Attitudes

It's come to my attention that numerous members are unhappy with the way that moderators and higher ranked members are acting, taking what is being said as a personal assault or uncalled for.

This is something that needs to stop, as it's becoming a problem.

If someones telling you not to post something, or somewhere, there is almost always a good reason for it.

Whether it's because there is already a thread about the item or question, or at times (quite simply) because what your saying has already been said multiple times before.

People need to stop taking offense, when it is in fact them who are offending others and the forums rules.

We don't like to tell you off. We don't do it to belittle you, or for our own gain, we don't do it for the sake of it. We do it because we want to preserve this forum, we want to make it easy for people to find the information they want to find.

This however is starting to become impossible with the amount of repeated "I like this bey, I'm getting one!", and other similar comments.

So, I'll say what everyone here should already know.
If you don't want to get warned, or complained at, then just follow the rules.

Search before you post, don't be abusive, and think before you speak.
(Aug. 02, 2010  7:03 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: I have a feeling this thread won't be read -.-

Me as well. The people who need to read this are the ones who are least likely to. Sigh...
And yet this thread still isn't addressing the real issue. It's more like addressing spam. Not necessarily people needing to watch what they say and some "high ranked" members acting as Mods. and some mods acting like new members. I would be glad to name some members but that's unfair. This thread will most likely get ignored since the issue is so two-sided.
Well we'll be implementing a big change for the forum soon.
We'll see what happens then.
But we're more than willing to hear your side, this is the point.
All we ever see a violent outbursts from members, never a structured argument.
Tell us what you're thinking, and we can work out how to make it better.
(Aug. 02, 2010  7:35 PM)Ozzy Wrote: And yet this thread still isn't addressing the real issue. It's more like addressing spam. Not necessarily people needing to watch what they say and some "high ranked" members acting as Mods. and some mods acting like new members. I would be glad to name some members but that's unfair. This thread will most likely get ignored since the issue is so two-sided.

This is pretty unhelpful. We're looking for transparency, not for you to harbour ill-will. If you have a problem, this is your chance to raise it.
What if we have issues with some older members and the way they're conducting themselves towards newer players? I'm talking specific cases here. Almost like a personal problem. Are we to discuss it in here? report them? or attempt to PM a mod and raise the concern in private?
I think the problem is that people don't understand what this forum is about. They ignored the rules.
They thought that the rules were gibberish/basics, like on other forums.
However, this forum doesn't approve of random posts, and such [tiny posts/reposted information/etc].
The rules are a bit complicated for the average random forum-goer, so they just ignore it, and get angry and offended when they break the rules they ignored.

I think if there was a guide about where to post everything, and what not to post where, that you were forced to read before being able to use the forums, that this problem wouldn't be so rampant.
Maybe even forcing users to take a quiz of the rules prior to posting? Uncertain
You have to remember though, when new members join a forum, usually they have the intention of looking for answers. They want the answer to a question, that probably has a topic already, but dont take the time to navigate and find it. So, they will post a topic about the question and then they learn quickly, usually from 2-3 "High Ranked" members and a mod, that it does not go there and they will post a link to the correct topic.

Now, this is precisely what should happen, but from what I have seen, (NOTE-this has not happened to me, I simply have observed this several times.) the "High Ranked" members usually can be a little arrogant about it and go about telling them where to go in a sort of unpleasant way. Simply being nicer to the new members would result in fewer complaints. I know it is troublesome and very annoying to the Mods to have to keep closing and redirecting traffic to the proper topic/forums, but all forums are like that. All forums have new members who will spam and post topics that already exist, usually not intentional, but its something that can't be stopped.

Once again, I have not had a problem with any of the staff or any member here for that matter, the staff here is great and handle everything in an outstanding matter, but I have noticed that the "Higher Ranked" members can act more calm and be nicer about explaining to new members that they messed up instead of insulting them or making them feel dumb.

I cant remember if new members are validated here or not, but if they are, including a copy of the Rules, and a somewhat map or guide to where certain topics of the Forums are located would possibly cut down on some of the Spam and unnecessary topics.
(Aug. 02, 2010  7:45 PM)theflightyellz Wrote: All we ever see a violent outbursts from members, never a structured argument.

Its gonna be hard trying to get 7-12 years olds to have a "Structured argument" . Its just natural for them to yell or get angry for you telling them there wrong (like you stated a little bit in your original post)

Also i think the mods may need to be a little more stricter with the newer members. Because if they see that other people are making threads and there just being taken down with really no punishment added on then they will continue it.

Personally I think we need a upgrade to the warning system.
If a mod has to close 3 threads , 3 give a warning for a post or one word post , or a combination of the two will be a auto 10% or 20% warning level added to the users account.
I suggest something like this because alot of the newer members post a bunch of threads like hey I just bought this beyblade or hey I have a question, or hey rock Aquario (you know the green ring thingy) 135 RF is a great combo. And the threads and post just get closed or deleted with maybe a PM being sent to the user about it.
With this new system it will immediately show the newer members not what to do , because honestly there not gonna read any PM's you send them concerning the rules (obviously if they did they would have the read first PM they got after they registered)
I personally don't think it's fair to instantly warn new members. We need to be forceful with them, but instantly warning just discourages people from staying around.
If they're repeat offenders, or obviously not even trying, then yes, we'll warn them.
But otherwise it feels overly cold.
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:07 PM)Train Wrote: What if we have issues with some older members and the way they're conducting themselves towards newer players? I'm talking specific cases here. Almost like a personal problem. Are we to discuss it in here? report them? or attempt to PM a mod and raise the concern in private?

PM a Committee member.
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:13 PM)Toonpenguin Wrote:
(Aug. 02, 2010  7:45 PM)theflightyellz Wrote: All we ever see a violent outbursts from members, never a structured argument.

Its gonna be hard trying to get 7-12 years olds to have a "Structured argument" . Its just natural for them to yell or get angry for you telling them there wrong (like you stated a little bit in your original post)

Also i think the mods may need to be a little more stricter with the newer members. Because if they see that other people are making threads and there just being taken down with really no punishment added on then they will continue it.

Personally I think we need a upgrade to the warning system.
If a mod has to close 3 threads , 3 give a warning for a post or one word post , or a combination of the two will be a auto 10% or 20% warning level added to the users account.
I suggest something like this because alot of the newer members post a bunch of threads like hey I just bought this beyblade or hey I have a question, or hey rock Aquario (you know the green ring thingy) 135 RF is a great combo. And the threads and post just get closed or deleted with maybe a PM being sent to the user about it.
With this new system it will immediately show the newer members not what to do , because honestly there not gonna read any PM's you send them concerning the rules (obviously if they did they would have the read first PM they got after they registered)

From what I have seen, when a user posts a topic that already exists, several people jump on their case and usually right then they know they have done wrong. Not to mention that a link to the appropriate topic/forum is posted. They tend to understand after that. Sending a PM to clarify after the topic is closed would probably be a good idea too. But warning new members that often will result in loss of members.
But this is the problem, it isn't just new members that act this way.
We half expect it from new members, but there are some people who've been here for weeks that just don't learn, they don't even make an attempt to change the way that they're behaving.
It's these members that worry us, since they so belligerently state that they are in the right.
Well, they should know better. Consistently active members should know better, but if they do post topics up in the wrong place or spam, after the other members say something(in most cases several say something to them)they should be Pm'd and if they continue to disobey, then a warning, and etc. But most reasonable members should know better, if not, then suspending them or even banning is a must.
Yeah I see your point. We just need to someone create a way to show them upfront that they need to follow the rules because we can report there post and answer there repeated questions for so long until this issue of older members getting really annoyed or frustrated with the newer members goes out of control

Maybe we could make a simple thread or something like top 100 asked questions. And send it to the Newer members and make it a requirement to reply to it and answer a randomly generated question sent to them about the thread (idk about the question requirement part but a 100 most asked question thread may help cut down on people asking the same questions)
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:21 PM)theflightyellz Wrote: I personally don't think it's fair to instantly warn new members. We need to be forceful with them, but instantly warning just discourages people from staying around.
If they're repeat offenders, or obviously not even trying, then yes, we'll warn them.
But otherwise it feels overly cold.

I thought that Kei was overly cold because i said 'Escolpio looks cool' and he gave me 10% even though it was my first post
With regards to the new members, most are quite young, so I think mods and users alike should remember that before putting them down.

I don't mind when the mods act like the way they do due to repetition and frustration, but I don't particularly like it when a regular user acts like a mod, and I hate it when newish users do the same. I personally think that, if you aren't a mod, and you're going to say something harsh, just leave the thread and let a mod deal with it. I've done this many a time on this site and I'd like to think I'm a nice guy here, apart from my initial spat with Brad and a few others, unlike those who act all jumped up whenever something isn't to their liking. Obviously you can say that backseat modding saves the time of the moderators and helps them, but it's not really your place to say something against another user.

/my two pennies.

Edit:

(Aug. 02, 2010  8:01 PM)theflightyellz Wrote: Don't need to be rude about it Squirrel.

lol, I suppose that, even though you may think you're not being rude, you can come across like a turd. My bad.

I think the above is just an example of how people need to be aware of how they come across to others. I thought I was being ok in the post theflightyellz was referring to, but I evidently wasn't.
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:42 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: With regards to the new members, most are quite young, so I think mods and users alike should remember that before putting them down.

I don't mind when the mods act like the way they do due to repetition and frustration, but I don't particularly like it when a regular user acts like a mod, and I hate it when newish users do the same. I personally think that, if you aren't a mod, and you're going to say something harsh, just leave the thread and let a mod deal with it. I've done this many a time on this site and I'd like to think I'm a nice guy here, apart from my initial spat with Brad and a few others, unlike those who act all jumped up whenever something isn't to their liking. Obviously you can say that backseat modding saves the time of the moderators and helps them, but it's not really your place to say something against another user.

/my two pennies.

Some of us have been with the community longer and used to hold various positions either modding or even administrating. I think it's all our responsibility to make sure this place runs smoothly with the ideal being: "Quick and accurate information easily accessible to all members." Being fair there have been times I've been on here and there wasn't a mod in sight either. Just leaving it and hoping it will get cleaned up eventually is fine, but I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say we prefer something a little more proactive.
But this is just it, you probably came across as a total carp for telling someone that what they're doing is "pointless".
It's so hard to go around this place without offending anyone, it's like treading on eggshells.
And this is just it, to get anything done as an admin member or moderator, you kind of have to be hated.
You have to tell people things they don't want to hear, you have to be harsh, or people just don't learn.
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:50 PM)Train Wrote:
(Aug. 02, 2010  8:42 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: /my two pennies.

Some of us have been with the community longer and used to hold various positions either modding or even administrating. I think it's all our responsibility to make sure this place runs smoothly with the ideal being: "Quick and accurate information easily accessible to all members." Being fair there have been times I've been on here and there wasn't a mod in sight either. Just leaving it and hoping it will get cleaned up eventually is fine, but I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say we prefer something a little more proactive.

But that's what causes users to feel people are being too strict on them...

If I did something stupid enough to be reprimanded for, I'd personally like it more if a mod told me rather than a regular user. I don't like it when people are condescending towards me, and I'd only listen to someone in authority.

Regardless of how long you've been a member or if you used to be a mod/someone important, the fact is that you're not anymore, and so you can't really have the same effect that a moderator has.
Our forum has always prided itself on members trying to make a difference though, and that's how we get mods, admin, that's how I got to the stage that I'm at now.
I suppose we could put it in to place that members shouldn't reprimand other members, and if they do then they'd be warned for it.
But if that were the case we'd need to take on large numbers of moderators just to cover the influx, it just wouldn't be plausible.
People really shouldn't even bring up that they think you're being strict. Just keep your thoughts to yourself. They should know that they can't change the way you are.
We agree to the TOS when we sign up here.

If rules aren't followed, the mods have the right to take any action necessary.

If anything, the moderators are too lenient.
Maybe the newer members get 1 week lee-way after that if they continue to make the random post, threads, etc. they should be subject to a punishment. I know you want to be nice to the newer members but giving them a 1 week lee-way to learn the rules is long enough to get them to adapt to the forums any time past that is just ignorance to follow the rules