Beyblade Hobby/Community Advice

There is obviously a bigger market for the types of videos that are out there, that's why they are out there in droves. But that's not to say that there isn't a smaller untapped market for competitive videos
lol, you guys are just stating your anecdotal opinions as if they were facts. The truth is there's almost no educational content you can even compare it to, so how can you even say it so confidently? Especially when the educational content there is has performed reasonably well?

Yes, those videos were uploaded a long time ago and gained traction during a time when people were actually searching for Beyblade content. You can't expect to make a huge impact right now unless you have an already established viewerbase (lucky for Kevo that he was able to ride Driger GT's wave of popularity). Views are down drastically across the board. Discussing the viewcounts of videos that are coming out right now is practically pointless.

But that time is going to end; Beyblade's return is approaching rapidly. I don't really care if you all want to make high-quality educational content or not, but I would say that BeybladeGeeks have also obviously done well with their blend of lightly informative and entertaining content.

Also, all of the "arguments" posted in this thread also exclude the possibility of reaching audiences that aren't interested in the kinds of videos that are currently being produced, or expanding the audience of Beyblade entirely.

Nobody's asking you to make this educational content, so I don't know why you feel so passionate about saying there is no audience for it. Just keep making your videos as you want. There's room for all kinds.
It is also worth noting that Formula Bei has one of the highest readerships per-post on the entire forum.
(May. 08, 2016  8:46 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Because it's:

1. A lot more work
2. Requires you to be both a talented editor AND have in-depth knowledge about the game, leaving a very small pool of potential producers
3. People assume there is no audience for it without even trying

I think another reason is that most of the fanbase are teenagers and not adults and many are more fad friendly and move on to the next fad when the popularity disappears. Because most new players are teenagers chances are they spend more time outside rather than near computers hence the thought of people who take the game seriously on a world level is very unlikely so it's probably not even a passing thought.

Also unlike games like yu-gi-oh! there isn't places that people can go for l tournaments outside of the ones that are run by WBO. Like for card games like Yu-gi-oh! there are various places across NYC you can go to play locals and regionals but for Beyblade it's not such a case. I think there would be more spots to beyblade over in japan but that's because they promote the product epically more over there then over here.

Also the beyblade fan-base always seems to be scattered always and in between meaning the show and game itself may be popular overall but most of the fanbase have small followings in places all over the world which divide the popularity by each small following
I guess, but hasn't the WBO proven by now that it has the potential to dramatically reshape things? Without it, there would be very little discussion of Beyblade on a competitive level at all. If we were able to get this far, it's easy to imagine that we can continue to grow and teach people that Beyblade has competitive potential. Not just appeasing demand for competitive content, but creating it, and introducing people who might not otherwise have given the game a second look to its depth.
We definitely have immense power on what the community does, even on other YouTubers.
(well that post made quite a stream of posts, go me)

But I definitely think that everyone here with a knowledge of competitive Beyblade would find an educational tutorial, or part guide would find that type of content interesting. Just because other battle videos, like mentioned before, have high views, doesn't mean it's what the viewers necessarily want. Whose to say they aren't watching it just because it's Beyblade? Hell, that's the only reason I watch battle videos. Because there isn't anything else.
(May. 09, 2016  10:25 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I guess, but hasn't the WBO proven by now that it has the potential to dramatically reshape things? Without it, there would be very little discussion of Beyblade on a competitive level at all. If we were able to get this far, it's easy to imagine that we can continue to grow and teach people that Beyblade has competitive potential. Not just appeasing demand for competitive content, but creating it, and introducing people who might not otherwise have given the game a second look to its depth.

Well you guys are kids. You can only do as much as your wallet allows you to do and that kinda limits how far you can take the game. However, the concept of getting sponsors from actual high level companies to promote and endorse the product would be an option. I'm assuming that there is more promotability in japan because Takara function a little different from Hasbro and endorses it a bit differently. But Takara only promotes Beyblade in japan or any other country nearby. Hasbro does it everywhere else and it's clear they need a little work on how they endorse and promote the product. Furthermore THEY take it less seriously than takara does as they promote more as toy/fad rather than something like yu-gi-oh!
Getting corporate sponsorships for our fan-run organization that is using another company's trademark as the basis of everything we do is a recipe for getting shut down. (Also, there's not much in it for any potential sponsors unless they're just a store that sells Beyblades, which is something we'd be willing to consider.)

Also, we're not really kids ... many of the Committee members are in our mid-to-late 20's now. We're not here to take over the world. We're here to make Beyblade tournaments as available as possible for people who want to have them. That's our main goal.
(May. 10, 2016  3:29 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Getting corporate sponsorships for our fan-run organization that is using another company's trademark as the basis of everything we do is a recipe for getting shut down. (Also, there's not much in it for any potential sponsors unless they're just a store that sells Beyblades, which is something we'd be willing to consider.)

Also, we're not really kids ... many of the Committee members are in our mid-to-late 20's now. We're not here to take over the world. We're here to make Beyblade tournaments as available as possible for people who want to have them. That's our main goal.

I believe you misunderstood. I meant corporates sponsorships for beyblade in general. I mean it makes no sense that Hasbro doesn't have locals and high level tournaments considering how much beyblade rakes in for them. Hasbro doesn't endorse or promote beyblade the same way as Takara does and that's a fact and it further shows that Hasbro doesn't see beyblade as anything more than a fad.

As for the kid's comment i meant that in the way you aren't exactly part of an multi-million dollar organization that generates money from beyblade and can extend widespread exposure. I'm assuming you spend money on your own and rely on players money to create and sponsor tournaments, right?

The actual word is young adults Grin
Ah OK, I understand. Hasbro has clearly shown in the past that they don't think the investment is worth the pay-off; I don't expect to see things change this time around, either.
(May. 10, 2016  3:46 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Ah OK, I understand. Hasbro has clearly shown in the past that they don't think the investment is worth the pay-off; I don't expect to see things change this time around, either.

And because no one in japan seems to have any involvement with the western fanbase, you guys are the only people who have the sense to actually promote the game seriously. You would have to send a message to takara to invest beyblade to a different company like wizard of the coast or konami or even create a branch of takara over here to oversee project in coherently with the japanese version of the game.
I think something more similar to the way Pokemon TCG is promoted makes more sense ... has a nice blend of kid-friendliness and accessibility while also having more competitive aspects available. Anyway, we're getting a bit off-topic now; this is really about what fans can do to promote Beyblade. Smile
(May. 10, 2016  3:50 PM)KingofDarkness0 Wrote: wizard of the coast
Don't they specialize in Trading Cards? Isn't that a bit of a jump? Although I'd like to see official tournaments from someone like them, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as balanced as our ruleset, which can be bent by the community via feedback. It would take a lot more to get something like, say Odin banned in an official tournament.
Also, Hasbro is a large company. Plus they've done Beyblade twice before. I don't think its time to jump ship.

(May. 10, 2016  3:50 PM)KingofDarkness0 Wrote: konami
no thanks
(May. 10, 2016  6:52 PM)Neo Wrote:
Don't they specialize in Trading Cards? Isn't that a bit of a jump? Although I'd like to see official tournaments from someone like them, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as balanced as our ruleset, which can be bent by the community via feedback. It would take a lot more to get something like, say Odin banned in an official tournament.
Also, Hasbro is a large company. Plus they've done Beyblade twice before. I don't think its time to jump ship.

no thanks

Hasbro only does distribution for the beyblade franchise not the actual tournaments. I guess either it doesn't sell enough to garner investment in tournament system or they don't care or take it seriously enough to create a tournament system.

as for the no thanks for konami.. i think you are actually remembering upperdeck which used to distribute yu-gi-oh! I think they gotten better over the last few years but they could still use some more work on the tournament system.
It is actually Hasbro that decides to do Toys "R" Us tournament tours or whatever you want to call those events. Toys "R" Us has a contract with Hasbro regarding the Beyblade line, which is why they refuse to let us host tournaments near their shops or sponsor/promote them in any way. For sure, it is not the actual stores that decide that they will organise tournaments, it has to come from Hasbro.
(May. 10, 2016  7:14 PM)KingofDarkness0 Wrote:
(May. 10, 2016  6:52 PM)Neo Wrote:

no thanks

Hasbro only does distribution for the beyblade franchise not the actual tournaments. I guess either it doesn't sell enough to garner investment in tournament system or they don't care or take it seriously enough to create a tournament system.

as for the no thanks for konami.. i think you are actually remembering upperdeck which used to distribute yu-gi-oh! I think they gotten better over the last few years but they could still use some more work on the tournament system.

For Wizards, Hasbro could have done it if it would generate profit, remember Hasbro OWNS Wizards, but most of Wizards income is not based in kids, and for Hasbro, Beyblade is for kids

Konami has the same CORE problems from EVERY edition when doing yugioh, I too wouldn't recommend giving Konami a try on beyblade (and without talking about their video game department decisions!)

Also, isn't this getting a little off topic?
(May. 10, 2016  7:27 PM)Izhkoort Wrote:
(May. 10, 2016  6:52 PM)Neo Wrote: Don't they specialize in Trading Cards? Isn't that a bit of a jump? Although I'd like to see official tournaments from someone like them, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as balanced as our ruleset, which can be bent by the community via feedback. It would take a lot more to get something like, say Odin banned in an official tournament.

no thanks

For Wizards, Hasbro could have done it if it would generate profit, remember Hasbro OWNS Wizards, but most of Wizards income is not based in kids, and for Hasbro, Beyblade is for kids

did not know that. Cool. Even though we see something competitive, and to exaggerate, beautiful, it will always be seen as a toy no matter how much Hasbro could try to show it's more mature, (and they won't) than the populous thinks it is.

Quote:Konami has the same CORE problems from EVERY edition when doing yugioh, I too wouldn't recommend giving Konami a try on beyblade (and without talking about their video game department decisions!)

The things Konami are doing now with games would never make me trust them or any subdivision, honestly.

Quote:Also, isn't this getting a little off topic?
but good conversation is good conversation m8
(May. 10, 2016  7:27 PM)Izhkoort Wrote:
(May. 10, 2016  6:52 PM)Neo Wrote: Don't they specialize in Trading Cards? Isn't that a bit of a jump? Although I'd like to see official tournaments from someone like them, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as balanced as our ruleset, which can be bent by the community via feedback. It would take a lot more to get something like, say Odin banned in an official tournament.

no thanks

Konami has the same CORE problems from EVERY edition when doing yugioh, I too wouldn't recommend giving Konami a try on beyblade (and without talking about their video game department decisions!)

Also, isn't this getting a little off topic?

but to be honest at least konami HAS tournaments for Yu-gi-oh! and the reason why the prize support is awful is for the same reason people assume it's a kids games/childish at least maybe until you join ARG tournaments.

The main reason why both franchises fail on this aspect is because when products are selling the people in charge assume that what they are doing for support for various games works so i guess they feel it not likely to change aspects of the system because if the game itself is selling then why does it matter how it sells and how it works?

Also like i said the global marketed game is promoted a certain way in the west that only works in the west it wouldn't work in japan
(May. 10, 2016  7:56 PM)KingofDarkness0 Wrote: but to be honest at least konami HAS tournaments for Yu-gi-oh! and the reason why the prize support is awful is for the same reason people assume it's a kids games/childish at least maybe until you join ARG tournaments.

The main reason why both franchises fail on this aspect is because when products are selling the people in charge assume that what they are doing for support for various games works so i guess they feel it not likely to change aspects of the system because if the game itself is selling then why does it matter how it sells and how it works?

Also like i said the global marketed game is promoted a certain way in the west that only works in the west it wouldn't work in japan

Because Konami overpowers new products, so people HAVE to buy new products to compete, that would be against even takara tomy's way of doing tournaments

Konami's franchises didn't fail has games, but has a profitable product

Except YuGiOh, they make what they want with that, I get nausea every time a new anime is release, changing the core rules of the games

Also the worst thing about Konami's tournaments aren't the prices, but their forbidden cards lists
(May. 10, 2016  8:28 PM)Izhkoort Wrote:
(May. 10, 2016  7:56 PM)KingofDarkness0 Wrote: but to be honest at least konami HAS tournaments for Yu-gi-oh! and the reason why the prize support is awful is for the same reason people assume it's a kids games/childish at least maybe until you join ARG tournaments.

Because Konami overpowers new products, so people HAVE to buy new products to compete, that would be against even takara tomy's way of doing tournaments

Konami's franchises didn't fail has games, but has a profitable product

Except YuGiOh, they make what they want with that, I get nausea every time a new anime is release, changing the core rules of the games

Also the worst thing about Konami's tournaments aren't the prices, but their forbidden cards lists

no, the fact new cards have broken carp effects and are worth $70 a card is a big deal .You have to invest big money to play competitively in the western metagame. secondly the along with that the banlist and how it is carelessly mishandle in the western game.
This conversation has nothing to do with Beyblade or community-building. Please get back on topic.