Gears of War 2

I think in the end it was worth it tho.

Look at the marketshare they snagged from Sony. That wouldn't have happened if they weren't first out of the gate.
(Nov. 11, 2008  11:44 PM)Roan Wrote: I think in the end it was worth it tho.

Look at the marketshare they snagged from Sony. That wouldn't have happened if they weren't first out of the gate.

I still think their new pricing scheme (while very tempting) is insane if they like to make money.
(Nov. 12, 2008  12:02 AM)To Wrote:

I still think their new pricing scheme (while very tempting) is insane if they like to make money.

They were profitable last quarter and that was WITH the price drop, so we'll see what happens.

Going into the holidays I think A LOT of $199 Arcades are going to be sold. There's also the $299 Pro bundle with 2 free games (Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones) aimed at the younger audience.

Meanwhile Sony's cheapest model is still $399. There's not going to be much competition between Sony and anyone this holiday, the real battle is going to be between the $199 Arcade and the $249 Wii.
(Nov. 12, 2008  12:20 AM)Roan Wrote:

They were profitable last quarter and that was WITH the price drop, so we'll see what happens.

Going into the holidays I think A LOT of $199 Arcades are going to be sold. There's also the $299 Pro bundle with 2 free games (Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones) aimed at the younger audience.

Meanwhile Sony's cheapest model is still $399. There's not going to be much competition between Sony and anyone this holiday, the real battle is going to be between the $199 Arcade and the $249 Wii.

Well Sony's goal this year was to make the PS3 cheaper to manufacture so that they can do crazy Microsoft prices. I suspect a price drop in February to coincide with Killzone, or when ever FFXIII drops in Japan.

But hey, I'm all for another PS3 on Boxing Day (*hint*hint* Canadian Retailers).
(Nov. 12, 2008  12:42 AM)To Wrote:

Well Sony's goal this year was to make the PS3 cheaper to manufacture so that they can do crazy Microsoft prices.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I think it was a bad move. Sony needs to slay this holiday season to get a real foothold in the market and in this carp global economy they are not going to do that at $399, especially given that their competition's prices are so aggressive. They aren't doing so hot right now, and while LBP, Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 are surely great games for the system, they aren't getting the marketing push they need to really sell systems. Ok, well LBP is getting a pretty big campaign, but the other two aren't.

Microsoft is obviously spending big bucks to push their big games, namely Gears of War 2, but also have the marketing team on overdrive promoting the New Xbox Experience. They're presenting this like a console re-launch, and if you think about it, it really is. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, or as Brandonk loves to label me, an "Xbot", but think about it. For $199 this holiday, consumers can get an AMAZING package in the Xbox 360. With all of the new functionality the NXE adds (Netflix streaming, Avatars -- which I am skeptical of, but they are still worth mentioning, etc.) and all of the biggest games from both third and first parties, I think the Xbox 360, particularly the Arcade, is going to pull in some amazing figures in the next month.

Now don't get me wrong, I want the PS3 to succeed. I own one of the damn things and I never use it unless I'm watching a blu-ray -- that's the system's biggest problem. Its not that it doesn't have any games worth playing, because it certainly does, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like the system is being marketed more as a movie player than a gaming device, and that is exactly what it has become for me. I don't own a single game for mine. All I have are blu-rays. Seven of them, to be exact. While the games the system has are all high quality, there's not a single console exclusive game outside of the recently released LittleBigPlanet that really defines the system as a must-have gaming device.

Just my two cents. I'll be eagerly awaiting Brandonk's reply through Kenny.
I want to try this game pretty badly, the campaign sounds awsome. The TV ads are killing it too.

wth is wrong with the online match making or whatever? has there been a patch? i was reading on gaf and furthermore read one guy calling it carp on metacritic forums before realease...
(Nov. 12, 2008  5:06 AM)Roan Wrote:
(Nov. 12, 2008  12:42 AM)To Wrote:

Well Sony's goal this year was to make the PS3 cheaper to manufacture so that they can do crazy Microsoft prices.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I think it was a bad move. Sony needs to slay this holiday season to get a real foothold in the market and in this carp global economy they are not going to do that at $399, especially given that their competition's prices are so aggressive. They aren't doing so hot right now, and while LBP, Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 are surely great games for the system, they aren't getting the marketing push they need to really sell systems. Ok, well LBP is getting a pretty big campaign, but the other two aren't.

Microsoft is obviously spending big bucks to push their big games, namely Gears of War 2, but also have the marketing team on overdrive promoting the New Xbox Experience. They're presenting this like a console re-launch, and if you think about it, it really is. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, or as Brandonk loves to label me, an "Xbot", but think about it. For $199 this holiday, consumers can get an AMAZING package in the Xbox 360. With all of the new functionality the NXE adds (Netflix streaming, Avatars -- which I am skeptical of, but they are still worth mentioning, etc.) and all of the biggest games from both third and first parties, I think the Xbox 360, particularly the Arcade, is going to pull in some amazing figures in the next month.

Now don't get me wrong, I want the PS3 to succeed. I own one of the damn things and I never use it unless I'm watching a blu-ray -- that's the system's biggest problem. Its not that it doesn't have any games worth playing, because it certainly does, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like the system is being marketed more as a movie player than a gaming device, and that is exactly what it has become for me. I don't own a single game for mine. All I have are blu-rays. Seven of them, to be exact. While the games the system has are all high quality, there's not a single console exclusive game outside of the recently released LittleBigPlanet that really defines the system as a must-have gaming device.

Just my two cents. I'll be eagerly awaiting Brandonk's reply through Kenny.

I admit $199 is incredibly tempting.

I've seen more Motorstorm: PR commercials then LBP, which makes me sad, considering MTongue_outR isn't the greatest of racers, even off-road wise.

And yes, they need to start advertising the PS3 as a console again. I remember the whole "Lets Watch Blu-Rays!" TV Ad from Japan.
This is the gears of war thread. back on topic: The matchmaking sucks because not many people are on. You can get the old maps so it's basically the same with some added features. Find a group to play with a lot and it should be easy to find a match Grin. You can always do horde on private xbox live with one or 2 other people
(Nov. 12, 2008  5:37 AM)Artie Wrote: This game carp rules \m/
thissssss
Played through Campaign from Act 1 to start of Act 2 in co-op with a friend who owns the game (I don't have it). I really missed co-op Gears =)
After that, we went into Horde mode and, well....it's carp addicting. We got to the 9th wave, but were already having trouble and I had to leave since it was late. Can't wait to play more of it.
Gears is still as badass as ever.
(Nov. 12, 2008  11:37 PM)To Wrote: I've seen more Motorstorm: PR commercials then LBP, which makes me sad, considering MTongue_outR isn't the greatest of racers, even off-road wise.

have you played it? your wrong man. also if your basing on the demo your still wrong.
I owned the first Motorstorm and hated it. lol

Anyway, competition for my GOTY 2008 is tight between Gears 2 and Mirror's Edge. Prince of Persia is still right around the corner though, so we'll see what happens.

Regardless, this has been an AMAZING year for gaming.