Beyblade G-revolution

I honestly do not know why Final Fantasy made that weird decision to call Shiva a character that was female, and associate it with ice. It would not surprise me though that Takara/D-Rights could choose to use Final Fantasy VII as referrence anyway, considering its popularity in Japan.

Just like Meteor using a spinning top in Kamen Rider Fourze, hah.
(Jun. 29, 2012  7:23 AM)th!nk Wrote: I always believed it was Novae Rog (likely due to the source Insomniac mentions). UltimateFantasy has just misheard the word and then made the ridiculously common "Rouge" - "Rogue" error.

Methinks you've got names messed up. I haven't posted in this thread at all :\
So technically you can't say there is an official name for the special move (from the many misheard names) and there is no official name for the girl that appears before wolborg?
@Insomniac: not even the slightest clue how that happened, I meant ultimatefantasy.

Kai-v A much deeper question than most of mine related to the final fantasy series. I have learnt to just not question that particular brand of craziness.

I'll look into some possible suitable legends tomorrow, I think, though if you could find out why the beyblade community was calling her shiva it would be neat.
(Jun. 29, 2012  6:18 PM)th!nk Wrote: @Insomniac: not even the slightest clue how that happened, I meant ultimatefantasy.

LOL, I think the side-effects of insomnia are rubbing off on people.
Haha, don't worry about it.
Am I the only one who thinks it may be a banshee? (related to the sound of the engine gear and the screech of a banshee)
(Jun. 29, 2012  6:18 PM)th!nk Wrote: Kai-v A much deeper question than most of mine related to the final fantasy series. I have learnt to just not question that particular brand of craziness.

I'll look into some possible suitable legends tomorrow, I think, though if you could find out why the beyblade community was calling her shiva it would be neat.

Yo, I was part of the Beyblade community back then, and I am telling you that it was due to the misconception Final Fantasy VII gave of Shiva.

And no, it is not likely that it is a Banshee.
Oh, okay then. I was just wondering if there was any deeper reason as to why they went with that, like, anything even resembling some evidence because it seems like a ludicrous idea to me, haha.

All engine gears make that noise anyway. As I said, I'll go look through some mythology stuff and see if I find anything relevant Uncertain
Would it be weird if I thought it was an Ice Fairy? (I'm probably going to be out of guesses after this one)
well if you ask me, I think that Ice Maiden or whatever you want to call it was just a way of personifying Wolborg since the tiara the maiden wears is the same as the armor Wolborg has on it's head. Also I think it lends to the notion that Wolborg is female.

Either that or the animators wanted to make the attack look cool and didn't really care what they did.

Shiva is a Hindu deity which has nothing to do with northern european folklore. (Tala is Russian and Wolborg is an artificial bit beast made in Russia)...

but then again beyblade is a children's show intended to promote the beyblade products so not much attention is given to details of each and every aspect of the show. as i said previously the animators probably thought it looked cool and went with it.
One folklore they did get right (well mostly right) was the saint beasts.
The black tortoise of the north - Draciel
blue dragon of the east - Dragoon
red phoenix of the south - Dranzer
white tiger of the west - Driger
golden dragon of the center - Strata Dragoon

but if they did it correctly Strata Dragoon would be the strongest by far since the myth of the saint beasts claims the yellow dragon of the center is much more powerful than the other four by far.
I have no idea why the Wolborg Holy Beast would be personified into a woman ... I have no idea how you can think that makes sense.
(Jul. 03, 2012  2:40 PM)spfan99 Wrote: One folklore they did get right (well mostly right) was the saint beasts.
The black tortoise of the north - Draciel
blue dragon of the east - Dragoon
red phoenix of the south - Dranzer
white tiger of the west - Driger
golden dragon of the center - Strata Dragoon

but if they did it correctly Strata Dragoon would be the strongest by far since the myth of the saint beasts claims the yellow dragon of the center is much more powerful than the other four by far.

I just assume strata dragoon may have been that strong, but daichi was such a terrible blader (as evidenced in his match against tala where he keeps forgetting the plan he was told literally 30 seconds before the match) that he dragged it down to the same level as the rest of them.

As for the ice maiden thing, I'm thinking perhaps it's based on Yuki-Onna, though that's a Japanese thing, it does seem quite similar, and beyblade is a Japanese story sooooo... I haven't looked into it that much, the closest thing I found from Russia was something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snegurochka
Anyway, Yuki-Onna is what I was thinking of when I first stumbled upon it, couldn't remember the name though. :\
Kids...c'mon. Tala is from the north, so try to think of legends from around his turf.
Since it is not shown like the ice lady is actually transforming into the wolf, i would say it is an attempt to relate Fenrir (the first wolf), and his sister Hel (the keeper of the underworld) in one freezing move.
Not hard for Tala, he's used to bend dimensions, and his personal dimension in the end of season 1 is pretty much how i imagine the underworld for the old norse religions.
(Jul. 16, 2012  3:36 PM)miztechwizard Wrote: Kids...c'mon. Tala is from the north, so try to think of legends from around his turf.

You could at least call him Yuriy yourself then, because "tala" is a Spanish word, hah.

Another stupid decision made by Nelvana back then ...
Call him Yuriv instead of Tala, why should I? Tala sounds so much better.
You mean to say that the ice lady is a dub creation... perhaps?
No. What I mean is that you come here to criticise us about apparently not seeing that Yuriy is from Russia, but you go ahead and call him "Tala", which is latino, so very far from Russia ... It would just be consistent to call him by a name, his original one, which clearly hints at his "northern origins".
Yeah... you got aparently right.
Even if i cared about TALA i'd rather criticize spam mention of pop culture creatures. Situation that can be lessened if the search area is smaller and personal, therefore, "Tala's turf".