Limited Format Competitive List Discussion (Initial Draft Under Consideration)

If 145/160 is the magic height for Libra, Libra BGrin should probably be considered as well as W145WD/EWD.
Also just a minor nitpick on Stamina but shouldn't it be written as
Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (W145/85) (WD/EWD)
rather than splitting it off into two? We don't have separate listings for WD and EWD, or any of the Clear Wheels.

Another combo I would really like to see go up there is Burn F230CS (I know you guys are opposed to tall Burn combos and CS in general). I've had a lot of success with it, even during tournaments and when just using a Hasbro Orange F230. I've defeated Lightning L-Drago R145R2F, Libra SR200MB, and Libra T125RSF with it, and it probably should not have won the first two matchups.
(Dec. 06, 2014  3:03 AM)Wombat Wrote: Another combo I would really like to see go up there is Burn F230CS (I know you guys are opposed to tall Burn combos and CS in general). I've had a lot of success with it, even during tournaments and when just using a Hasbro Orange F230. I've defeated Lightning L-Drago R145R2F, Libra SR200MB, and Libra T125RSF with it, and it probably should not have won the first two matchups.

Burn F230CS is a combo that I want to love, but just don't have much good experience with. I used it a little at the last Limited tournament I went to, and even during free play, I didn't do so well. I guess that my Hasbro orange F230 isn't as good as yours or something, because I don't think I managed to win a single round with it. It's a real shame, because I loved Phantom 230CS back during 4D (I even made a T-shirt of it) and I love the concept of a Limited successor. Maybe if I got my hands on a proper Takara orange F230...

(Dec. 06, 2014  1:57 AM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: ... and like 4 Dark Knights (which I hear are somewhat fragile; haven't confirmed that, but just in case I've got plenty of extras) ...

The wear I've seen on my Dark Knight is mostly on the protrusion that goes around the pin on the Chrome Wheel (the part that has the "air" symbol or whatever). That nub is what gives it most of its smash, from what I can tell, and as a result gets pretty well banged up from all those collisions. Mine is practically flattened to a light slope on one side by now, rather than the angular, blocky design it once was. As a result, I have definitely noticed its smash potential going down; it is considerably more difficult to get KOs than when it was mint.

Gah, I wish I had a good way to post pictures...
Here are my thoughts :

- Were things like Samurai Wyvang tested on other Tracks than R145, just to make sure we explored wide and high ?

- Thief Phoenic seemingly got zero tournament use, so is it absolutely awesome in tests ?
(We should really get that submission system working ...)

- Ideally all Metal Fury parts should have be labeled as such, unless we put an asterisk at each and everyone of those Metal Wheels.

- TB does seem like it is used enough to be worth getting added to the top-tier list, but I am OK with waiting for further tests.

For the rest, unless I am forgetting combinations that would need to actually be added, all seems great to me.
(Dec. 06, 2014  3:10 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Here are my thoughts :

- Were things like Samurai Wyvang tested on other Tracks than R145, just to make sure we explored wide and high ?

I believe so. th!nk tested it on GB145 and H145, but R145 proved to be the only Track that could compensate for its inadequate balance (you could ask Kei about that, too, since he's probably the most experienced with Wyvang RSF/RB; IIRC, he used H145 a couple times a while back, but I think he switched to R145 later).

Quote:- Thief Phoenic seemingly got zero tournament use, so is it absolutely awesome in tests ?
(We should really get that submission system working ...)

Oh yeah, it's done great in testing. th!nk really, really liked it, and he got amazing results with it (he got results on par with right-spin Gravity [ATK, Counter], which is impressive considering the fact that, in testing, Gravity usually does slightly better than Pegasis).

Quote:- Ideally all Metal Fury parts should have be labeled as such, unless we put an asterisk at each and everyone of those Metal Wheels.

Agreed. Done.

Quote:- TB does seem like it is used enough to be worth getting added to the top-tier list, but I am OK with waiting for further tests.

Has it been used much before? Are there posts in Winning Combos? If there are, I'd be really interested to see them.

Quote:For the rest, unless I am forgetting combinations that would need to actually be added, all seems great to me.

Great. Smile
Any thoughts on this guys?

Winter Break is almost up; I think we should try to get this posted within the next few days.
Quote:
Attack

Omega
  • MF-H Omega [Assault] (Horuseus/Pegasis III) (85/90/100/CH120) (RF/R2F/LRF)

Pegasis
  • MF-H Pegasis (CH120/R145) (RF/R2F/LRF)

Lightning
  • MF-H Lightning L-Drago [Upper] (85/90/CH120/R145/TR145) (RF/R2F/LRF)

Wyvang
  • MSF-H (Shinobi/Gladiator/Dark Knight) Wyvang [Crystal-Up] R145 (RF/R2F/LRF)
  • MSF-H Samurai Wyvang [Crystal-Up] R145 (RSF/RB)

Phoenic
  • MSF-H Thief Phoenic [Crystal-Up] (R145/H145) (RF/R2F/LRF)

Dark Knight
  • MSF-H Dark Knight (Girago/Gryph) [Crystal-Up] (85/90) (RF/R2F/LRF)

Defense

Earth
  • MF-H Earth (Aquario/Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (85/90/R145/GB145/TH170/230) (RSF/RB)

Libra
  • MF-H Libra (85/90/R145/GB145) (RSF/RB)

Scythe (Metal Fury)
  • MF-H Scythe (Aquario/Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (R145/GB145) (RSF/RB)

Bakushin
  • MF-H Bakushin Leone (85/90) (RSF/RB/RF)

Stamina

Burn
  • Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
  • Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) B:D
  • Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 85 (WD/EWD)

Earth
  • Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
  • Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) B:D
  • Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 85 (WD/EWD)
  • Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)

Scythe (Metal Fury)
  • Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
  • Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) B:D
  • Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)

Duo (Metal Fury)
  • Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
  • Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) B:D
  • Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)
  • Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 230 MB

Meteo
  • Meteo L-Drago (TR145/ED145/CH120) EWD

Balance
  • {MF-H} Libra (TH170/SR200) CS
  • {MF-H} (Scythe/Earth) (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/SR200) CS
  • Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (85/90) MF
  • MF-H Libra (85/CH120) RF
  • MF-H Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) CH120 RF
  • Meteo L-Drago F230 (CF/GCF)
  • (Duo/Scythe) (Cancer/Cygnus/Hades) F230 (CF/GCF)
  • Libra F230 (CF/GCF)

All I've done to this list is add the Dark Knight Attack customs (both of which have been thoroughly tested up to this point - further investigation regarding different Chrome Wheels that could be compatible with the setup is probably something we should tackle later, but multiple users, myself included, have been searching and so far they seem to be the best two for the job).

I've also removed all Cosmic Attack customs. From what I've heard, as far as popular opinion goes, it's been on shaky ground anyway, and with the recent exposure of Kaneki's fake testing, it would appear that I am literally the only user who has formally tested Cosmic on an Attack setup in Limited Format. That said, we definitely need more testing if it's ever going to be added.

I know pretty much every older member on this site (especially the advanced members) have been very busy lately, but I think we should stop and take a few minutes to get this done - it's been over a year since the legalization of the format, and we still have no list. It'll only take a few minutes/hours to get this thing posted.

I personally agree with everything listed. I would be perfectly OK if this thing were to get posted, like, right now.
Besides Thief Phoenic which I am unsure of, the rest looks great. I would be fine with keeping TB out of the list for now; if you want to look at how many times it was used in the Winning Combinations thread, you can search 0TB and 5TB.
I'm on board as far as Stamina, Defense, and Balance go. I'm with Kai-V on Thief Pheonic, though, and I think Screw and Beat could use second looks later. But is H145 really such a bad choice of Track for Pegasis and Lightning?
Thief Phoenic doesn't actually have a lot of formal testing, but th!nk got amazing results with it, and so did Coach. I've done some informal testing with it myself, and it's actually pretty amazing. It's got some unbelievable raw smash, and its balance is actually pretty phenomenal for a Zero-G Attacker. MSF-H Thief Phoenic H145R2F is an incredibly versatile custom; it can pretty much completely shred any Defender at any height, which is very surprising, since the smash of most Zero-G Attackers is limited to a small height range.

In reality, the thing is so good, that I'm seriously debating with myself over whether or not its actually better than Pegasis. That said, I am definitely an advocate of its addition to the list; it's a must-have IMO.

H145 on Pegasis? That sounds kinda weird; also a bit unnecessary, since H145 is used to neutralize shorter opponents, and Pegasis already specializes in that. On Lightning, though, I guess it makes a little more sense, although it still seems kinda weird to think of H145 on a 3-sided Wheel (it is listed with Phoenic, though, so I guess it's a plausible idea - is there any testing at all for it?).

EDIT: Oh, Kai-V, I totally missed what you said about TB, haha.

Personally, my experience with Twin Ball has been pretty negative; I haven't looked at any TB customs in winning combinations, though, so I'll take a look at that and maybe talk to some of the players who used them when I've got the time. I never liked it very much, but It's definitely possible that its working out well for other people.

EDIT#2: OK, so it looks like Time has actually used it several times - UltimateOrion also used Duo 230TB in New York a couple times. I'm seeing some Scythe 230TB as well.

You know, when I did testing with TB, most of it was with Earth; perhaps Scythe and TB have some sort of synergy that I was unaware of. Is there any formal testing with Scythe TB on the site?
No formal testing that I'm aware of on Scythe TB, but I can say it is definitely a potent combo in limited. It also has a strange ability to defeat f230 customs. The two times I have used it against one I have won 3-0.
(Jan. 24, 2015  9:17 PM)Time Wrote: No formal testing that I'm aware of on Scythe TB, but I can say it is definitely a potent combo in limited. It also has a strange ability to defeat f230 customs. The two times I have used it against one I have won 3-0.

You mean like Meteo F230CF? That sounds bizarre.
Yeah, against meteo both times, it's funky, I doubt it would make a difference in testing but I know I've used either Hades or Pegasis II as the clear wheel on the setup rather than cancer. Maybe some sort of weird balancing thing makes it easier for it to do its late game circling? I'm away from my beys again, but if someone knows what I'm talking about and would care to make a video of it I would be much obliged.
What do people think about adding H145 for right-spin Wyvang, as well as making Dark Knight Wyvang exclusively a LTAC? In the early days of Limted Dark Knight Wyvang DF105LRF had a lot of use, I'm assuming because it combined the effectiveness of Dark Knight LTACs with Wyvang's smash to also take out LTDCs and LTSCs.

I have no opinion of Phoenic, since I don't have one and have never even seen it in action. From what I've heard though I don't think it's as strong as Omega though.
We’ve debated this for long enough, I think, so I’ve gone ahead and posted the first “official” list!: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Competit...mat-Combos

However, a few changes/notes:
  • Removed MSF-H Thief Phoenic [Crystal-Up] (R145/H145) (RF/R2F/LRF) from Attack. Haven’t really seen any tests, or tournament success with it. Can someone point me in the direction of th!nk’s tests? We can consider adding it in later, but for now I think it should be excluded.
  • Dark Knight: I have no experience with this myself, but the results I’ve seen have all been positive so I’m fine with including it. My only question is: are Girago and Gryph definitively the best Chrome Wheels to use with it? How is, say, Balro in comparison? I have actually tried Bahamdia briefly on this combo before and didn’t like it, but I seem to remember someone else having success with it.
  • Bakushin for Defense: is Leone really the only viable option? Has it been proven to be better than Aquario, Cygnus, Cancer, and Hades?
  • It would be worth testing Cosmic more; specifically comparing it against Pegasis to see how it actually compares.
  • H145 works on Pegasis and Lightning, and it adds a bit more power/recoil if you like that kind of thing, but I don’t think it needs to be listed. Just because it isn’t on the list doesn’t mean it isn’t usable.
  • Need to see some testing on TB. I generally dislike TB’s balance personally.
  • Added 230 to {MF-H} (Scythe/Earth) (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/SR200/230) CS. Might also be worth adding it to Libra, but on Scythe the extra height can be useful. Because Scythe is so wide, the extra height only helps to increase it’s chance of being able to knock opponents off balance from above. And it doesn’t come with any of the recoil that using TH170 at the 220 height might bring.
  • What do you guys think of adding L Drago Guardian for F230CF/GCF? It's relatively popular in Toronto. Wider attack range and heavier than Meteo.
(Jan. 26, 2015  12:05 AM)Kei Wrote: We’ve debated this for long enough, I think, so I’ve gone ahead and posted the first “official” list!: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Competit...mat-Combos

However, a few changes/notes:
  • Bakushin for Defense: is Leone really the only viable option? Has it been proven to be better than Aquario, Cygnus, Cancer, and Hades?
  • It would be worth testing Cosmic more; specifically comparing it against Pegasis to see how it actually compares.

Leone seems to be the "best" option, as off the top of my head I can't think of any others with its particular shape (almost completely round and slightly sloping upward from the outside to the center). The shape of Leone complements Bakushin kind of like how Upper Attack works on Upper Claw, it makes for an almost continuous slope. I can look through my Clear Wheels and see if anything looks similar but I don't think any standard fare (especially Hades or Aquario) will work as well.

I have a Cosmic, what combos in particular need testing? I remember it being good on TH170 but no one seems to use it on that height anymore...
Kei: Agree with the 230 thing (why wasn't that already listed?)

I believe th!nk did some testing with Bakushin Horogium, and got decent results. As far as I know, though, Leone is supposedly the best CW for the job.

As for Thief Phoenic:

Testing from Coach: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-LTD-MSF-...pid1184554

Testing from th!nk: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MFB-Limi...pid1187502

Testing from yours truly: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MFB-Limi...pid1254331

I seriously think it should be listed at some point.

Either way, it's great to finally have a list posted.
At least personally I actually really prefer Libra (the clear wheel) on Bakushin it lines up perfectly to expose Bakushin's contact points. Although, I guess that is more of an anti-attack than a defense setup.
Libra? Wouldn't that cause some serious recoil problems?

I'm just speculating, based on its shape; now that I think about it, I don't think I actually own it (*GASP*).

Oh, and has anyone else tried Divine for anything? I've actually tested it as an Anti-Attack Wheel on multiple occasions, and it worked really well for me; I never got too far with it, though, so I was really excited when I saw that Sniper had won with it. I think we should look into it more.
Libra is hideously recoily, I'm surprised that you prefer it over Leone.

I own Divine, and experimented with it a little but didn't do a whole lot of testing. If it seems to be doing well I would be happy to chip in some tests.
You can sort of see the way it lines up in this photo that I just compiled (no parts, so no real, but its pretty close)

[Image: Capture_zps280ca2d0.png]

Typically, I'd be against this combo because, at the lower rotational velocities that I'm familiar with launching at, the recoil Libra would add to any Bakushin combo I'd launch would be self-devastating. However, Time launched his particular Bakushin Libra setup with so much power at the last MD tournament that the blocky protrusions of Libra seemed to contribute more to smashing than causing recoil. I've forgotten how many KOs he got with it, though.

I think if you've got the launch strength to make this work, it'll do as some sort of a aggro-defensive Balance type. If not, I'd recommend sticking with a smoother, more passive Clear Wheel (e.g. Leone, Horogium, Kronos, etc. (we need to look into this some more; I'll can try to post some pictures this weekend if anybody has any particular requests)). Libra's a fun CW on Bakushin LTDCs, but I'm not sure it's really a top-tier choice.
Some people have been bringing up Metal Wheels for Attack (Phoenic, Vulcan, Cosmic) that were previously made more or less irrelevant by Omega. I don't have Phoenic and Vulcan is at my house at the moment, but here are some tests with Cosmic in comparison to Pegasis and Dark Knight Wyvang:

Attack vs. LTDC (Click to View)

Attack vs. MTDC (Click to View)

Attack vs. HTDC (Click to View)
Finally did those MTDC and HTDC tests you wanted @[Time]. Also I own a Hasbro Scythe now.
Super late reply to this, but one thing that stood out to @[1234beyblade] and myself after Omega's ban was MSF-H Bandit Phoenic paired with a low Track and a Rubber Bottom. I definitely had played MFB in quite some time, but I recall it reliably and consistently about to knockout Bakushin LTDC.

I'll definitely get some tests up soon. Smile

EDIT: It'd be awesome if we could take this discussion to the public version of this thread. Smile
I posted this in the public discussion, but I'll copy it here so we're more likely to actually get an update done and not forget about it again Tongue_out

It's been far too long since the top-tier list was updated, seriously... Libra and Omega are still on there lol

Here's my proposed revision, assuming Dark Knight is banned and Gravity is unbanned:
(additions are blue and removals are red)

Limited Top Tier List Wrote:
Attack

REMOVED OMEGA

Pegasis

MF-H Pegasis (CH120/R145) (RF/R2F/LRF/RSF/RB)

Lightning

MF-H Lightning L-Drago [Upper] (85/90/CH120/R145/TR145) (RF/R2F/LRF/RSF/RB)

Wyvang
MSF-H (Shinobi/Gladiator) Wyvang [Crystal-Up] R145 (RF/R2F/LRF/RSF/RB) Removed Dark Knight
MSF-H Samurai Wyvang [Crystal-Up] R145 (RSF/RB)

REMOVED DARK KNIGHT

Gravity

MF-H Gravity Perseus (S130/CH120/R145/TR145) (RF/R2F/LRF/RSF/RB)

Vulcan
MF-H Vulcan (Byxis/Pisces/Uranus/Horuseus) (85/90/CH120) (RF/R2F/LRF/RSF/RB)

Defense

Earth
MF-H Earth (Aquario/Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (85/90/R145/GB145/TH170/230) (RSF/RB)

REMOVED LIBRA

Scythe (Metal Fury)
MF-H Scythe (Aquario/Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (R145/GB145) (RSF/RB)

Bakushin
MF-H Bakushin Leone (85/90) (RSF/RB) Removed RF

Jade (4D / Hyperblades?)
MF-H Jade (Pisces/Horogium/Cygnus/Uranus) (85/90) (RSF/RB)

Stamina

Burn
Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) BGrin
Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 85 (WD/EWD)

Earth
Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) BGrin
Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 85 (WD/EWD)
Earth (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)

Scythe (Metal Fury)
Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) BGrin
Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)

Duo (Metal Fury)
Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) W145 (WD/EWD)
Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) BGrin
Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/230) (D/SD)
Duo (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) 230 MB

Meteo
Meteo L-Drago (TR145/ED145/CH120/S130) (EWD/CF/GCF/GF)

Balance

{MF-H} (Scythe/Earth) (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (TH170/SR200/230) CS
Burn (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) (85/90) MF
MF-H Scythe (Cygnus/Cancer/Hades) CH120 RF
Meteo L-Drago F230 (CF/GCF)
(Duo/Scythe) (Cancer/Cygnus/Hades) F230 (CF/GCF)
Gravity Perseus F230 (CF/GCF)
Gravity Perseus (S130/CH120/TR145/ED145) (CF/GCF/GF)

Vulcan Attack, Jade Defense, and RSF/RB Attack are definitely good enough to be top-tier, IMO (with Jade being the strongest candidate; from my experience it's stronger than any other defensive option out there by a wide margin). Also for consideration in the absence of Dark Knight are Quetzalcoatl, Cosmic, and possibly Screw and Jade (again) for Attack.