Classical

Alright, this topic was inspired by me ripping my CD's into Apple Loseless but I don't care, lol.

So, I was born and raised on Classical music. Bach, Beethoven, you name it. I didn't even listen to any different music until I found J-Rock, but now I'm going back to my childhood roots.

I play Classical music in an Orchestra, and take lessons from a said Orchestra member, so I may have a tendency to not like vocals in my songs.

Post your favorite pieces here!
Isn't it true that listening to classical music at a very early age gets your brain active, and causes you to learn faster and become smarter?

Eh, I never listened to classical much Wink, but I do like Beethoven's 9th, it's a classic Chocked
I'm not a huge classical fan but I do have a certain appreciation for it as I was a concert band member for almost seven years. lol

Some pieces are really beautiful.
Elmo Wrote:Isn't it true that listening to classical music at a very early age gets your brain active, and causes you to learn faster and become smarter?

Eh, I never listened to classical much Wink, but I do like Beethoven's 9th, it's a classic Chocked

I'm not sure what it does exactly, but I do believe it helps.

As for Beethoven, yeah he's the man. Für Elise, Cello Sonata in A, etc.
Artie Wrote:
Elmo Wrote:Isn't it true that listening to classical music at a very early age gets your brain active, and causes you to learn faster and become smarter?

I'm not sure what it does exactly, but I do believe it helps.

As for Beethoven, yeah he's the man. Für Elise, Cello Sonata in A, etc.

My sister plays the Piano a lot, and I like a few of the songs, but the names sound all the same to me. They're all like, "[insert some weird word] in G"

She plays a lot of Chopin.
Lol, there aren't a lot of songs like that. The letter refers to the key they are in.

Chopin isn't one of my favorite composers.
Classical music is great. My father left behind all of his CDs, since it was his favorite genre of music. Back when my brother and I were kids, he used to drive us around in the car and play classical music until we fell asleep, with no destination in mind. THATS WHY IM SMRT

Also, dude, 256kbps with VBR produces pretty much the exact same sound as Lossless.
Are those memories of your biological father? If so, +10 father of brownbear.

Also, leave me alone. loseless >>>>>>>>> 256
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

'Nuff said.
that song is something special, It's just amazing.
Keep this topic alive plz 8(
Favourite composers:

Rachmaninov (obsessed with the 3rd piano concerto)
Chopin
Brahms
J.S Bach
Liszt
Ligeti
Alkan ('Allegro Barbaro' is just... wow, I can't get my head round how difficult it must be to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSqkzsWXlU)

And because I know Artie likes Beethoven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg (You might have seen it already but I think this is one of the best performances of this movement on youtube)

It's really unlikely unless you're really into classical music, but is anyone a fan of Sir John Tavener?
Was brought up on classical, it's only recently (one or two years or so?) that I've been listening to more rock music. This is probably because of introduction to JRock (it's actually very hard to find this genre locally), I personally don't like almost all western rock pieces I hear.

I do percussion in my high school orchestra, and used to be in my country's national youth chinese orchestra. Quit this year to prepare for my physics olympiad training, I need to work hard on that to get selected to represent my country.

I like the chinese orchestra better than the western. Obviously, it has different instruments (although some, such as Cello, Double Bass and many percussion instruments are taken from western). Also, some wind instruments have used parts from Western instruments, but changing reed and bell.

My preference... well, it's because the music form is more raw and emotional, to me it has more energy than symphonic orchestra or concert band, but more feeling and melody than brass bands etc. It's very human-sounding, not sure how to describe it. Maybe, you can find recordings online. It's probably influenced my cymbal selection for my drumset too, the type I'm using are less shimmery and clean sounding, but warmer and more raw.

Of course, I like the Western symphonic too. But, this type is special for me.

Artie Wrote:So, I was born and raised on Classical music. Bach, Beethoven, you name it. I didn't even listen to any different music until I found J-Rock, but now I'm going back to my childhood roots.

I play Classical music in an Orchestra, and take lessons from a said Orchestra member, so I may have a tendency to not like vocals in my songs.

Post your favorite pieces here!

The reason why I listen to JRock is because I don't understand the lyrics so I treat the voice as another instrument. With Japanese vocalists too, it's easy to do so, more so than most Western vocalists.

Artie Wrote:Chopin isn't one of my favorite composers.

Awesome piano etudes, I like technically difficult stuff. Of course, I can't play them very well, but it's fun and I don't really take piano very seriously, it's just something I do when I'm bored.
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
Artie Wrote:Chopin isn't one of my favorite composers.

Awesome piano etudes, I like technically difficult stuff. Of course, I can't play them very well, but it's fun and I don't really take piano very seriously, it's just something I do when I'm bored.

I love the etudes - I have some wonderful arrangements of these performed using only the left hand. It's incredible! The performer is Marc-Andre Hamelin.
John Williams. I know hes not a Classical music composer, but Damn does he ever make a good MOvie sound track. I loved Episode 3 music.
Litrid Wrote:John Williams. I know hes not a Classical music composer.

Um... Yes he is.

Not in the traditional sense, but he does compose classical music.
Artie Wrote:Are those memories of your biological father? If so, +10 father of brownbear.
what the hell
I asked Michael to send me over some more Vivaldi as what I have already, I love.

Nigel Kennedy (an amazing violinist) performing the 3rd movement of Spring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7aVbJfkU...re=related

EDIT: We're pissing ourselves at this hilariously awful performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Y2WqK4K...re=related

The little glissando doesn't sound too dissimiliar to when Tom and Jerry are chasing each other on a piano. I also love how he goes mental at 4'34", LMAO.

I'll stop being cruel now.
If you haven't heard them, my two FAVORITE piano pieces are:

Sonata In A K.331 (Turkish March)- Mozart
Waltz In C# Minor- Chopin

Great post Nic, and I am much more of a fan of Orchestra versus a Band. I just feel having the strings is a key part to the overall sound.

I'm currently playing Mozart's Aria and Menuetto. It's not too bad, but still hard lol
Artie Wrote:Waltz In C# Minor- Chopin

Really beautiful piece, I love Chopin. One of my favourites is 'Waltz in A flat - Op. 64/3'.

What grade in clarinet are you?
mastur chief Wrote:
Artie Wrote:Are those memories of your biological father? If so, +10 father of brownbear.
what the hell

also LOL @ you. I call Toto Brownbear (Scrubs reference)

youtube links to songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVBxqNKW...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juLRqSV45vo
Alice Wrote:
Artie Wrote:Waltz In C# Minor- Chopin

Really beautiful piece, I love Chopin. One of my favourites is 'Waltz in A flat - Op. 64/3'.

What grade in clarinet are you?

Not sure what grade you mean.

I've been playing for about five years, and take weekly lessons from an orchestra member.

I play Class-A solos at times, if that helps lol.
Artie Wrote:Not sure what grade you mean.

I've been playing for about five years, and take weekly lessons from an orchestra member.

Official grading that's acquired through teaching/studying and examinations. If you've taken any, you may just play more for leisure, I don't know. Smile
Alice Wrote:
Artie Wrote:Not sure what grade you mean.

Official grading that's acquired through teaching/studying and examinations. If you've taken any, you may just play more for leisure, I don't know. Smile

I don't take a "class" for school, if thats' what you mean. I used to be in band during grade school, but these days its just Orchestra and Lessons that I'm playing.

And for "grades" I've gotten 5/5 most times (lowest is 5).
Artie Wrote:I don't take a "class" for school, if thats' what you mean. I used to be in band during grade school, but these days its just Orchestra and Lessons that I'm playing.

Perhaps it's different in America but I thought it was the same.

It's not done through schools, but through official music examination boards. Normally, you go to tutor (let's just say a piano tutor), learn scales/arpeggios and simple pieces before you are put forward for a grade one examination before a board of examiners.

Here's an example of a grade one piece for 2007/8 (it changes each year): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38WHRARBik

You're tested on various things obviously and can pass with a merit or a distinction etc. The highest grade you can achieve is an 8 but obviously many pieces go beyond that skill level.
Alice Wrote:
Artie Wrote:I don't take a "class" for school, if thats' what you mean. I used to be in band during grade school, but these days its just Orchestra and Lessons that I'm playing.

Perhaps it's different in America but I thought it was the same.

It's not done through schools, but through official music examination boards. Normally, you go to tutor (let's just say a piano tutor), learn scales/arpeggios and simple pieces before you are put forward for a grade one examination before a board of examiners.

Here's an example of a grade one piece for 2007/8 (it changes each year): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38WHRARBik

You're tested on various things obviously and can pass with a merit or a distinction etc. The highest grade you can achieve is an 8 but obviously many pieces go beyond that skill level.

This sounds very similar to Band Festival.

The only difference being that you aren't rated individually; the score is given to the band as a whole from 3 different judges. 2 of which offer written grades and commentary (Scale of 1-5, with 5 being the worst) while the other records his comments and grade during your performance.

After the band plays for the three judges it then moves on to sight reading where two random pieces you've never seen before are put in front of you and you have 5 minutes to look over both pieces and then play them for a judge and a grade.

All of this gets averaged into one final grade. My senior year of High School when my school band went we got straight 3's, which is pretty much average. Unhappy