Clannad + Clannad After Story [Spoiler Warning]

Poll: Did you like this anime?

Yes
62.50%
Yes
37.50%
Total: 100% 8 vote(s)

I finished watching Clannad and the After Story recently. Its an amazing anime and I loved every second of it. I was a bit disappointed though, because the ending was (in my opinion) ruined with the whole magical aspect. I do understand that they probably didn't want to leave the viewers grieving over the unfair life of the protagonist, etc ... so to please everyone, they warped it into a "happy ending".

The general plot:

Tomoya Okazaki is a third year high school student resentful of his life. His mother passed away from a car accident when he was younger, causing his father to resort to alcohol and gambling. This results in fights between the two until Tomoya's shoulder is injured in a fight. Since then, Tomoya has had distant relationships with his father, causing him to become a delinquent over time. While on a walk to school, he meets a strange girl named Nagisa Furukawa who is a year older, but is repeating due to illness. Due to this, she is often alone as most of her friends have moved on. The two begin hanging out and slowly, as time goes by, Tomoya finds his life shifting in a new direction.

Did I mention the ending Dango song is absolutely catchy?!

So, did anyone watch this anime? Did you like it? Discuss!
This anime/VN is godly.

Nice spoilers btw.
(Feb. 10, 2013  7:07 PM)Shirayuki Wrote: Nice spoilers btw.

Is this supposed to be sarcastic. I didn't want to leave the OP empty and say "Discuss anime". I provided the general plot without revealing much.

Back to anime: My favorite character would have to be Kotomi Ichinose because I like how smart she is, and her back story was quite well crafted, in my opinion. And if you watch the After Story, you'll see how she is more "connected" to the storyline. Yeah, you can argue that even without her, the anime would have made sense but OK she is still very cute >3<

>pic related:
When I had first heard of this anime, I shrugged it off. Why could this one be anymore special than the other ones I watched? Plus anyways, it wasn't my type of anime to watch. But after watching the first season, I fell for it. And after the second season...all I can say is I had so many emotions after the first eight episodes. IMO, for Tomoya, I rather see him have a happy ending. After Story is by far the best anime I have ever seen, I don't regret it one bit, and I would watch it a million times more. And STILL cry.

Favorite character? I really liked the Tomoyo Another Story Arc :3 I felt that if he hadn't gotten with Nagisa, I would have preferred Kotomi or Tomoyo over everone else. Ryou was...eh. Kyou and him I just don't think was a good fit. Kotomi is still a little iffy for me, but him and Tomoyo I think would make a beautiful couple.
Clannad and Clannad afterstory are truely amazing animes that make you feel for the chracters as if they were real people, and those are the kind of animes that I love to get involved in! ^-^
(Feb. 17, 2013  4:40 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: Clannad and Clannad afterstory are truely amazing animes that make you feel for the chracters as if they were real people, and those are the kind of animes that I love to get involved in! ^-^

Yes, exactly! That's how I felt while watching it.
Throughout that whole second part of the anime, it was so emotional.
Yes, exactly! That's how I felt while watching it.

What i said:

Yep, same here.... but it did get better when Ushio was rejoined with her father but then..... yeah I think you have a good idea of what i'm talking about.
(Feb. 17, 2013  5:15 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: Yes, exactly! That's how I felt while watching it.

What i said:

Yep, same here.... but it did get better when Ushio was rejoined with her father but then..... yeah I think you have a good idea of what i'm talking about.

Yeah I understand. Or at least I hope I do. I know a lot of people don't like how it ended. But some just consider the second-to-last episode the ending.
I know this is sort of off topic but has anyone seen the movie?
(Feb. 17, 2013  6:09 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: I know this is sort of off topic but has anyone seen the movie?

Nah, I haven't. I want to though. I know it's more of the ending that everybody would like for the realism.
I would definitely recomend that if you wan't to have a more fulfiling ending, but it's still not what actually happened in the series so you will still get the sad thoughts every once and a while sadly.
(Feb. 17, 2013  6:33 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: I would definitely recomend that if you wan't to have a more fulfiling ending, but it's still not what actually happened in the series so you will still get the sad thoughts every once and a while sadly.

Hmmm okay! I'll check it. What about the Another Story Arcs? Have you seen those?
Yes, which one do you prefer?
(Feb. 17, 2013  7:00 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: Yes, which one do you prefer?

The Tomoyo Arc, by far. The thing that drew me was that they were such a cute couple but broke up for various reasons, and after all that time still loved each other. The ending made me wish he got with Tomoyo instead of Nagisa haha. You?
Same as you XD couldn't have said it better myself!
Gahh no (((p(>o<)q))) I didn't like the Tomoya x Tomoyo pair at all (don't hate me please). But I felt like it was either Kotomi or Nagisa. Kotomi for obvious childhood reasons but then Nagisa because she's weak and all (are we supposed to feel bad for her?). Yeah it was a cute little arc but to me it seemed rushed and forced (but then again, it was only one episode) xD

Yeah, but I don't want this to turn into a shipping war thread ⊙﹏⊙

Oh yeah here is my summary for this show:

Quote:hi my name is clannad after story and I will take your feels, rip them out of your heart, twist them into pretzels, then break them, throw them on the ground, stomp on them, set them on fire and then finally take the ashes and blend them with tears to drain down the sink

Sounds about right, but i do like the TomoyaxTomoyo pair the most and this just might turn into a shipping war XD
(Feb. 18, 2013  4:36 AM)Insomniac. Wrote: Gahh no (((p(>o<)q))) I didn't like the Tomoya x Tomoyo pair at all (don't hate me please). But I felt like it was either Kotomi or Nagisa. Kotomi for obvious childhood reasons but then Nagisa because she's weak and all (are we supposed to feel bad for her?). Yeah it was a cute little arc but to me it seemed rushed and forced (but then again, it was only one episode) xD

Yeah, but I don't want this to turn into a shipping war thread ⊙﹏⊙

Oh yeah here is my summary for this show:

Quote:hi my name is clannad after story and I will take your feels, rip them out of your heart, twist them into pretzels, then break them, throw them on the ground, stomp on them, set them on fire and then finally take the ashes and blend them with tears to drain down the sink

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions so Tongue_out I wouldn't lie; the Tomoya x Kotomi pairing is cute. But I preferred Tomoya and Nagisa. I just could never understand for the life of me why so many people hated on the pairing. I loved it! Exactly for the reasons you said, too. Oh, and don't mind me, but what is a shipping war...?

That summary. That summary says it all.
(Feb. 18, 2013  7:07 AM)BBPegasisMaster Wrote: Oh, and don't mind me, but what is a shipping war...?

That summary. That summary says it all.

Shipping is pairing two characters together. Everybody does have their opinions on which character should "pair up" with another and we should all respect that! But yeah on some sites (*cough* tumblr *cough*), people (*cough* fangirls *cough*) get aggressive about what characters they thing should go together and start arguing. Some crazy shippers out there will ship anything (yeah even pizza) ¬、¬ So I didn't want to start arguing about those kinds of things because a.) it will derail the thread and b.) its awkward to fight over animated characters.

Yeah, essentially that summary is what I thought throughout the whole show. No, its not okay to mess with my feelings like that asdfghjkl (´;д;`)

I thought the little story about the cat was so cuuuuuute ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Ah okay! But those are girls...I don't mean to be sexist but that would be something they'd do XD (like when those extremist fangirls fight about Justin Bieber and One Direction o.o) I doubt we'll turn into a shipping war thread though. We all get each other, right? Grin

After Story is the only show I've seen mash up someone's feelings like that. From happiness to sadness to feeling crushed back to happiness only to be drowned by a massive wave of complete and utter sadness and disappointment. Only show lol.

Can you imagine if she had rephrased her wish? He'd have been with her in human form instead of cat form..but at least he still stuck with her ^o^
Yeah, i remeber the story with the cat. In fact, thats probobly the only good thing that wasn't destroyed XD
Also, does anybody remember Yuko!?

Oh Ghawd, i said Yuko..... i meant Fuko
(Feb. 19, 2013  12:43 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: Yeah, i remeber the story with the cat. In fact, thats probobly the only good thing that wasn't destroyed XD

wat. no it was the saddest thing ever omg

I think you mean Fuko, the weird starfish girl. Yeah her story was touching in Clannad and it brought Nagisa and Tomoya together. But later, her random "magical" appearances were odd. Especially near the end of the afterstory where she went on a walk with her sister (and if memory serves) she said "I don't know what it is, but it smells cute".

wat ._.

And its cute how she often refers to herself as "Fuko" and not "I".

Episode 22 also brought the feels rushing in (´;ω;`) oh and after the part where Kyou hit Tomoya with her bike in the beginning (*≧▽≦)ノシ))

(Feb. 19, 2013  1:19 AM)Insomniac. Wrote:
(Feb. 19, 2013  12:43 AM)DanielBramblett Wrote: Yeah, i remeber the story with the cat. In fact, thats probobly the only good thing that wasn't destroyed XD

wat. no it was the saddest thing ever omg

I think you mean Fuko, the weird starfish girl. Yeah her story was touching in Clannad and it brought Nagisa and Tomoya together. But later, her random "magical" appearances were odd. Especially near the end of the afterstory where she went on a walk with her sister (and if memory serves) she said "I don't know what it is, but it smells cute".

wat ._.

And its cute how she often refers to herself as "Fuko" and not "I".

Episode 22 also brought the feels rushing in (´;ω;`) oh and after the part where Kyou hit Tomoya with her bike in the beginning (*≧▽≦)ノシ))

Tht bonus amv_ Made my eyes get a little watery
Fuko! OMG! I loved her in Clannad; it was always funny for me how she treated Tomoya. But yeah you're right Insomniac., it was weird. I'd have actually preferred for her not to interfere, like when she appeared to help with the crane game and got the starfish instead XD I was like "...wut 0_0"

Which Episode 22 are we talking about?

I don't think I want to click on that AMV.........

Edit: So watching the AMV made me realize, I don't think I will ever see another anime as great as Clannad. I know for a fact I'll never see one that twists your feelings around like Clannad did though.
In my opinion it had a happier ending than the Tomoya and Nagisa did, well thats what i was comparing it to any way. FUKO! is awesome! ^-^

I'm not sure why i said Yuko, because i knew her name was Fuko.
I was probobly distracted by another anime XD