully we can get stuff started in other cities too