Dedicated Japanese [日本語] Forum - Testing the waters...

Poll: Should we open a dedicated Japanese forum?

Yes (Let us know why)
93.94%
No (Let us know why)
0%
Undecided
6.06%
Total: 100% 33 vote(s)
So as you may know I will be hosting the first WBO tournament here in Japan. I am really excited about this but, there are a lot of hurdels to jump.

This biggest issue I see is most people in Japan do not know enough English to use a forum like this. There are a lot of Japanese beybladers as everyone knows.

So I have proposed a dedicated Japanese forum here on the WBO. I am not sure how quickly it will take off or even if it will be used a lot. But I am positive that if we want have more tournaments and more Japanese bladers here on the WBO, the first step will be having a place where they can communicate easily.

I am willing to moderate the forum. Also I am currently translating the current rule sets into Japanese.

This thread is to post your opinion on it.
Do you think we should open a Japanese forum?
Would you use the fourm even as an English speaker?
Who here can speak Japanese? (even a little)

Thanks for your opinions good or bad!
Well, yes I agree with you. There should be a forum for Japanese speakers. There wasn't one, because of very less number of Japanese here.
It's only right to have a dedicated Japanese-speaking forum for the birthplace of beyblades. It's only a matter of time really. So yeah, I agree!
I guess it will be good,but i dont think you should make a new thread,because there is the make your suggestions thread.

But it will be really cool if We have tons of japanese bladers.it help us on those translating things in the anime forums
Actually, I think this would help a lot. Because they have all the latest parts and stuff, and they probably will have an Attack Type Beystadium, they're testing can help the overall community a lot, if you can translate the tests they make. I will definitely, even though I don't know Japanese, [I do know a little, from Anime and my cousin is Japanese.] I will find some way to use that forum ,as it can be very interesting.

I agree, we should totally do this. Also, on the note of moderator, I think we'll let OkiBlaze moderate it.
It would probably be best if it's up and running before your tournament, because then, the on-the-spot sign up / attendees will have already access to the available Japanese forum, and feel comfortable enough to discuss things.
Just going to move this to the "Questions and Comments" forum where all of the other new forum-related threads/petitions have been posted in the past.

As we've already talked about, I fully support this. It's always puzzled me as to why we haven't been able to get a Japanese forum/community up and running in the past, but like I said to you before, perhaps we were simply waiting for someone like you who could handle the responsibility of translating rules, moderating, etc.
Yes, I support it. Plus it could be a chance that TT might get partnership with WBO. And if there was a japanese forum. I vote beybladejapan to be a committee member! Anddddd we could get world recognized like FB. Lolyou got my vote!
It would be a smart idea to open a Japanese Beyblade forum.
Because with the vast number of jp bladers joining (hopefully) will make the site numbers sky rocket.
If we are the biggest international beyblade in the world , hasbro and TT might have to start listening to us.

Plus I would get to practice my japanese and my kanji:]
学学学学学学学学!
All of these posts do not mean much, honestly.

Previously, when we were trying to see if a forum should be opened in a certain language, we would ask for people from that community to post, not just anybody who posts from around the world ... And this is what makes me think that right now, it would simply not work : nobody would post, or only three or four users.

I know that opening such a forum could lure more Japanese Bladers, and your publicity could help as well, but there is also the possibility that no, there are not many more Japanese members who join ...
okiblaze and akirasdaddy can speak japanese, no? It doesn't hurt to try, I don't think.there could be a"trial period"
I expect Japanese bladers have their own type of "WBO" forum/BBS Board or whatever.

There wouldn't be any advantages in joining this forum because I don't think as competitive bladers they would be able to effectively use the beypoints system either.
(May. 12, 2011  1:34 AM)Ruka Wrote: I expect Japanese bladers have their own type of "WBO" forum/BBS Board or whatever.

There wouldn't be any advantages in joining this forum because I don't think as competitive bladers they would be able to effectively use the beypoints system either.
Just as the italians mingle with the rest of the world to communicate and discuss combos and further their metagame, I would think we'd start attracting japanese bladers that would contribute as well.
(May. 12, 2011  1:34 AM)Ruka Wrote: I expect Japanese bladers have their own type of "WBO" forum/BBS Board or whatever.

Actually I have not found any 'big' Japanese board, really nothing that could even be compared to Beyblade Renaissance.

If this site wants to really be the "World" Beyblade Oraganization it is going to have to adapt to the languages around the world not just Japanese but other languages too.

This forum is run on MyBB, which has the capability to be run in multiple languages. This is why there is a language selector at the bottom. The absolute simpilest form of being international is having a thread for other languages. You are right though that still does not let them successfully use the BeyPoint system.
(May. 12, 2011  1:34 AM)Ruka Wrote: There wouldn't be any advantages in joining this forum because I don't think as competitive bladers they would be able to effectively use the beypoints system either.

How would they not be able to effectively use the BeyPoints system if tournaments begin to be hosted frequently in Japan?
Kai-V's concern for having just a few japanese members post regularly is completely valid. However, this situation is like chicken vs egg. You never know that:

1. There's no available Japanese speaking section in WBO, thus, there's not enough active Japanese members in WBO.

or.

2. There's not enough interest in beyblade forums in general for japanese people, hence, it's not really needed.

But either points are still not confirmed, and the best step would be to simply create this Japanese forum, and trial-run it for a few months or a year, and see where it leads.
(May. 12, 2011  4:29 AM)beybladejapan Wrote:

If this site wants to really be the "World" Beyblade Oraganization it is going to have to adapt to the languages around the world not just Japanese but other languages too.

This forum is run on MyBB, which has the capability to be run in multiple languages. This is why there is a language selector at the bottom. The absolute simpilest form of being international is having a thread for other languages. You are right though that still does not let them successfully use the BeyPoint system.
Buy a passport for $10 a year and earn credits toward getting prizes. *shrug* As I assume the "better credit system" after quest for quetz will still have redeemable prizes.

Aside from that, do the Japanese share any interest in learning English or exploring Beyblade outside of their culture? I would think that that would be a key point in starting a Japanese forum - bridging our cultures and possibly eliminating language barriers by giving those bladers a chance to practice English, French, Spanish, Italian, or Turkish by discussing their hobby. I think that being around the forum enough, they would take interest in our face system, which can only be properly utilized by attending official WBO tournaments IMO.

But seriously, why does each blader's goal have to be based on self gain? Maybe we'll find a few Japanese bladers like Okiblaze, Akirasdaddy and Beybladejapan that just want to help us further our game. Some people just enjoy helping others...

I think you guys are selling the WBO short: we may not have Japan's beypoint system, but our forum is amazing. For a non-profit, fan-based site, this takes Beyblade to a whole new level. Our determination, dedication, and affinity for the game is more than enough to draw anybody who shares that into our community. Don't let one con out way the many pros.
(May. 13, 2011  12:40 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Aside from that, do the Japanese share any interest in learning English or exploring Beyblade outside of their culture? I would think that that would be a key point in starting a Japanese forum - bridging our cultures and possibly eliminating language barriers by giving those bladers a chance to practice English, French, Spanish, Italian, or Turkish by discussing their hobby. I think that being around the forum enough, they would take interest in our face system, which can only be properly utilized by attending official WBO tournaments IMO.

Asking people (who will most likely be young kids) to learn more languages is asking a bit much, I think. As cool as it might be to "explore Beyblade outside of their culture", we want to create a Japanese forum so that they can speak Japanese and still participate in everything the WBO has to offer (a lot of which TAKARA-TOMY does not offer).
This forum is great! I know this and this is why I am going to the trouble to open it up to the country that I reside in. The bottom line here is they can not use this site as is. You need to beleive me. Sure you may go to the Takara Tomy website and look at the pictures, but did you register, do you participate in Japanese beyblade converstions across the web regularly in Japanese? I don't think so not becuase you don't want to but because you can't.

The WBO can lose nothing from becoming more international.
If only 3 or 4 people post in a Japanese forum why is that so bad?

Anyway this is my last post on this topic.
If anything is to happen I have already offered my services.
(May. 13, 2011  9:05 AM)beybladejapan Wrote: This forum is great! I know this and this is why I am going to the trouble to open it up to the country that I reside in. The bottom line here is they can not use this site as is. You need to beleive me. Sure you may go to the Takara Tomy website and look at the pictures, but did you register, do you participate in Japanese beyblade converstions across the web regularly in Japanese? I don't think so not becuase you don't want to but because you can't.

The WBO can lose nothing from becoming more international.
If only 3 or 4 people post in a Japanese forum why is that so bad?

Well said.

I'd like to add that in most countries, second language is taught (if so) only from Grade school or even Junior High. Considering the age group of this community, that is like saying that you have to discuss things in a language that you've only learned for a couple of years at most.

Kai-V, c'mon, give it a try. Who knows what the future holds eh? Smile
(May. 13, 2011  7:44 AM)Kei Wrote:
(May. 13, 2011  12:40 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Aside from that, do the Japanese share any interest in learning English or exploring Beyblade outside of their culture? I would think that that would be a key point in starting a Japanese forum - bridging our cultures and possibly eliminating language barriers by giving those bladers a chance to practice English, French, Spanish, Italian, or Turkish by discussing their hobby. I think that being around the forum enough, they would take interest in our face system, which can only be properly utilized by attending official WBO tournaments IMO.

Asking people (who will most likely be young kids) to learn more languages is asking a bit much, I think. As cool as it might be to "explore Beyblade outside of their culture", we want to create a Japanese forum so that they can speak Japanese and still participate in everything the WBO has to offer (a lot of which TAKARA-TOMY does not offer).
I'm not saying to jump in and learn another language - more if they are already learning any of those in school this is a great place to improve on it.
Personally I very much encourage this idea. A trial period maybe 3-6 months should be more than enough time to fully decide if it would work. What could it hurt?
To everyone asking what it could hurt, well, people's time translating (and preferably having a second translator check to make sure it's all good), time setting up and moderating, organising on the committees part (though Oki, and I suppose beybladejapan's help (I'm not sure on your standing, no offence at all, I don't see everything as I stick to a few threads), it'd be easier, but yeah, the setup still has to be done).

Plus, it'll mean other language groups will request their own "trial forum". While this is obviously only reasonable because Japan gets everything first, cheaper, and given it's obvious popularity there, and mainly from being the home of beyblades, explaining that will be a pain, and I'm sure we'd get more requests.

That said, I actually think it's an amazingly excellent Idea, seeing as Kai-V gets a lot of our/her new info from Japanese boards IIRC, we'd have info sooner by having a dedicated forum here. Plus, as everyone's said, testing, more metagame/combo info. Plus, given there's no independent site, we might have something, with enough publicity.

Though, the fact there isn't already a Japanese forum is a little discouraging, but yeah. If important members are happy to spend time setting it up (Kei's support is notably important), there isn't a big reason not to give it a shot.
3-6 months mightn't be that much, but yeah. I dunno. If we fall just short of having enough members, we'd annoy people by closing the forum. So, um, yeah, I don't know if a trial board is practical or even possible. Uncertain Though, it does give members a reason to spread the word, so maybe...?

In summary: I think it'd be great, if the committee thinks it's worth the effort.
(May. 14, 2011  4:49 PM)th!nk Wrote: That said, I actually think it's an amazingly excellent Idea, seeing as Kai-V gets a lot of our/her new info from Japanese boards IIRC, we'd have info sooner by having a dedicated forum here. Plus, as everyone's said, testing, more metagame/combo info. Plus, given there's no independent site, we might have something, with enough publicity.

I can guarantee you that you would not get news any sooner. I get most of my information sooner than when the majority of the Japanese fans learn about it. For instance, I had the first, although small images of Big Bang Pegasis and L Drago Destroy, as well as their full names, days, or even a week before any Japanese found them, and actually most of them just found the names, never the pictures ...