Deltora Quest

Dubbing anything makes it seem like its not from its original source. Hence my Beyblade comparison a few points back. In Beyblade - a Japanese show, Rei is a Chinese character but speaks perfect English without any sort of accent. Not only does that hide the fact that it's a Japanese show, it hides the fact Rei's Chinese.
(Sep. 07, 2011  8:12 AM)To Wrote: Dubbing anything makes it seem like its not from its original source. Hence my Beyblade comparison a few points back. In Beyblade - a Japanese show, Rei is a Chinese character but speaks perfect English without any sort of accent. Not only does that hide the fact that it's a Japanese show, it hides the fact Rei's Chinese.
Going so off topic here...the chinese symbols in him indicate that he's Chinese (Rei), also his name can be written in Kanji but it is written in Katakana instead for Japanese viewers.
The name Tyson hides the fact that he is Japanese because they have changed his name, strangely enough, Daichi's name is kept :\

Unfortunately Chinese characters speaking perfect Japanese is a confusing problem, but I have seen some anime where they put implications of Chinese words such as ni hao like once or twice to show they're Chinese. But because Beyblade is a children's show, they won't notice; the ones that do notice are older people who have some knowledge of language and culture.

Dubbing is confusing, this is why I don't like dubs very much, but I do agree, dubbing loses it's feel of the series. Deltora Quest, I don't mind it in Japanese because it has been turned into an anime but when dubbed it should have kept the feel and touch of being based on an Australian novel, that's why I didn't like the dub using all North American accents :\
But I guess it's the directors (or Producer's) choice on what voices/names etc. to choose Pinching_eyes_2

Call me a critic if you like but I'm Australian and if an Australian novel like Deltora became an anime and dubbed in a different accent, it loses it touch. Same with Japanese animation, if it was dubbed into English it loses it's touch such as puns, references etc.
(Sep. 07, 2011  9:47 AM)Tiger Fury Wrote:
(Sep. 07, 2011  8:12 AM)To Wrote: Dubbing anything makes it seem like its not from its original source. Hence my Beyblade comparison a few points back. In Beyblade - a Japanese show, Rei is a Chinese character but speaks perfect English without any sort of accent. Not only does that hide the fact that it's a Japanese show, it hides the fact Rei's Chinese.
Going so off topic here...the chinese symbols in him indicate that he's Chinese (Rei), also his name can be written in Kanji but it is written in Katakana instead for Japanese viewers.
The name Tyson hides the fact that he is Japanese because they have changed his name, strangely enough, Daichi's name is kept :\

Unfortunately Chinese characters speaking perfect Japanese is a confusing problem, but I have seen some anime where they put implications of Chinese words such as ni hao like once or twice to show they're Chinese. But because Beyblade is a children's show, they won't notice; the ones that do notice are older people who have some knowledge of language and culture.

Dubbing is confusing, this is why I don't like dubs very much, but I do agree, dubbing loses it's feel of the series. Deltora Quest, I don't mind it in Japanese because it has been turned into an anime but when dubbed it should have kept the feel and touch of being based on an Australian novel, that's why I didn't like the dub using all North American accents :\
But I guess it's the directors (or Producer's) choice on what voices/names etc. to choose Pinching_eyes_2

Call me a critic if you like but I'm Australian and if an Australian novel like Deltora became an anime and dubbed in a different accent, it loses it touch. Same with Japanese animation, if it was dubbed into English it loses it's touch such as puns, references etc.

Agreed Tiger Fury. I bet Emily Rodda imagined them with Australian Accents. and Ã…nubis there are more similarities to Aus than one might think...
Forests of Silence: The forests in the Blue Mountains (where she lives) are eerily silent.
The Lake of Tears: There are many lakes in Aus
City of the Rats: we aussies have always had a rat problem...
Shifting Sands: The Simpson Desert is a large area of dry, red sandy plain and dunes in Northern Territory, South Australia and Queensland in central Australia. Straight from wikipedia
Dread Mountain: she lives in the Blue Mountains, do the math
ill edit later with the rest