MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion (v1.5 - 9/20/16)

Just realized I forgot to update the ban list in the OP with v1.3, so I've gone ahead and done that:

Limited Ban List v1.3, 5/3/15 Wrote:CHANGE LIST
Newly Unbanned
  • BOTTOM: RS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WHEELS
  • All Synchroms (NOTE: Non-Synchromed Zero-G wheels are legal!)
  • All 4D/Hyperblade Metal Wheels EXCEPT Omega and Jade
  • Basalt
  • Hell
  • Gravity
TRACKS
  • BD145
  • SA165
  • E230
  • SP230
BOTTOMS
  • RDF

Quote:NOTE: As of v1.3, RS is now unbanned! After seeing the power of Attack types in a format with only RSF and RB available to Bladers for Defense, it was decided to bring back RS to give them more of a fighting chance. Attack types can actually defeat RS, but it is much more difficult. This is balanced by the fact that unlike RSF and RB which can be used for semi-aggressive Attack types, RS has a singular use for Defense. This means that it is a high-risk, high-reward type of part and should therefore accomplish the goal of curbing the power of Attack types in Limited Format, if only slightly.
I think that the limited format should rather be more of this: It is fine, as long as it can't defeat a beyblade that isn't limited. Sounds silly, but now these days, i'll admit as a blader, many people trying out for the limited format work for beyblades that fit the guidelines, but also are able to defeat beyblades that aren't. there should be that factor as well, because it helps make some harsh realizations about allowed parts to shine on them..

One part I think SHOULD be banned is r2f. Look at it; first off, it's insane, and MANY limited combos have it. Second, it could literally occasionally eject synchromes, and more often 4d combos. I can't do a full-on test because the closest I got to a bb10 is either the ultimate Beyta or my thunder rumbler. If you like, I can try, but i'm not sure how valid the end result would be...

One more thing, to keep the game still balanced, I would still keep the classic rf, since it isn't as aggressive, but still aggressive enough to eject some defense types.

One may argue "then re-ban rs!" Well, it's a defense part, right? Then all that is needed is an excellent stamina type.
@Sionthehedgehog: I know this is two weeks dead from last post but:

Why the R2F suggestion? Unlike RF, R2F and LRF sacrifice stamina for extra speed (just compare brand new rf vs r2f). Removing any attack rubber bottoms could seriously damage attack, and with RS back in the game I fear defense types become nearly impervious to attack once more.

RS caused the downfall of several MWs in the past so it's a bit uneasy on my part. But I don't have the position to argue, and since there are better MWs for attack it's probably for good
Anyone who attended AN and played in MFB BeyBattle Revolution or Team BeyBattle Revolution: what is your opinion on RS after seeing it out in the wild? Here's my stance (from my MFB/Team/HMS BeyBattle Revolution at Anime North 2015 - Weekend Report):

Kei Wrote:What stood out to me up until that point–and what would end up becoming a significant factor in Team BeyBattle Revolution the next day–was LMAO's use of Libra 230RS. I had been wondering who would take advantage of RS's recent unbanning and was interested to see how it would perform. As you might guess, it has some pretty great Defense. Not unbeatable, but when you use it you feel like you have a great chance of winning (as you should using a Defense type). So much so, that he dubbed it the "Brick Wall" haha. It has been this way for a long time now in Limited, but the use of Attack types in this tournament was also notable. In spite of the recent unbanning of RS, they were still omnipresent throughout the weekend. From my perspective, the format in general seemed really balanced.

I don't believe I witnessed Libra 230RS losing to an Attack type, but on several instances it won by a slim margin of 3-2. And playing with MF-H Libra 90RS before the tournaments I recall it being easier to KO in general (but still good, obviously). The difference might have more to do with the fact that low-Track Attack types are more commonly seen than those on even CH120, though. If CH120RF/R2F was more prevalent, maybe Libra 230RS wouldn't have been as dominant.

Kei Wrote:The only item of concern to me right now is Libra after experiencing (and taking advantage of) it's dominance at the Ontario Qualifier, this tournament, and Team BeyBattle Revolution. And don't forget that Dark_Mousy almost exclusively used Libra en route to a 3rd place finish at GRAND BATTLE TOURNAMENT 2 last year. Only recently have I come to realize again how versatile it is as a Defense type, Stamina type with strong defensive properties, and as a Wheel with a slight amount of aggression/recoil to it, allowing you to KO things with some effort (and luck). I've known this for years of course, but for whatever reason I had dismissed this a little bit until recently, only using it for Defense.
I personally felt (after it was used prominently at AN) that it stays unbanned. Sure, it's powerful, but gives Defense the little boost it needed not to be dominated by Attack. Before RS, Attack really could handle many of the Top Tier Defense combos and I feel like RS helps keep Defense just a bit above Attack. It's not like RS is that overpowered, especially since many Stamina bottoms can OS it.

Definitely happy it can be used now.
Glad to hear the unbanning of RS turned out well. Seems like it was certainly a step in the right direction.

As far as Libra goes, I obviously wasn't at AN, but I'm interested that you're concerned about it. It's extremely prevalent in NC as well (it's probably the one of the most used Wheels), but I'm inclined to attribute that mostly to popular trend rather than to versatility. I've never had a problem against it (actually, the biggest reason I won Limited Throwdown was because all my opponents used Libra, and I just used Scythe and Omega the entire time; I had very consistent success). I'm not actually sure I've ever lost to a Libra custom in competition. It's definitely among the best Defense Wheels out there, but Earth, Duo and Scythe generally out-do it as far as Stamina goes (Burn does as well, but the defensive tradeoff arguably makes Libra more reliable in most cases), and it's ability to KO doesn't seem all that impressive (at least, no more impressive than Scythe's).

Seems to me like Scythe can basically do everything Libra can do (probably better, in my personal experience). It's definitely competitive, but I can't really picture it as a serious threat to game balance.

Maybe NC is infected with bad molds of Libra or something, haha.

It is interesting to note that the two primary Wheels keeping it on the down low (or under control, at least, if it's doing considerably better elsewhere) at the moment are Scythe and Omega, which are still under scrutiny as potentially overpowered parts. I guess if Scythe and Omega were ever removed, it could turn out to be an issue.
I don't think of Libra to be an issue. It shows up so often since it's a really great part- but beatable. I think my main and only concern with it would be on RS, but that can generally be countered by Stamina, which was seen at AN.
(Jun. 03, 2015  2:32 AM)Kei Wrote: I don't believe I witnessed Libra 230RS losing to an Attack type, but on several instances it won by a slim margin of 3-2. And playing with MF-H Libra 90RS before the tournaments I recall it being easier to KO in general (but still good, obviously). The difference might have more to do with the fact that low-Track Attack types are more commonly seen than those on even CH120, though. If CH120RF/R2F was more prevalent, maybe Libra 230RS wouldn't have been as dominant.

Both times I used Attack against Libra 230RS (MF-H LLD CH120LRF and MF Omega Horuseus 100RF) I lost 3-2, but at least to me they seemed close, especially with Lightning. 230RS is not only more difficult to KO, but to OS as well (for instance, I'm pretty confident I could have OSed The Sponge had he been using 90 or 85 rather than 230). In my argument for unbanning RS I said that Attack still has about a 50% chance of being able to OS if you Tornado Stalled against it, but it's much more pressure to Tornado Stall using RF in a tournament and you while you can OS 90RS this way it's a lot less likely to happen with 230RS, especially since most Limited Attack types are so short and you won't be getting much Upper Smash.

Kei Wrote:The only item of concern to me right now is Libra after experiencing (and taking advantage of) it's dominance at the Ontario Qualifier, this tournament, and Team BeyBattle Revolution. And don't forget that Dark_Mousy almost exclusively used Libra en route to a 3rd place finish at GRAND BATTLE TOURNAMENT 2 last year. Only recently have I come to realize again how versatile it is as a Defense type, Stamina type with strong defensive properties, and as a Wheel with a slight amount of aggression/recoil to it, allowing you to KO things with some effort (and luck). I've known this for years of course, but for whatever reason I had dismissed this a little bit until recently, only using it for Defense.

I don't really think Libra deserves a ban, most variants are pretty weak to Meteo.
Libra? no, it's not very strong. Heavy? Yeah. But remember it's underside is quite recoily from what th!nk said. It turned out no better than Earth. He also said that if you ever go against it, outspin it or hit it in one of the many bumps or it's underside and knock it out.

It's probably more popular than gamebreaking tbh, probably because it's the only part to ever get banned before F230.
I suck with Attack but can KO Libra R145RSF with Bakushin Horuseus CH120RF. Never tried 230RS, since FWIW sharp tips for tall tracks are a really bad idea.

Oh, I tried Bakushin awhile back for Attack. Hits quite hard and has an overhang, so on 120-130 heights it can KO anything lower bar maybe 85 but it's just a curiosity tbhh.
Libra makes just about everything a bit harder to KO. To out-spin in a mirror match or use left-spin to spin-steal is obviously possible, though. It's definitely beatable in that sense.

Now, I'm kind of happy about RS's unbanning. Obviously, RS defense can still be beaten, but a little while ago, I wasn't sure about how reliable MTDC and HTDC were in comparison to LTDC. Paired with RSF and RB, they can get knocked out quite easily by left-spin and generally Omega. Now with RS, however, it's still possible but a bit harder.

RDF3 Wrote:But remember it's underside is quite recoily from what th!nk said.

It can actually be used to an advantage. Unlike other wheels, it can get that KO that things like Scythe and Duo can't.
It's only a bit harder right? It's not like Libra could suddenly cause Omega to bounce off it anyway, or make combos significantly stronger.

Mitsu: Yep, Libra's underside recoil can be used to KO. Th!nk's MF-H Libra TH170CS says HELLO by knocking Earth _____ GB145RSF out of the BB-10 IIRC.

H/M/L TDC are kinda easy to beat with left-spin, because the one tip that can smack them in the face, RDF, is banned. There's a reason that part is my username- it's my favorite: a defense tip that resists spinsteal [or help it] while being difficult to KO.

Kei: The next we should look into is probably Scythe and Omega, seeing as both are really quite dominant in this field. But remember, don't go overboard with banning or we might end up with Limited Format V2 becoming reality, and I don't want that. The problem is, th!nk iirc advocated banning the offending Metal Wheel than legalising RS if Attack ever becomes overpowered, but IDK if his argument still stands or not. Given he's an advanced member of course.
Even though this is considered old material, I think this list was still worth updating.

Quote:POTENTIALLY BANNABLE

WHEELS
  • Libra
  • Omega
BOTTOMS
  • RSF
  • RB

I had removed Scythe, F230, CF and GCF from the list. At this point in Limited, I think we already know that unlike Zero-G, F230 can easily be knocked out by attack and still generally out spin with an opposite spin stamina combo. Scythe is definitely good, but I'd say not bannable. It has use in Stamina, Defense and Balance, but at the same time are definitely beatable.

I had kept Libra and added Omega, RSF and RB.

Libra has a wide variety of use. It has stamina and from what I've seen, adds a significant amount of defense to track/bottoms setups that don't have much. At Grand Battle Tournament 2, I can remember Leone19's Libra F230CF (which has very little grip to the stadium) being able to win against Kei's MSF-H Samurai Wyvang R145RSF. Because of Libra's weight, it was hard for Samurai Wyvang to KO.

Its recoil-y underside -- as I had mentioned previously -- can be used to an advantage and KO lighter Beyblades. At Team BeyBattle Revolution, 1234beyblade's Meteo L-Drago W145EWD had lost to The Boss's MF Libra W145EWD, solely by KO's. In both of these cases, if it were something like Duo or Earth, Leone19 wouldn't have been able to take hits from Samurai Wyvang and The Boss most likely wouldn't have been able to KO Meteo.

Omega is arguably the best wheel for attack right now. Even with RS, I've still experienced it been capable of beating Defense combos. It has less versatility than Dark Knight LTAC, which can generally out-spin defense if they don't KO, but at the same time, has quite a bit of weight.

One thing about RSF and RB are there versatility. They can be used for Defense, Attack and are sometimes capable of out-spinning depending on the certain combo. Let's take MF-H Libra 90RB, for instance. It can knockout stamina combos and both out-spin and take hits from attack combos. With MF-H Libra 90RS, you can take hits and out-spin attack and even with Libra's recoil, generally not KO stamina. As far as I know of, though, it is really on Libra RB/RSF where it can actually have all that versatility. You'd also definitely have the aggression with the two, but not as much as those of rubber flats. There has been some controversy about them being banned in Toronto, but while I'm still unsure as to whether they'd need to be banned or not, I still figured I'd add them anyways.

[/words]
(Aug. 25, 2015  4:30 PM)Mitsu Wrote: Even though this is considered old material, I think this list was still worth updating.

Quote:POTENTIALLY BANNABLE

WHEELS
  • Libra
  • Omega
BOTTOMS
  • RSF
  • RB

I had removed Scythe, F230, CF and GCF from the list. At this point in Limited, I think we already know that unlike Zero-G, F230 can easily be knocked out by attack and still generally out spin with an opposite spin stamina combo. Scythe is definitely good, but I'd say not bannable. It has use in Stamina, Defense and Balance, but at the same time are definitely beatable.

I had kept Libra and added Omega, RSF and RB.

Libra has a wide variety of use. It has stamina and from what I've seen, adds a significant amount of defense to track/bottoms setups that don't have much. At Grand Battle Tournament 2, I can remember Leone19's Libra F230CF (which has very little grip to the stadium) being able to win against Kei's MSF-H Samurai Wyvang R145RSF. Because of Libra's weight, it was hard for Samurai Wyvang to KO.

Its recoil-y underside -- as I had mentioned previously -- can be used to an advantage and KO lighter Beyblades. At Team BeyBattle Revolution, 1234beyblade's Meteo L-Drago W145EWD had lost to The Boss's MF Libra W145EWD, solely by KO's. In both of these cases, if it were something like Duo or Earth, Leone19 wouldn't have been able to take hits from Samurai Wyvang and The Boss most likely wouldn't have been able to KO Meteo.

Omega is arguably the best wheel for attack right now. Even with RS, I've still experienced it been capable of beating Defense combos. It has less versatility than Dark Knight LTAC, which can generally out-spin defense if they don't KO, but at the same time, has quite a bit of weight.

One thing about RSF and RB are there versatility. They can be used for Defense, Attack and are sometimes capable of out-spinning depending on the certain combo. Let's take MF-H Libra 90RB, for instance. It can knockout stamina combos and both out-spin and take hits from attack combos. With MF-H Libra 90RS, you can take hits and out-spin attack and even with Libra's recoil, generally not KO stamina. As far as I know of, though, it is really on Libra RB/RSF where it can actually have all that versatility. You'd also definitely have the aggression with the two, but not as much as those of rubber flats. There has been some controversy about them being banned in Toronto, but while I'm still unsure as to whether they'd need to be banned or not, I still figured I'd add them anyways.

[/words]
I really do think if you ban Libra we should ban Omega because if you ban one and not the other it might make Attack too strong if Libra is banned and not Omega.

As 1234beyblade said if you ban Omega RSF/RB won't need to be banned anymore. The only problem is Omega RSF/RB.
Libra is just way too versatile, it can be good with pure Stamina or pure Defense, and is quite good with Anti-attack. Like UltimateOrion, if there's to be ban, there should be a ban on both. However, if you ban only RSF and RB it'll leave you with RS as the only pure Defense tip left, which isn't a bad thing. I say ban RSF and RB, they're just a little too good on Omega. Omega will become a pure Attack Bey again, Libra with RS will be a pure Defense/Stamina as it always was.

Also, I'm going to look into testing the 4D Fusion wheel, so far from my tests Fusion's been useless in all aspects except for Stamina, so it's looking like it's not ban worthy.
Well, from everything I've read up on I'd personally be up for banning RSF and RB. If we banned Omega as well, I think attack types will be decreased in play and stamina may dominate if we are considering banning RSF and RB with it. Now that would be pretty boring having a 5 minute round.

My suggestion is ban RSF and RB for now and see how play goes without it and if Omega dominates or not. As for Libra I'm having mixed thoughts. Based on what I have read, Libra seems like it excels in every category, however, I don't think it's very overpowered, especially if RSF and RB go. It seems they are many combos that stand a chance against it.

To sum it all up = ban RSF and RB. Leave Omega and Libra.
I'm still a no for banning Libra. My opinion is yet to change- it's a great versatile part, for sure. But after being at AN for both its Limited events and a bunch of local ones, I don't see any signs for a ban. It's great, again, but it can be countered.

As for RS, it's great for defense, but not much else. Stamina can beat it with ease, alot of the time.
It seems like most of us are in agreement about banning some combination of Omega, Libra, RSF, and RB.

I'm pretty set on banning Omega, RSF, and RB, but my only concern with potentially banning Libra is what that will mean to Defense. Lightning is still insanely powerful and even with RS, I'm afraid that Defense won't be strong enough with Lightning (and Dark Knight, for that matter) still running around since RS does very poorly against opposite spin directions. I'm still kicking around that idea I had a while back of banning all left-spinning Wheels, but I know you guys thought that was crazy.
(Aug. 28, 2015  2:39 AM)Kei Wrote: It seems like most of us are in agreement about banning some combination of Omega, Libra, RSF, and RB.

I'm pretty set on banning Omega, RSF, and RB, but my only concern with potentially banning Libra is what that will mean to Defense. Lightning is still insanely powerful and even with RS, I'm afraid that Defense won't be strong enough with Lightning (and Dark Knight, for that matter) still running around since RS does very poorly against opposite spin directions. I'm still kicking around that idea I had a while back of banning all left-spinning Wheels, but I know you guys thought that was crazy.

Banning Libra would really hurt defense. We have Scythe, too, but not much else.

Banning Left Spin would solve some issue for that matter, but I feel it'd be too much. The beauty of Limited to me is that by bannkng a few select parts, it keeps the game fresh. Trashing the Left spin wheels would limit customization and would really rework the tier list. Limited is meant to make things fair and fun. Banning all Left-spinning parts doesn't seem too fun for me. Tongue_out
(Aug. 28, 2015  2:39 AM)Kei Wrote: It seems like most of us are in agreement about banning some combination of Omega, Libra, RSF, and RB.

You realize banning Libra is literally such a big blow to defense. The meta would be out of control with attack. I don't think of any other wheel that would be decent enough for defense that could actually put up a fight against attack.

Also I don't see the "hype" surrounding RSF and RB attack. I feel they are completely lack luster compared to RF/R2F/LRF based Attack Types. I will try to get some tests up tomorrow, but I won't be using the best of string launchers (if I even find any decent ones left that I have laying around). I don't see the advantage of it what so ever. If someone could do some comparison tests that would be quite nice.

Omega is very debatable imo, I think the argument could go either way. It is heavy, although right spin attack will more than likely take a drastic hit if it's banned. There's not to much good to go to next honestly. A few options such as Pegasus (the Metal Wheel) aren't bad but it is just not nearly as good. Also I think some people like Wyvang but from what I've done it seems really inconsistent.

Also any reason exactly why you want to ban all left spin metal wheels?
Libra is still too versatile, plus we have always known that a metagame that is more Attack-dominated is actually a healthy metagame.
I agree, Libra should not be banned.

The hype surrounding RSF and RB is that it's capable of way too many things. It's able to KO or even OS Libra (not including Libra 85RS). RS seems to be the only tip solely for Defense.

Also, if Omega is banned, Lightning will likely take over as the main Attack wheel. Lightning paired with RSF/RB does some considerable damage as well.
I like Bakushin because of lack of recoil and it's slopes. I think it has the upperhand over Earth and Scythe because of it, but I wouldn't say Libra as there is a pretty significant weight difference. While it may not be the best option for Defense in our metagame, Libra is still very versatile.

RSF and RB are versatile but are still very counterable. I think again, the real only combo where you're going to have all that versatility is Libra RSF/RB. Like, defending isn't actually going to work if you use something like Lightning RB, nor should you be relying on it to outspin. The versatility isn't insane.
(Aug. 28, 2015  3:00 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Libra is still too versatile, plus we have always known that a metagame that is more Attack-dominated is actually a healthy metagame.
Okay tell me what we will use for defense then? Do you want a whole type to be non-existent? Attack dominated meta's aren't always the best personally I feel as close to a triangle meta is best. Attack meta games don't take that much skill honestly. It comes down to who gets in front of the wall.

(Aug. 28, 2015  3:02 AM)LMAO Wrote: I agree, Libra should not be banned.

The hype surrounding RSF and RB is that it's capable of way too many things. It's able to KO or even OS Libra (not including Libra 85RS). RS seems to be the only tip solely for Defense.

Also, if Omega is banned, Lightning will likely take over as the main Attack wheel. Lightning paired with RSF/RB does some considerable damage as well.
Can it OS Libra 230 RS? I honestly think they are inconsistent when you compare KO ratios between it and RF/R2F/LRF based attack types, but you guys probably have used RB/RSF Attack more than I have.

(Aug. 28, 2015  3:05 AM)Mitsu Wrote: I like Bakushin because of lack of recoil and it's slopes. I think it has the upperhand over Earth and Scythe because of it, but I wouldn't say Libra as there is a pretty significant weight difference. While it may not be the best option for Defense in our metagame, Libra is still very versatile.

RSF and RB are versatile but are still very counterable. I think again, the real only combo where you're going to have all that versatility is Libra RSF/RB. Like, defending isn't actually going to work if you use something like Lightning RB, nor should you be relying on it to outspin. The versatility isn't insane.
Libra is versatile yes, but I still don't thinking hitting it would actually benefit the meta. I think it would just cause a rampage of attack types.
I have to agree and say that banning Libra would most likely result in attack types going out of control. With Libra banned defense types take a huge hit, not to metion if RS and RSF get banned, and with the lack of a decent defense wheel in the format attack would easily become the most safe option to use in a competitive event.
[DELETED]

I realised Bakushin 85RB was already a thing, so my comment came off as sheer stupidity, sorry about that.