Its thaaat Hip-Hop & Rap thread that you wish would go away.

So I just got the new Jay-Z and Cassidy CDs the other day.

I'm impressed Grin
/hijack
Yea I've heard real good things about american gangster. better than kingdom come?
I haven't heard anything about cass in a long time.

I just downloaded M.I.A. kala. its so dope. believe the hype.

you know B-rad to go back to your first post, sure rap/hiphop had funky-ness, but groups like NWA haloed gangsta rap back in around 1988. gangsta rap is not the mainstream but a subgenre imo today, carp like shop boys is the worst mainstream.
anyway people say it will go back to its roots...
I'm enjoying the Japanese band "Soul'd Out", they're good!

Otherwise in english i mainly like Tupac (though i think i got dissed for this in another topic...)
Dude, I think Brad would like the feel of American Gangster.

If you've seen the movie (based off of irl drug king, frank lucas), then it's easy to get the connection between the movie and the CD (that Jay-Z based the CD from). It's pretty much based off of scenes from the early seventies. The production is sick. Personally, I like it better than Kingdom Come, but it's no Reasonable Doubt. But then again, what is? Wink

Haha, by the way OSW, I didn't mean to hate on you. I was just a little irritated by the constant hype that Pac gets when there's clearly many others than are just plain out better than him. His legacy is one of a kind. His rapping ability is mediocre though.
I don't like rap its all about the same things: Guns,Sex,women and money thats all it is ever about.
Litrid Wrote:I don't like rap its all about the same things: Guns,Sex,women and money thats all it is ever about.

I have no qualms with the latter three things. ;D

However, the method of presenting rap music usually annoys me (as do many voices). Generally speaking I take into consideration the actual music/beat first, and then the singer's/rapper's voice second.

This is why I have a liking for 'Party Like a Rock Star' (besides its campy value). I find 'Crank Dat' to be extremely campy (and that is the only reason I even tolerate that song). Most other forms of crunk I can't stand (unless it's a parody of some sort). I don't like Sean Kingston (don't like the beats normally used in his songs, and his voice I find even more annoying).

PS - Will you be my black Kate Moss tonight?
Litrid Wrote:I don't like rap its all about the same things: Guns,Sex,women and money thats all it is ever about.

you fail to realize that these themes are emphasized in both pop and rock music.
Mr. Toto Wrote:

you fail to realize that these themes are emphasized in both pop and rock music.

Exactly. This is why I mentioned the presentation of such elements.
Mr. Toto Wrote:

There are VERY few classic rock songs involving guns and there's like one involving money because back then rock stars were poor and drugged out of their heads.

Now Drugs.... there are a lot in both Hip hop and classic rock about that.
Can it be jdiggz time now?
Baronrana Wrote:Haha, by the way OSW, I didn't mean to hate on you. I was just a little irritated by the constant hype that Pac gets when there's clearly many others than are just plain out better than him. His legacy is one of a kind. His rapping ability is mediocre though.
cheers, no offense taken. I understand your point better too now.
Rap is cool, yo. But to be honest, I haven't really been paying attention to any new raps as of late. I'm getting into Afro Samurai's sountrack by RZA, and I really love "Fury In My Eyes/Revenge" and "Who Is Tha Man."
Haha, I find it amusing how Ozuma totally disregarded sex in his post.

Btw, Afro Samurai's OST is pretty nice. Nice choice. Wink
Ozuma Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:

There are VERY few classic rock songs involving guns and there's like one involving money because back then rock stars were poor and drugged out of their heads.

Now Drugs.... there are a lot in both Hip hop and classic rock about that.

meh I stick with what I said.
I don't like rap because it's really not music in a traditional sense.

I have nothing against using computer generated effects in music as I'm a huge fan and proponent of experimental music, but the effects and such used in modern rap are so repetitive and recycled.

Most songs these days take one or two effects and loop one of them for 3-4 verses and then take another and loop it for 1 or 2 choruses.

But then again, I don't think anyone ever gave rap props for being innovative.

I think rap as a genre has gotten stuck in a rut as of late. No one is doing much to differentiate themselves from other artists in the genre. No single artist is pushing the genre forward progressively and I think that's a shame because there really are some talented artists in the rap genre. :\
Blue, what do you think of this guy named Classified? I confess I like everything I've heard of him.
not a bad confession.

I find him really, really good. plus what he has achieved he did him self with no major label, his production has gotten really good. frankly I need to buy his last two albums. Also its worth note that being from the maritimes he has a dif sound and pov from big city emccees. bTW you like Jdiggz???

besides classic rock(which I see no down sides in), Guns,Sex,women and money are not all rap is about. while at the same time these themes are very important, to many people, in many places and not limited to rap for their expression.
BUT its easy to see why you think so, radio payolla yo.
Political commentary used to be a bigger theme.

And where does this dislike for Gangster-ness come from? the fact is drugs are prevalent, there are ghettos, there are drug dealers, there are turf wars people get shot, guys chase girls, want to make money, move up.
perhaps what I would crititize is the "street cred" of which claims can be laughable. then again it supposed to be entertainment right?
yes I know how much of it sucks too.

anyway, roan, I really have to disagree with your view. I would say hiphop/rap is very inno. genre. From diverse samples, rhyme schemes, slang, content, to synthetic sounds or simple drums.

eschew the mainstream since thats what most of you have defined the Hiphop/rap by.
after all, the members of this forum already do to some degree right? like in any genre you guys already listen too, How often are the artists you like all mainstream.
For me while I like the stuff on the radio, I will get bored of it.
Then theres the artists that hold it down old or new and thats the real Hiphop, popular or not and I'll go back and listen to years from now.

btw im not trying to step on your opinions. I guess i just want to open your minds. LOL sorry i won't fill with Sh&t tho

for those that dare, try downloading:
LUpe Fiasco
TAlib KWeli
Kanye West
MFDoom or DangerDoom
DJ SHAdow (dope dj)
Gangstarr(ol'skizool)
NWA
Common
UGK(Gansta funk)-chrome plated woman
Classified
Buck 65
M.I.A.(crazy, prolly unlike anything you heard)
The Roots-"rolling with heat" or In the music
Wu-tang
Dizee RAScal-Sirens
K-OS

hey baron imma dl american gangsta rite now,.
I like K-OS just fine and I'm also a fan of Snoop Dog (Not on the list, but there is no doubt as to what he did for the genre). I don't like Kayne West. I think he's too full of himself. He raps about god and people wet themselves This is the same man that raps about drugs and women HAVING to look good. He's pretty mixed up. That said he did have a good beat and some pretty decent lyrics with Gold Digger.
I didn't want to include the much mainstream or gangsta dudes cause well, seems people here heard enough of that. But snoop is special ya, have you heard "vato", and the cartoon vid?
Blue Wrote:besides classic rock(which I see no down sides in), Guns,Sex,women and money are not all rap is about. while at the same time these themes are very important, to many people, in many places and not limited to rap for their expression.
BUT its easy to see why you think so, radio payolla yo.
Political commentary used to be a bigger theme.

And where does this dislike for Gangster-ness come from? the fact is drugs are prevalent, there are ghettos, there are drug dealers, there are turf wars people get shot, guys chase girls, want to make money, move up.
perhaps what I would crititize is the "street cred" of which claims can be laughable. then again it supposed to be entertainment right?
yes I know how much of it sucks too.

Well expressed. I personally find it intriguing to listen to rap which provides commentary on political and social issues with style.
osw: yupWink

Not claiming Im a huge fan, but I was surprised and sad to hear that, Pimp C of long time houston rap duo UGK (other man is Bun B) died in his hotel room this past week. Thing is he just got out of jail and they released a good double album this past summer (not really my style but it grows on you).

r.i.p.

I took a listen to a few albums this week
b.a.r.s. by cassidy is the one i digg most
then american gangster is pretty special, but not my type. yettt
Twista's adrenalin rush 2007 is pretty good, but actually I haven't listened to much of it

then some old school circa' 88 I think, 'Life is..."-Too $hort, a cool album man. laidback flow, rhymes are delievered slow when compared the genre today.
K
some fresh recommendations.

OK i mean every one download M.I.A. albums Arular and kala. though idk if it'll stick, i recommend you at least give it chance. dope.BOYZ

Also those that are fans of aqua teen hunger force try out "the mouse & the mask".

The Cool Kids- are amassing hype, so heres a chance to hear them before the blow. check their myspace http://www.myspace.com/gocoolkids try the action figures track, sick as hell didn't hear it un til today.

For those feeling some reall Gs, listen to the Clipse- Hell Hath No Fury. from 2006 but i didn't realize what I was missing. the production is really good, and the rhymes schemes are original.

has anyone heard something good they'd like to add, or better yet discuss?
I can't believe I forgot to mention Lupe Fiasco's "The Cool", a loose concept album that carp owns.
If anybody likes kanye, you shoud like this MORE
excerpt from "Gotta eat" making reference to drug dealing and fast food.

"Hey he had a whole lotta cheese
plus he was a mac had a whole lotta steez

Made alot of niggas fat gave a whole lotta G's,
grams man he had a whole lotta dese

And he would let you hold a whole lotta keys,
even if u lose some he would give you new ones

Twice the bread like he had two buns,
and he had a whole lotta seeds

Even his kids had meals
For-reals, some rich small fries wrapped in paper since they was little,
ketchup niggaa.

song
yaaahh

Also ive been listening to Clipse. You might remeber the song Grinding with the neptunes beat that was Mega hit in like 2002? but the rest of the album didn't really take off.

Man they are (or convincingly appear to be) real G's with sick lyrical content,
though it is mostly about cocain dealing etc.

"Open the Frigidaire, 25 to life in here
So much white you might think ya Holy Christ is near
Throw on your Louis V millionaires to kill the glare.."

So...where are you rap and hiphop listeners? Still in the closet I see.