Attitudes

(Aug. 03, 2010  7:09 PM)Lemonyblader Wrote: haha well i thought you guys would just like to hear outside opinions from someone who isnt a mod or an admin(guess not) you guys might as well just have talked to eachother outside of the forum about this problem

Opinions are welcomed. That's why this thread is here, and the mods here are more than friendly if you need to talk to them about a dispute or problem you have. Maybe you haven't been around here long enough to get used to their posting style personally, but it's true.

Opinions turn from welcome to unwelcome when they come across as malicious, or rude however.

I moderate a sports site that has a constant 2000+ users online. I can speak from experience that moderating can be a pain in the carp, and very frustrating at times. I don't blame the mods here for anything, because they are very friendly and helpful, and truly enjoy the hobby.
its fine i really dont take any of this personally i like constructive criticism it helps me out as a person. id go crazy if i took everything personally on here haha
(Aug. 03, 2010  7:19 PM)Corey Wrote: I moderate a sports site that has a constant 2000+ users online.

Wow... must be hard work! I read a couple of your posts today, and this goes to all the mods as well as some users out there... they know who they are lmao, and I would like to say that their posting (as well as yours) is mostly of positive nature and the rare times there not, it adds to the thread. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank you guys and girls for the awesome effort!
I don't know how I didn't see this before, however nobody will probably read this other than the people who listen, anyways

(Aug. 02, 2010  8:37 PM)Sora Wrote: I thought that Kei was overly cold because i said 'Escolpio looks cool' and he gave me 10% even though it was my first post

This was completely reasonable however since if you read the Pm'ed rules you would have known to not post such a thing, if that was the only thing you said/posted.

Anyways like I probably said before I have no problems with members acting moderators as long as they know what they are talking about, this goes along with members helping each other as well. Moderators have less work to do, people still learn, and this promotes better posters.

OFF TOPIC: I love of how many moderators/admins say "Yo" Joyful_3
(Aug. 03, 2010  7:32 PM)Pockyx3 Wrote: OFF TOPIC: I love of how many moderators/admins say "Yo" Joyful_3

This Smile

And anyways we should all be happy that there is a forum for beyblading in the first place! 2 weeks ago, I didn't know this existed.
I moderate a sports site that has a constant 2000+ users online. I can speak from experience that moderating can be a pain in the carp, and very frustrating at times. I don't blame the mods here for anything, because they are very friendly and helpful, and truly enjoy the hobby.
[/quote]

thats crazy im a administrator for a forum for glass collectors and aficionados for a glass magazine we have about 5000 active members and i know how hectic it gets sometimes and its really hard work so i do appriciate all the admins and mods on here cause i know its a annoying job( but i get paid so cause its my everyday job)
(Aug. 03, 2010  7:38 PM)Lemonyblader Wrote: thats crazy im a administrator for a forum for glass collectors and aficionados for a glass magazine we have about 5000 active members and i know how hectic it gets sometimes and its really hard work so i do appriciate all the admins and mods on here cause i know its a annoying job( but i get paid so cause its my everyday job)

..How ironic is it that I'm reminding you in a topic about attitudes to stay on topic?
I'm not trying to be snappy or short tempered but this is rather sad.

EDIT:My post was rather offensive, sorry if you took it the wrong way.
I think one of the largest issues here is that Beyblade doesn't currently have the popularity it did half a decade ago, so all of these young kids search for a website find this because it is one of the few ones available. Whereas, half a decade ago when they searched you'd get two or three full pages of websites. This site has attempted to reclaim the serious stance and competitiveness fostered on Beyblade that Beydamashii and OTC once had, but that means it is only going to be understandable to the older crowd. This is partially due to the complex nature of the competitive game and the fact that the users here are talking about things that will not be available to the target audience for another year.

I honestly don't think that you are going to get a child in the 2nd-5th grades to be able to communicate as efficiently and as maturely as is expected here, so I think the easiest solution would be to make it so that a user has to state that they are over 13 because otherwise you are going to continue getting these "immature" people that you all dislike dealing with so much.
No, we will never impose an age limit. People over the age of 13 are equally likely to make bad posts as those under the age threshold. Besides, it is extremely easy to circumvent such procedures.

We don't dislike dealing with "these immature people". It is frustrating over an extended period of time, but at no point did we say we would like to bar them from WBO. Don't put words in our mouths.
(Aug. 03, 2010  7:52 PM)Gigusei Wrote: I honestly don't think that you are going to get a child in the 2nd-5th grades to be able to communicate as efficiently and as maturely as is expected here, so I think the easiest solution would be to make it so that a user has to state that they are over 13 because otherwise you are going to continue getting these "immature" people that you all dislike dealing with so much.

However beyblade is a children's game, it may be a game, and some people like us may play it, but it was created for children. What is the point in making an age limit so only older bladers can join?

Anyways many people can just click the "yes I am 13 years or older" button, it wouldn't change a thing.

EDIT: Beaten.
(Aug. 03, 2010  7:52 PM)Gigusei Wrote: ...I think the easiest solution would be to make it so that a user has to state that they are over 13 because otherwise you are going to continue getting these "immature" people that you all dislike dealing with so much.

Age != Maturity.

See Diamond, a moderator who is not over 13.

EDIT: Double beaten... but I only typed two lines. Sad...
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Special-Moves If you are willing to try to help these new members why did no senior member of the staff here let that thread continue, there was no explanation that there are no special moves. Furthermore, it could have been ended by someone simply posting a link to a launching technique article that has to exist on the wiki. Instead at best you had the founder of the website mocking members for even suggesting such things and playing along sarcastically, I don't think that is show any amount of respect for new members even if they are immature.

I am not putting words in your mouth, I'm simply showing what your actions seem to be saying in themselves.
(Jan. 04, 2008  8:41 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: This is comedy gold.

Also, Draciel MS Holder: I think you mean Tornado. Toronto is a city in Canada.

Yes, there are special shooting techniques you can use, such as sliding shoot, gattyaki, banking ... I will try to get comprehensive articles up soon.

(Jan. 05, 2008  11:38 AM)KoD Wrote: Yeah, this is real fun when it's actually some noob who comes posting about crazy carp attacks, etc, but the guy just wants some info on actual launch techniques...

postcount++ y/n?

Until the Wiki articles get done, you can check some of the basic launch techniques here: http://web.archive.org/web/2005021314370.../form.html

(Jan. 31, 2008  3:50 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: There's no such thing as special moves. This "dragoon storm" move is how pretty much every attack Beyblade moves.

You're keen to point out our mistakes, but if it bothered you that much, you would have reported it.
(Aug. 03, 2010  8:01 PM)Gigusei Wrote: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Special-Moves If you are willing to try to help these new members why did no senior member of the staff here let that thread continue, there was no explanation that there are no special moves. Furthermore, it could have been ended by someone simply posting a link to a launching technique article that has to exist on the wiki. Instead at best you had the founder of the website mocking members for even suggesting such things and playing along sarcastically, I don't think that is show any amount of respect for new members even if they are immature.

I am not putting words in your mouth, I'm simply showing what your actions seem to be saying in themselves.

Is this playing around?

(Jan. 04, 2008  8:41 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Yes, there are special shooting techniques you can use, such as sliding shoot, gattyaki, banking ... I will try to get comprehensive articles up soon.

He also explained that there are launching methods which is what the original topic starter meant, also to boot this was roughly 2 years ago when the wbo could be considered rather new.

EDIT: Again beaten Pinching_eyes_2
Honestly, no I wouldn't have because I recently came back to this site after a year or so hiatus, and this thread was open asking for opinions. I have a fairly unbiased opinion and was stating what I see. The fact that you have become hostile towards me for saying what I thought shows that there really isn't any interest in changing how the experienced members behave so ultimately, this thread is more or less pointless if the staff is unwilling to change their behavior.

The simplest solutions are make penalties for the obvious behavior issues like typing in capslock, spam, reviving dead threads and if there are infractions do something about it because when you have a 2 year old thread on the front page of the forum thatt isn't relevant or helpful to those who would come here in search of information it will cause misconceptions.

I'm aware that most of these are likely rules, but the problem sounds like it could be fixed by simply enforcing the basics until you get the desired level of communication.
I wasn't hostile. We consistently make it clear that if something is amiss which we haven't picked up, you should make use of our Report Button.
(Aug. 03, 2010  8:10 PM)Gigusei Wrote: The fact that you have become hostile towards me

That was all that I needed to hear, we aren't being hostile to you we are doing what this topic is about, we're changing your attitude.
Really if this is all what you're making out this, you aren't any better then the new members.

Honestly, stop digging yourself into a hole.

EDIT: Beaten, three times in a row! Argh!
I'm not concerned about how deep my hole is. How can you expect this to be a place where people can freely communicate their ideas if the new members are going to have to conform to what the community has decided. I can understand this in terms of Driger F is a horrible beyblade and in no situation would ever outclass Bistool, but to say that a member's opinions on the staff are incorrect because the staff doesn't like my attitude when I am trying to provide constructive criticism is rather outrageous.
Actually if this is about your opinion for the 13 year old thing, your "opinion" is indeed incorrect.
"The WBO will never impose an age limit" that's the end of the story, and you should end it here too.

Also since when did we ever say that "we don't like your attitude"? We're just saying that it won't happen. You are indeed putting words into our mouths.
Quote:yo people like you are the problem, not the solution. I think a big issue here is that people just don't know when to stop talking.

Hi, im a fairly new member and I respect Bey Brad for founding this forum because without it, where would beyblade be today? but I believe this is exactly the problem. I know it was a response to another post, but there is nothing constructive and it is honestly just rude. Like I stated I'm a new member so I hold no ranking and take no sides in the argument, this thread shouldn't be about user's attitudes against mods, it should be everyone's attitude in general. If you don't have something constructive to say then why say it? Also i just want to say to Bey Brad that I'm sorry i used you as an example as I really do respect you I just couldn't let this slip when in fact this is the entire counter argument about "high ranking members"
(Aug. 03, 2010  8:48 PM)trigun1002 Wrote: this thread shouldn't be about user's attitudes against mods, it should be everyone's attitude in general.

...This part was the only real thing I could grasp correctly from your message. =/
Anyways this thread is indeed about everyone's attitude, not about attitudes to moderators.
(Aug. 03, 2010  8:48 PM)trigun1002 Wrote:
Quote:yo people like you are the problem, not the solution. I think a big issue here is that people just don't know when to stop talking.

Hi, im a fairly new member and I respect Bey Brad for founding this forum because without it, where would beyblade be today? but I believe this is exactly the problem. I know it was a response to another post, but there is nothing constructive and it is honestly just rude. Like I stated I'm a new member so I hold no ranking and take no sides in the argument, this thread shouldn't be about user's attitudes against mods, it should be everyone's attitude in general. If you don't have something constructive to say then why say it? Also i just want to say to Bey Brad that I'm sorry i used you as an example as I really do respect you I just couldn't let this slip when in fact this is the entire counter argument about "high ranking members"

You shouldn't give any leeway to a person because of other things they've done, or what they're doing.
That's exactly the kind of thing that breeds further discord and creates further problems between moderators and regular users.
If someone does something wrong, you shouldn't apologize for using it as an example. Confused
Quote:You shouldn't give any leeway to a person because of other things they've done, or what they're doing.
That's exactly the kind of thing that breeds further discord and creates further problems between moderators and regular users.
If someone does something wrong, you shouldn't apologize for using it as an example. Confused

i know, however im the last person who has any real authority to point something out, plus i didn't want to be rude about it. I honestly respect him, and equally respect everyone else on the forum users or mods.
i would just like to give a shout out to everyone who has been getting involved in this forum and the admins/mods for making this all possible and everyone for voicing there opinions for the good of this forum and beyblading Stupid

idk if it will mean much but THANK YOU!!
Apparently, everyone needs to re-read the first post. It appears most people who have posted in the last 2 pages have forgotten what this topic was about.

Its about not getting an attitude or taking offense when a member of staff points out the correct way to do something.