BEY OR DIE Tournament Report 9/27/14 - Team Format Pilot Event

[Image: ErMrCcR.png]
TOURNAMENT REPORT
Team Format Pilot Event
Official Thread

Hi everyone! I'm sure many of you are eagerly awaiting details on how everything worked out at this pilot event for Team Format. Somewhat surprisingly, everything went relatively well!

[Image: KhPmK31.jpg]

I was a bit concerned what the attendance would be like going in, but we ended up with a decent number of Bladers: 12, which means we had 4 teams. With these 4 teams, we conducted a round robin of Team BeyBattles to determine the victor. Let's take a look at the complete results:

BEY OR DIE Results

[Image: PIZRv14.jpg]

We ended up running one match at a time, and given that there was 18 individual BeyBattles total, it didn't take too long and it allowed us to get through everything in a reasonable time without rushing through something we had never done before. This was also necessary because of the issue of juding: even though we had many qualified judges at this event, it was a bit difficult to do everything impartially when most judges are all participating in Team BeyBattles at one time.

[Image: d9li08E.jpg]

After hosting the event today, here some of my general thoughts about what worked, what didn't, and things we can consider for improvement:
  • Availablitity of judges is a problem. If all judges are playing in one Team BeyBattle, what happens? Luckily we had enough to allow this to never be an issue at BEY OR DIE, but I can foresee it being a problem in the future. It also forced us in this situation to run the tournament more slowly than we would have to run a regular round robin with at least two BeyBattles going on at once.
  • A three team Team Format Round Robin tournament would produce only 9 BeyBattles. That's far too few. We might have to increase the lower limit to 4.
  • Scoring the Team BeyBattles by individual rounds rather than BeyBattle wins is great. It creates situations where going into the final BeyBattles teams talk about how many rounds they need to win to at least tie or move on. This can inform the choice of Beyblades greatly. It's really interesting!
  • Private selection for representatives of each round is also great. Teams varied their lineup a lot depending on who they were facing and who they thought each team would send out each round. Again, more opportunity for teams to talk amongst themselves to decide what they want to do.
  • LMAO suggested an interesting idea after the tournament today: rather than choosing the winners of Team Format tournaments based on the Team Beyattle wins, choose them based on the overall scores. It's possible that a team who has more Team BeyBattle wins could have a worse cumulative individual rounds record than a team with slightly less Team BeyBattle wins. A good example today was Team DAY BREAKERS vs. Team Blitzkreig Boyz. DAY BREAKERS were 3-0, and 21-12. Blitzkreig Boyz were 2-1, 20-10. The difference is not huge in this instance, but maybe it could be in others. Or, instead of choosing the winner based on the cumulative individual round records, we could simply take those top two round wins records to play a final Team BeyBattle no matter what. What do you think?
  • Even though I believe a Team Format tournament would be even better with a larger amount of teams, I do fear the amount of time it will take to complete those tournaments because you not only have to deal with Stalling Clause, but you also have to deal with the time it takes for teams to decide who is playing that particular round. We should perhaps put a time limit on this aspect of Team Format.

[Image: mL7LK5o.jpg]
Everyone with Jason Deline, voice actor of Benkei!

Overall, I was really pleased with how this event worked out. I'm looking forward to working out any kinks in it soon so that we can make it available to everyone! :)

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask.
I'm really happy to hear it went well (and pretty darn jealous that you guys met Benkei, haha).

I really like LMAO's suggestion of choosing with overall scores, honestly- makes a bit more sense to me.

Either way, super glad to hear this went well for all of you. Reading this makes me want to play in a Team Event as soon as I can, haha.
(Sep. 28, 2014  3:56 AM)Leone19 Wrote: I'm really happy to hear it went well (and pretty darn jealous that you guys met Benkei, haha).

Don't worry; I think Midnight` or LMAO got something signed by him for you. Wink
Yeah, with the suggestion I made, Pockyx3 and I were discussing how it should be a total win to loss ratio, for an example our team today went 20-10 which would give us a 2.00 score ratio, not exactly sure what Team Daybreakers ratio would be but it would be around 1.9-something because of the 1 extra win and 2 losses. This would mean Team Blitzkreig Boyz would have won the tournament with a higher overall ratio. I believe that with the way it is now, it's good, but this is just another option that should be discussed Smile

Congratulations to the Daybreakers! They were almost eliminated at first but made a comeback, great job! Our team was so close to winning it too haha. Thanks to all that came to the tournament!
I had a pretty great time yesterday, really enjoying the format!

I'd say it went pretty smoothly today, despite a couple minor things that I was able to catch, that the judge didn't, like a SW145 without the gimmick used in battle and an Original Metal Fight Beyblade's face on a synchrome setup. You gotta give me my kudos for catching the two, Scott, haha.

LMAO Wrote:

I believe that it can be another option, too, although it may be more complicated for others. It should definitely be looked into by the committee, though. I'm sure many others would prefer this way of determining the actual winners, though I myself am kind of somewhere in between the two.

On another note, I noticed two things that can be changed in the Overall Individual Records section:

1) To begin with, it states that LMAO went 2-1, which he didn't, as he won against Devvon, losing against both Nøᴠᴀ (which it doesn't state, though I believe it's true) and Kei, making it out to be 1-2.

2) While LMAO should be going down to 1-2, Nøᴠᴀ on the other hand should be taking his place at 2-1, as he won against both LMAO and Pockyx3, while he lost against Friendly1.

Speaking of Nøᴠᴀ, I believe he probably could have went 3-0 like both Kei and I, if his launcher handle wasn't broken by Jesse. I believe the 2-3 loss could have been because of his fingers slipping, or something like that.

Once again, I had great time yesterday, I kind of want to relive it, as well. I'm hoping to see more Team Format events in the near future, hopefully by other regions, too!
Looks like a nice and amazing tournament. I definitely agree with you on the limit needing to be increased. I was already thinking about it taking too less time. LMAO's suggestion is very interesting, but I want to see it in action before we start trying it.

Anyways I hope this Pilot event attracts more Bladers, and an awesome official Team Format.
1. Kei, how long did it take from registration to the end for 4 teams event?

2. I still have to think about the counting of total accumulated round wins as opposed to counting the teams' BeyBattle wins as they progressed through the event for the final winner.

Few of my concerns with the suggestion are:

- In the case of no tiebreakers ; No matter what, the winning team will have the most number of total accumulated round wins anyway.
- In the case of tiebreakers ; The 2nd best team that had a tiebreaker will end up with more round wins than the best team that had no tiebreaker despite perfect 3-0s record for their rounds. It still doesn't justify that the 2nd best team deserves to win, just because it had more rounds to play with in a tiebreaker.
- If we were to count winning percentage based on rounds, then in B.O.D.'s particular case, wouldn't Team Blitzkreig Boyz have won with a 66,67% (20-10), instead of Team DAY BREAKERS with 63,64% (21-12)? How would this work out?

Frankly speaking, with the current WBO's system that only counts basic wins and losses in a BeyBattle, instead of Point System, it's unnecessary to count round wins. We had already taken a leap with counting the accumulated round wins to determine BeyBattle wins, and that has proven to be great and presented fresh event experience. If by any chance, we consider the suggestion of counting accumulated round wins, it only makes sense that we consider a system where each round actually counts for something, ie: Point System. That will definitely elevate tactics on what combo to use, who uses it, who it's facing against, etc.

2 for KOs
1 for OS
1 for Slip Out (awarded to the opponent)

A minimum of 3 points will end the BeyBattle.

Can you guys scream out "Attack galore" ??

3. For the love of internet, can you guys please use other image hosting site than imgur? That site has been banned in many countries, mine included. I can't see any of the pictures (or any imgur hosted pictures throughout the site for that matter). I wanna see too damn it. Stupid

EDIT:

BTW, I forgot to say that I'm beyond glad that this event worked out, and hope that everybody had a great time. Apologies on behalf of the staffs if there's any that went wrong with the format. It's still in its infancy, and we all definitely plan on making it a staple format for the WBO Organized Play. Do leave feedback here or in any other threads or via PMs if you have any concern or suggestion. Your opinions will shape the Team Format for the better. Cheers.

Props to Kei for hosting it.
Yes it would be helpful for me as my browser blocks Imgur.
Uwik Wrote:1. Kei, how long did it take from registration to the end for 4 teams event?

I'll just answer this one for Scott, haha. Anyhow, I believe it ended at around 2:45-3:00-ish.
(Sep. 29, 2014  12:55 PM)SoaringRager Wrote: Yes it would be helpful for me as my browser blocks Imgur.

Kei added all the photographs on our Facebook Page.
(Sep. 29, 2014  5:24 AM)Uwik Wrote: 1. Kei, how long did it take from registration to the end for 4 teams event?

It's hard to say since I started registration before everyone arrived so I wasn't in any rush at first. But I would say around three and a half hours.

(Sep. 29, 2014  5:24 AM)Uwik Wrote: 2. I still have to think about the counting of total accumulated round wins as opposed to counting the teams' BeyBattle wins as they progressed through the event for the final winner.

Few of my concerns with the suggestion are:

- In the case of no tiebreakers ; No matter what, the winning team will have the most number of total accumulated round wins anyway.
- In the case of tiebreakers ; The 2nd best team that had a tiebreaker will end up with more round wins than the best team that had no tiebreaker despite perfect 3-0s record for their rounds. It still doesn't justify that the 2nd best team deserves to win, just because it had more rounds to play with in a tiebreaker.

Good points.

(Sep. 29, 2014  5:24 AM)Uwik Wrote: - If we were to count winning percentage based on rounds, then in B.O.D.'s particular case, wouldn't Team Blitzkreig Boyz have won with a 66,67% (20-10), instead of Team DAY BREAKERS with 63,64% (21-12)? How would this work out?

Frankly speaking, with the current WBO's system that only counts basic wins and losses in a BeyBattle, instead of Point System, it's unnecessary to count round wins. We had already taken a leap with counting the accumulated round wins to determine BeyBattle wins, and that has proven to be great and presented fresh event experience. If by any chance, we consider the suggestion of counting accumulated round wins, it only makes sense that we consider a system where each round actually counts for something, ie: Point System. That will definitely elevate tactics on what combo to use, who uses it, who it's facing against, etc.

2 for KOs
1 for OS
1 for Slip Out (awarded to the opponent)

A minimum of 3 points will end the BeyBattle.

Can you guys scream out "Attack galore" ??

Yeah, I agree about us already taking a leap by counting round wins to determine Team BeyBattle wins. I know you love that Point System ... it would be something interesting to consider. It might be appropriate especially for Team Format by adding even more tactical options for teams when they are considering what to do in a particular BeyBattle.

(Sep. 29, 2014  5:24 AM)Uwik Wrote: 3. For the love of internet, can you guys please use other image hosting site than imgur? That site has been banned in many countries, mine included. I can't see any of the pictures (or any imgur hosted pictures throughout the site for that matter). I wanna see too damn it. Stupid

Haha sorry! Suggest a good new one I can use and I will! But they are on Facebook, like Kai-V said.
Don't you think Attack types will have advantages if we award two points toward KO's and only 1 for OS?

I still like it though. It makes me feel like the Metal Fight Explosion WC Qualifiers. 😆
SoaringRager Wrote:Don't you think Attack types will have advantages if we award two points toward KO's and only 1 for OS?

Solid point, SoaringRager, just what I was thinking myself. I don't see how it is fair and why knockouts are getting more of the advantage than out spins, either. Can a reason be given on why that's so, as well, Uwik?

On another note, I assume individual matches will still be processed, correct? All would be lost for me if that wasn't so anymore, as B.O.D was the only tournament where I managed to only receive wins and no losses, haha.
Using Attack types is always regarded as 'superior', especially in the context of a tournament. As I mentioned somewhere, a metagame with a majority of Attack types is a healthy metagame. TAKARA-TOMY understands this, hence why the rules of Beyblade have always allowed two points for a knock out.
It is also with bigger reward (2 pts) comes bigger risk (1 pt for Slip Out / Self KO for the opponent).