Ask a question, get an answer! #2

I'd like to know why "bei" is used in the word "beigoma" from which Beyblade is derived.

As I understand, "Bei" means rice and "Goma" means sesame seed. But in beigoma, most people assume "Goma" is actually derived from "Koma" which describes wooden toys including spinning tops. So the "Goma" part I understand - but why "Bei?" What has rice got to do with anything?!

I'm told there is a "bei" related insult in Japanese that equates to calling someone "hollow" on account of some traditional Japanese food which was wrapped and hollow inside. A hollow spinning top will spin better than a solid one, I guess. Or maybe a reference to the hollow shells they used as beigoma? Or perhaps something to do with the traditional Japanese rice grinder - a big stone bowl?

Does anyone know anything about this at all?
1. I know Wyvang is a good attack wheel when in synchrome mode, but if it is not in synchrome mode is it still that good? Besides, what makes Wyvang good even it (or in other words, all ZeroG chrome wheels) is not as balanced like the post zero-G metal wheels?

2. I saw some guys can make their Stome Capricorne jump for about nearly half a meter high. How the heck did they do that, since I can make it barely jump higher than 3cm?

3. How is the Hasbro Night Virgo doing? Is it any good?
(Feb. 11, 2014  4:09 PM)Dark_Mousy Wrote:
(Feb. 11, 2014  3:50 PM)AcidXblader Wrote:
(Feb. 11, 2014  3:46 PM)Dark_Mousy Wrote: Its actually in the rulebook about applying stickers. You cant put them in plaes they arent meant to go.

It's exactly what i don't do. I just put a tape with exactly the same shape on it.

Tape affects the performance. Ive tried it myself, so trust me i know.
Really? If it's not making contact the difference would be minimal - as long as the tape is a single layer of relatively thin tape (standard cellotape) I still don't really see how it would cause a significant change in performance - it'd be less than doubling up on stickers (tape being less absorbent of impacts than paper, also with friction probably closer to plain metal than glossy sticker paper's is), which, while almost certainly technically illegal, is something I'm pretty sure no one has ever disqualified someone for (the extra .01g being about as relevant as a very light breeze blowing one way at launch). Unless a part has particularly large stickers or stickers in a location that makes contact I really don't see it making a difference...

(Feb. 12, 2014  6:20 AM)Beylon Wrote: I'd like to know why "bei" is used in the word "beigoma" from which Beyblade is derived.

As I understand, "Bei" means rice and "Goma" means sesame seed. But in beigoma, most people assume "Goma" is actually derived from "Koma" which describes wooden toys including spinning tops. So the "Goma" part I understand - but why "Bei?" What has rice got to do with anything?!

I'm told there is a "bei" related insult in Japanese that equates to calling someone "hollow" on account of some traditional Japanese food which was wrapped and hollow inside. A hollow spinning top will spin better than a solid one, I guess. Or maybe a reference to the hollow shells they used as beigoma? Or perhaps something to do with the traditional Japanese rice grinder - a big stone bowl?

The stone bowl sounds possible, IIRC they were played on a skin or linen or something along those lines placed over an open container but I'm honestly not sure and a quick google didn't find me anything. Hopefully someone else can give you an actual answer.

(Feb. 12, 2014  10:43 AM)天翔翼 TenshouYoku Wrote: 1. I know Wyvang is a good attack wheel when in synchrome mode, but if it is not in synchrome mode is it still that good? Besides, what makes Wyvang good even it (or in other words, all ZeroG chrome wheels) is not as balanced like the post zero-G metal wheels?

2. I saw some guys can make their Stome Capricorne jump for about nearly half a meter high. How the heck did they do that, since I can make it barely jump higher than 3cm?

1. The often poor balance has nothing to do with why non-Synchromed Chrome Wheels don't work well - it comes down to being a little over half the weight of a synchrome, with weights on par with pre-Maximum Series releases (hence the inclusion in Limited Format). For its weight, Wyvang has solid smash in left spin and perhaps it would overshadow lightning if defense were able to use the disk tracks because it hits side-on vs lightning hitting much more effectively from slightly below (same height + stadium slope is generally sufficient for this, of course). The Limited Format Primer and Random Thoughts thread has tests of most of the chrome wheels for Attack in non-synchromed setups (145 height v 145 height defense, my tests include benchmarks). There are a few missing but apparently none of them have any real promise for attack bar Bahamdia (which is generally inferior to wyvang for straight-up attack) and Gryph, which has its own thread IIRC.

2. Unless they were using a nonstandard surface (like a trampoline), an unmodified storm capricorn would struggle to jump that high, perhaps a mold 1 Q (see the beywiki article, though this is just a guess as I've never seen one in action) and a more powerful than standard launcher?

3. Back in the day it was the one Legend wheel I had hope for after they came out and it sucked. Virgo is a rather heavy wheel so making it lighter is unlikely to do any good (and Virgo has a surprising amount of weight around the middle that would be removed to accommodate a clear wheel). Still, there's been no testing of it since Limited began so I can't give you an answer with total confidence.
(Feb. 11, 2014  8:21 PM)DRAGON KING Wrote: Is this stadium still legal? It has a few bumps in The corners & stuff.

I've got the same and it's the WORST ever. It is good just for RF and R2F, they spin at very high speed.
RF and R2F go at very high speeds in any stadium. In a stadium with no exits, I would never use something like RF or any rubber tip for that matter. Stamina FTW in Hasbro stadiums.
(Feb. 12, 2014  10:43 AM)天翔翼 TenshouYoku Wrote: 1. I know Wyvang is a good attack wheel when in synchrome mode, but if it is not in synchrome mode is it still that good? Besides, what makes Wyvang good even it (or in other words, all ZeroG chrome wheels) is not as balanced like the post zero-G metal wheels?

For all about Storm Capricorn, ask me, i'm the master of it on that website lol XD
Mine have a regular Q, and often bounce out of the stadium. It's very frequent because that combo is based on the total umbalance of the bey, and sometimes, in good conditions, it happen. It's like a attack bey smashing an other one out of stadium.
(Feb. 12, 2014  6:20 AM)Beylon Wrote: I'd like to know why "bei" is used in the word "beigoma" from which Beyblade is derived.

A Beigoma is actually simply a traditional Japanese spinning top, possibly specifically a fighting one. When Japanese people refer to those wooden or metallic spinning tops you used to wind with a string or just try to spin with your fingers, that is beigoma.

This is the video you should watch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ez9QR7Lq3o

And this Wikipedia article is rather complete too :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beigoma
(Feb. 12, 2014  3:55 PM)simon013 Wrote: what are faceboosters?

This topic is exclusively for questions on the Beyblade toys. You should look in our Help section right below the site banner : the answer will be there.
My cousin got many Plastic generation beys, such as Defense roller, Pumpkin or Galzzly. (All hasbro version) He also got a giant purple bey and i think it is electronic. Wich Plastic generation beys are very rare ?
(Feb. 12, 2014  10:21 PM)AcidXblader Wrote: My cousin got many Plastic generation beys, such as Defense roller, Pumpkin or Galzzly. (All hasbro version) He also got a giant purple bey and i think it is electronic. Wich Plastic generation beys are very rare ?
I think you mean Roller Defencer and Bump King Wink
This would belong in "Plastics Q&A" thread. Dranzer GT, Dragoon GT, Blizzard Orthrus, Zeus, Apollon, Venus, etc.
(Feb. 12, 2014  3:19 PM)Kai-V Wrote: A Beigoma is actually simply a traditional Japanese spinning top, possibly specifically a fighting one. When Japanese people refer to those wooden or metallic spinning tops you used to wind with a string or just try to spin with your fingers, that is beigoma.

This is the video you should watch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ez9QR7Lq3o

And this Wikipedia article is rather complete too :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beigoma

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. But I need to clarify for the sake of posterity...

The Wikipedia sources are all bad except one - the one on which the others are all based anyway. This is the good one. It is based on very credible sources such as the Japan Beigoma Association site. See the link for those sources. The article describes how all the different types of spinning top in Japan have/had special names - all ending in Goma/Koma. Beigoma is just one type of top among many.

All the other listed spinning top names make perfect sense: like "nagegoma" which basically means "throwing toy" or "throwing top" in reference to a type used in acrobatics/juggling or throwing onto a rail or pole as a performance. Or "hinerigoma" which is an old way of saying "finger toy" or "finger top" in reference to those with a stem spun using just your fingers. All the names relate to the way the tops are used - hence why I figured the "rice grinder" theory: beigoma are used in a gigantic bowl, quite unlike the other tops.

Maybe I'm crazy. But that's what I got from following your link. Perhaps I'll write something longer about this and post it later.

EDIT:

Urgh, just figured it out. Turns out "bei" is written multiple ways in Kanji. After "rice" which also means "America", the most common usage of "bei" means "dish" or "plate". Consider the names of other spinning top toys and "beigoma" obviously means "dish toy" or "plate top" which is freaking hilarious because that's pretty much a direct translation of Sonokong's "Top Plate". Top Plate in English translates directly as Beigoma in Japanese. Small world.
Which was most OP in the meta of its time, metal system Libra, basalt or F230(G)CF?
Is the Hasbro Duotron Launcher legal for tournament play? Like say you launch one Beyblade with the launcher even though it has two areas for launching. I'd assume not, but just to be sure.

Here's a picture:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hasbro+D...B400%3B400
It should be fine, although obviously you can only attach one Beyblade to it.
(Feb. 13, 2014  12:38 AM)DRAGON KING Wrote: Which was most OP in the meta of its time, metal system Libra, basalt or F230(G)CF?

Though I wasn't around during the time of Libra, I'm tempted to say that it was the most "OP" of its time, just because it was banned. As Beywiki puts it, "You either used Libra or you didn't win.".

F230GCF and Basalt were OP, but by no means unbeatable. Basalt Defense and Stamina could be taken out by a good Hell BD145EWD, and while I haven't been keeping up with F230GCF too much I'm pretty sure it goes down if you hit it hard enough.
(Feb. 13, 2014  12:38 AM)DRAGON KING Wrote: Which was most OP in the meta of its time, metal system Libra, basalt or F230(G)CF?

Its a toss up between Libra and Basalt for me. I didn't play in the Libra era. That was about 9 months before I came on the scene. But Basalt was insane during its era. It was annoying. It should've been banned. I say that to this day.

As far as F230 GCF/CF goes, in the Zero G meta yes its broken. In the BB10/Zero G not so much broken.
Re: "W100" Discussion of looong ago

(Mar. 02, 2012  2:36 AM)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Wrote: Also, the W105 that came with it was the same height as a 100 track, so physically, it's W100...

(Mar. 02, 2012  3:17 AM)Arupaeo Wrote: You measured with a micrometer?

(Mar. 02, 2012  11:18 AM)th!nk Wrote: 0.5mm is quite hard to see.

Well, I've got pictures now, lol: (Click to View)

So might this just be a manufacturing error, or are all Sonokong W105s as tall as a 100 Track?
What the hell Sonokong.
You gotta be kidding me...

That's gonna do us some favors over in the customization forum, eh?

Somebody with Sonokong tracks should do a quick check and see if any of the other heights are mismatched. If they are, it could pose a problem. Doubt it's anything besides W105, but it'd be nice to know if it was (or maybe not; better off not knowing how many test results have been skewed, LOL).
Lol, this is bad. I doubt anyone has used W105 in tests anyways.

Will SonoKong's W105 remain to be legal? Despite the height?
HAHAHAHAHA Oh man SonoKong's pre-Maximum Series shenanigans continue. Lighter metal wheels, differently molded Clear Wheels (including a giraffe that doesn't fit on many MW's), lots of loose metal and different shades of paint. 10/10 SonoKong good to see you learnt nothing from G-Revolution, hah. Still, this would have to be an improvement on the original, making two parts of their Galaxy Pegasis better than the original (and Galaxy worse, but uh, who cares about Galaxy lol).

I have a SonoKong Galaxy Pegasis so I will get mine out and check later today.

I vote for it to remain legal, and be called W105 (SonoKong 100 Mold) if this is the same for all of them.

@ "Most Broken" discussion, The F230-in-Zero-G discussion and what I hear about it reminds me very strongly of what happened with Basalt. Libra had the most potential to be broken given the parts around at the time (lack of good rubber defense tips), but whether it was or not, ehhhh.

EDIT: Yep! My SK W105 is also at a '100' height. Good spot, Angryface of oh wow like two years ago now has it really been so long (also damn I miss Arupaeo). It's also ~0.1g lighter than the original (i.e. Takara's is about 10% heavier, which isn't surprising).
I agree with Th!nk, it's not really a huge problem since its not really used much. Just specify what mold it is.