Computer viruses!

Poll: Have you ever goten a computer virus?

Yes
82.99%
No
17.01%
Total: 100% 147 vote(s)
(Jun. 30, 2012  5:31 AM)TriSexy Wrote: No, it's real. Her computer is all screwed up. I have made prank viruses before and nothing like this. haha.

Prank? My friend used to put those on my laptop all the
Time...

Anyway, just because something gives you a virus doesn't mean the website is untrustworthy. For example, once I went on to eBay and got a virus. (Yes I am 100% positive it was from eBay)
Now I'm stupid when it comes to computers, but I think people do this by--I don't even know.
It was a new laptop too...
(Jun. 30, 2012  5:38 AM)Tetsu Wrote:
(Jun. 30, 2012  5:31 AM)TriSexy Wrote: No, it's real. Her computer is all screwed up. I have made prank viruses before and nothing like this. haha.

Prank? My friend used to put those on my laptop all the
Time...

Anyway, just because something gives you a virus doesn't mean the website is untrustworthy. For example, once I went on to eBay and got a virus. (Yes I am 100% positive it was from eBay)
Now I'm stupid when it comes to computers, but I think people do this by--I don't even know.
It was a new laptop too...

Some ads containing javascript objects harboring malicious content were put up on eBay last year, and have occasionally leaked in at other times, as well. It's not really eBay's doing so much as their ad provider.

When these javascript ads play on a browser that doesn't block Javascript, they automatically prompt a hidden download of the malware onto your system without you possibly being aware until it kicks in. It is basically the primary method by which people get malware on their systems.
Who would stupid enough to click on a message like that.First thing the computer first opens the antivirus program and then it starts fixing the problem .Only fools are the targets to this people who have no life.
(Jun. 30, 2012  9:35 PM)MegaPrime Wrote: Who would stupid enough to click on a message like that.First thing the computer first opens the antivirus program and then it starts fixing the problem .Only fools are the targets to this people who have no life.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so please, shut up.

Most malware is downloaded to your computer completely without any prompt whatsoever.
I do a lot of messing around with my DSi. Downloading Moonshell2.0 and other .nds files. The sites I get them from seem a bit sketchy so I'm not surprised when I get a virus. Usually one of the thousand anti-viruses I have installed on my computer blocks them.

But this one, oh no. This one was so damn annoying.

Everytime I searched something via the URL bar using Google chrome, the search result came up as "qyburd search results" or something like that. I didn't really mind it at first because a simple by-pass was just to search via the google homepage. But after a little while, it got annoying.

So I messed around with the control panel and tied seeing if any program by that name was installed with the name. No avail.

So, I then went to the Google chrome browser settings and went under " Search engine" or something like that(sorry, blame the late hour for the fuzzy details). I saw that "qyburd" was set to default. So then I changed it back to "google" and un-installed "qyburd".

Fixed the problem. Seems pretty easy for professionals. But tbh, I kinda felt ike a boss when I fixed it :3

There you have it, my virus story. LOL Tongue_out

Excuse spelling and grammar, 1:46 AM Tired
I'm pretty lucky because my uncle is a like a computer genouis and works at IBM and so if our laptop messes up or something or gets a virus he'll fix it. But I play roblox and I'v never gotten a virus or anything from it. The only time I've gotten a virus was for opening a website and my computer instantly crashed. So I now we got a antivirus but can't remember what its called because its on another computer not this one. But now I can also fix my own laptop if it catches a virus, but if it is super serious my uncle fixes it. But I have gotten other stuff on my computer and had to completely erase the hard drive and re install windows and everything.
(Jul. 01, 2012  6:44 AM)Insomniac Wrote: I do a lot of messing around with my DSi. Downloading Moonshell2.0 and other .nds files. The sites I get them from seem a bit sketchy so I'm not surprised when I get a virus. Usually one of the thousand anti-viruses I have installed on my computer blocks them.

But this one, oh no. This one was so damn annoying.

Everytime I searched something via the URL bar using Google chrome, the search result came up as "qyburd search results" or something like that. I didn't really mind it at first because a simple by-pass was just to search via the google homepage. But after a little while, it got annoying.

So I messed around with the control panel and tied seeing if any program by that name was installed with the name. No avail.

So, I then went to the Google chrome browser settings and went under " Search engine" or something like that(sorry, blame the late hour for the fuzzy details). I saw that "qyburd" was set to default. So then I changed it back to "google" and un-installed "qyburd".

Fixed the problem. Seems pretty easy for professionals. But tbh, I kinda felt ike a boss when I fixed it :3

There you have it, my virus story. LOL Tongue_out

Excuse spelling and grammar, 1:46 AM Tired

This is your standard Internet Browser Hijacking schema.

Several of them are much more complicated to get rid of, and in some cases, if you don't already have an appropriate antivirus set up on your system, you will be in very deep; they make it impossible to download antivirus software, and will occasionally come with something to block you from running executable files at all.

A couple of them even set the automatic redirect for every page to a site that puts more garbage on your system.
(Jul. 01, 2012  7:42 AM)Hazel Wrote: This is your standard Internet Browser Hijacking schema.

Several of them are much more complicated to get rid of, and in some cases, if you don't already have an appropriate antivirus set up on your system, you will be in very deep; they make it impossible to download antivirus software, and will occasionally come with something to block you from running executable files at all.

A couple of them even set the automatic redirect for every page to a site that puts more garbage on your system.

Yes, after removing that one, I searched to see if there were any firewalls to prevent it. And where the virus is coming from. After a bit, I realised it could be MUCH worse. I'm so happy that was a minor one.
i`ve heard that if you go to cleverbots.com the mysterios BEN virus can escape into your computer if you ask for it`s attention.
IT HAS BEEN TESTED i have spoken to it just go to cleverbot.com and ask for BEN keep saying BEN just type in BEN over and over after bot replies you have spoken BEN is trapped unless some one breaks the web sites firewall so your safe unless some one hacks website.
I did not understand that. Are you saying "When you go on cleverbot, and continue to type BEN over and over, a virus named BEN will be downloaded into your computer"? If this is true, it wouldn't be logical to make a virus only downloaded when a name (Ben) is typed, since only a small fraction of people would think of typing that. And where has it been tested? When? And by who? Have you tested it? Sorry about the questions but all I want to do is investigate. Many site safety checking websites, such as Site Adviser, MyWOT, and Norton Site Saftey say it has not been tested. If it had a virus, surely antiviruses must have reported it to the main server of there company / developer for it to be verified and tested by now...
if you have heard of the legend of zelda majoras mask look up majoras mask BEN read something on a web site named creepy pasta i think if you look it up something with creepypasta in the name should appear that will tell you stuff about the ghost virus BENIt is a mystery
Not everything on creepypasta is real. If it is not proved to be a real virus, do not mention it.
sorry but you have to admit it is kinda creepy and cool at the same time.
This thread is not for memes, creepypasta, or any of that other garbage. This is for discussing and assisting people with legitimate issues.

If you have nothing to contribute or discuss in that vein, get out of this thread.
I've Gotten A few viruses over the past years, but Microsoft Security Essentials Cleans my computer for all viruses except one particular one a ramnit or somethig like that, luckily that went away after downloading soo much antivirus programs!
Next time, don't download a lot of antiviruses at once. Sometimes, antiviruses have conflict between each other.
Oh Okay , But Are Ramnits or whatever very dangerous?
Ramnits have been used to steal personal financial information, so they are fairly malicious. Most antivirus should be able to handle them, though...
Man, that ramnit was hard to come off my computer even with the best antivirus programs.
From what I've seen, Avast is a great free home computer program. It can be downloaded right to your desktop and it is very effective in catching the dirty little viruses. Another program I use is Spybot. It's another great tool to wipe your computer clean.
MicrosoftSecurityEssentials then i uninstalled it, then i installed avg free and avast free, scans took too long so i uninstalled both.
But luckily the virus ran away! Smile
Well a virus cannot run www. It could have been removed or that one of your antiviruses did not detected it... Unless you are saying, by ran away,a by being removed/deleted.

Also, I think that you shouldn't complain about how slow the antivirus scans.
You want your computer clean and protected, right?