Is it strange for an 18 year old to love beyblade?

I'm 14 in high school writing a book, working on manga and anime ideas, making music and other stuff. still into Beyblade. It's perfectly normal.
Some people think it's not normal. But not us, not us. Avengers Endgame pun.
(Mar. 19, 2019  5:35 AM)Nightmarefafnir Wrote: Yep,it is very strange

How so? I really don`t think it fits into the definition of strange
I’m almost 14 and people older than me think I’m childish and I’m like...ya don’t say?
(Mar. 20, 2019  12:35 AM)MasterBlaze Wrote:
(Mar. 19, 2019  5:35 AM)Nightmarefafnir Wrote: Yep,it is very strange

How so? I really don`t think it fits into the definition of strange
Because it's a toy
Not a hobby or game or 'sport'
Well my dad judges me for buy Beyblades (I’m 17 with a job) and I say to him you waste your money on fishing poles and boats but you can’t really let anyone tell you what you can and can’t like, I still play with Thomas and Friends take n play toys so yeah... I don’t really let what others say effect me
(Mar. 20, 2019  1:48 AM)LegendV3 Wrote: I’m almost 14 and people older than me think I’m childish and I’m like...ya don’t say?

Yeah, what’s their excuse????
There jealous that his little brother is my best friend
(Mar. 20, 2019  5:55 AM)Nightmarefafnir Wrote:
(Mar. 20, 2019  12:35 AM)MasterBlaze Wrote: How so? I really don`t think it fits into the definition of strange
Because it's a toy
Not a hobby or game or 'sport'

Well, in my opinion, it can certainly be considered a hobby or a game, since it involves certain strategy to win and has its own meta with a relatively complex competitive scenario. Also, even collecting items is considered a hobby, so I don`t see why Beyblades can`t be part of one, just like Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh card games and other stuff. Anyway, its ok if you have a different opinion
I'm going 26 and still playing bruh. Age doesn't matter, especially when you're older and also have work, cuz those judgmental dumdums aren't the ones who will be putting the food on your table, only yourself. Don't listen to them, and enjoy Beyblading until you exhaust your flames. Life is too short to satisfy everyone else by falling into the cookie-cutter standards set by society that doesn't really hold true anymore in this day and age.
(Mar. 22, 2018  6:21 PM)Cancer1433 Wrote: The reason why I ask this is because I’m going into college and I recently returned to beyblade but people around me think it’s weird and childish. It’s enough to get me thinking but then I see large YouTubers that are older than me and they are really into beyblade. Any pieces of advice?

I can relate to this. I typcially don't jump into a subject like this, but...

Where do I start? It's all in how you go about expressing your passion. I could assume by your comment that you don't go around launching Beys at tree stumps with a battle cry like "Pegasis! Storm Bringer!!" in hear-shot of other people. Now that will be considered unusual, and will, more than likely, raise some questions in even the most socially-detached individual. But you're thoughts are valid; you wanted to indulge your interests that, for the most part, is rather simple.

Allow me to tell you my story.

I'm a 35-year old, 6-foot, African-American male. Very athletic, an entrepreneur and business owner, engaged to be married, a martial arts instructor, artist and designer...and I've loved Beyblade since its creation. It's not uncommon for me to have one on me to look at (I fancy the Driger Beys). For me, Beyblades are fine pieces of aesthetic works that have captured my imagination with their simplicity and articulation. There are very few forms of art like them and I find that fascinating. But that's my truth and reality; you shouldn't feel pressured (for one) to justify yourself in this context: You like Beyblades, they're interesting to you. And, to be frank, anyone criticizing you honestly don't care. They're just reinforcing their perception of reality by belittling yours, because it's "different". But I will say, how you conduct yourself and expressing that interest is key to how people interpret you and respect you.

Everyone's perception is different. In the beginning, many have made the general statement (as you have made) that they're just toys. And they are. But in the same breath, these people defend their own interests in things that I don't find appealing. Like cans, coins, glass cats, vintage clothing, cars, as if one is more or less an oddity than the other. But the consistent factor between all hobbies is the individual's expression and behavior, and hardly every the hobby itself.

Imagine if you will, a man going to work, meeting people, or hanging out with friends and/or family and the looks on their faces when he mentions a new Beyblade that has caught his interest. In the past, I was ostracized and labeled. But, as I gained confidence and wisdom, I was able to understand and reason with people instead of becoming defensive. Back, then my motives were for the simple pleasures of getting a new Beyblade and admiring the shape and form (and have fun with battles). For me, my interest in Beyblades impacts my life no more than if I were to build a hobby around shoes. As I am now, I normally find myself in discussions with people who question my choice in hobby and bringing them to pause by my ability to thoroughly and confidently articulate, not only why but, what pleasure I find in them; and in return, they begin to question THEIR own interests a bit more thoroughly. Respect is fostered, not because I made a bomb-carp point with witt, but because I took the time to understand myself, which translated into me showing them how to see the world a little differently; because I could just as easily criticize them just the same. When you break it down to its basic denominator, a hobby is a hobby, no manner the choice. But you hafta be assured and truly appreciate why you like what you like. People will draw conclusions, whether your muse is acceptable or not. But the person who understands themselves normally emerge with their dignity intact.

I mean, it's fun. Surrounding yourself with objects of affection as you get older is attractive to many. But I've seen many people, inside and outside of hobbies, criticize this as shallow materialism. "...people using objects to fill some hole in our lives". The term "man-child" is often thrown around. But this is not the case with me or many other people I know personally. That blanket judgment completely (and ignorantly) dismisses the emotional element such hobbies have in our ever-changing lives. In my case, it dismisses the Driger Slash, Dragoon Storm and Dranzer Spiral I worked most of a summer at age 19 so that younger siblings could have the latest  game to share and play with while I was away in college (We have something in common, Cancer1433). It dismissed the smile on the faces of my younger cousins who didn't have toys at all, growing up in project-housing (like myself and my family at one point), to build their very own unique Beylade from the random parts I had collected over the years, to play with their brothers and sisters. (And they have a least one; and have a LOT of cousins). Those memories will forever be burned in a mind's eye. And that's where the separation of understanding becomes most apparent. I'm sure there are people out there who collect things for trophies and monetary gain; I don't dispute that. But for every one of those people, there is at least one of us that collect things such as Beyblades because of the very personal attachment these items have had in our life experience. For me, it was art but I also represented a point in my life where I was able to express my ability to use my own money for my family by buying my younger siblings their favorite Beyblade. And even now, in my local area, I donate Beyblades to charity. Items like these have a way of intricately weaving into the very fabric of every experience we have.

Unfortunately, we still have not progress where some people will use social dogma to reinforce a narrow view of life. I've seen grown men eviscerated for having toys in their home, if for other reason than to collect. This is such an narrow-minded view; again completely dismissing the emotional connection these items can have in someone's life. One of my cousins, for instance, told me that her Galeon custom was her bastion of escape after she got it. Before, we spent days recoloring it to pink to match the Galux Beyblade she loved from the anime. They helped shield her from some pretty negative things in my life and she still has it (much to my surprise even) as a high school teenager; a comfortable reminder of her childhood. Now she's college-bound and is in gymnastics.

And that really is the crux of the conversation. You really have no idea why someone collects or engages in any of the activities they do. Some of us were lucky enough to have a father or older brother or sister that got us into video games, baseball cards, comics, toys. Exposed us to sports, taught us a skill; sharing countless memories.

I've had the common critique that hobbies such as Beyblades are direct evidence that you've never grown up. Essentially, a statement that you are still a child. This again completely dismisses the individuals personal accomplishments to make a blanket statement that stereotypes everyone. Again, I am a 35-year old, soon-to-be married man with multiple (rather lucertive) businesses going, including a fitness program which I offer. (You wouldn't believe I collect Beyblades if you saw me) I've always had a job. I left out of my parents home when I was 20. I have good credit. A master of two martial arts (which I still teach to the youth). About to buy a home and I owned two cars. My fiancee supports me; she's a singer-songwriter (local celebrity even), mechanic and clothing designer. I spend quality time with her and my family regularly and have been to many places outside of my birth state to experience other cultures and environments. I have accomplished what I wanted in life and I am in no way "a child that has never grown up", be it physically or emotionally. This all despite my home being full of Beyblades and toys.

I guess what I'm saying is "let your flag fly high". Do not let stereotypes and other people's judgment define you. You are your own individual and they will never know your experiences that have led you to where you are today. A hobby can be a beautiful thing that carries none of the negative baggage some people claim it can be. A source of memories that are irreplaceable. Physical embodiments of the people and emotion you hold most dear. These items could have gotten you through the hardest times in your life, shielding you from the worst with their power to make you feel better in the end. It doesn't matter how you choose to gain to collect or to display your cherished items. it doesn't matter if your game room is huge with 10,000 games are just a corner in your living room or bedroom that has only 10; what these items have meant to your story, your memories, and your good times can never be labeled by an outside voice. Beyblades, for me, will always be about the who, the what, and the where. Beyblades have always been my favorite shared hobby. I've Beybattled at work with my friend/co-worker; had them at every meeting; my fiancée even has her favorites (Dark Deathscyther.F.J, Killer Deathscyther.2V.Hn, Wild Wyvern.W.O, Bloody Longinus.13.Jl) which she keeps on her art table.

Beyblades are my hobby. I'm not ashamed of that and I never will be. All can hope for is that when I'm dead & gone, my family looks back on the many Beyblades I've collected and enjoyed with them and I hope they feel the same.

Beyblades are not strange, they're toys that you like. They're enrich you in some way that intrigues you; they offer escape for bordem, they offer inspiration, they offer status, they offer community. No different than any other thing that I've seen in life. So from here on out, think about why, what draws you to them, and be happy. Be excited. Let people know that you like them, yeah; but so what? Do they like things?

P.S.: Don't let them hide behind the "adult" excuse. Some adults don't "adult" very well themselves.
Hang around other people.  I have an 8 year old son and probably would have never known about beyblades without him, but I LOVE playing with him.  I'm 35. I also play board games and videogames, and I watch cartoons...so what. I did all this before I had my son, and enjoy that i actually have so much in common with him.  So much fun.  Do what you like. Like what you like.
29 year old and still love beyblade.
26. Not strange at all, people will always have something to say.
I’m 67 and I love bey blades and I turn up to blue face song bust down thotiana while I play beyblades.. we lit ?
(Mar. 24, 2019  8:38 PM)BR2019 Wrote: I’m 67 and I love bey blades and I turn up to blue face song bust down thotiana while I play beyblades.. we lit ?

If this is true then..... I Respect Your Crypn
I’m 26 years old and will proudly show off my beyblades and talk about it. Once you get over the fear of what people think about you, all that matters is what makes you happy.
It’s not strange at all. No matter your age you should play the games or do the things you like. Try introducing your friends to it maybe you could get them into it.
(Mar. 22, 2018  7:19 PM)Eleanor Wrote: I am 20 and a girl...Normally U dont see girls liking beyblades...a few months ago I was sad since people laughed at me for liking beyblades and they still laugh at me...My brother laughed at me just 2 days ago when he found out about my liking of beyblades and what exactly WBO is...

U know what...I just learned an inportant lesson from each member of WBO member here...That U dont have to pretend on being someone. Just be U and love what U love...I love beyblade and thats it...I dont care what people think about me. I am a girl...I am 20 ....Bla bla bla...If they dare to say anything...With my knowledge of beyblades I shut them up...And just order them to mind their own bussiness...So nowadays...They dont disturb me and I am glad....And all thanx to the members here for giving me support and strength to fight back by shutting people up.

Coz its ur life and U didnt come into this world to entertain others

(Mar. 22, 2018  7:19 PM)Eleanor Wrote: I am 20 and a girl...Normally U dont see girls liking beyblades...a few months ago I was sad since people laughed at me for liking beyblades and they still laugh at me...My brother laughed at me just 2 days ago when he found out about my liking of beyblades and what exactly WBO is...

U know what...I just learned an inportant lesson from each member of WBO member here...That U dont have to pretend on being someone. Just be U and love what U love...I love beyblade and thats it...I dont care what people think about me. I am a girl...I am 20 ....Bla bla bla...If they dare to say anything...With my knowledge of beyblades I shut them up...And just order them to mind their own bussiness...So nowadays...They dont disturb me and I am glad....And all thanx to the members here for giving me support and strength to fight back by shutting people up.

Coz its ur life and U didnt come into this world to entertain others

Wow well said Eleanor.  I haven't been in the wbo for so long till today. I am currently 21 years old and i have a huge collection of beyblades. Heck i even have a gigantic display case of all the beys i collected in the series and when i mean big, i mean about 200-300 beys.
I’m 26 and am coming back to the game after a long hiatus. I don’t feel at all that I’m too old and it’s actually been a fun bonding hobby for my fiancée and I as she has developed quite the interest in it as well!
I think there’s always going to be outside judgment of what age is “correct” to play with toys, but I say it’s an all ages toy that has some real community and fun customization just as any person in the RC hobby world would find as well.
I'm 27, turning 28 next month and I just bought this triple booster b-113 and a level chip ? you're never to old!
I feel the same way too and i am 18 too; recently found my old collection and remembered when i was younger i wanted a specific beyblade but my dad was cheap he preferred giving his new wife stuff than things for me, his own daughter; now that i am an adult i wanted to see if i could buy it Online for nostalgia sakes and couldn’t find it so i joined a beyblade discord group to ask if they know where i can get it and ended up making beyblade friends and the nostalgia made me love it again and people in at discord group are older than me!
Currently 13 and turning 14 next month and really it is not strange to love beyblade when u r even 50
I'm turning 22 this year and I still collect em. No harm in having a hobby, better this than being out on the streets involved in a whole lot of mess cos it's the "cool" thing to do. Beyblade is a great hobby to have alongside regular day to day stuff.
The biggest fan of them around here is my cat and if i can entertain her for more than a minute spinning tops its a win win ?