Attitudes

Isn't there a (meme?) rule that says do not take the internet too seriously?
...well the point is we want to make this the best beyblading community where people can intelligently discuss things and easily find information
Oh, and since I haven't said it, I just want to say this: I honestly haven't really noticed any abuse, or really even any sarcasm, from moderators in response to someone not following the rules.

Some users, however, I have seen put down/abuse other users for not following the rules.
I think that's the biggest problem. I don't see why some do that as opposed to using the report button. I mean, it's there for a reason.
For the most part, I have not encountered any problems with staff, members who have been here longer than I, and newer members. However, from what I've seen, and I think quite a few people have mentioned this already, I believe that there must be some sort of reform in the method that older members deal with newer ones. When I first joined the WBO, I initially thought that this Forum was going to be like any other one; one where I can post whatever and whenever I want. But soon after, I learned that I should not post threads that are not contentious and have no deeper meaning to them. Although there were some older members that were mildly grunt in how the dealt with me, the majority of people were very approachable and friendly when dealing with me.

I feel that if the same kindness by older members was shown to me two months ago, I believe we can still continue doing the same to newer member. If everyone can show a bit of kindness and tolerance (to a certain extent before the thread becomes ridiculous), then it will be easier for the newer members to adhere to the rules, and have an overall good perception of the WBO. I say that because there seems to be a a recent outburst of impatience when dealing with newer members, from what I've seen anyway.

With that being said, newer members must change as well. As much as we try to encourage our community to be engaged in deeper levels of thinking, and contentious conversations, it's rather unfortunate to see that some newer, and more so than often younger members, will post threads that have no real meaning, which results in thread closures, warnings, reports, and possibly even expulsion from the WBO. Since the adherence to the rules in this Forum is stressed, it may be harder for the younger ones to "think before [they] post".

All in all, I want to say that the moderators, administrators, and the rest of the staff have been doing a more than fantastic job in keeping the peace. The WBO Site itself as of right now doesn't really need to be changed in my opinion; I feel that the warning system and reporting system are quite fair. But the only real change that is necessary is how we, the more "senior" members deal with the newer ones, and most newer members must read the PM before posting, thinking before posting, and the like.
(Aug. 03, 2010  9:57 PM)Kai Hiwatari Wrote: Apparently, everyone needs to re-read the first post. It appears most people who have posted in the last 2 pages have forgotten what this topic was about.

Its about not getting an attitude or taking offense when a member of staff points out the correct way to do something.

...Actually no, this is exactly what this topic is about.
(Aug. 04, 2010  8:42 PM)Pockyx3 Wrote:
(Aug. 03, 2010  9:57 PM)Kai Hiwatari Wrote: Apparently, everyone needs to re-read the first post. It appears most people who have posted in the last 2 pages have forgotten what this topic was about.

Its about not getting an attitude or taking offense when a member of staff points out the correct way to do something.

...Actually no, this is exactly what this topic is about.

You misunderstood what Kai Hiwatari said. You're basically agreeing with him.
(Aug. 04, 2010  8:47 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: You misunderstood what Kai Hiwatari said. You're basically agreeing with him.

Wait...What? I'm confused. Confused
Can you reword his sentance please?
He DID NOT say this:

Its not about getting an attitude or taking offense when a member of staff points out the correct way to do something.

but instead, he said this:

so basically be saying that this is exactly what this thread os about, you are agreeing with him.
I wish you would all just stop arguing.

It's a simple fact: new-comers unless you read all the rules and know what you are talking about: don't complain to us about being harsh. There are like 30 of you every week and you all break the rules and then get pissed off because we are tired of dealing with it, loose the freaking attitude.
(Aug. 06, 2010  11:19 PM)MaxL Wrote: I wish you would all just stop arguing.

It's a simple fact: new-comers unless you read all the rules and know what you are talking about: don't complain to us about being harsh. There are like 30 of you every week and you all break the rules and then get pissed off because we are tired of dealing with it, loose the freaking attitude.

Users have a right to complain when people treat them like how you just did...

Your argument doesn't really make sense because you're treating all the people affected as if they're one person/body; not all of them break the rules and not all of them have an attitude. You, on the other hand, exemplify what many users, including myself, express concern about. Unless a moderator starts being as unpleasant as you, I don't think you should act the way you just did.

Regardless of how frustrated you are, there is always a certain respect that one should be given, even if it is on the internet.
(Aug. 07, 2010  1:44 AM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote:

Your argument doesn't really make sense because you're treating all the people affected as if they're one person/body; not all of them break the rules and not all of them have an attitude. You, on the other hand, exemplify what many users, including myself, express concern about. Unless a moderator starts being as unpleasant as you, I don't think you should act the way you just did.

Regardless of how frustrated you are, there is always a certain respect that one should be given, even if it is on the internet.

I used to feel this way when I first started posting here. I used to be like "WE MUST RESPECT EVERYONE." but the more and more it happens, the more and more I get sick of it.

People need to read the rules BEFORE they post. Besides, even if they ask the wrong question in the wrong thread I still give them the answer. I'm just getting frustrated of people making new threads for no reason, for posting just because they want to post and have nothing constructive to say, and most of all... "What do I get ____ from?" when it's an answer that can be easily gotten off the BeyWiki.

Ignorance is no excuse. I don't hate new-comers or anything but they tend to follow this trend where it's like...

POSTPOSTPOST

EDIT: I'm not talking about all users just the 90% that have a stupid idea that they can fight with moderators because they are pissed off that the moderators are telling them not to post. There are a few new users who aren't actually half bad, it's just a majority of them... POSTPOSTPOST
(Aug. 07, 2010  2:15 AM)MaxL Wrote:
(Aug. 07, 2010  1:44 AM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote:

I used to feel this way when I first started posting here. I used to be like "WE MUST RESPECT EVERYONE." but the more and more it happens, the more and more I get sick of it.

People need to read the rules BEFORE they post. Besides, even if they ask the wrong question in the wrong thread I still give them the answer. I'm just getting frustrated of people making new threads for no reason, for posting just because they want to post and have nothing constructive to say, and most of all... "What do I get ____ from?" when it's an answer that can be easily gotten off the BeyWiki.

Ignorance is no excuse. I don't hate new-comers or anything but they tend to follow this trend where it's like...

POSTPOSTPOST

EDIT: I'm not talking about all users just the 90% that have a stupid idea that they can fight with moderators because they are pissed off that the moderators are telling them not to post. There are a few new users who aren't actually half bad, it's just a majority of them... POSTPOSTPOST

You speak of the "majority" and yet I haven't seen anything like what you're saying. At best, I think I recall seeing 1 user get upset over being moderated, and I can't really recall any fighting the moderators. And more so, I don't recall any users posting as much as you seem to think. They might make one unnecessary post, but usually when they're told that they shouldn't post like that, they stop.

I think you're overreacting, and getting frustrated over something...... that, well, frankly, isn't happening. :\
Oh, actually there are several users every week who post, get their topic deleted, post again, etc.

Also, you do not see how many private messages I get from kids who are really 'frustrated' that I have warned them or that they have reached a suspension hahah. "HOW DARE YOU!!!!" hah. So, in a sense I do not think there are too many over-reactions in this thread, but I just think some people should simply keep posting, and we will do our jobs, and we do it fairly in my opinion.

I do not think you can blame us for "flaming" somebody who makes a new topic called "Build me a combo" in the Beyblade Customizations forum when there is already a stickied thread with exactly the same title, hah. This has seriously already happened, by the way.
(Aug. 07, 2010  3:13 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Oh, actually there are several users every week who post, get their topic deleted, post again, etc.

Also, you do not see how many private messages I get from kids who are really 'frustrated' that I have warned them or that they have reached a suspension hahah. "HOW DARE YOU!!!!" hah. So, in a sense I do not think there are too many over-reactions in this thread, but I just think some people should simply keep posting, and we will do our jobs, and we do it fairly in my opinion.

I do not think you can blame us for "flaming" somebody who makes a new topic called "Build me a combo" in the Beyblade Customizations forum when there is already a stickied thread with exactly the same title, hah. This has seriously already happened, by the way.

Ah, you have a point. I hadn't really considered that they PM you, Pinching_eyes_2
this is the worst thread ever. stop complaining and be grateful for what you have.

(to the users, not the staff)
Extic: Registration Date: Jul 28 2010

Until you actually sit through a month of seeing the same things happen over and over again I'm not taking your opinion into consideration.

Like I said, I was once like you and got really ticked off when I saw people being rude on the forum.

Hah, stick around and you might figure out why once you answer the same question 20 times that has an easy answer on the Beywiki. Not all new members are like this but a lot of them are.
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: this is the worst thread ever. stop complaining and be grateful for what you have.

This x12
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:24 AM)MaxL Wrote: Extic: Registration Date: Jul 28 2010

Until you actually sit through a month of seeing the same things happen over and over again I'm not taking your opinion into consideration.

Like I said, I was once like you and got really ticked off when I saw people being rude on the forum.

Hah, stick around and you might figure out why once you answer the same question 20 times that has an easy answer on the Beywiki. Not all new members are like this but a lot of them are.
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: this is the worst thread ever. stop complaining and be grateful for what you have.

This x12

Now you're just making it clear that you bring the frustration upon yourself. Why don't you either: 1] Not answer the question, or 2] Point them to the beywiki?
And for other types of things, simply report them! A regular user has no reason to be frustrated by things like that.
If you're really getting frustrated over something which you have no responsibility over, nor a duty to respond to, you're bringing it upon yourself and going out of your way just to get frustrated.
And on the topic of the beywiki, it's a nice resource, but it's not completely comprehensive, and it can be hard to find what you're looking for [if it's even on there].
You're basically taking matters personally when you have no reason to. You should just cool down and hit report, or give them a simple answer. It shouldn't be frustrating you. :\
And I don't see how my being new has any real relation to my understanding of matters like this. I can imagine something like the same question being asked repeatedly being frustrating if it's your position to answer them, but it's not, so it shouldn't be frustrating. And if you're going out of your way to help people, you should be happy to give them answers they want, not frustrated that you've answered the same question before.
I'll give you that I don't understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's got a thing to do with my being new, Speechless

I don't understand how a thread that's basically trying to get users to do exactly what you're telling them to do in that post is the worst thread ever. :\
I meant everyone's responses have made this thread terrible.

Quote:And I don't see how my being new has any real relation to my understanding of matters like this.

lol
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:36 AM)Extic Wrote: I'll give you that I don't understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's got a thing to do with my being new, Speechless

I find it kind of funny that because you're new, you haven't seen the also new people making the same points as you (although less poignantly).

I do do what you say. I answer questions, and am never (or rarely) short with new members. I report spam instead of posting a spam-like response. However, it is very, very frustrating to see the front page of Beyblade General littered with pointless (closed) threads. It is frustrating to see members post responses like "ok" or "k". It is frustrating to have to dig through 20 pages of useless speculation to find that one post you need. I try to vent my frustration in other places, but after a while, it becomes impossible to ignore the copious amounts of pointless posts new members make.

And it's not just new members. Sometimes older ones can make mistakes too. I don't fault people for making mistakes; to err is human. But it's very frustrating to see someone continually make the same mistakes over and over while making no attempt to correct their behaviour.

[/rant]
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:50 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I meant everyone's responses have made this thread terrible.

Quote:And I don't see how my being new has any real relation to my understanding of matters like this.

lol

To the first part: Okay, I can agree with that, heh.

To the lol: I still don't see it. Unless me staying here longer will give me the irresistible urge to answer other people's questions, especially questions that have been asked time upon time, I can't see how my stance will change.
And if that does happen, I'll be infinitely surprised.
But, then again, even if it does happen, as I've said, I would take joy in helping people find the answers to their questions, regardless of their laziness.

I really can't see why it's frustrating. If the staff of this site didn't handle it as well as they do, I could understand it, but they handle it amazingly well....... so yeah. Chief - Sigh ...
As both MaxL and Daegor have clearly sated, stick around before you pass judgment on the general atmosphere of this site.

Perspectives change; so will yours. Speechless
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:56 AM)Daegor42 Wrote:
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:36 AM)Extic Wrote: I'll give you that I don't understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's got a thing to do with my being new, Speechless

I find it kind of funny that because you're new, you haven't seen the also new people making the same points as you (although less poignantly).

I do do what you say. I answer questions, and am never (or rarely) short with new members. I report spam instead of posting a spam-like response. However, it is very, very frustrating to see the front page of Beyblade General littered with pointless (closed) threads. It is frustrating to see members post responses like "ok" or "k". It is frustrating to have to dig through 20 pages of useless speculation to find that one post you need. I try to vent my frustration in other places, but after a while, it becomes impossible to ignore the copious amounts of pointless posts new members make.

And it's not just new members. Sometimes older ones can make mistakes too. I don't fault people for making mistakes; to err is human. But it's very frustrating to see someone continually make the same mistakes over and over while making no attempt to correct their behaviour.

[/rant]

Yeah, I've noticed that you're very good at dealing with people/keeping frustration out of your posts.
However, I can understand getting frustrated over these things, and posting with the frustration in them....... but I think there are ways that one can express their frustration without blatantly insulting others. Wink
You can make one feel bad about what they've been doing and want to change, as well as express your frustration, by simply telling them what they're doing/that it's done a lot/that they've done it a lot [if they have]. Tongue_out
It's a lot easier to make someone want to change by using a more mature expression of your frustrations than by insulting them.
If someone just gets insulted, they won't want to change, and will feel victimized, and then they can easily make out the users that generally help out to be the villains. Speechless
Granted, I haven't really seen anything that heavy going on here, but some people or more of a "drama queen" than I, especially younger people [though not all of them], so I dunno. :\
Frankly, I think as a whole the users handle it rather well, but there are just some shining points of negativity [most of which I've seen in this topic, heh, making me think that it's giving you guys bad memories of all the frustrations you've been given, frustrating you more than regular, Tongue_out].
(Aug. 07, 2010  5:03 AM)The LVJ Wrote:
(Aug. 07, 2010  4:36 AM)Extic Wrote:
As both MaxL and Daegor have clearly sated, stick around before you pass judgment on the general atmosphere of this site.

Perspectives change; so will yours. Speechless

Eh, I'm not saying that my views/judgements won't change, I just can't really see it happening.
I mean, I've spent a lot of time at message boards where the behavior that isn't allowed on this site is allowed, so it doesn't seem as big a deal to me. Speechless
I mean, I think if I were trying to run a site with stricter regulations like this site, I might understand, but then it would be a form of "work" which is somewhat different.
I think the users who get the most frustrated just need to lighten up and realize that it's you're free time, and you should be having fun, not getting frustrated by others disregard of the rules for no reason/on behalf of the mods. Just hit the report button and it's all smiles. Cute

However, I will admit that my stance could change, so don't take this as me saying "I'm right and you're wrong", as I, like you've said, haven't been here for particularly long, so my stance could change over time.

Sorry if I said anything to offend anyone, btw, it's not my intention to, I'm just trying to voice how I feel on this subject. :\
(Aug. 07, 2010  5:09 AM)Extic Wrote: You can make one feel bad about what they've been doing and want to change, as well as express your frustration, by simply telling them what they're doing/that it's done a lot/that they've done it a lot [if they have]. Tongue_out

On that point, you should know that quoting long passages or doing incessent quote-in-quoting is a big no-no. Also, there are users who continually fail to change their ways even when guided gently. This is the root of a lot of frustration.

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:09 AM)Extic Wrote: It's a lot easier to make someone want to change by using a more mature expression of your frustrations than by insulting them.
If someone just gets insulted, they won't want to change, and will feel victimized, and then they can easily make out the users that generally help out to be the villains. Speechless

You haven't been here long enough to see this, but there have been times I have been told to "shut up" when posting helpful non-condescending advice. Some people just don't want to be told their parts don't work well together.

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:09 AM)Extic Wrote: Granted, I haven't really seen anything that heavy going on here, but some people or more of a "drama queen" than I, especially younger people [though not all of them], so I dunno. :\

Minor quibble. It is not necessarily younger people who do all of this. There have been older (as in age) members who cannot seem to control themselves emotionally.

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:09 AM)Extic Wrote: I mean, I've spent a lot of time at message boards where the behavior that isn't allowed on this site is allowed, so it doesn't seem as big a deal to me. Speechless

I have also seen many message boards with more lax regulations. However, this is a board designed for a game advertised towards children. Strict guidance must be adhered to or else it becomes nearly impossible to find useful information.

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:09 AM)Extic Wrote: I think the users who get the most frustrated just need to lighten up and realize that it's you're free time, and you should be having fun, not getting frustrated by others disregard of the rules for no reason/on behalf of the mods. Just hit the report button and it's all smiles. Cute

But it's because it's their free time that they get outraged. Not everybody has the time to dig through 10 pages of spam to find information about new releases.
(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: Minor quibble. It is not necessarily younger people who do all of this. There have been older (as in age) members who cannot seem to control themselves emotionally.
There's also been much more of that in this site's past.
(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: On that point, you should know that quoting long passages or doing incessent quote-in-quoting is a big no-no. Also, there are users who continually fail to change their ways even when guided gently. This is the root of a lot of frustration.
Ah, okay, I'll work on better use of my quoting. I'm still not quite used to the format of quoting on this site, and I usually end up being a rather quote heavy person, so I'll work on that. Stupid

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: You haven't been here long enough to see this, but there have been times I have been told to "shut up" when posting helpful non-condescending advice. Some people just don't want to be told their parts don't work well together.
Ah, you're right. That is a situation I can easily see people being unnecessarily frustrated regardless of the tone of the advice. Pinching_eyes_2
But, in that case, the report button seems the responsible option, after which you can just remove the post from your mind.

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: I have also seen many message boards with more lax regulations. However, this is a board designed for a game advertised towards children. Strict guidance must be adhered to or else it becomes nearly impossible to find useful information.
Oh, I agree completely. I'm just saying that I can't imagine myself being frustrated by something I've been dealing with for so long. :\

(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: But it's because it's their free time that they get outraged. Not everybody has the time to dig through 10 pages of spam to find information about new releases.
Ah, I hadn't really thought of that either. But I've found that information on this site is rather easy to find, explaining why I hadn't really thought of that as a problem.
I can imagine that that could become irritating, but I still don't see it as a cause of frustration.
I'm not really tech savvy, but I think some of that could be solved by having the ability to completely remove posts on the site, rather than just having them be edited by moderators. I don't know if that's an option, though. Pinching_eyes
Also, just want to add a disclaimer in case a said something that can be taken in a bad way: I wasn't trying to, and I apologize if I said something like that.
(Aug. 07, 2010  5:19 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: Minor quibble. It is not necessarily younger people who do all of this. There have been older (as in age) members who cannot seem to control themselves emotionally.
Ah, yeah, I can imagine that. I just think that younger people can get more easily offended by things in general [though not always]. Pinching_eyes
When you've had less experience in the world, things can often seem worse than they are.
Although that can easily apply to older, since you aren't automatically doled out life experiences through the years, heh. Tongue_out