Beyblade Random Thoughts

Why not A,D,S for greater ease of understanding?

(Dec. 12, 2011  6:31 PM)Hazel Wrote: I am not aware of a MW named "Frame"... you're scapegoating nonexistant things.

It's very bad engrish but it exists nonetheless.

(Dec. 12, 2011  6:31 PM)Hazel Wrote: The beywiki very clearly explains things, and - yes, actually, we would rather have people be educated on proper terminology, even if it means they have to spend ten seconds looking something up, than have people coming up with new terms for things. Combo nicknames were banned for a very similar reason.

But it's not ten seconds, is it? It's about five minutes now and two more every single time I need to talk about a metal face. As a serious blader, that's hours of my precious beyblading time gone with a single awkward naming convention. Make me do that for everything and suddenly I'm losing a significant percentage of my life to it.

I'm sorry but I simply cannot abide convention for the sake of convention when removing said convention would make things easier for everyone, not just me.
Nicknames are jargon - which while simplifying language for those close to the subject, makes it very, very difficult for outsiders to understand what one is talking about. For that reason, we try to avoid nicknames altogether as much as possible.

I've included the definition here below to try and make my above point clear. Some people are advocating that we use nicknames in line with definition 1, but for everyone else in the world it will result in a state more in line with definitions 2, 3 and 5.

jar·gon [jahr-guhn, -gon]
noun
  1. the language, especially the vocabulary, peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group: medical jargon.
  2. unintelligible or meaningless talk or writing; gibberish.
  3. any talk or writing that one does not understand.
  4. pidgin.
  5. language that is characterized by uncommon or pretentious vocabulary and convoluted syntax and is often vague in meaning.

source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jargon
Urgh, this sucks.
The expected delivery date for my BBA Balancer was today...
I check the mail, and nothing.
So, two possible explanations:
1) USPS is behind (most believable)
2) They put it in the wrong mailbox
lol I really hope it's the second one XD
Can't wait to get it Uncertain
Arupaeo: Jargon equally commonly refers to technical terms used within a specific subject that make it difficult for outsiders to understand. The official abbreviations of MF-custom are atleast as much "Jargon" as anything I have suggested.
(Dec. 12, 2011  10:41 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: Arupaeo: Jargon equally commonly refers to technical terms used within a specific subject that make it difficult for outsiders to understand. The official abbreviations of MF-custom are atleast as much "Jargon" as anything I have suggested.

Hence my qualifying statement, "as much as possible".

Frankly, I just ignore the difference between MF-L and MF-M as the difference in weight between them is like .2g or something and they are also close to the weight of a standard MF. MF-F is basically the same in weight as a standard face bolt. So to me the only distinction here worth paying attention to is MF vs MF-H.
What I really don't get is why everybody hates the term "String Launcher". Sure, I can see the reasons for opposition to the MF changes but "String Launcher" is an official term. It may not come from japan like "Beylauncher" but just because it's a Hasbro name doesn't automatically mean it's wrong, especially as it explains what the object is far better than the TT name.
I call it a string launcher in casual conversation at home and in my community I use both terms, but I refer to it as a beylauncher here on the site. Its just one of the many adjustments I make between speaking and writing.

As to the different names between Hasbro and TT, I honestly never noticed that there was a different name. Probably because I haven't purchased one from Hasbro.
Is it me or do some of the best beys (look wise) get left in games and such like a toucan bey i heard it existed in a game....
I really wish my Quetz would come in.
Out of everything I've ordered from Metal System so far, that's what I'm most excited for.
Y U NO SHIP FASTER
(Dec. 13, 2011  12:42 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: I really wish my Quetz would come in.
Out of everything I've ordered from Metal System so far, that's what I'm most excited for.
Y U NO SHIP FASTER

Left-spin Quetz90RF vs top Tier Defense Smug At least around an 80=90% win rate. You're going to love Quetz, I plan to get a silver Quetz one day. Then I'll have all the Quetz beys and colors Grin .
For what it helps, Dracomageat, MF-M and MF-L are easiest remembered by their centres. I just remember it as MF-M(etal core) and MF-L(ight core). Speechless

(Dec. 13, 2011  1:21 AM)J o n Wrote:
Y U NO SHIP FASTER

Left-spin Quetz90RF vs top Tier Defense Smug At least around an 80=90% win rate. You're going to love Quetz, I plan to get a silver Quetz one day. Then I'll have all the Quetz beys and colors Grin .

My quetz doesn't fit on a beylauncher L Speechless
Y U NO SHIP FASTER

[Image: tumblr_lk0ej8ZC8p1qc3ioj.jpg]
I know the meme is dead.

Y U NO SHIP FASTER

BUT IT DOESN'T FIT ON A LEFT LAUNCHER DX
Lol. I have one coming also. Golden though.
Mine's golden as well. Got it for $14.40 USD.
Anyone realize how many variations of Sharp there is? I could go along the first 5 letters of the alphabet with the variations.

Around Sharp
Ball Sharp
Coated Sharp
Defense Sharp
Eternal Sharp
Flat Sharp

Don't forget.. MS, RS, and S itself.
If the defense series count...
Edit: I meant 6...
D, SD, WD, W2D, EWD.
(Dec. 13, 2011  6:05 AM)kbuno50 Wrote: Anyone realize how many variations of Sharp there is? I could go along the first 5 letters of the alphabet with the variations.

Around Sharp
Ball Sharp
Coated Sharp
Defense Sharp
Eternal Sharp
Flat Sharp

Don't forget.. MS, RS, and S itself.
If the defense series count...
D, SD, WD, W2D, EWD.

I knew the variants... But not the ABCDEF part Chocked. Guess they're running out of ideas lol ;D
In the unofficial DFW torunament, my Phantom Orion (attack) BD145CS was getting KO'ed by LLD 100CS. Thats right.

LIGHTNING L DRAGO!!!!

I nearly lost the battle 3-2, if I hadn't ripped hard enough at 110%.
Phantom has recoil where LLD hits, and is pretty eh defensively.
(Dec. 13, 2011  5:02 AM)Chups Wrote:
Y U NO SHIP FASTER

[Image: tumblr_lk0ej8ZC8p1qc3ioj.jpg]
I know the meme is dead.
you just revived that meme good work anyways i dont get it hasbro new gear waves have no string launcher just proves they dont even know about their own products
I think hasbro have good accessories too. The rev up launcher is impressive.
(Dec. 13, 2011  10:36 AM)foxy Wrote: I think hasbro have good accessories too. The rev up launcher is impressive.
only when used in a way it is not desighned to be used in the rev up is also inconsistant in launch speed and breaks easily
I find it satisfying having 3 war lions (although one is effectively broken....)
(Dec. 13, 2011  12:17 PM)KaizerMFB Wrote: I find it satisfying having 3 war lions (although one is effectively broken....)
In a day or two, I'll have...
ONE :000
Smug
(Dec. 13, 2011  5:27 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote:
Y U NO SHIP FASTER

BUT IT DOESN'T FIT ON A LEFT LAUNCHER DX

It doesn't matter!!! Tongue_out
Modify it illegally!
Now, there are people who-
1. Would modify the bey.
2. Modify the launcher.

I am certain you won't be dumb enough to modify the bey itself. XD
But yeah, there are some people who do.
As for me, I enjoy spinning LLD in right spin.
I broke the prongs of a fake launcher for that. Breaking a fake launcher is the most economically, and sensibly safe idea. Smile

Dracomageat Wrote:What I really don't get is why everybody hates the term "String Launcher". Sure, I can see the reasons for opposition to the MF changes but "String Launcher" is an official term. It may not come from japan like "Beylauncher" but just because it's a Hasbro name doesn't automatically mean it's wrong, especially as it explains what the object is far better than the TT name.

Well, TT releases stuff before Hasbro. And the terms which TT uses, become standard, and official terms which are used throughout in any conversation. Smile
The same practice is followed on WBO. So, by the time Hasbro releases a product and renames it, we are already accustomed to the titles TT gave it. And hence, it still remains standardized in most posts.
I am sure that most of us still do not call a Basalt as Twisted; and I've never (literally) seen anyone call Hell- Hades or Screw- Spiral; except for when there new names were announced.
Twisted is still used frequently, but most of the people who came here before the Hasbro release still call it Basalt.
While answering questions in Ask Q Get A and Build Me A Combo threads, we use the newer terms more often, as the new members who post there usually call it by their Hasbro names.
As for a BeyLauncher, it causes no confusion for me as it does for you.
I am quite surprised why people get confused with this term, but that is probably because I am so accustomed to this term. I would rather get confused if people start calling it a String Launcher.
TT had good reasons to make the name change. They certainly knew that it would be sensible to name it a String Launcher, but they couldn't do it because there is an HMS launcher by the same name. Smile
As for Hasbro, no comments. Tongue_out