Computer viruses!

Poll: Have you ever goten a computer virus?

Yes
82.99%
No
17.01%
Total: 100% 147 vote(s)
Just to point out, BSOD doesnt necessarily means you have a virus. Half the time the causes are the user turning off the system before a system update is completely carried out. Primay culprits are corrupted system files and improper driver installations.

And just to point out, there are a carp load of differences with ad ware/spy ware and viruses which explains why you may need more than one application to stop it sometimes.

Ultimately, good surfing habits and maintenance habits are the way to go. Regardless of how powerful your anti Virus maybe, its pointless if you dont know how to stop it. Its not like as if you're being hijacked or anything you know?
I know the BSOD doent mean it has a virus. I mean spyware, slowed down her computer, making it crash.
I'd recommend malwarebytes and run it while in safe mode if it still could. If you know how to search through her application data on where it could possibly root itself, even better.
Um, her computer must be dead by now. I will try it, but there is a website that fakes itself.
Hello Everyone. I just want to say this:
My McFee antivirus detected 10 viruses without me knowing and deleted them. I know, its a good thing, but why not tell me?
I had 91 viruses on my computer, until my trial version of Norton bumped it down to 79. I do not want to get the full version because usually when I buy stuff from the computer, even if it's an antivirus system, I usually get viruses and it usually doesn't give me my product. Fortunately, all of the viruses are syntax, so they don't affect it completely or don't even affect me at all...
Try to use MalwareBytes. I know they won't bother you but its best to get them off of your computer. They can be activating backdoors right now.
P.S. MalwareBytes is free!
(Mar. 26, 2012  12:46 AM)DefStamina88 Wrote: I had 91 viruses on my computer, until my trial version of Norton bumped it down to 79. I do not want to get the full version because usually when I buy stuff from the computer, even if it's an antivirus system, I usually get viruses and it usually doesn't give me my product. Fortunately, all of the viruses are syntax, so they don't affect it completely or don't even affect me at all...

If you're using a Windows operating system, Microsoft Security Essentials combined with SUPERAntiSpyware is one of the most commonly recommended setups - and for good reason. It's free, and offers pretty much unrelenting coverage and updated databases.

Get Norton off of your computer by any means necessary before installing MSE, however.
Oh, yea, Im starting a new forum for pc talk and support. It is still under construction. Anyone who wants to become a moderator, pm or email me. http://pctalk.freeforums.org/index.php

I remember i went onto a website all of a sudden nyan cat just popped onto my screen and whenn you tryed to lower the volume it went higher i was laughing so much i peed myself.
LOL
Oh, https://www.nyan.cat?
and also, please do not post about things not included/ about this thread. I don't want any spam.
Anyways, has anyone tried ESET as an antivirus? Is it good??
I had a virus in my Compaq desktop 2 years ago, the reason i got it was beacuse i downloaded a lot of things and dint had an anti-virus in it. So one day when i downloaded a dinosaur screensaver[i am kind of dinosaur madboy]
the desktop suddenly went OFF. The next day when a software engineeer came, he just deleted the Avast antivirus program that i had downloaded and went away without simply doing nothing saying that was a waste antivirus. Dont believe it, that is the antivirus that currently protects my toshiba laptop.

TIP - Never download anything or use the internet if u dont have an antivirus.
Good advice, THE DRAGOON. Also, it seems that Google Chrome and MyWot combined is a great combination for steering away from harmful sites.
Oh dear. Viruses, software trouble, hardware trouble, cries of anger, rage, tear, and various others. Story of my life as a computer owner - and I AM a very security conscientious person; I have an antivirus, I use the MyWOT firefox addon, and I have two antispyware scanners (which do not run like an antivirus does - they're separate scanners that are used manually). I just seem to be very unlucky - maybe it's the age of my machine, maybe it's because I still use Windows XP, for want of a better PC (or money thereof to buy one)... I don't know.

The machines I have owned are rife with stories of viruses and trouble of all kinds. To say that I had to replace half the components of my CURRENT PC (RAM sticks, hard drive, alimentation block), had to reinstall Windows a total of three times, one of which very nearly failed, all thanks to viruses and/or hardware trouble, is only scraping the surface.

I will never forget that one day, years ago, where I found my laptop rife with over 22000 viruses, adware and spyware because the antivirus I had has been disabled somehow, and a programmed BSOD would crash the machine every 2 minutes past restarting, even in safe mode... this had led me to a reformatting, which I dreaded but had no choice in doing.

Nor will I forget how the first hard drive of the computer I'm using right now, managed to be infected by something that I suspect made it fail physically. Windows would just be stuck on loading, never bringing me to the desktop. Taking it apart revealed that it smelled like something burned or overheated. I never found out what was the matter with that thing. I decided that it was time to change the HD... nothing else to do.

And as for the latest big trouble I had, what I suspect is a virus acted like a bomb on my registry, leading to Windows refusing to load, claiming missing critical files, then rebooting. Had no choice but to reinstall, once again.
(Mar. 26, 2012  5:34 PM)Nyan Cat Wrote: Good advice, THE DRAGOON. Also, it seems that Google Chrome and MyWot combined is a great combination for steering away from harmful sites.

Thanks, really! then i will check it out.
(Mar. 26, 2012  5:36 PM)SU_Tempest Wrote: Oh dear. Viruses, software trouble, hardware trouble, cries of anger, rage, tear, and various others. Story of my life as a computer owner - and I AM a very security conscientious person; I have an antivirus, I use the MyWOT firefox addon, and I have two antispyware scanners (which do not run like an antivirus does - they're separate scanners that are used manually). I just seem to be very unlucky - maybe it's the age of my machine, maybe it's because I still use Windows XP, for want of a better PC (or money thereof to buy one)... I don't know.

The machines I have owned are rife with stories of viruses and trouble of all kinds. To say that I had to replace half the components of my CURRENT PC (RAM sticks, hard drive, alimentation block), had to reinstall Windows a total of three times, one of which very nearly failed, all thanks to viruses and/or hardware trouble, is only scraping the surface.

I will never forget that one day, years ago, where I found my laptop rife with over 22000 viruses, adware and spyware because the antivirus I had has been disabled somehow, and a programmed BSOD would crash the machine every 2 minutes past restarting, even in safe mode... this had led me to a reformatting, which I dreaded but had no choice in doing.

Nor will I forget how the first hard drive of the computer I'm used managed to be infected by something that I suspect made it fail physically. Windows would just be stuck on loading, never bringing me to the desktop. Taking it apart revealed that it smelled like something burned or overheated. I never found out what was the matter with that thing. I decided that it was time to change the HD... nothing else to do.

And as for the latest big trouble I had, what I suspect is a virus acted like a bomb on my registry, leading to Windows refusing to load, claiming missing critical files, then rebooting. Had no choice but to reinstall, once again.
Wow, that many? Im not sure if thats possible (not saying you were lying). What sites did you go on to get the viruses, anyway? I want to see if they were completely harmful or not.

(Mar. 26, 2012  5:40 PM)Nyan Cat Wrote: Wow, that many? Im not sure if thats possible (not saying you were lying). What sites did you go on to get the viruses, anyway? I want to see if they were completely harmful or not.

Gods, I don't remember. That was back in 2008, but the face I made when I used the Spybot S&D scanner and said he had detected 22k+ adware/spyware (that's not counting eventual additional viruses) was probably one of sheer terror. I know that the computer was the family's ; although I was the heaviest user I wasn't the only one. I have my idea of what kind of websites were visited and what kind of activity happened (downloads, programs used, etc) but for the sake of decency, I won't post it in detail!
I just got it! I didn't kill my old computer. I just realized it was scareware. Ugg, stupid me. Anyways, has anyone found any test websites for me to see if they are potentially infected?
I once had 6 trojans hit me at once Its scary it is I hate viruses They Make me have nightmares! im glad i got AVG and Malwarebytes they are life savers...
(Mar. 26, 2012  6:28 PM)Nyan Cat Wrote: Do you remember how they attacked you? Website, file, or hacked?

I have no clue and this point don't care! all i know it was it was a picture file....but still no more on this yes?
Hmm. I don't know Cute
Anyways, I want to see if anyone has ESET, and if it is good.
I have done some research and most sources say its pretty good. I just want to confirm, because I might get it.
(Mar. 26, 2012  6:39 PM)Nyan Cat Wrote: Hmm. I don't know Cute
Anyways, I want to see if anyone has ESET, and if it is good.
I have done some research and most sources say its pretty good. I just want to confirm, because I might get it.
Whats that suppose to mean....anyway i hate viruses i cringe everytime i see a video about them and i nearly have a heart attack when I get one.
Me too. Though watching videos about them is entertaining and helps others learn about viruses.