Knives

I finally got some pictures of my knife. This is My Ka-bar USMC Fighting/Utility Knife. She doesnt look this pretty anymore because I used her for some work,(wood cutting, ect..) but that's why I got this blade in the first place.
[Image: my_ka_bar_usmc_fighting_knife_by_kisame_...3i9vmj.jpg]
This is my Ka-bar in its sheath.
[Image: ka_bar_usmc_fighting_knife_3_by_kisame_t...3i9vw5.jpg]
and next to my cell phone to show the blade length.
[Image: my_ka_bar_by_kisame_thresher-d3i9vdv.jpg]
This isn't a knife but it is pretty sweet.
[Image: nero_red_queen_replica_by_kisame_thresher-d3i9w3y.jpg]
Its my replica of Red Queen from DMC 4. its about as thick as my Ka-Bar and pretty sturdy so It may be 1040 steel. I'm not sure though.
(Jun. 07, 2011  3:01 PM)Thresher Wrote: I finally got some pictures of my knife. This is My Ka-bar USMC Fighting/Utility Knife. She doesnt look this pretty anymore because I used her for some work,(wood cutting, ect..) but that's why I got this blade in the first place.
[Image: my_ka_bar_usmc_fighting_knife_by_kisame_...3i9vmj.jpg]
This is my Ka-bar in its sheath.
[Image: ka_bar_usmc_fighting_knife_3_by_kisame_t...3i9vw5.jpg]
and next to my cell phone to show the blade length.
[Image: my_ka_bar_by_kisame_thresher-d3i9vdv.jpg]
This isn't a knife but it is pretty sweet.
[Image: nero_red_queen_replica_by_kisame_thresher-d3i9w3y.jpg]
Its my replica of Red Queen from DMC 4. its about as thick as my Ka-Bar and pretty sturdy so It may be 1040 steel. I'm not sure though.

Kabar's are meant to be used! They look better with wear on the coating. Smile

As for that sword, sweet prop. But odds are if it's a replica it would be made of a stainless. Probably 400 series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipWiYRWJN...ideo_title

Partied with my university friends on the 24th as an early birthday thing.

But on the 25th a bunch of collectors were to a G2G. They got me a surprise cake. Cake knives are lame. Go big or go home Tongue_out
Khel you have BEAUTIFUL knives.

(also are multitools/swiss army knives relevant to this discussion or..?)
(Jul. 12, 2011  3:29 AM)bugturtles Wrote: Khel you have BEAUTIFUL knives.

(also are multitools/swiss army knives relevant to this discussion or..?)

Thanks! I've put a lot of time into building my collection Smile That rotation is probably at $1300 right now. Biggest culprit is that Kirby Lambert recurve. It's a one of a kind custom.

Also multitools and SAK's are TOTALLY relevant. I started on swiss army and still always have a victorinox classic on my keys. It is my most carried pocket knife.

Fun fact my youtube channel name is victorinoxfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvG0FZDgsmM

My most recent collection video

EDIT: In fact I'd love to get a leatherman one day.
can't believe i forgot about this thread

I'm looking for both a multitool and knife that won't break the bank for a starter tool/knife.

I would like a multitool that can use an array of bits (different sized Phillips screwdrivers, flatheads, hex keys/Allen wrenches), maybe with something like pliers (regular or needle nose; heck, both!) and wire cutters. Not sure if this is asking too much though!

Knife-wise; just something that can cut reliably when outdoors hiking, in the woods, or cut things like rope, paracord, etc. Of course, good looks are great too Wink

Straight blade or serrated? Or partially serrated?

Both will probably end up in my go-bag stuck in the back of my car or whenever I go on outdoor trips.
OK when it comes to multitools there are a lot of options. If multiple bits are required you might need to go into the higher end leathermans like the Charge or the Charge TTI. They are not the cheapest but they work very well.

If you can concede on that you can save a few bucks by looking at Leatherman Wave or Swisstool Spirit X.

As for a knife personally I prefer plain edge with a more utilitarian blade shape since I can sharpen them easily. They also cut things like wood better. Also if you go with any of the leathermans I recommended I believe they all have a serrated blade.

Some options vary in terms of price. But if you are going budget some options are
3.5 inch range
-Spyderco Tenacious
-Ontario Rat 1

If you want to spend a tad more you can look at
-Spyderco Endura
-Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (one of my absolute favourites)
-Benchmade griptillian series
-And a plethora of others really lol it's easier with an actual budget to narrow down.

Hope that helps a bit. I've given you the models that I consider heavy hitters right now on the market. Lots of usage time by others and they all have very positive reviews
Ha, I thought that some multitools hit like $300, so I'm kind of surprised at the TTI's price. Will probably pick one up eventually.

Watched a "in action" video of the Paramilitary 2. That thing is godly sharp!

Have you heard about Zero Tolerance 0400 Tanto knives? Some of them have a spring-assist (named "Speed-Safe") and they are in the low $100 price range. Some tactical-geardos swear by Zero Tolerance, but I'm not so sure about the knife community. To make matters more confusing, laws here are pretty vague about the difference between assisted opening and switchblade, and assisted opening falls under the grey area.
I'm currently looking for a nice Khukri, any suggestions? Cold Steel keeps coming up in searches, so is Ka-bar. I'm looking for a good price to functionality ratio.
(Jul. 17, 2011  5:56 PM)bugturtles Wrote: Ha, I thought that some multitools hit like $300, so I'm kind of surprised at the TTI's price. Will probably pick one up eventually.

Watched a "in action" video of the Paramilitary 2. That thing is godly sharp!

Have you heard about Zero Tolerance 0400 Tanto knives? Some of them have a spring-assist (named "Speed-Safe") and they are in the low $100 price range. Some tactical-geardos swear by Zero Tolerance, but I'm not so sure about the knife community. To make matters more confusing, laws here are pretty vague about the difference between assisted opening and switchblade, and assisted opening falls under the grey area.

There are some super specialized multitools that might, but since they are so gun specific usually they don't really fit the need for 99% of people. The Charge TTI is a good compact model with a lot of capability.

I'm well aware of ZT. They are the hard use line of Kershaw, all US made. It's a good knife but for outdoor use I'd suggest something different. Personally while americanized tanto blades look bad carp they pose two problems for me

1) Not a ton of belly
2) harder to sharpen since it is a) a tanto blade so two seperate areas to sharpen and b) recurved, which always adds an extra challenge while sharpening

Their main design is for thrusting/stabbing, an activity I think you won't be doing much of in the outdoors. a more traditional drop point/clip point blade is easier to maintain imo.

As for assisted opening, Kershaw was essentially the pioneer in it, so the ZT line has good AO (I've played with a few models). Since Canadian laws are a little vague as to carry options I never go assisted since our laws are based heavily on situation circumstances and image. In other words if you have a big large AO tactical folder and they asked me as to why I have it, I better have a damn good reason to do so.

I also avoid AO because it's an extra spring. And extra point of failure. But that's just me. I'm a fan of the Para 2. It's a lean slicing machine which is what my folder needs to do most of the time. It's not a prybar, but it definitely is sturdy.

Hope that helps
(Jul. 17, 2011  11:59 PM)Thresher Wrote: I'm currently looking for a nice Khukri, any suggestions? Cold Steel keeps coming up in searches, so is Ka-bar. I'm looking for a good price to functionality ratio.

If you are looking for an american branded (different from American made) khukri then Cold Steel does a decent job.

If you want the real deal, check out Himalayan Imports on Bladeforums. They literally import their khukris from Nepal. They are all hand forged and made to fit the larger North American hands.

Another Nepalese khukri shop is http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/
I hear their stuff is good as well. Also hand forged in Nepal
Dude, you're awesome lmao.

Guess I'll go with the Para 2 since it actually meets the things I'll do with it. I saw that one video and fell in love. Seemed like it cuts through everything you could think of, like magic.
(Jul. 19, 2011  1:41 PM)bugturtles Wrote: Dude, you're awesome lmao.

Guess I'll go with the Para 2 since it actually meets the things I'll do with it. I saw that one video and fell in love. Seemed like it cuts through everything you could think of, like magic.

Good choice! Glad I could help

Speaking of the Para 2 I just sharpened mine up again on my Japanese waterstones. Only second time using them. I think I did a decent job Tongue_out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WDNiQmGbA
I'm looking to purchase a knife and wanted to get some info. I'll need it mostly for fishing so I want something that won't rust, foldable preferably, fits in my hand and pocket comfortably, not serrated and sits on or under the $100 price range.
(Jul. 18, 2011  1:28 PM)Khel Wrote:
(Jul. 17, 2011  11:59 PM)Thresher Wrote: I'm currently looking for a nice Khukri, any suggestions? Cold Steel keeps coming up in searches, so is Ka-bar. I'm looking for a good price to functionality ratio.

If you are looking for an american branded (different from American made) khukri then Cold Steel does a decent job.

If you want the real deal, check out Himalayan Imports on Bladeforums. They literally import their khukris from Nepal. They are all hand forged and made to fit the larger North American hands.

Another Nepalese khukri shop is http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/
I hear their stuff is good as well. Also hand forged in Nepal

Thanks man! I'll probably buy both kinds when I get my first paycheck out of Boot Camp.
(Jul. 20, 2011  3:18 AM)Robsta Wrote: I'm looking to purchase a knife and wanted to get some info. I'll need it mostly for fishing so I want something that won't rust, foldable preferably, fits in my hand and pocket comfortably, not serrated and sits on or under the $100 price range.

Does it have to fold? Generally speaking fishing is a messy job and it can gunk up a lot of folders. Most stainless steels can still rust so you need to be very diligent in cleaning them after such activity. However if you are interested in folders still I would look at the Spyderco Salt line. Stuff like the Pacific Salt etc. They are made of H1 Steel. Probably the most corrosion resistant steel that is still capable of taking an edge.
(Jul. 21, 2011  2:06 AM)Khel Wrote:
(Jul. 20, 2011  3:18 AM)Robsta Wrote: I'm looking to purchase a knife and wanted to get some info. I'll need it mostly for fishing so I want something that won't rust, foldable preferably, fits in my hand and pocket comfortably, not serrated and sits on or under the $100 price range.

Does it have to fold? Generally speaking fishing is a messy job and it can gunk up a lot of folders. Most stainless steels can still rust so you need to be very diligent in cleaning them after such activity. However if you are interested in folders still I would look at the Spyderco Salt line. Stuff like the Pacific Salt etc. They are made of H1 Steel. Probably the most corrosion resistant steel that is still capable of taking an edge.
Ok thanks, it won't be used exculsively for fishing but that's the enviroment it will get the most use in.

EDIT: Decided I didn't want to risk ruining an expensive knife fishing and bought a Spyderco Delica4 C11PBK. Really happy with my choice, it was out of this or an ak-47/Recon but I managed to snag the Spyderco Delica4 C11PBK for $50!
(Jul. 21, 2011  6:29 AM)Robsta Wrote:
(Jul. 21, 2011  2:06 AM)Khel Wrote:

Ok thanks, it won't be used exculsively for fishing but that's the enviroment it will get the most use in.

EDIT: Decided I didn't want to risk ruining an expensive knife fishing and bought a Spyderco Delica4 C11PBK. Really happy with my choice, it was out of this or an ak-47/Recon but I managed to snag the Spyderco Delica4 C11PBK for $50!

The delica is a great choice (the Pacific salt and Salt 1 are the H1 Steel versions with no steel liners). I have a Delica FFG and it is a lean mean slicing machine.
Bought a Leatherman Juice S2 yesterday, I needed a light multitool and it was highly recommended.

Can anyone give me some advice for buying a tactical knife? I was looking at the Cold Steel Recon or ak-47, is one better than the other? Is there better choices?
(Jul. 25, 2011  1:58 AM)Robsta Wrote: Bought a Leatherman Juice S2 yesterday, I needed a light multitool and it was highly recommended.

Can anyone give me some advice for buying a tactical knife? I was looking at the Cold Steel Recon or ak-47, is one better than the other? Is there better choices?

There are no shortages of tactical knives and you are only limited by a)your budget b) the style of tactical knife you want. Did you want something beefy and overbuilt? or something more lean/slicing oriented that is multifunctional.

My personal favourite is the Strider SnG, but that is $400. So I'm guessing that's out of your price range.
i have an mtech non serrated 4 inch pocket knife. on sale for 7 bucks. have a schrade non serrated 2 inch pocket knife. a couple of swiss armys, a tiny pocket knife, for 50 cents at a garage sale. i have a 3 inch half serrated dragon flame pocket knife with a flick tab. 14 bucks i think. i have a huge utility knife with like 14 tools. and a winchester pocket with a few blades. im saving up for a gerber spring assisted. NOTE: im a boyscout, thats why i have a bunch of knives
Khel any recommendations for a Tactical EDC knife which I want to use primarily for SD. I plan to carry my delica with me also and want this Tactical knife mostly for SD. Needs to fit in jeans and sit under the $200 price range.
Well depends. did you want something lean and slicing oriented? Or beefy and tanklinke.

Lean Slicing: Spyderco Military

Beefy: Zero Tolerance 200 or Cold Steel Recon 1
Bought a really expensive Strider PT. Soo worth it. The back of the handle is Titanium that has been flame anodized.

[Image: DSCN4139.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4140.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4141.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4142.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4143.jpg]
(Nov. 11, 2011  11:33 PM)Khel Wrote: Well depends. did you want something lean and slicing oriented? Or beefy and tanklinke.

Lean Slicing: Spyderco Military

Beefy: Zero Tolerance 200 or Cold Steel Recon 1

What's your opinion on the Ti-Lite by Coldsteel?

I absolutely love the shape, any other notable stiletto knives I could look at?