Is your country's exchange rate, a problem?

Poll: Is the exchange rate affecting you?

Yes
66.67%
No
26.67%
Doesn't matter
6.67%
Total: 100% 15 vote(s)
I didn't get any other place which I thought was suitable to post this and nor did I find a similar thread. Btw, this is a serious matter, though.
Many countries who are suffering with problems of high exchange rates, are unable to buy certain things.
I suggest people reading this thread, to think of the face value of the number, more than its original value to you. I hope I don't need to list all the exchange rates here...
Still, just think about a WBO tourney in Korea.... Almost impossible. Problem? The fee combined with the exchange rate.
Currently,
1 USD = 1,077 KRW.

So, this thread is just to discuss about this matter and other things related to it. Stupid
Yes, our dollar is way too high thanks to the US dollar being trash right now. It makes products cheap for consumers in Canada, but makes things expensive for producers in Canada.
(Jun. 18, 2011  3:41 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: I didn't get any other place which I thought was suitable to post this and nor did I find a similar thread. Btw, this is a serious matter, though.
Many countries who are suffering with problems of high exchange rates, are unable to buy certain things.
I suggest people reading this thread, to think of the face value of the number, more than its original value to you. I hope I don't need to list all the exchange rates here...
Still, just think about a WBO tourney in Korea.... Almost impossible. Problem? The fee combined with the exchange rate.
Currently,
1 USD = 1,077 KRW.

So, this thread is just to discuss about this matter and other things related to it. Stupid

india suffers it too u know what i mean
Xlr8- Yes, I do. It is the only reason that inspired me to make this.
@To- EXACTLY. This is the true purpose of the thread.
Woah, it seriously sucks. I didn't know exchange rates were this bad.
Woah,luckilly my USD is 2.9x than my currency,MYR,last time,it was 3.0xI had to pay 30 MYR to buy a passport.
that's the reason he created this thread because people like to participate in official tourney but the only prob in some country is that people can't participate due to exchange rate he gave a example too above of Korea
lol an economics discussion on this board. Definitely didn't see this one coming.

Exchange rates are a finicky thing. You can't just look at the rate but also factors such as GDP, purchasing power parity etc. The poll isn't really a choice, they affect everybody even if you are not earning an income.
I used to order a lot of things from Japan a few years ago, and did so mainly to obtain certain items (Beyblades, B-Daman, Megaman Battle Chips) as well as use it as a small business.

Back then the US dollar packed a little bit of punch when it came to the Japanese Yen, at around 1 USD = 110Â¥ some days. Nowadays, not so much (1 USD is around 80Â¥ now).

This makes it extremely troublesome for me as a particular pair/brand of sunglasses I want costs around 226,000Â¥, but when converted into USD, it totals to 300+ USD. Back when I first looked for this particular brand, it was around 220 USD, which wasn't that bad as Oakleys (off topic, but I think Oakleys are overrated, so that's why I was looking at other brands) are nearly the same price range anyway.

Actually, anything I want from Japan will be a bit more expensive than I'm previously used to..
(Jun. 18, 2011  6:26 PM)Khel Wrote: lol an economics discussion on this board. Definitely didn't see this one coming.

Exchange rates are a finicky thing. You can't just look at the rate but also factors such as GDP, purchasing power parity etc. The poll isn't really a choice, they affect everybody even if you are not earning an income.

True enough! Well, if we take GDP into consideration, believe me, this site will certainly term this thread as economy thread... Tongue_out
About the poll, I didn't know what to ask, I meant something else, but I wrote a different thing...
btw, I created this thread because the Indian community had a problem about paying the tourney fee($5= almost Rs.250). No, I am not saying that we should reduce the fee, but this is just a discussion about exchange rates...
off topic>> I suck at Economics, so this statement might be noob..
India ranks 10th for GDP... Japan ranks 3rd for GDP(maybe). Still, the exchange rates of both these countries are freaking bad... Actually, I don't even know how is the exchange rate determined (I have a rough idea that its related to the World Bank, and under how much debt you are in).... Still, I created this wonderful thread! Tongue_out

off topic>> bugturtles- Love your avatar!
I found a funny way to make out what the actual exchange rates shold have been...

First take a commodity which is manufactured in both the nations(e.g. soft drink like Coke?)
Now when I went to USA I found that it costs around 1.70$ for them(may have increased now)
The same thing costs us rs. 17

So the actual rate should have been 1$=rs10 actually but just because of the drain of Indian wealth in 19th and 20th century by Britain(studied this in History recently...no offense though) makes the exchange rate almost 4.5x for us.

So now we have to pay rs. 45 for a thing costing $1 in US(thankfully since soft drinks are manufactured in our country the rate of US didnt affect India)
Certainly, I've to say it's a major problem in India.
(Jun. 19, 2011  10:42 AM)SAM10795 Wrote: I found a funny way to make out what the actual exchange rates shold have been...

First take a commodity which is manufactured in both the nations(e.g. soft drink like Coke?)
Now when I went to USA I found that it costs around 1.70$ for them(may have increased now)
The same thing costs us rs. 17

So the actual rate should have been 1$=rs10 actually but just because of the drain of Indian wealth in 19th and 20th century by Britain(studied this in History recently...no offense though) makes the exchange rate almost 4.5x for us.

So now we have to pay rs. 45 for a thing costing $1 in US(thankfully since soft drinks are manufactured in our country the rate of US didnt affect India)

Ah! Nice to learn that formula you used! I was always confused when you PMed me saying that $1 is equivalent of Rs.10....

Um, its not only due to the EEIC taking it away.... We are also heavily indebted to the World Bank. Yes, the two things (drain of wealth because of EEIC and our debt to World Bank) are interrelated...
(Jun. 18, 2011  5:57 PM)Whatzzer Wrote: Woah,luckilly my USD is 2.9x than my currency,MYR,last time,it was 3.0xI had to pay 30 MYR to buy a passport.
its 3.1 actually...in the end,i ahve to pay MYR 32 for your beypassport..XD
Wow! Exchange rates are really big trouble!
Benjohadi- Still, the exchange rate of your country is great!
I'll have to pay INR 450/- for a bey passport!
1 USD=~10,000 rupiahs. DAMN EXPENSIVE, what seemed like a lot to me (RP160,000) seems cheap to you US guys. ($16...) BLARGH
Love ya Australian Dollar. <3
Overtook the US dollar; times are a cruising.
Why was this necro'ed? Hm.....Serious anyways, here in the Philippines we have...
1 USD } Php 42.00
BeybladerPotter..Phillipines currency is almost similar to INR then..because INR now is almost 44 per USD
VND suffers lost from the USD. It is raising and raising. Normally, it is 1USD = 20 000 VND.
It makes Beyblade so expensive.Adult in Vietnam (average) normally have 250 USD as a month salary. Some even have less. It just enough to stay alive. Hence, I hate the imbalance of USD. At the moment, it is 23 300 VND. Too much expensive for Vietnamese Blader to buy alot
I really hate the Dollar-Yen rate right now, it's currently at 76 Yen = $1.

Our family has actually been just eating dinners on base instead of off base, and I hope it doesn't get any worse.
Well yes, its been extremely tough for countries of the East.
tyler Le- What? $1 = 23,300 VND?! This is seriously BIG!
Janstarblast: $1 = 20,764 VND not 23,300 but still it is huge.
Approximately 100,000 VND just for one tournament, wow!
(Aug. 12, 2011  9:16 AM)Blitz Unicorno Wrote: Janstarblast: $1 = 20,764 VND not 23,300 but still it is huge.
Approximately 100,000 VND just for one tournament, wow!

Well, Tyler said 23,300. So yeah!
Looking at those rates, it feels like INR's exchange rate is just a pinhead.... Tongue_out