Ask a question, get an answer! #2

Can I post my combos in Build me a combo #2 to get opinions on them or is there a thread for them?
I think it would be safer for the build me a combo thread
To be safe, I'd like a forum admin/mod to answer this one...
(Jul. 03, 2013  12:58 AM)Cryptic Wrote: Can I post my combos in Build me a combo #2 to get opinions on them or is there a thread for them?

You could only make a topic about them if you had valid test results to support them, so if you do not have that, yes, post your customizations in the "Build me a combo!" thread and also list what other parts you own.
(Jun. 30, 2013  2:51 AM)Kei Wrote: Does anybody here have a mint Hasbro EWD? If so, can you post a picture of it clearly showing the sharpness of the tip? Thanks!

If anybody else has a mint Hasbro EWD, please post pictures.
I have a fairly new tip that's Hasbro. It's from the USA pack with Hell, Flame, and Beafowl. I'll try to get a picture up when I get to my house.
(Jul. 03, 2013  1:49 AM)Kei Wrote: If anybody else has a mint Hasbro EWD, please post pictures.

I had to open my NIB one for this, but whatever, might as well use it :

If you need more, or ones for Beywiki (?), just let me know!
Well, I'm not up to date...
But is it right, that Takara Tomy won't release any Zero-G Beyblades? Unhappy
(Jul. 03, 2013  8:40 AM)DrigerGatling Wrote: Well, I'm not up to date...
But is it right, that Takara Tomy won't release any Zero-G Beyblades? Unhappy

As in further Beyblades?
What Bottoms have the highest LAD besides RDF and EWD?
Bwd has good lad, wd, bsf, and i dont think theres any others.
Bottoms don't have LAD. Period. They have high stability/balance at low rotational velocity. You people need to drop LAD from your vocabulary: it's a barely existent phenomenon in MFB.
Seriously, do you see the Bottom absorbing hits and doing the effort to spin more after 'dying' ? Yo, it is a Bottom, it is just being spun on.
I know, I just need a Bottom with a very good spin velocity because I am using an RDF and don't have an EWD. I am testing Death___BD145RDF (Yukos idea) and I needed a good Bottom so Death can go up against a Dragooon Spin Equalizer.
WD, BWD, and BGrin would all be good.
Thank you Smile
(Jul. 03, 2013  7:13 AM)Cannon Wrote: If you need more, or ones for Beywiki (?), just let me know!

Thank you! Those are great. I was just looking into a possible mold difference between TAKARA-TOMY and Hasbro after having seen a flatter one at the last Toronto tournament. Based on the few sets of pictures I've seen, it doesn't seem like there is one.
(Jul. 03, 2013  11:46 PM)Nocto Wrote: Bottoms don't have LAD. Period. They have high stability/balance at low rotational velocity. You people need to drop LAD from your vocabulary: it's a barely existent phenomenon in MFB.

Haha, this is rather true; LAD has become widely used for something that it's technically not, and lord knows some of my older posts in Advanced might make up a small part of the reason behind that x)
Yes Ingulit it's all your fault. Everyone start a petition to have him banned!

Even I am confused then what it should be called when combos like Reviser Dragooon SA165EWD get those extra spins. I didn't word that well, eh...
LOL Tri xD

I'd like to say Reviser Dragooon SA165EWD actually does have the "Life-After-Death" that plastics are known for, or at least it's about as close as a MFB custom can get. That's more due to SA165's perfectly round shape, though; even after it falls over, it can rotate on SA165 for a bit, which IIRC is what LAD is supposed to mean.
Correction: Good LAD is barely existent in MFB. Practically everything spins for some tiny amount after falling over, it's just in MFB it isn't really much at all. SA165 has a little, some of the round-underside wheels have a little, and then there's B: D which continues spinning with much lower kinetic energy than other parts but doesn't topple which falls into our "not LAD" category...

I use the term wrong on occasion too, a more correct term for what tips have would be precession after losing balance, I guess.
Then again, is it really that big a deal when we're still referring to the beyblade continuing to spin after losing balance/enough speed to stay fully upright, even if nothing but the tip has touched the floor yet? I have to disagree with Nocto on what it actually is, at least for RDF, as on RDF it is that the tip precesses with the plastic walls and the tip forming the floor contact surface - the beyblade has already lost balance, at least by my definitions.

In plastics, certain bases make the difference quite meaningless, Customize Metal Sharp Base (Voltaic Ape) has its metal sharp tip and then a sloped plastic section that surrounds it, giving a similar shape to EWD, if a bit smaller. When the beyblade is no longer spinning fast enough to keep balanced on the metal sharp tip, it then rolls around pretty much just like the D tips do late-game on the plastic part. Without those surrounds, it would topple like most bases do when they lose balance, but the surrounds add to it's post-losing-balance precession. Heck, the lower section of Spiral Change Base (Dranzer S) and Full Auto Clutch Base (Driger F) do pretty much the exact same thing - the beyblade hasn't fully toppled because of the parts surrounding the tip. SCB at least has some actual LAD but at least from memory the post-losing-tip-balance-precession is much more significant. Both this and 'true' LAD serve the same function - continued survival when a top is no longer spinning fast enough to remain fully upright, and it is entirely possible for a part with less 'true' LAD to beat one with more if it has more post-loss-of-tip-balance-precession (FACB vs Defense Grip Base 2, for example), all that matters is who can continue spinning as both beyblades approach zero RPM, and the fact is that some bases don't use 'true' LAD to do this.

With cases like that, do we really need to come up with another term for post-loss-of-tip-balance-precession so we have regular survival, post-loss-of-tip-balance-precession AND base-touching-the-ground-precession? Why not just consider "death" the point of loss of tip balance (where you're no longer spinning on the point of the tip but instead the sides of the tip, the base or whatever), rather than when the beyblade's weight disk or the nearest part to it that can touch the stadium floor touches the stadium floor?

I might be wrong but it really does strike me as a pointless distinction based on an arbitrary decision of what counts as 'death' (when death would actually be complete cessation of rotation, at which point you lose), though perhaps the right thing to do would be to scrap the term all together and come up with something else that covers ability to spin with very little energy.
Let's review the definition of Life After Death on Beywiki:

Beywiki Wrote:The origin of the name "Zombie" is not its ability to steal spin, but its "life after death" ability. The term "Life After Death" is used to describe a zombie's ability to continue spinning on its side after it has fallen over. If your Beyblade is still making complete rotations, it is still considered to be spinning. To have this ability, your Beyblade must be perfectly round at the points that touch the stadium floor when it falls over. For this reason, Wide Survivor is the best weight disk to use on zombie type combos.

We don't need another term for "post-loss-of-tip-balance-precession" because that is simply known as "precession". "base-touching-the-ground-precession" is known as Life After Death. There's a clear distinction between the two. Precessing means that you are still upright/wobbling to some degree. LAD means that you have completely lost balance and are rotating on your side, scraping the stadium floor.

Saying that something like RDF has LAD makes no sense because that term only refers to the act of spinning after having fallen over. However, if we want to get technical, the definition above implies that the term was invented exclusively to describe what Zombies attempt to do after they call over. But I think it's fine to use the term outside of that context because, as you said th!nk, "Practically everything spins for some tiny amount after falling over". It's just a matter of whether something has good Life After Death or not.
That's all perfectly fine, but what about the point I raised about precession and LAD having interchangeable functions in practise? Parts with good precession function the same as parts with good LAD, particularly in spin stealing setups, and RDF sometimes entirely supplants LAD by preventing the beyblade from toppling over fully. It just seems like a pointless distinction between two things that are basically identical in function (continuing to spin when a part doesn't have enough energy to maintain stable), and that's not counting that free-spinning flat tips can sometimes leave a beyblade standing, spinning at low RPM. And, as I said, does it really matter that the centre pole of the top is at a slightly different non-90-degree angle to the surface that requires additional energy to recover from (that is, precession vs LAD)? Ability to continue spinning at low rpm/energy seems like a more relevant thing to use as a measure of late-game survival to me, especially when the current system involves two or more different terms that describe different components of that.
Why does friction speed up a net and not slow it down?