Gaming Random Thoughts

ЯOAN Wrote:I get flamed and called a carp playing Halo 3 on XBL because my Spartan is pink.
Same here, apparently a "british" accent makes me gay, and immediately means my favourite past-times are "eating tea and crumpets" (despite tea obviously being a drink), performing fellatio on other men, and getting my "carp saved" by the yanks.
I don't cry about it because it's meaningless trash-talk, and I give as good as I get, only with wit and charm.

Quote:They're immature pricks like princeCHARMING who seem to think that insulting other people when they really don't deserve it is funny.
I'm mature enough to appreciate that the verbal abuse is part and parcel of a competetive atmosphere, that human nature forces many people to strive for a degree of hegemony that often manifests itself as some variety of "persecution" ("gtfo-Noob!", "I didn't know they had internets at the zoo", etc...), and that other people's words, on the internet, are absolutely meaningless to me, and as such completely unable to do me emotional or physical harm.

The people who need to grow up are the hyper-sensitive, insecure, emo-kids whose whole existence is destroyed because some carp with a mic called them a bad name.

Quote:carp cowards.
Now who's lashing out with derogatory labels?
Congratulations, you just became the thing you say you hate.
guys, you can't change society.
this isn't exclusive to Halo.
there are some idiots that obviously take advantage of their mics,
because if that were to be said in real life,
you'd get your carp kicked sooo fast.
you gotta learn to avoid the idiots.
PRINCEcharming Wrote:The people who need to grow up are the hyper-sensitive, insecure, emo-kids whose whole existence is destroyed because some carp with a mic called them a bad name.

Yes, because being offended at all by insults means your an insecure emo-kid and your existence has been destroyed.

You may be the most eloquent moron on this board.

PRINCEcharming Wrote:Now who's lashing out with derogatory labels?

If degrading someone through a veil of anonymity and geographical distance isn't cowardly, what is?
Tamer Brad Wrote:Yes, because being offended at all by insults means your an insecure emo-kid and your existence has been destroyed.
Given what I said, I'm obviously not talking about being slightly miffed.
I mean the people who go on at length about what terrible monsters people are for mic-trolling, throwing around insults themselves, commonly including allusions to their being "ignorant" (though rarely mentioning what they are ignorant of), questioning their intelligence or breeding, and generally making remarks that directed towards the offended party would be taken to be very hurtful.

Obviously if someone goes babyfur just because someone else called them a bad name, then that person is insecure to the point of having something to fear from the words of others, and would probably benefit from some real verbal bruising until they develop thick enough skin to shrug it off.

Quote:If degrading someone through a veil of anonymity and geographical distance isn't cowardly, what is?
My point exactly. Decrying someone else for doing something, and then deciding to turn the tables on them with one's own brand of insult is hypocritical.
PRINCEcharming Wrote:My point exactly. Decrying someone else for doing something, and then deciding to turn the tables on them with one's own brand of insult is hypocritical.

Calling people who spew insults only under anonymous conditions "cowards" is about the equivalent of calling the sky "blue".
Tamer Brad Wrote:Calling people who spew insults only under anonymous conditions "cowards" is about the equivalent of calling the sky "blue".
Then what has Roan done, if not exactly that?

I don't see him approaching these people in the street to call them cowards, I don't see him posting his address or a proposed meeting place, nor offering anything to back up his IRL existence with regards to the comments he has made.

That is exactly what he accuses these supposed cowards of doing, and is thusly hypocritical.
At the very least the players on XBL can be identified by their gamertags, a representation of their online identity, available to those they unsult.

Moreover, there is no basis to say that these people do hide behind anonymity, since we have no reliable means of determining what their behaviour is like outside of a particular online arena.
PRINCE, it's different because he's not even addressing them at all. He is simply commenting -- rather correctly -- on the nature of their actions. Your inability to give up the devil's advocate routine is quite grating. A general comment and opinion is far different from addressing someone directly.

There are few things in this world that are universally "bad", but the malevolence displayed by the people in this video is certainly an example of it. Truly, we're all guilty of similar things, but it's the recognition of our own mistakes that redeems us.
I think you're mistaking voluntary idiocy for malevolence.
It's one thing to say something and mean it, it's quite different to do it for the lulz.
PRINCEcharming Wrote:I think you're mistaking voluntary idiocy for malevolence.
It's one thing to say something and mean it, it's quite different to do it for the lulz.

If I see the word "lulz" ever written on this board again, people will bleed.

And at any rate, while some people in the video were clearly joking, there was a lot of it that was clearly malevolent, and that's what we're all talking about here.
Quote:lulz
Only one way out of this predicament.
[Image: candlejack.jpg]

Sam's right, this is dragging on a bit.
I'm happy to drop it in the interest of maintaining civility.
OKAY SAM WE'LL BE SURE NOT TO EXPRESS OUR OPINION ABOUT THINGS WE CAN'T CHANGE IN THE FUTURE

NEW TOPIC: POLITICS? RELIGION? JUST ABOUT ANYTHING? TOO BAD, WE CAN'T CHANGE IT, THEREFORE LET US NOT DISCUSS
lolsam1337 Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:OKAY SAM WE'LL BE SURE NOT TO EXPRESS OUR OPINION ABOUT THINGS WE CAN'T CHANGE IN THE FUTURE

NEW TOPIC: POLITICS? RELIGION? JUST ABOUT ANYTHING? TOO BAD, WE CAN'T CHANGE IT, THEREFORE LET US NOT DISCUSS
those aren't people on the internet in a game

those are completely different

and actually you can change those if you try hard enough

calm down

You're right, if the members of beywiki.com concentrate real hard, we can impeach Bush, right?

Your point is carp stupid and all any of you are doing is playing devil's advocate for no reason other than to be jerks. You don't actually have any carp opinions about anything, it's all just about the "lulz" with you guys, right? It's only the internet, people don't matter, right?

carp wrong. People on the internet are carp human beings and I'm sick of the moronic carp arguments that try to absolve people on the internet of any responsibility because "it's the internet lol who cares". Emotions don't vanish simply because there's a carp cable connecting people.

All of you God damn morons who try to act like the internet isn't real life need to wake the carp up. It's just as much a part of real life as -- well, ANYTHING. It's not fiction. It's real. The people are real. Their words are real, and they can be meaningful, and they can be hurtful, and I'd rather be upset and offended and carp carp about it than turn into cold-hearted, apathetic, vapid morons who completely dismiss everything said on the internet because they've removed all meaning from it simply because it doesn't fit their arbitrary definition of reality.

I'm going to go lay down before I have a stroke.
sam, I'm not trying to make you out as a villian, simply as someone who doesn't take anything on the internet at all seriously

I obviously don't mind you that much if I unbanned you twice, I have nothing to gain from making you out as a bad guy
Artie Wrote:hey guys i like gaming

me too Grin

I actually need to pick up some new DS games, though considering I just quit my job, maybe not right now.
Ominous Wrote:Don't you hate pants?

I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.
Crimson Wrote:
Ominous Wrote:Don't you hate pants?

I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.

shorts are gross, wear skirts <3
Listening to my roommate play FFX is really entertaining. XD
lolsam1337 Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:sam, I'm not trying to make you out as a villian, simply as someone who doesn't take anything on the internet at all seriously
thats mainly because there is NOTHING you can do without being like the firend code carp system.

i don't stand for this, and i've been taking this as seriously as possible the "lulz" was there simply because you had said that you hated that word above me.

i really don't feel like continuing this

i quit

sam we already quit that discussion

and simple solution: an option so only people on your friends list can voice chat with you
Reading the past few pages of this thread made me lose pretty much all hope for humanity. :\
No, it was mostly Prince's posts.

Although I don't agree with some of the things you said either.
sam, it's not up to you what gets discussed here
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/japa...c-get.html

Japanese Virtual Console is getting Pokemon Snap for their next update.
And apparently, it'll have a function to let you save pictures you took, and send them to other people.

It better come over here soon afterwards, or else I'll be very sad.
Crimson Wrote:http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/japa...c-get.html

Japanese Virtual Console is getting Pokemon Snap for their next update.
And apparently, it'll have a function to let you save pictures you took, and send them to other people.

It better come over here soon afterwards, or else I'll be very sad.

OMFG

/Extreme Envy