4-Layer Series

Quote:The 4-Layer series are the very first generation of beyblades released which appeared as # series in the toy line.

==Parts==

[[Spin Gear]] – Unlike the other series of the plastics generation beyblades, the 4-Layer series beyblades have a non detachable Spin Gears. It's SG is permanently fixed on the Blade Base with the means of screws.

[[Blade Base]] - Since the 4 Layer series's beyblades have fixed SG on its blade base, therefore, the clips are not necessary because the SG is already held in place with the screws. The mechanism of this series's blade bases are also very simple with little complexity, unlike the clutched bases and other complex blade bases of the later release.

==Overall==

The inability to swap SGs has made this series incompatible with the later series (i.e [[5-Layer Series]] & [[6-Layer Series]]). As a result, this series is heavily outclassed in term of parts and compatibility with little parts (i.e. Attack Ring & Blade Base) that are usable for customization.
it has been a long time since my last draft...i might be rusty..haha

also..correct me on this.... "...released which appeared as # series in the toy line." if i am wrong..

for this part "....The mechanism of this series's blade bases are also very simple with little complexity, unlike the clutched bases and other complex blade bases of the later release.", i dont know if we should include this..or leave it...

while...i find only little parts from this series that is good...(some of the ARs that are usable for compact, grip attacker's bb, etc...)
it's not rusty.
but i wonder why you used the strike-out?
because..i dont know whether i should include this or not..haha...
i'm not entirely sure about the whole thing either...XD
Here's a draft I did a while ago:

Quote:The 4 Layer system is the first series of beyblades made up of only four parts. At this point the Spin Gear hadn’t been created so what was later the Spin Gear and Blade Base was just the Blade Base at this point. They also appeared later on with the Hidden Spirit beyblades all being of the 4 layer series.

==Parts==
Bit chip – Although providing nothing to the beyblade the bit chips that came with the 4 layer series had the short type bit chip and a clear plastic bit protector to go over it. These weren’t used with Hasbro releases of the 4 layer beyblades.
Blade Base – The Blade Bases of the made up all the parts of the bottom part of the beyblade.

==Overall==
Generally the series wasn’t competitive although there are a few shining stars with Grip Attacker, Griffolyon and Ultimate Frostic dranzer having useful parts. The series made a small comeback with Hasbro releasing some of the early ones that they neglected in the G revolution era. Also while not being competitive it did release the main series of beyblades with the gimmick they would be known for.
(Jan. 01, 2013  9:52 PM)Ultra Wrote: Here's one I did a few months ago but never posted which is more detailed than yours

A little known social concept called 'tact' is very important in situations like these...I understand being blunt, but this could be taken the wrong way incredibly easily. Either way, you didn't post it first so chill out about that.

Yes it is a better draft, but Benjo isn't exactly a native English speaker as you know and he hasn't written for Beywiki in some time.

If you would like, I could also do some small grammar fixes on your draft as well Ultra.
Whoops. After reading that over that sounded really rude when I didn't mean for it to be at all. Sorry.
Here's a quick infodump on things I think should be included in the article in a more formal manner:
The way I see it, the 4 layer system is mostly split in two parts, #1-#9, which are all very simple, being clones of three main beyblades with the three different weight disks, all very basic spinning tops with an element of customization. From these, only Wing Cross is a competitive part, owing primarily to its simple yet effective design which is well balanced and suffers from relatively low recoil (especially when used with a round weight disk, thanks to its small size). Semi-Flat Base also has some use for survival thanks to decent balance and the fact it has a small amount of Life-After-Death, but is heavily outclassed by the many later releases with much better Life-After-Death (especially those with bearings).

#13 jumping base is where more experimental ideas start being introduced, beginning with Bakushin-Oh and Pumpking, whose Attack Rings focus on affecting Air Flow (Down Force and Upper Force respectively). Of these more experimental beys, many introduced concepts that would be re-used in later releases - defensive rollers, free spinning (Sparkling Attacker) and fixed (bound attacker and defenser) sub-rings, clutches (ACB), grip (Grip Attacker), metal balls for weight and their movement gimmick (Draciel MBD) and bearings (MDBS) and bakushin-oh's Down Force gimmick, off the top of my head.
Some of the gimmicks were never seen again, such as Spring-Based wings, offensive rollers, and Lift/"Upper Force" (Pumpking), lending even further to the experimental feel of these releases.

Note: The spin up guide book vol 1 lumps bakushin-oh and Pumpking in with the others, but I think their AR names are more than enough indication that they are a pair just as the bound, wing, and roller beys are (as well as that they have a gimmick, seeing as not all gimmick beys had pairs - sparkling attacker for example).

Also, Ultra, I wouldn't use Griffolyon as an example, as calling it part of the 4-layer system is questionable (though I did call it that in the beybox, the AR can be used in left spin, and the SG is built differently (two screws rather than one). It does have 4 layers, but I wouldn't include it as an example, especially as the one useful part lacks one of the defining traits of the 4-layer system AR's (the lack of reversibility).

The name is Pumpking? Not Bumpking?
Wha-
Everything I know is a lie...

Would a mention of fragility make sense, considering how they never went back to the experimental gimmicks?
I posted about it in one of the plastics threads a while back.

The fragility was due more to the thin-ness of AR's in this series. That thin-ness and resultant fragility would be worth mentioning. (FWIW though as I said they went back to most of those gimmicks in later beys).
Hahah..no problem at all guys...besides i just made it within few hours...unlike other drafts that i have made which i spent more times looking at them..hahaha

Btw, the bit chip is really one thing that i've missed a lot..i might be a bit confuse since earlier series of 5 layer series also has that bit protector...but i notice that the bit protector type bit chip are quite easy to detache duento impact...i dont know if everybody else are the same..

Should we include this series has # as its code ?
Yes include the bit chip protectors. Yes we should talk about the # as it's code.

@Think:

Fine I guess.
Some bit chip protectors are loose, some are tight. The small bit chips can be dislodged on many AR's when the small protrusions that hold them in place break off (which is quite common). This could be mentioned, but I don't think this is the place to detail it, as that part came with later beys as well - I think it's best left for a bit chip article.

I'm not sure if that's the correct name but in case you haven't taken it from there I did post the correct name at one point. I can't recall off the top of my head whether or not that is it and I don't have my books nearby at the moment to check.

(Jan. 02, 2013  2:17 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: The name is Pumpking? Not Bumpking?
Wha-

Would a mention of fragility make sense, considering how they never went back to the experimental gimmicks?

@ Ga' Hooleone: Pumpking is the Japanese name for Bump King, to give you a heads-up
(Jan. 03, 2013  3:14 AM)T. L-Drago 9207 Wrote:
(Jan. 02, 2013  2:17 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: The name is Pumpking? Not Bumpking?
Wha-

@ Ga' Hooleone: Pumpking is the Japanese name for Bump King, to give you a heads-up

... Which is exactly what we were both discussing, to give you a heads-up
(Jan. 01, 2013  9:52 PM)Ultra Wrote:
Quote:The 4 Layer system is the first series of beyblades that are made up of only four parts that are bit chip, attack ring, weight disk and blade base. This 4-Layer series are usually noted as # series in the toy line. They also appeared later on with the Hidden Spirit beyblades all being of the 4 layer series.

==Parts==
Bit chip – Although providing nothing much to the beyblade,the bit chips that came with the 4 layer series had the short type bit chip and a clear plastic bit protector to go over it. These weren’t used with Hasbro releases of the 4 layer beyblades.

Blade Base – In 4 layer system beyblades, the Spin Gear have not been created where the entire blade base works similarly spin gear + blade base in the later series of the beyblades : 5 Layer system and Engine Gear series. A prong is fixed into the blade base with the mean of a screw that resembles the Spin Gear. Hence, reducing the ability of this series to swap SGs.

==Overall==
The inability to swap SGs has made this series less competitive compared with the later release of new beyblade system, although there are a few shining stars such as Grip Attacker and Ultimate Frostic Dranzer that have useful parts. This series made a small comeback with Hasbro releasing some of the early 4 Layer series that they neglected in the G revolution era. Also, while not being competitive it did release the main series of beyblades with the gimmick they would have been known for.
came up with this just now..but..i dont know if the term prong is correct.

while..this part.. "At this point the Spin Gear hadn’t been created so what was later the Spin Gear and Blade Base was just the Blade Base at this point"
i dont think i understand much reading it..but i got your point there...i think this one could be reworded??