Beyblade Testing Strategies

So I decided to start this thread because I haven't seen any real easy solutions to testing, nor have I found incredible resources regarding them in any way that could be deemed easy. I've seen the odd question or two on how to perform tests and why they should be done, I've answered these a few times in the past and I feel they're decent questions to ask. Recently I've been doing some testing with MFB combination's and other various MFB related theories and/or curiosities, and while I would never say my way is the ONLY way to do things, I believe it is one of a few solid methods of testing with accurate results.

I'm starting this thread with the intention of gathering a well versed resource for testers and eventually publishing a wiki article on it as well. Things here are hugely open for discussion and as this sub forum dictates, criticism should be expected, hopefully more along the lines of the constructive variant. If we some how come down to deciding one or two solid methods of testing then all the better.

For testing, accuracy is one of the most crucial elements, if one isn’t as accurate as possible for a test why even bother? The results won’t be true and will have very little merit to yourself or anyone else interested in your results. Anyone testing should strive to achieve the most accurate methods possible otherwise it is a waste of time and in many cases, resources, like Rubber Flat bottoms which wear out over time. Repetition is generally necessary, consistency ties into this, and for MFB’s it is a dominating factor for judging performance.

Real simple break down of one of my more recent tests to get an idea of what I'm talking about below: Storm Pegasis 90/100/105 RF Results

How I typically test is 3 repetitions of 20 round battles with recorded outcomes and supposed reasoning. Essentially this means 60 recorded rounds. Breaking them down into sets of 20 makes it easier for taking notes as well as on the spot comparison. It can also be utilized to create an average win % ratio. This method was particularly useful for determining the Storm competitive combo’s information regarding to each combinations performance as well as establishing various other factors like Point of Contact for Storm’s smash attack and Libra’s Wheel.

Shooting methods is another subject for this discussion and I believe it heavily affects accuracy in the long run. It can often generate or eliminate questions of bias in testing environment and skewer accuracy overall.

Alternating Launching or as I like to call it “Fire one, Fire two” is a method where one person starts each round alternating launching the testing combinations first and second.

EX:

Round 1: Tester launches MF Libra C145WB first then launches Quetz 90RF as quickly as possible after.

Round 2: Tester launches Quetz 90RF first then launches MF Libra C145WB as quickly as possible after.

Round 3: Tester launches MF Libra C145WB first then launches Quetz 90RF as quickly as possible after.

Round 4: etc, etc.

This particular method is generally used when one has no one else to test with; it forgoes typical battle conditions by having one beyblade launched first then another. Since in an actual battle, which the test is supposed to be preparing for, both beyblades are launched at once, this method is definitely not as accurate as it could be. Several factors weigh against it such as first beyblade positioning, launching from the same side of the dish, and first encounters.

The other method is a near perfect simulation of an actual beybattle (in my case with 20 rounds) where both players (testers) launch at once and attempt actual shooting techniques. The only true problem herein lies within the abilities of the testers and how well they’ve perfected their shooting techniques. If either blader is unable to shoot properly, or how the test was intended to be done the results won’t be as accurate, or in some cases relevant enough. In the case of testing an attack type for competitive combo’s a proper sliding shoot is necessary as it is a more common technique used and therefore a more likely movement pattern for the test combination to take.

Discuss!
When I'm shooting one after the other, I generally shoot the one that retains its spin better first. In the case of Quetz90RF Vs MFLibraC145WB, I always shoot the latter first because Quetz uses up far more energy in two seconds than Libra will.

Also, if you screw up a shot in your test, such as an RF combo going out before touching the other Beyblade, it shouldn't be counted. You should only count battles where both Beyblades are performing at the best of their ability.
note: wont the shoot one shoot two be more aqurite than shooting both at the same time? since the 2 persons abilities may differ?

Edit: srry i didnt notice that you did talk about it Confused
(Aug. 02, 2009  10:53 AM)pegasis Wrote: note: wont the shoot one shoot two be more aqurite than shooting both at the same time? since the 2 persons abilities may differ?

Did you not read the whole post? He talks about this :\
(Aug. 02, 2009  10:48 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: When I'm shooting one after the other, I generally shoot the one that retains its spin better first. In the case of Quetz90RF Vs MFLibraC145WB, I always shoot the latter first because Quetz uses up far more energy in two seconds than Libra will.

This.

I only alternate shots when the Beyblades have similar capabilities. Like the VirgoDF145FS test I did previously. Since I was testing against other Stamina types, Alternating shots didn't weigh as much on the outcome as shooting Quetz before Libra would.
but am with hiro in this. the tests aren't accurate when you launch the defense type first and then the attack. cuz its very easy to ko it from the first touch.
But if you shoot the Attack type then the Defense type, the Attack type could drain all it's energy waiting for you to shoot, especially since you'll be using RF which is much faster in first few seconds. It's a two-way street kinda.
(Aug. 02, 2009  1:30 PM)pegasis Wrote: but am with hiro in this. the tests aren't accurate when you launch the defense type first and then the attack. cuz its very easy to ko it from the first touch.

I'm aiming for the center of the stadium regardless of which one is launched first, because that's where Defense-types go. I don't shoot any differently.
ya but think of it, libra is in the middle and then you launch quetz into it (the middle). it will have a big chance of KOing it. but if libra was on its way to the middle of the stadium while quetz is moving in the flower pattern it will have a bigger chance to survive!

anyone agrees?
Pegasis, do you really think this never occurs to me, after playing Beyblade for seven years? Not only is it incredibly easy to compensate for the disadvantages by limiting shooting speeds, but WB continues to move even after RF is shot, so it's inconsequential. The alternative is to shoot RF first, which is nonsense because RF needs to win in the first five seconds or so. Sort of hard to do that when the opposing Beyblade isn't in the stadium.

WB only reaches the outside of the stadium if you shoot it at full power -- which you shouldn't be doing anyway -- and in which situation would be easy for RF to KO anyway. Most of the time it lingers around the center, and the positioning change isn't that large within that short span of time to completely disqualify testing results.

There is no 100% perfect way to test a BeyBattle on your own, however, this is the best way to do it. You really need to stop talking down to people with far more experience than you. From the Competitive Combos topic and now here, your contrarian act is getting old. You're old enough to know better.
ok, you dont seem to understand what am saying,
now the perfect test results are when both are launched at the same time by pro players, so the first one launches libra so libra moves toward the middle, and at the same time while libra is moving toward the middle quetz is doing the same, so they will make their first contact somewhere around the middle. while they are both moving
----> storms attack will be weakened by libras moving toward the middle. so it wont get KOed from the first touch most of the time. right?

but if libra lost its moving power and is spining in the middle already, then quetz is launched into the middle it will hit it without being weakened and will most of the time be able to KO it from the first touch.

wont this difference completely disqualify testing results? if no, your completely right!

i never meant to be a contrarian, i was just trying to know from you (the one with exp) about this so i can learn more, and when i feel the answer wasnt enough, i try to discuss until i understand.

sorry if you felt i mean something else by those discussions. and remember, if you dont want to answer just dont and i will discuss it with other members.
Why will the Attack combo's attack be weakened while Libra is moving?
This thread was really needed. I do think an article covering some sort of standard format to record your results in as well as what Hiro has said would be a good resource.
I'd like to know what a testable launcher would be. I for example, don't normally attempt a sliding shot with a beylauncher, I uselly shoot from a stationary postition about 1/4 of the way into the stadium. With the light launcher I will attempt the Sliding shot every once in while. Plus as was pointed out in the launchers vid, beylauncher gets more power.
(Aug. 02, 2009  10:04 PM)wolfmonkey Wrote: I'd like to know what a testable launcher would be. I for example, don't normally attempt a sliding shot with a beylauncher, I uselly shoot from a stationary postition about 1/4 of the way into the stadium. With the light launcher I will attempt the Sliding shot every once in while. Plus as was pointed out in the launchers vid, beylauncher gets more power.

Not sure what you're asking ...? You use Sliding Shoot if it's appropriate.
I mean technically both launchers should be the same. In theory this means that 2 sets of tests should be done. Following that if you use sliding shot for an attack type it flowers giving you one set of results, while a regular shot it spins around the stadium. This causes a different set of results. See what I'm getting at?
(Aug. 02, 2009  10:16 PM)wolfmonkey Wrote: I mean technically both launchers should be the same. In theory this means that 2 sets of tests should be done. Following that if you use sliding shot for an attack type it flowers giving you one set of results, while a regular shot it spins around the stadium. This causes a different set of results. See what I'm getting at?

Different Beyblades require different shooting techniques to be tested. In a real BeyBattle you would use Sliding Shoot with RF and a straight shot with WB; you should do this in a test as well.
(Aug. 02, 2009  9:46 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Why will the Attack combo's attack be weakened while Libra is moving?
because when libra is moving in the opposite direction of quetz, quetz attack first should stop libras moving completely (not spinning) (which uses some of the power of the attack) then start knocking it on the opposite direction. so the power wont all be used to push it --> the attack will be weaker than if libra was spinning in the middle.

physics and logic?
How can they be moving in opposite directions? They both spin Right.
lol, i didnt say spin in the opposite direction, i said move. when both are launched at the same time, both will be moving toward the middle in opposite directions. just like that: --Storm-----> <-----Libra--
You're seriously frustrating me. Beyblades move in circles/ovals, not straight lines, so they are not going to be moving in opposite directions. It's literally impossible. I know what you're trying to say, but saying they're "moving in opposite directions" is a misnomer. Their movement patterns simply overlap.

When WB is shot properly it sits in the middle immediately, it doesn't circle around the stadium and eventually sit in the middle. You're also ignoring that you can compensate by controlling your shot power. You're also ignoring that there is no better way to test solo. There is no way to "guarantee" a win in Beyblade, only to tip the odds in your favour, and this is the best way to simulate it.

Also, stop talking to me like I'm an idiot, Pegasis. I know what "physics and logic" are. How many of your last legs are you going to chew off?
i just said Physics and logic to say what i used in what i said. sorry if you felt offended!

am talking about the first touch! when you do your sliding shoot, and the flower pattern begins, the first movement will be almost straight toward the middle, then continue with its flower pattern.
the same with libra, when 2 launch at the same time, its impossible to launch it in the middle immediately, so it will be launched and start moving down to reach the middle and stay there.
so the first touch will be when they both are moving toward the middle.. this always happen in all the matches i do!

anyway, so what i want from all that is: wont it be better if libra was launched first then quetz first? cuz they both haver their advantages when launched first?
(Aug. 03, 2009  8:57 AM)pegasis Wrote: anyway, so what i want from all that is: wont it be better if libra was launched first then quetz first? cuz they both haver their advantages when launched first?

wow have you not read anything i've posted here? RF loses monumentally more energy than WB in the same amount of time. shooting RF first puts it at a huge handicap.

Quote:when 2 launch at the same time, its impossible to launch it in the middle immediately

Um, how is it impossible?
because when 2 hands are launching there wont be a space for you to put your hand above the middle of the stadium, and if you want to aim at the middle from outside the blade will be moving until it reaches the middle.

we dont seem to go anywhere with this discussion. i will just stop! and if you want you can clean the posts..
sorry for waisting your time..
You should try putting as much effort into reading as you do posting the same garbage over and over again.

Quote:When WB is shot properly it sits in the middle immediately, it doesn't circle around the stadium and eventually sit in the middle. You're also ignoring that you can compensate by controlling your shot power. You're also ignoring that there is no better way to test solo. There is no way to "guarantee" a win in Beyblade, only to tip the odds in your favour, and this is the best way to simulate it.

This literally addresses everything you just posted. And FYI, if you put your hands at the center of the stadium first, your opponent can't force you to move. We're not going anywhere with this discussion because as usual, you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about and refuse to listen to people who do. There is no way to make it completely even; even in an actual BeyBattle, the two players are going to shoot differently, so it won't be even then either. The point is to use the method that will minimize handicaps, and WB losing 1% of its power is preferable over RF losing 10%.

But hey, thanks for wrecking a good thread!