Face Contest: Design Storm Spriggan!

Hello World Bladers!

This is not only a new design contest, but also the return of the "Design the upcoming Beyblade!" theme! In celebration of the new Dual Layer system coming out this April 2016 in Japan, we're challenging you to imagine what the new Storm Spriggan Layer will look like, before we even see anything about it! All that's known about it so far is the general info on Dual Layers: they're roughly the same size as Layers with the same colour and global scheme, but the transparent casing is smaller and a lot of colored plastic protrudes all around. It's really wild! Check out what Victory Valkyrie B.V. looks like!

Be creative, but also keep in mind what TAKARA-TOMY's designers usually create. For instance, Storm Spriggan obviously won't be a ball of soft plastic, because every piece needs to have flaws!

For this very special series of Face Contests, the judges will not be the Committee. On the contrary, there will be no judges: the entries will need to litterally pass the trial of time! Essentially, the person whose design resembles TAKARA-TOMY's final product the most will naturally be declared the winner. In other words, the winning entry should be obvious to you, you, and even you over there once we get official pictures of Storm Spriggan!

The winner will get their choice of:
It's been years, but what could be inside them?!

Considering the nature of the challenge, it's probable that there will only be one true winner, but we'll see!

But that's not all! An actual Storm Spriggan will be given to the winner of this Face Contest too! It just makes sense that you get what you designed, right?!

Here are a few rules:
  • The design obviously needs to reference the theme of the Beyblade.
  • Limit one entry per person! Your first entry will be the only one that's considered, so make sure it's fully finalized!
  • The WBO Committee is eligible since it's not the judge this time!
  • You have until March 4th at 11:59:59 PM EST to submit your design. Any entries after that will be disqualified! Don't forget that if, unfortunately, new pictures get discovered for this Face Contest's Beyblade that reveal too much of its design, the contest will have to end prematurely without any warning.
  • Post your entries in this thread! (You can also talk about the contest, ideas, or whatever in this thread as well!) However, you cannot post drafts of your entry and ask for feedback!

Imagine having the power to see into the future, to predict what upcoming designs are! Go... Draw!
Count me in!

RIP my free time.
Taking into account the balance nature of Spriggan it will be probable that whatever we get will seek to enhance this balance and not detract from it. I'd imagine that the new addition to the bey would most likely emerge in the form of lightning.

I'd imagine a circular center over the top of the bey, much like Victory Valkyrie's new design, though perhaps with some spikes that literally dont do anything just give that lightning feel. Then, coming out from that central point, will be four jagged lines each making their way out to the edge of the bey. These would all taper off to a point which just slightly peeks off over Spriggans sides.

http://tokutakutoys-bey.ocnk.biz/data/to...93a446.jpg

The curves between the two axe-looking parts at either side of the Bey would be a logical place to put two of these new lightning points, and then the slight curve in the transparent plastic at either side of the bey would be a good position for the other two.

The four points would ensure balance remains largely the same and beef up the attack power slightly.
is that our entry? look at the thread in the op for an example.
This is a design contest, so of course we expect to see an illustration ...
Here is my entry! (Awesome skills for Paint not included)

Pictures: I believe the only thing that needs explaining is the driver, which is essentially a coat sharp.

Enjoy!!!
here is my entry!

the driver is like a sharp, but with a semi-flat like top.

hope im accurate!
Just so I understand the concepts clearly : Flame~Capricorn, the extensions are basically a web of coloured plastic, with holes in it ?

mudorios, so that is essentially the Spriggan Layer and the extensions are on the empty sides, where there used to be just clear plastic ? That is interesting. I fixed your images, by the way.
(Feb. 12, 2016  4:09 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Just so I understand the concepts clearly : Flame~Capricorn, the extensions are basically a web of coloured plastic, with holes in it ?

the lines are to give it a sort of "Crystalized" look to it, and the "holes" are my attempt at stickers.
(Feb. 12, 2016  4:09 PM)Kai-V Wrote: mudorios, so that is essentially the Spriggan Layer and the extensions are on the empty sides, where there used to be just clear plastic ? That is interesting. I fixed your images, by the way.

yah, basically. i mean, it's a little more smoothed out, but otherwise, yes.

also, sorry for my horrific paint skills.
I think I got a bit carried away doing this Tongue_out Oh well, it's a good excuse to break out the watercolours, I guess. Apologies for the horrible image quality; my phone is... Not good.

That is super cool, I like that you used watercolours.
i both hope storm spriggan is like that, AND hope it's more like mine. funny how that works.
(Feb. 13, 2016  12:38 AM)Chimera Wrote: I think I got a bit carried away doing this Tongue_out Oh well, it's a good excuse to break out the watercolours, I guess. Apologies for the horrible image quality; my phone is... Not good.

I swear your design is a lot like how I imagine it, good work!
I really like that design. I do not think it is very Spriggan but, outside of becoming an attack type layer, the improvement on its original design is simple and elegant enough, while the artistry is far better than you give yourself credit for.
Well, at risk of it all being spoiled by leaked photos of the real Storm Spriggan, I'm going to post this now. I originally imagined its profile would be a little more like the original Spriggan's silhouette (more subtle) but I guess I got carried away.

Justification:
  • Updated to more closely resemble recent layer designs like Horusood and Xcalibur; symetrical but not radially symetrical.
  • Heavy colored protusions from beneath clear plastic section; like Victory Valkyrie.
  • Branch-antler motif of mythological spriggan creature more literal; like Xcalibur.
  • Silhouette similar to original Spriggan motif; individual sticky-out bits.
  • Overall size much the same as usual.
  • Space included for stickers. Urgh.

Worth mentioning that I've only done the LAYER because I'm pretty sure that's specifically what the OP says... Right? You can kind of imagine how this would interact with nicely colored additional parts. This is the first competition I've ever entered on the WBO too; I must be on holiday or something! Good luck to everyone; the entries so far are pretty eye-opening.
That is a really great design. And yes, basically imagining the Disk and Driver is an extra, only the Dual Layer is specifically what we are looking for.
(Feb. 13, 2016  3:38 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: I really like that design. I do not think it is very Spriggan but, outside of becoming an attack type layer, the improvement on its original design is simple and elegant enough, while the artistry is far better than you give yourself credit for.

whose entry are you talking about?

well, i see a pattern here. we are all editing old designs. flame's entry looks like draciel v2, mine looks like flash saggitario, chimera's looks like gaia dragoon s, and beylon's entry reminds me of minoboros. my guess, seeing as i just realised it, is that none of us will be even remotely close to the actual design. oh well, we'll see what happens.
Can I draw on a piece of paper and upload a picture of it?
(Feb. 13, 2016  4:04 PM)lolitsjoey Wrote: Can I draw on a piece of paper and upload a picture of it?

Absolutely, any medium is good.
Kai are u excited about storm spriggan disign
For sure, or mostly the Dark Deathscyther design hahah. But any of the new ones is something to be excited about though.
So, clearly, I'm no artist, but here's my submission anyway. Grin
It gets the point across and that is all you need hah.
(Feb. 13, 2016  1:36 PM)mudorios Wrote:
(Feb. 13, 2016  3:38 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: I really like that design. I do not think it is very Spriggan but, outside of becoming an attack type layer, the improvement on its original design is simple and elegant enough, while the artistry is far better than you give yourself credit for.
whose entry are you talking about?

Chimera's, the one everyone else was talking about just above me.