Drumming Topic.

So... there was a guitar thread and not a drumming thread!? well, there's one now, I checked and didn't find one for just drumming so yeah!

Talk about your drum kit, what music you like to play, your favourite drummers and so on so fourth!

Close this if need be. but I checked and found nothing.
I was a self-taught drummer for several years, basic and some complex rhythmic skill, favoring swing drumming and line snare.

My knees blew out a couple of years ago, however, essentially ending my kit drumming career, and snare is just not really worth it with how quickly I get sore, now. I've got a Ludwig Classic Snare of some manner that I still tinker with now and again, but I have since sold my drum set. I played a basic setup, low snare, single bass, floor tom, and high and low toms, with a hihat, Zilgian Ride Crash, Ride, and some non-brand generic Cymbal that came with the non-brand set itself.

I am not sure if this fits within the existing Instruments Thread(since we made an exception for Guitar), so I will leave it for the time being.
Thanks Hazel, It's good to know that the is somebody other than me that knows something about drumming on this forum, well, besides Nic of course lol, but since he hasn't posted in a good while so yeah.

How many years were you playing for before you damaged your knees? I've only been playing for 2 years seriously come Christmas this year, when I got my kit, and I was about a year or so of that without lessons because my drum tutor had broke his arm, and then we had to switch time for me to go to the lessons, and there were none others that suited and there were no other decent tutors in my area but I recently started in-school lessons again a few weeks ago and so far it's going great! a little basic though Pinching_eyes
I'd been doing snare for about a year before I got a set, then I had the set for two years and some change before my knees blew out. Given that I was self-taught and barely capable of reading music, I wasn't anything fantastic, like I said above, but it was a nice cathartic hobby that let me express my affection for the only instrument I listened to, at the time.
‎>__< Just broke my LAST pair of Drum Sticks... time go to buy some more... Tired they were: Pro mark American Hickory 5A's for those of you who were curious...

I play. I'm old so here's a little from a guy from this teeny tiny band from England called Led Zeppelin. Just watch a little of this from Jan 9th 1970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRuTcnd8YLU
Key Killer, I know who Jon Bonham is, he an absolute legend in my eyes, and those triplets... I don't have to say anything... he is one of the greatest drummers I have ever seen. period.
I am self-taught to hazel. I like to play most kinds of music, just not country and dub step, I really don't like those. I taught myself on buckets Tongue_out. so I am I allowed to ask if anyone has a you tube account for drumming. I do, but I have not up loaded any vids yet though, my profile is drakio1000 just in case if you were interested in seeing me play.
I was thinking of uploading some covers in YouTube as well, but I kinda need some new hardware before I upload some stuff, still looking for a Left Double Kick, and some cymbals, but I need a new ride, I was thinking Sabian AAX Ride 20" any thoughts? and also, can anyone recommend a decent crash for playing metal music, I'm thinking a Sabian AAX 16" but what do you all think? I know this isn't a very good forum to ask about drums but I'm just curious, you never know lol
I was always a Steve Gadd follower, in terms of technique and rhythmic inspiration. Obviously I would've loved to play like Buddy Rich, but never in a million years would it have been physically possible, haha. I used three different types of sticks - Concert 7As for straight Snare playing and jazzier set routines, Rock 5A Plastic Tips for crash-heavy stuff, and Heavy 5Bs for "I'm playing because I want to make noise" sessions. Always Vic Firth sticks.
7A's are too light for me... I just don't like them compared to 5A's I like a good, moderately weighted, wooden tipped pair of sticks, Vic Firth 5A Nova or Vic Firth 5A American Hickory, Wooded tips on both...

I'll order either of them of maybe both tomorrow, I tend to like having a spare pair of sticks incase one pair breaks like what happened today Tired

Thanks for some nice positive posts guys, it's good to know that there are other drummers here Grin
I really love my 7A Concerts for just straight snare routines, but sticks are all about what fits each individual properly anyway. I also have some Wooden Tip American Classic 5As I used a lot, now that I think about it. I've broken a couple pairs of sticks in my day(which led to me getting some plastic tips for crash-heavy sets!), but none in a few years due to lack of activity.

I also have a pair of Wooden Tip 5B Heavies signed by the drummer of Three Day's Grace that I got after spending the day with them in their tour bus, once upon a time. Not super big into their music nowadays, but back then I enjoyed it.
You guys should join tempo forums, it is a music forum, I don't know if you have heard of it. If you want to join, just pm me and I will give you the link because it hard to find on google. It is not my forum though, it belongs to ryuk just f.y.i.
Hazel, your so lucky to have been able to spend the day with them, Three Days Grace are awesome, although they wouldn't be my favourite band, there still good, how did you get the opportunity to spend the day with them?

Anyway, the pair I broke were plastic tipped, I liked them but I think I will go for wooden tipped sticks because I haven't played with them in a while Grin

It was an opportunity presented to me by fate and fortune, not something that I could do again, haha. The process was simple - it basically involved inquiring with the band about their next gig, and eventually it led to that.

Wooden tips resonate less, and feel better in-hand, to me, but with a lot of crash use, they break/chip.
That's what I like about Wooden Tipped sticks more, the resonating sound with nylon tips is annoying and can sometimes be a pain to listen to when trying to cover a song or something like that but I guess Moon Gels can sort that out!

And it can get annoying for some people with wooden tips chipping much more than Nylon, but it doesn't really bother me in the long run, it's just if that's your last pair of sticks, you can't get another pair for a few days and you don't want to damage your heads by playing with a half chipped drum stick... I guess it would get tedious VERY quickly >___<