Incompetent members, what should we do?

Kai-V? Am I what you'd call incompetent?
Discuss that via PM if you don't mind. Tongue_out
(Aug. 01, 2011  12:35 AM)♥ Wrote:
(Jul. 31, 2011  11:38 AM)Dan Wrote: Guys, its obvious we send hired 'agents' in to rough up our forumly-challenged members. I mean, execution is a bit much, no?
Honestly, just deal with it like we have been and most will straighten out after a while. OP+Sympathizers should either deal with it or ignore those kinds of posters at all costs. Perhaps I'm being mean, but that is probably the only way considering we've never had any other approach to them while I was active here.

I think this is a good approach. If it annoys you so much, just ignore it, or better yet - report it. There's no obligation for you to try to convert new members; if you think it's too much of a burden, then I'm sure someone else will pick up the responsibility gladly.

Acceptance that we will constantly have new members who are quite young and may never have been on a forum is the key here, really.

Quiz ideas are pretty odd - I know I certainly wouldn't sign up for a forum which required me to demonstrate a certain level of knowledge. This comes off as both elitist and unwelcoming.

I absolutly agree with everything in that post.
Please guys,
STOP ASKING WHETHER YOU ARE INCOMPETENT OR NOT.

@♥- Yeah, that's what we are doing from ages!
(Aug. 01, 2011  12:35 AM)♥ Wrote:
(Jul. 31, 2011  11:38 AM)Dan Wrote: Guys, its obvious we send hired 'agents' in to rough up our forumly-challenged members. I mean, execution is a bit much, no?
Honestly, just deal with it like we have been and most will straighten out after a while. OP+Sympathizers should either deal with it or ignore those kinds of posters at all costs. Perhaps I'm being mean, but that is probably the only way considering we've never had any other approach to them while I was active here.

I think this is a good approach. If it annoys you so much, just ignore it, or better yet - report it. There's no obligation for you to try to convert new members; if you think it's too much of a burden, then I'm sure someone else will pick up the responsibility gladly.

Acceptance that we will constantly have new members who are quite young and may never have been on a forum is the key here, really.

Quiz ideas are pretty odd - I know I certainly wouldn't sign up for a forum which required me to demonstrate a certain level of knowledge. This comes off as both elitist and unwelcoming.
Hm, that's true. However, I do remember once that I saw a quiz on the sidebar on "Yahoo Answers!" It said that you can take the quiz as many times as you want, and when you pass you receive 300 answers points. Maybe we don't make the quiz mandatory, but we at least have it so you can take it. If we don't reward them with a face, then maybe it's 20 beypoints or something. Still, I think the idea might have potential.
Is it possible if we can disable posting from newly registered members, and if they try to post, it leads them to a page which links to the rules, or th!nk's guide or anything that would help them. We can enable their posting function once they read the thread or whatever.

That would help, no ?
(Aug. 16, 2011  11:19 AM)Electric Wrote: Is it possible if we can disable posting from newly registered members, and if they try to post, it leads them to a page which links to the rules, or th!nk's guide or anything that would help them. We can enable their posting function once they read the thread or whatever.

That would help, no ?

They can just ignore the thread or the rules or something
uhh i think that when new guys ask how to battle, IMO they are thinking we have some kind of online virtual battling thing. so maybe we could tell them it's not virtual, and that you have to be at a wbo event etc.
Just let the noobs be idiots they'll learn to follow the rules once all there stupid threads are closed and incompetent comments marked as spam.
(Aug. 16, 2011  11:27 AM)JCx06 Wrote: uhh i think that when new guys ask how to battle, IMO they are thinking we have some kind of online virtual battling thing. so maybe we could tell them it's not virtual, and that you have to be at a wbo event etc.

We have an FAQ which answers this exact question soooooo.
Plus, if you go on a site and see absolutely nothing about battling online, why the hell do you still assume that you have to battle online.

BeybladeBattles.com is really noxious for that reason : it is like kids these days at first believe that the battle is necessarily online, while before it was obvious that Beyblading was done offline, just like it should be. They completely messed up the definition of Beyblade ...
(Aug. 16, 2011  11:22 AM)DeX Wrote:
(Aug. 16, 2011  11:19 AM)Electric Wrote: Is it possible if we can disable posting from newly registered members, and if they try to post, it leads them to a page which links to the rules, or th!nk's guide or anything that would help them. We can enable their posting function once they read the thread or whatever.

That would help, no ?

I am sure not everyone will do that, it will considerably lessen the SPAM from newbies.
(Aug. 17, 2011  5:39 PM)Electric Wrote:
(Aug. 16, 2011  11:22 AM)DeX Wrote:

That would help, no ?

I am sure not everyone will do that, it will considerably lessen the SPAM from newbies.

I say we just take 'em out back and flog 'em Tongue_out_wink

The problem is that when members just join, they need time to learn how this community functions. Every forum is different, and some rules on one may not apply to the other. I agree with Electric; for the first few hours after they join, they are not allowed to post. So instead, they'll just surf around and get a feel for the forum (I hope).
Just out of curiosity, would any of you, personally speaking, stick around for a few hours if you weren't able to post? You register because you want to post. If you didn't, you could remain a Guest forever.

Most of these suggestions are completely ignoring what makes a forum a vibrant community.
But most members bearly ever post though?
Beyblades.... Are uhmmm Toys. They're kids on this website. Immature, Crazy and yes, BAD at GRAMMAR! You have to thINK, some are 8 years old!
And that excuses you to be stupid? A stupid member is a stupid member, regardless of age. Not to sound mean, but the problem is still here, and it makes the communtiy boring and plain annoying. You can't excuse this because of simple age.
I'm just saying, No need to be THAT strict. Everyone was a noob once.
are you joking?
by 'stupid' you mean they dont follow the rules or make posts without reading around. Little kids (who this game is aimed at) are prone to doing this. You're all ignoring obvious realities we deal with.

I say this thread should be closed. Nothing will come out of it, we will deal with the problem the way we always have. By teaching those who accept to be taught and disregard those who refuse to learn. We get through to a lot of people this way, and if we didn't do things that way, half of you who are posting would not be members.
Speechless
temporal is right and heart sorry didnt know how to put the heart thing probably still would be on the site even if i couldnt post
There is a difference between a member being new, and a member being stupid. Being a new member likely means you make a few bad posts and improve as you learn, or in some cases start off a good member and improve. A stupid member, however, simply continues to post terribly, and annoys more experienced members and new members alike.
EDITED: Taking Daegor's point into consideration.
(Aug. 17, 2011  11:15 PM)Temporal Wrote: There is a difference between a member being new, and a member being stupid. Being a new member means you make a few bad posts and improve as you learn. A stupid member, however, simply continues to post terribly, and annoys more experienced members and new members alike.

I would just like to say that I didn't make bad posts when I was new (well, maybe one). I lurked pretty long before I did anything. Your blanket statement about new members making bad posts strikes me as a bit condescending.

But what the heck, using the word condescending was probably a bit condescending.

Anyway, just my two cents. New members won't always make bad posts.
Maybe I worded it wrong, but most people here know what I mean. Maybe I should go back and edit it so people won't get the wrong idea, but I mean to say that new members tend to improve as they contribute, and well, stupid members are simply stupid.
(Aug. 17, 2011  11:45 PM)Temporal Wrote: Maybe I worded it wrong, but most people here know what I mean. Maybe I should go back and edit it so people won't get the wrong idea, but I mean to say that new members tend to improve as they contribute, and well, stupid members are simply stupid.

Untrue. There are all sorts of members. You're making another generalisation.

I think I will lock this as Dan suggested, as it is fast becoming full of posts criticising future members when really, the posters have no idea who they're likely to be or act.