July-30-2023: "Still Waiting!" tournament reports

The following are words I have to say about "Still Waiting!", a ranked Burst GT tournament using 3v3 format for first stage and deck format for finals.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://youtu.be/vgqc-Y1tkfU?t=15 . It's fairly retro, even though the track is from this year.

- The weather was nice. We've been enduring very hot heat and thunderstorms more or less alternating for the last week around here, and today was a welcome refresher, mostly in the 80s. We had full use of the pavilion because we got there first.

- The weather was mostly nice because I brought a hat and a cooling towel. It's a special towel that you get wet and they stay cool for hours. They don't even drip much water. It was great. I had it around my neck the whole time. My mother in law likes these cooling towels so much she bought like 200 of them and is planning on selling them. And it's like, what the heck? She's over 70! Why now, why start vending these cooling towels now? But you know what, it's fine, it's not a multi-level marketing thing, it's just a product she likes and wants to sell or give away. Fine. Weird but fine. I don't know about her sitting in the sun selling these cooling towels. Except they do work, and work great, so, she'll be fine???

- We ruined another birthday party today! About 1-2 hours into the tournament some guy drives up and asks how long we're going to be, Crisis tells him hours. Asks if we can share the pavilion. Unfortunately no, there's no good way to cram in everybody in the pavilion, not on a hot day like this. For real folks, if the pavilion is first come first serve, get there first! If we didn't get the pavilion today, we probably wouldn't even have held the tournament or stayed for it, it's been so hot out.

- I forgot a lot of my equipment today! I had to use a Dunkin paper bag as my deck box. It was great.

- We had 17 participants today, kind of, making this a 5 round swiss. Everyone got to play at least 5, except for the person each round with a bye. Also another blader ended up dropping. We did have a single tiebreaker match before the finals, more on that later.

- A bunch of people showed up late! Crisis' tournament threads always state in big red letters that anyone showing up after 11 isn't guaranteed to play. Usually the tournament starts by :10-:15, you really do have some leeway. But we're not kidding around folks, once those Swiss matches get called we cannot add you in, you're stuck. Really convey to yourself and your parents that punctuality is requirement for participation.

- Also this tournament ran way earlier than usual. Back in the day we'd do these at 1. Then 12 became the standard. Today was 11! It's been so hot out, we HAVE to do these earlier in the day. Also a bunch of people had Oppenheimer tickets, so, there's that. A couple people thought the tournament was at 12 and so missed it.

- There was a lot of activity in the free-play area today, because two people brought X stadiums and parts. I gotta say, X is way more fun than I originally thought it would be. It's Chaos. The beys, they're very tall compared to metal! And not wide at all. It's wild. That toothed gear belt actually works!!! I saw Outspins, Over KOs, Burst Finished, and Xtreme Finishes. I even saw a situation where one got knocked out from the entry hole, which counts in WBBA and WBO as a tie. Still think that's the wrong call.

- We started around 11:15, and the first round went until about 1:15. The tournament itself wrapped up around 2:00. We had 3 running beystadiums total, so this went very quickly.

- I did a lot of judging today. Remember to listen to the judge, I mean really listen! Please.

- KOs are now worth 2 points! To include no-contact self-KOs. Which is still a wrong and bad decision by WBO. I saw a lot of people lose matches to self-KOs. I myself lost two. But with 2 point KOs, you really DO have to go for those attacks. And I did get a couple of good KOs in there.

- This tournament was using 3v3 first stage. So we saw a good balance of different bey types. A smattering of Perfect Phoenix, a handful of Lord now that direction switching in 3v3 and 5G formats are allowed. An occasional Hasbro Wind. Lots of Master, Imperial, Judgement, a couple of Zwei. Various other bits and bobs. Oh, and another Spriggan Requiem, somehow that's still good and working in GT. There's really a healthy group of layers in GT that work well.

- I had some dismal views on GT format in the past and I couldn't remember why, until today. Now I remember. Vanguard. That really sleazy Vanguard rules lawyering that allows you to bend down the middle part by hand, making it way less burstable. I saw a whole bunch of people using Vanguard today. I lost a lot of respect for them! I need to remind myself not to do anymore GT tournaments until Vanguard gets either banned or that tampering gets banned. Try harder to conduct yourselves with integrity, bladers.

- My deck for 3v3 GT is fairly standard. A couple tournaments ago, I placed more focus on using attack types, and now that it's 2 point KOs, I decided to do the ol' GT special. Zwei Bahamut Goku Blitz Jolt', Judgement Diabolos Sting Quick', and Master Achilles Around Bearing'. I went with two attack layers to get those 2 points KOs, and as long as I don't self-KO, then surely I will get the points I need!

- I did self-KO during my first match and tie-breaker match. Doh. Those should be 1 point. Show me a person who thinks a no contact self KO should be two and [REDACTED]

- The first stage went badly for me overall, even though I went 3-2. I wasn't alone, a lot of really good bladers had a really rough day at this tournament. My first opponent was JrVera07, and my self-KOs did me no favors. I beat PrinceofCarrots afterwards. XGNnephew001 defeated me third round. I managed to beat Cam27TRS and Danileojar, and wound up 3-2 overall.

- Parents, as a reminder, please be sure your younger bladers are prepared for a tournament. Focus on the match! And make sure to listen to the judge. And don't stare at the judge when he's counting down, that's quite unsettling.

- We only had 1 blader go 5-0 and 1 blader go 4-1. Yet somehow we didn't get to 2-3 records until 10th place. The two tied for 8th were me and geetster99. And I self-KOed again, hahaha, oops. Well, that's life.

- The finals were a bit interesting today, as those 2 point KOs really made a significant difference. I was going to judge more finals matches but I got distracted, I had to bring my Beyblades back to my car, and then I ran afoul of an ice cream truck. Good times.

- I did do some judging. There were a lot of 1-4 early point setups in finals because of the KO rules. I witnessed Dragreus111 Manage to come back from a 1-4 deficit to win 5-4! He would eventually go undefeated in the finals. You know what? Earned. Good job. Crisis got eliminated in the quarterfinals this time around, leaving room for Walkure to go up against Friedpasta. Friedpasta would eventually make it to second, a JCMakeEmBurst would be Walkure for third.

- There were prizes for the top 3! You know those cooling towels I mentioned earlier? I bought 3 for prizing. The top 3 all got one. That's a weird prize but hey, I bet you wish you had a cooling towel during this hot tournament! Well you've got em for the next one.

- I think I'm steering clear of GT tournaments until Vanguard is banned. That part honestly seems dishonest. There's a lot of cool layers that work well in this format, but I just won't put up with Vanguard chicanery.

Good tournament. I'm looking forward to Beyblade East 2023, and X tournaments.
I really liked this report and it sounds like everybody had a lot of fun. Well I did really like it until bentguard was brought up. I don’t understand what part of bentguard isn’t honest. It is legal and it doesn’t even do that much it just makes it work well with dash drivers on stuff that bursts a bit easily. I don’t see the problem as it hasn’t caused a major problem in the meta yet. It just feels like an insult to the players because they were just trying to play competitively and win. (Winning is so based) but I don’t see a huge problem as BDR in BST is way worse of a problem without any tampering whatsoever. I mean no disrespect but like I really see it being unnecessary to say people using bentguard are not honest and this seems like accusing them of cheating.

Nice to see you again, DeceasedCrab. It’s been a while.