Cause Hes a Dark Gangsta

I might be going to see this for the fifth time in IMAX this week.

I want to get excited but I'm not sure if its going to happen or not so I'm going to curb my enthusiasm for now. lol
Hey I don't know if you guys heard, but apparently Morgan Freeman (who played Lucius Fox in TDK) is in serious condition after a car accident.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_o...an_freeman

I hope everything goes ok for him. It would be a shame to lose another of this movie's great actors. Unhappy
(Aug. 04, 2008  9:15 PM)Roan Wrote: Hey I don't know if you guys heard, but apparently Morgan Freeman (who played Lucius Fox in TDK) is in serious condition after a car accident.

I hope everything goes ok for him. It would be a shame to lose another of this movie's great actors. Unhappy

Hes fine, im watching channel 5 news right now.
(Aug. 04, 2008  9:15 PM)Roan Wrote: Hey I don't know if you guys heard, but apparently Morgan Freeman (who played Lucius Fox in TDK) is in serious condition after a car accident.

jesus thats terrible i love morgan freeman
WARNING THIS DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS.

I was just in the states and I saw the Dark Knight. I liked it for the message it was attempting to send. I liked Heath Ledgers acting in it. However there was a great deal of it far-fetched. I'd like to know how a total wack job like the Joker knew so damn much about explosives. How he kept getting more and more henchmen especially after he killed SOO many, and how he managed to secure enough explosives to bring down an entire hospital.

Harvey Dent was AMAZING. The total fall from grace and how he went from making his own luck to seeing that Chance is the only completely unbiased thing in a world as corrupt as Gotham City was spectacular.
(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: I'd like to know how a total wack job like the Joker knew so damn much about explosives.
Even nutjobs can be geniuses. We don't know anything about his past, so chalk it up to that.

(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: How he kept getting more and more henchmen especially after he killed SOO many...
They were all mental patients from Arkham that he corrupted and manipulated. Or, they were former gangsters looking for a new boss.

(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: and how he managed to secure enough explosives to bring down an entire hospital.
The bank robbery in the opening scene paid for them.
(Aug. 06, 2008  3:01 PM)Mr. Toto Wrote:
(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: I'd like to know how a total wack job like the Joker knew so damn much about explosives.
Even nutjobs can be geniuses. We don't know anything about his past, so chalk it up to that.

(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: How he kept getting more and more henchmen especially after he killed SOO many...
They were all mental patients from Arkham that he corrupted and manipulated. Or, they were former gangsters looking for a new boss.

(Aug. 06, 2008  2:51 PM)Train Wrote: and how he managed to secure enough explosives to bring down an entire hospital.
The bank robbery in the opening scene paid for them.
Still far-fetched and I'd really like to hear the true story behind his scars. He gave 2 different reasons and was going on a third before Batman shut him up with his funky gauntlet (with the "ninja" stars). Oh and he got some punk kids to help him with that one assassination of the African American gangster head. (which was nuts because if professionals couldn't do it I don't see how children could).
Hey Train...

ITS A MOVIE.

These sort of unrealistic things happen.
In most of the Joker origin stories in the comics, the Joker used to be a skilled chemist before going insane as a result of some accident. That's why he could always make things like explosives and giggle gas.
I honestly didn't find anything in the movie to be that unrealistic.
I think your over-thinking it a bit, Train
(Aug. 06, 2008  7:23 PM)Guitar_Legend Wrote: I honestly didn't find anything in the movie to be that unrealistic.

I agree.

As far as superhero flicks go, The Dark Knight is by far the most rooted in reality.
There is no actual story to how he got his scars or white skin or whatever. The Joker is super sane. He makes up a new reality every day. Thats why he told more than one story.
hahaha

Those are awesome but no way am I spending that kind of cash for one.

EDIT:

Dunno why I just thought of this, but I have nowhere else to use it so here:

"Why so Serious?"
Not really much else that can be said about this movie than what's already been said. It's great. I'm trying to find someone to go see it with for a second time. Heath Ledger, if I believed in an afterlife, is probably crying right now (Yeah, I'm one of the people who thinks it was suicide. No one just takes two deadly pills), but damn did he go out with a bang. Stupid symbolism, but it's like Heath Ledger died and The Joker was born.
(Jul. 30, 2008  11:07 PM)SexyMichael Wrote:
Artie Wrote:i still do NOT like the bat-voice, ugh.

he sounds ridiculous (and yes, I realize why he needs one)

LOL

RAWR GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

(Aug. 06, 2008  7:37 PM)Roan Wrote:
(Aug. 06, 2008  7:23 PM)Guitar_Legend Wrote: I honestly didn't find anything in the movie to be that unrealistic.

I agree.

As far as superhero flicks go, The Dark Knight is by far the most rooted in reality.

That's the thing. Nolan is firmly taking the stance that this is "not a superhero movie". In the vein of super powers, unrealistic technology, and unrealistic creatures...yeah it's a very realistic film.

But as far as how things happen/why things happen/when things happen there are more than a few hiccups. These don't necessarily take away from the film but it does take away from the notion that the film is "realistic".

For example we can point out the omniscience of the Joker.

SPOILERS

In the beginning of the film a 4 or 5 goons (Joker included) knock up a bank run by the Mafia/big gang. The building is GIGANTIC (as is evidenced by the panning shot of how big the main floor is). Yet, we only see one guard? Gotham is obviously a tough city so why would a giant gang/mafia only use...one guard on their entire grounds? There is no excuse/explanation for that. It was a bit of lazy writing. Which is fine.

The second point I'll bring up from this scene is when the bus drives through the wall and hits the other goon. The bus is halfway through this gigantic building for at least two or three minutes (enough to kill the bus driver, plant the smoke grenade in the Bosses mouth, leave, come back, leave again.). Then the Joker calmly pulls out and falls right in line with a group of buses that just happened to be driving by on an apparently busy street.

Really cool visual. But the question is: On this apparently busy street how does:

1)Nobody hear the gunfire in the bank?
2)Nobody see a GIGANTIC SCHOOL BUS CRASHED THROUGH A WALL.
3)See said schoolbus drive out of said wall and fall into line with rubble falling off of it.

Really cool scene? Yes. Completely implausible? Yes as well.

You might think that I overanalyzed the scene just to find something wrong with it. I didn't. On opening night (at 2 in the morning) these were my thoughts as I saw the scene. And this was just one scene.

Anyways. Regardless. I really enjoyed the movie. It was good. It just was not as flawless as the hype would have you believe. When claiming the film as realistic/the end all of cinema...you have to remember: it's not. But it's still damn good.

Edit: To the guy that said he believes that Heath committed suicide intentionally and mentioned "nobody taking two deadly pills on accident". Why do you think that? I thought the pills he took were prescription. One for his sleeping problems and the other for a cold/flu. While Heath was filming some foreign film (around the time of his death) just about everyone was sick with the flue/severe colds because of the conditions of the film (outdoors, cold, wet). It makes sense that he wouldn't think anything of it. Anyways, that's just what I think.
Quote:In the beginning of the film a 4 or 5 goons (Joker included) knock up a bank run by the Mafia/big gang. The building is GIGANTIC (as is evidenced by the panning shot of how big the main floor is). Yet, we only see one guard? Gotham is obviously a tough city so why would a giant gang/mafia only use...one guard on their entire grounds? There is no excuse/explanation for that. It was a bit of lazy writing. Which is fine.

Actually, I think I might be able to come up with a plausible explanation: as you said, the bank is run by the Mafia. If everybody knows this, only a madman would think of robbing it regardless of how many guards there were, since everyone else is well aware of the fact that if they try it, they'll be dead men in no time. Ironically enough, a madman eventually does rob the bank, turning this little "security blanket" of mob-induced fear on it's head.
(Aug. 07, 2008  9:08 PM)jasonresno Wrote:
(Aug. 06, 2008  7:37 PM)Roan Wrote:

I agree.

The second point I'll bring up from this scene is when the bus drives through the wall and hits the other goon. The bus is halfway through this gigantic building for at least two or three minutes (enough to kill the bus driver, plant the smoke grenade in the Bosses mouth, leave, come back, leave again.). Then the Joker calmly pulls out and falls right in line with a group of buses that just happened to be driving by on an apparently busy street.

Really cool visual. But the question is: On this apparently busy street how does:

1)Nobody hear the gunfire in the bank?
2)Nobody see a GIGANTIC SCHOOL BUS CRASHED THROUGH A WALL.
3)See said schoolbus drive out of said wall and fall into line with rubble falling off of it.

Edit: To the guy that said he believes that Heath committed suicide intentionally and mentioned "nobody taking two deadly pills on accident". Why do you think that? I thought the pills he took were prescription. One for his sleeping problems and the other for a cold/flu. While Heath was filming some foreign film (around the time of his death) just about everyone was sick with the flue/severe colds because of the conditions of the film (outdoors, cold, wet). It makes sense that he wouldn't think anything of it. Anyways, that's just what I think.

I can explain that. A lot of buses like that means a field trip of some sort it happens quite a bit you could end up in a line like that if you timed the date and time of day you do the robbery. Secondly like you said it's a mafia bank who the hell is gonna look twice at a bunch of guns being shot off in dirt ball city like Gotham especially if the mafia is involved at all. Same goes for a bank with a bus driven into the side of it. I would seriously doubt THAT would be the weirdest thing people would see in Gotham.

I think the entire strain of playing the joker had something to do with his death. He like didn't sleep during the making of the movie and was a bit off the wall through out anyway because of it. Lack of sleep like that is also bad for the immune system.
Ironically, he overdosed on sleeping pills (AFAIK).
(Aug. 07, 2008  10:32 PM)Doompenguin Wrote:
Quote:In the beginning of the film a 4 or 5 goons (Joker included) knock up a bank run by the Mafia/big gang. The building is GIGANTIC (as is evidenced by the panning shot of how big the main floor is). Yet, we only see one guard? Gotham is obviously a tough city so why would a giant gang/mafia only use...one guard on their entire grounds? There is no excuse/explanation for that. It was a bit of lazy writing. Which is fine.

Actually, I think I might be able to come up with a plausible explanation: as you said, the bank is run by the Mafia. If everybody knows this, only a madman would think of robbing it regardless of how many guards there were, since everyone else is well aware of the fact that if they try it, they'll be dead men in no time. Ironically enough, a madman eventually does rob the bank, turning this little "security blanket" of mob-induced fear on it's head.

This almost feels weird to discuss but if you wanted to knock up the joint, you'd case it out first, and if there was only one guard in the building...I just think that there'd probably be more than one guy standing at the front *shrug*.

I have no problem with the fact that the bus pulled out JUST in time. The problem I have is that for two or three minutes a bus was crashed through the front of a building right next to the road. It's lulzy that nobody would notice it.
(Aug. 07, 2008  11:50 PM)jasonresno Wrote: This almost feels weird to discuss but if you wanted to knock up the joint, you'd case it out first, and if there was only one guard in the building...I just think that there'd probably be more than one guy standing at the front *shrug*.

All I'm saying is that if a bank is run by the Mafia, and everybody knows the bank is run by the Mafia, and everybody also knows just how ruthless the Mafia can be if you screw with them, then things like security guards tend to be nothing more than paid decorations.
Man its a movie, all kinds of ridiculous stuff like this happens all the time.

When I made my comment about the movie being realistic, I wasn't calling it the end-all realism experience. There are a lot of things that happen that probably couldn't in real life (SPOILERS: For instance, the Sky Hook. How could Bruce Wayne pay someone to fly a huge airplane like that that close to a building without being brought down by Chinese air control? END SPOILERS).

My point was that as far as these things go in super hero movies, The Dark Knight has the least amount of them and the ones that ARE there aren't that unbelievable.

Its not just super hero movies that are guilty of this. Besides, when I watched the film for the first time I didn't notice nor care about these sort of things. When its a Batman film, or any super hero film for that matter, you kind of go in expecting at least a few unrealistic events to occur.