Beywiki Languages

We have our beywiki in 3 languages . 1) English 2) Italiano and 3) Turkish . I think we should have our beywiki in many more languages . I think we should work on it . What do you think ?? Lets Discuss
What about Spanish, and French?
What about Arabic?
This was actually an idea for a future Project of the Moment I had for Beywiki hah.

However, people, stop just suggesting languages and only post if you actually know a language very well and are ready to translate Beywiki articles into that language. For instance, I speak French, so I will suggest it, but it would be hypocritical of me to just continue naming Korean, Russian, Punjabit, etc.
Google translate would work right?
(Jun. 10, 2013  7:35 PM)nupmuk Wrote: Google translate would work right?
I would say no because sometimes Google Translate can be VERY unreliable

Are you serious ? You do not know anything about languages other than English if you even consider using Google Translate.
I could definitely translate things to Spanish, I can read and write it perfectly, and I'm sure others here, could help with Spanish as well!
Latin anyone?
I could, but it's a dead language, so it'd be useless unless the Pope needs to know the uses of R2F or something.
I may be able to do Polish though, but I'm still kind of rusty.
Personally, I think it would be more pertinent to get the articles we have up to date before we translate them. If translation was to be done, it would necessarily be on the newest articles only - and those would need to have their sections checked for outdated information too.
Even more pertinent would be to translate the Official Rules for competitive play before even thinking about translating the encyclopaedia.

There also needs to be some forethought to the languages we decide to pick, such as "is there a community out there we can reach out with our translations?" and "will they have an incentive to stay once they are here?"

As the perfect case example for this, we had a Russian Blader who registered a few months back who told us the hobby was pretty much dead in Russia. Lots of people speak Russian, but there's no point in translating anything into it if nobody has anything to gain from it.

I love translation (as a Translation B.A. undergrad, I certainly hope so), but wasting time, and resourses, not so much.
^ This is basically my stance overall too, btw. My above post pertains to the sphere of beywiki alone rather than the entire site. Still, if members feel like translating articles to other languages and can do a good job of it, I'm not going to argue, though as you've said it would be more beneficial if they did the rules first.
Of course, finding people to verify the translations isn't easy either, and I'm guessing that's a significant part of the reason for the limited number of languages beywiki articles are translated to currently.

im cryin :')

(Jun. 10, 2013  11:33 PM)Nocto Wrote: Even more pertinent would be to translate the Official Rules for competitive play before even thinking about translating the encyclopaedia.

There also needs to be some forethought to the languages we decide to pick, such as "is there a community out there we can reach out with our translations?" and "will they have an incentive to stay once they are here?"

I totally agree. And if we were to make the WBO more open to other languages (as it is open to other countries and communities), we should make basic resources a first.

Interested to see where this potentially could go !
I will translate some Articles into Urdu Smile
Also @ Kai-V its not Punjabit is Punjabi Smile
Also when translated means that it letters are still english alphabet? Not urdu alphabet right?
I can help with Spanish.
I can help with Spanish and can proofread Dutch and Polish, but cant write in it (can speak and read it but not write it, many years since I studied the grammar). But, in all honesty I think it is more important to establish translated rule sets for more languages and open up a Spanish language forum as well before considering starting the articles.
I can make it in Hindi.
We can assign different different members for different different languages
Okay I want to make something 100% clear with everyone.

This is not the priority. If this happens this should be a side project. All the people volunteering to translate something should work on normal beywiki articles instead, since the activity for beywiki has been lower than it should be for at least a year now. If you can help in any way then please do so. Even if it's just a paragraph. Every little helps.

I realize that was very blunt, but clearly none of you realize how much trouble the normal parts of beywiki are in, if there's 6 people volunteering for something minor like this while the beywiki section gets so little activity compared to other major parts that it might as well be dead.

Please take heed of what i've said.
(Jun. 11, 2013  8:51 AM)Ultra Wrote: Okay I want to make something 100% clear with everyone.

This is not the priority. If this happens this should be a side project. All the people volunteering to translate something should work on normal beywiki articles instead, since the activity for beywiki has been lower than it should be for at least a year now. If you can help in any way then please do so. Even if it's just a paragraph. Every little helps.

I realize that was very blunt, but clearly none of you realize how much trouble the normal parts of beywiki are in, if there's 6 people volunteering for something minor like this while the beywiki section gets so little activity compared to other major parts that it might as well be dead.

Please take heed of what i've said.
I totally agree with you, Ultra.
I also think one thing that many people will not like *guys, don't kill me xD* I'm pretty sure that in the 99% of cases the translated article of beywiki are totally misleading and confusing due to the fact that if a page is upgraded, almost certainly the translated page will not be updated (for an infinite number of causes, and this really happens), and this takes the users to the total confusion;
So, IMO, the best that any user of the WBO have to do is try to do his best with the international beywiki, because, as Ultra said, translation is only a side project, that definitely needs to be done with extreme precision and dedication, but not now.
(Jun. 11, 2013  7:23 AM)beybladeindia Wrote: I can make it in Hindi.
We can assign different different members for different different languages
Hindi's almost the same thing as Urdu.
(Jun. 11, 2013  1:28 AM)diblee123 Wrote: Also when translated means that it letters are still english alphabet? Not urdu alphabet right?

Are you serious about that?
You plan to translate English Articles to Urdu using English alphabet, making it incomprehensible to both English and Urdu-speakers?

Well, the idea of translating articles into other languages is really cool.
It has its advantages as people mentioned already, but it wouldn't exactly be THAT helpful.
I really don't know how much people have benefited from the existing Italian and Turkish articles, so I might not understand its importance as of now.

Even I completely agree with Ultra and Nocto. Other articles on the BeyWiki certainly need more attention than this. We'd rather focus on adding more matter than resort to translating all articles in several other languages- without possibly knowing if its impact would actually be worth the effort.

At the same time, I would actually wait for Kai-V to announce this scheme as a Project of the Moment, so that this can be carried out in a systematic way. Random people volunteering to translate articles into the several languages they know isn't feasible, or logical. Heck, India alone has like 20-30 different languages.
In my opinion, if translation really is a priority, we'd better carry out the process in a systematic way. Probably by taking up a group of languages for which translation is actually necessary. I mean, you probably wouldn't waste time translating articles into a rarely-spoken language; or a secondary language right? Letting all people translate stuff into all the languages they know would simply increase the workload(imagine the number of people going around checking and correcting articles in different languages; plus the challenges of avoiding people from abusing in different languages- which may pass uncaught because our mods may not know all languages, etc etc), and would be frustrating if in the future, the effort seems pointless.

So yeah, if translation is actually a priority (which it probably isn't, because we are dealing with other BeyWiki articles, our admins are busy with BeyPoint processing, etc), we should do it in a way that doesn't turn the BeyWiki Forum into a mess. :\
At least we should get Beywiki in the languages which are spoken most in the world, like French .
Translation of the Beywiki to French has begun, progress of which can be followed here.

If the Committee disapproves of this initiative, it is their prerogative to delete and/or block any further content from me. If not, enabling sub-pages and setting $wgRestrictDisplayTitle to false would be beneficial to the creation of a truly multilingual wiki. As my translations are done primarily for the sake of translating, I do not care either way.

Furthermore, anyone interested in following or contributing their own language to my Beyblade Terminology translation project can do so by following the link in my signature.