Ask a question, get an answer! #2

I'm pretty sure that's a sort of modification, it might be illegal but I'm not sure.
(Feb. 22, 2015  1:12 PM)UW Detective Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's a sort of modification, it might be illegal but I'm not sure.

He's only using water.I don't think it counts as an illegal modification.
Ooops, my bad then haha. If I can do it I will do it to my Death Wheel.
(Feb. 22, 2015  12:38 PM)Paradox_Knight Wrote: I saw a couple vids abt how to make the metal ring strong by burning it at high temp water n then condensing it to cold water shld I try it?

I actually think the sudden change in temperature would make it weaker and more brittle, so more likely to break in battle. Even if I'm wrong about this I don't think there would necessarily be a positive effect to tampering with the Metal Wheel, so I wouldn't do it.
Not to mention, putting metal parts in water probably isn't the best idea. Like Wombat said, it would most likely lead to a bit weaker parts- but depending how long it remains wet could lead to corrosion or possibly rust, in the future.
(Feb. 22, 2015  12:38 PM)Paradox_Knight Wrote: I saw a couple vids abt how to make the metal ring strong by burning it at high temp water n then condensing it to cold water shld I try it?

Well you could. It depends on what you want, and what you mean by "stronger." If you want a harder ring it will be more brittle and if you want it to be stronger it will be more plastic and in that case you are annealing (300-400C for around three hours) rather than tempering.

The process to which you refer is called tempering and it is a process used to alter the physical properties of typically ferrous (iron) based alloys such as steel.

Metal wheels in Beyblade are not iron alloys, (you can tell because they are not magnetic.) I believe they are an aluminium alloy.

Treating steel is quite easy in comparison to aluminium, (which is a very involved process.) If you were to try this you would want the metal wheel to cool as slowly as possible, ideally in the absence of air. The temperature that you heat it to has to be very exact, within a 5C tolerance.

Without knowing what the exact alloy it is difficult to know what temperatures you need to be heating it to for the cutoff between annealing and tempering.

I doubt TT would have chosen the alloys for the metal wheels without consulting a metallurgist. In terms of their properties I imagine they are as close to being optimal as possible.
I guess hardening it is like using a Diamond sword instead of Steel, it's harder but it shatters much easier.
(Feb. 22, 2015  5:02 PM)trisd Wrote:

Well you could. It depends on what you want, and what you mean by "stronger." If you want a harder ring it will be more brittle and if you want it to be stronger it will be more plastic and in that case you are annealing (300-400C for around three hours) rather than tempering.

The process to which you refer is called tempering and it is a process used to alter the physical properties of typically ferrous (iron) based alloys such as steel.

Metal wheels in Beyblade are not iron alloys, (you can tell because they are not magnetic.) I believe they are an aluminium alloy.

Treating steel is quite easy in comparison to aluminium, (which is a very involved process.) If you were to try this you would want the metal wheel to cool as slowly as possible, ideally in the absence of air. The temperature that you heat it to has to be very exact, within a 5C tolerance.

Without knowing what the exact alloy it is difficult to know what temperatures you need to be heating it to for the cutoff between annealing and tempering.

I doubt TT would have chosen the alloys for the metal wheels without consulting a metallurgist. In terms of their properties I imagine they are as close to being optimal as possible.

Most metal parts of Beyblades (e.g. Weight Disks, Metal Wheels, Chrome Wheels, etc.) are made of diecast metal, so it's most likely some kind of zinc alloy. If they were made of aluminum, they'd probably be much lighter and more expensive to produce, right?
(Feb. 22, 2015  5:19 PM)UW Detective Wrote: I guess hardening it is like using a Diamond sword instead of Steel, it's harder but it shatters much easier.

You are spot on! Harder materials can yells finer bevels... i.e. much sharper but at the expense of being very brittle. The case in point is the Japanese sword and the manner in which it is forged and then differentially quenched. I used to collect them but I sold my collection when the kids arrived. I have some knowledge, but if I start to ramble I will be so off topic it will hurt!! LOL
Not sure if this is the place to post it in but:

[Image: 2l8yvrb.jpg]

What the heck are these? A shop sold these claiming they're Beyblades but these are NOT beyblades, at least it doesn't look like one that I have ever seen.
(Feb. 22, 2015  11:52 PM)UW Detective Wrote: Not sure if this is the place to post it in but:

[Image: 2l8yvrb.jpg]

What the heck are these? A shop sold these claiming they're Beyblades but these are NOT beyblades, at least it doesn't look like one that I have ever seen.

Look like a simple knock-off. I believe it may be something called a "Toop Top" (seen those in smaller toy stores and a smaller TRU before, not necessarily knock-off, just same concept, haha).
(Feb. 22, 2015  8:22 PM)Aɴɢʀʏ Fᴀᴄᴇ Wrote: Most metal parts of Beyblades (e.g. Weight Disks, Metal Wheels, Chrome Wheels, etc.) are made of diecast metal, so it's most likely some kind of zinc alloy. If they were made of aluminum, they'd probably be much lighter and more expensive to produce, right?

You are closer to the actualities than me, LOL. (My head was just not in the game yesterday.) My best guess would be some alloy contaning a combination of Al and Zn; a Zamak.

Zn is a more expensive than Al by approximately 10%. Zn melts at 420C and Al at 660C. So I am guessing that in terms of production cost they would be very similar in terms of material and energy costs.

Al has a density of 2.7 g/cm3 Zn is 7.13g/cm3

Zamak is a Zinc, alumiunium and copper alloy. There are various types with different proportions and Zanmak 7 has Ni rather than copper. They all have a density of around 6g/cm which is more in the ball park. Zamak 3 is very widely used (96% zinc, 4% aluminium, with an addition of Mg) It is only a hunch but I think this could be the alloy in question.

I do not have access to an accurate a or b grade measuring cylinder but it would be possible to measure the volume of metal wheels by late displacement and then calculate their densities. But even then there are various standard of each of the Zamak Alloys.

Anyone got a spectrometer? LOL
Okay I know I may sound crazy or delunsional but, when 4D was announced and shown, or at least the time 4D was announced, I remember seeing a beyblade named Delphinus with three other Beyblades.

I swear I wasn't talking about the game with Beyblade Hellfire Delphinus but if I am, please help me on this.
There's no Delphinus. Only Kreis Cygnus.
(Feb. 25, 2015  12:03 AM)MissingNo. Wrote: There's no Delphinus. Only Kreis Cygnus.

Aha! I knew I saw what looked like Kreis Cygnus, except I saw it as a slightly darker blue.

Thanks for helping!
Guys, anybody know about paypal and how secure it is? I plan on some purchases and paypal is the only method of payment.
(Feb. 28, 2015  3:30 PM)TigerChopsticks Wrote: Guys, anybody know about paypal and how secure it is? I plan on some purchases and paypal is the only method of payment.

It is the most secure option, and if you do things right (mark the transaction as a payment for goods instead as a transfer to a trusted friend or family member, if given the choice) Paypal will essentially always cover you in case of fraud. Everyone here who has a Paypal account can vouch for how great it is, and I seriously doubt there are any better and more secure options out there.

However, I have to remind you that this topic is strictly for questions on the Beyblade toys.
What's a good starter blade to get?

Do people still use the classic blades in battle? I think I prefer the old ones to new ones
Salamence91 Wrote:What's a good starter blade to get?

Do people still use the classic blades in battle? I think I prefer the old ones to new ones

Ultimately, that would depend on what kind of Beyblade type your looking to have parts for and what parts you actually have yourself. Here's this, even so; it would give you a good idea on what to buy that's competitive. Smile

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-What-to-...n-Standard

We have some Plastics & HMS events here, but they don't happen as frequently as the Metal Fight Beyblades ones, though, seeing as the present audience are more aware and familiar with MFB, also obviously the major fact being that it's impossible to find them in stores now a days, lol.
(Mar. 01, 2015  9:32 PM)Salamence91 Wrote: What's a good starter blade to get?

For Metal Fight Beyblade ? Technically, just like in plastics and HMS, there is no good out-of-the-box Beyblade. Personally, I would go for a left-spin Beyblade such as Dark Knight Dragooon, but on its own it really does no good. That Beyblade is part of the latest system, Zero-G, which is compatible with the rest of Metal Fight Beyblade but which requires two Chrome Wheels to be good at all. Otherwise, the attacking/main part is way too light.

Some people do, however it mostly revolves around one date : every year, in July, we hold an HMS & Plastics Remembrance Day where some regions do tournaments exclusively in those formats.
(Mar. 01, 2015  9:32 PM)Salamence91 Wrote: What's a good starter blade to get?

Generally, you will want more than one Beyblade since all of them perform better with customizations. For Standard and Zero-G formats, good purchases include:
  • BB-118 Phantom Orion B:D
  • BB-116 Death Quetzalcoatl 125RDF
  • BB6-16 Dark Knight/Ronin Dragooon LW160BSF
  • BBG-23 Bandid Genbull/Bandit Genbu F230TB
  • BBG-09 Thief Phoenic/Phoenix E230GCF
All of these contain parts to help you build solid (but not necessarily top tier) combinations in both formats, such as Death Orion B:D, Genbull Dragooon B:D, Genbull Dragooon F230GCF, and Genbull Dragooon E230RDF.

If you're willing to spend a bit more you will want to look into the following sets:
  • BB-121 Ultimate DX Set
  • BBG-024 Ultimate Synchrom Attack & Balance Set
  • BBG-025 Ultimate Synchrom Defense and Stamina Set
These sets contain parts such as Duo, LRF, Wyvang, SA165, Zirago, Metal Faces, and a Beylauncher L/R that allow will allow you to build more complex customizations.

If you're looking to get into Limited Format you will definitely want to buy the BB-96 Super Deck Set, as it contains two out-of-the-box top tier Limited Beyblades and other useful parts.

As for Plastics and HMS, the classic Beyblades, they are for the most part collectors' items nowadays. Many people on the WBO have them, and a few are selling them on this forum. Every year in about mid-july the WBO has an event called HMS & Plastics Remembrance Day, where several communities will host tournaments for the classic Beyblades. Outside of Remembrance day Plastics and HMS aren't used very often.

If you want to get into Plastics you will want to get:
  • Driger G
  • Driger S
  • Wolborg 4
Similarly to the first list, they will allow you to build basic competitive combos for Plastics, but they aren't top tier level.

HMS is far more expensive than Plastics and MFB, so it is harder to get into. If you can find a cheap Dark Effigy MS/Death Gargoyle MS that would probably be your best bet for an HMS starter Beyblade.
Yeah, if you want to go Zero-G, Dark Knight Dragooon may actually be where to start.

Unlike the majority of Chrome Wheels, Dragooon has use in all of the areas on the tier-list, expect Defense. It also has the upper hand against others, seeing as it's obviously the only left-spin one, too (obviously, there can be some disadvantages using left-spin against other certain things, though).
Thank you for the very helpful and informative advice wombat and honey.

I shall get on the case and get me some starters when I'm next paid Smile as for plastics I started out with them but don't have them anymore sadly Unhappy but I'm looking to trying to get my hands on on the ones I used to have specially if people in the uk end up hosting a Plastics Rememberance Day tourney Grin

But yeah thanks guys for your help Smile really appreciated :3
The beywiki doesn't say whether or not my berserker behemoth parts are any good. Does anyone know if they are?
(Mar. 02, 2015  6:12 PM)Ultimate Libra Wrote: The beywiki doesn't say whether or not my berserker behemoth parts are any good. Does anyone know if they are?

SR200 is good with TB, pretty sure it is used in Limited as Scythe Cancer SR200 TB. I think Behemoth is good paired with itself, but not too sure..